New Contributor
kmf592

7 month old eating and sleeping schedule help

I am a stay at home mother of my 7 month old daughter. She is just amazing...when  she was a newborn she only fussed when hungry, ate every 4 hours and would sleep 5-10 hours at night, we were so blessed! We moved when she was 4 months old and she was still good. Started baby cereal at 4 1/2 months (BF every 2hours) and then baby food at 5 1/2 months (BF every 3hours)...she just loves food! At the same time though, she begin fussing and waking up at night to breastfeed. I attributed that all to teething, because poor thing has been teething since 3 1/2 months :smileysad: still no teeth! And since 6 months old, she is now constantly hungry and I don't know what I'm doing wrong... Here is her about schedule:

7am nurses back to bed
8:30am wake up and have oatmeal and breakfast with mama.
9:30/10am nurses and plays
~11,naps (20-30min only)
Noon nurses
1:15pm Lunch 3.5oz Gerber 2nd Fruits
2:15/2:30 nurses 
Usually takes another 30 min nap
Plays til supper at 5:15 which is 3.5 oz Gerber 2nd Meals (ie Sweet Potato, Turkey and whole grains)
Then she nurses afterwards ~5:30/6pm
6-6:30 nap
Plays, we sing and dance and start to get quiet and ready for bed at 8:15/8:30 she breastfeeds, we read, and she's asleep by 8:45pm
12:30am wakes to nurse
4am nurses 
7am wakes to nurse.

OKAY...so my problem is she only sleeps about 12-13.5hours a day..is that even normal or should she get more? She occassionally will nap for that hour or when we're running errands she'll get extra sleep by being in her car seat too.
ALSO, she is fussy...I'm not sure if I'm feeding her enough or should I supplement with formula throughout the day to make longer periods in between? I'm afraid she's just not getting enough breastmilk which is odd because my pediatrician told me I had an oversupply (back at 4month checkup) but she'll nurse for about 5 min and refuses more...once she's done she's done.
She is a healthy growing baby..tripled her birth weight by 6months :smileyhappy: She now crawls though and like I said has been on solids about two months now so should I give her more during the day?
I'm sorry for just rambling but I am getting concerned and do not yet have a pediatrician that we trust down here yet...Any suggestions would help on both the sleeping part and the feeding part PLEASE! 
Also fussy-ness could be we don't allow her to cry as much as she should, like self soothe, because of living with MIL lol but it's become that my LO has seperation anxiety if I put her down and even stand up if noone is there to play or talk to her :/
First time mama needs help! Thank you in advance!

Please use plain text.
billandtinajanzen

Re: 7 month old eating and sleeping schedule help

Why did you start giving anything beside nursing?  I nursed my last son on demand whenever he wanted it all the way to 11 mths.  He slept thru the nites and my bed was always wet from all my milk.  I went to all the Le Leche League meetings for nursing mothers and took my son along.  It is amazing how much I learned from the other young mothers there!

Posted from Microsoft Windows RT Tablet
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
masastanis

Hi momma! I am a momma to six and I have a degree in early childhood education with a minor in child development and a specialty in infant and toddler care, so my advice to you is based on my 17 years of experience, education, and training. First, let me address the sleeping - 12 to 14 hours of sleep a day at her age is plenty! Most babies her age would most likely take a morning nap, afternoon nap, and sleep at night to get those hours, but you have to find what works for you, for her, and for the family's schedule. Looking at her feeding schedule though, to me, it looks as if you are overfeeding her from morning to lunch - one hour to 1 1/2 hours in between feedings is not enough of a break between meals and this can have long term effects, setting her up for unhealthy eating habits; she really should be able to go longer between meals, maybe not much - but some. I suggest nursing her when she first wakes up, then around 9ish - feed her breakfast and nurse her right after her solids, just before her solid, or JUST before her morning nap, but don't nurse her to sleep; when she wakes from nap, feed her lunch and again, nurse her just before her nap - if she needs to nurse after nap, I think that is okay, but don't feed her dinner until 5:30/6 and try to discourage the late nap, but I know sometimes it can't be helped. It sounds to me, like she's over the nursing, but the question is, will she take a bottle? Can you pump? (I couldn't) Nothing wrong with formula (I did both) - you can introduce a sippy cup now too. Nurse her again before bed and through the night, but I've found most doctors say that by 9 months they should not be waking to eat at night, so if she still is, I would re-evaluate her night time feeding routine. As for the teeth - no worries...all kids cut teeth differently! My youngest two didn't get even one until they were 16 months old! No joke! I have found that Hyland's teething tablets are a miracle with teething and I also give Motrin when they are super fussy, because that is what my ped recommends. Just remember that ALL children are different - she is your first and if she isn't your only child, you will understand this! LOL! Chin up momma - hope this helps you some!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

She is probably getting plenty of breastmilk even if she is only nursing for 5 minutes at a time. I had oversupply with my oldest kid, and it wasn't unusual for her to only nurse for 3-5 minutes and then be all full and done. What you can do to help her stop nursing at night, is to start seperating nursing from bedtime. You can do that by slowly working it forward in the day/ a little bit away from naps by scheduling something else between nursing and going down to sleep. Naps really should be longer IMO. 30 minutes isn't really enough time for a baby to actually fully recharge, but they should get longer if she doesn't need to nurse to fall asleep anymore.

The seperation anxiety is completely normal for a kid her age. It's nothing that you did wrong. It's actually a really good thing that she's showing signs of seperation anxiety right now, because it means that she recognizes you as her caregiver.

A book you can look into that has example schedules of naps/ meals/ etc and sleeping tips is Good Night, Sleep Tight. It has practical advice for birth through elementary school age kids.

She might also be fussy because of some of the solid foods that she's getting. Try cutting out things like oatmeal and other binding foods and see if it makes a difference. Also I would recommend breastfeeding BEFORE solids at her age still. Breastmilk is where most of her nutrition/ calories are coming from and if she's getting too full on solids, she'll not take in enough of what she really needs.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kmf592

I wanted to nurse as long as possible, but like I said she started getting fussier around 5months and my mother in law suggested supplementing with formula to help her get fuller. I only gave her a bottle before bedtime, but now it's after lunch and before bedtime, but I don't see the point because she'll only take 2 ounces at a time lol BF is still a priority to me, but i'm slowly losing support because of her cranki-ness. Basically testing different methods to help her and I've come to the conclusion it's seperation anxiety because she's perfectly fine in my arms. I never got taught how to nurse besides after having her, and I'm sure there's more to learn as she's growing and we're struggling, I have checked out their page, there's just nothing in my area. Thanks though!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kmf592

Hey, I appreciate you responding, sounds like you have your hands full!
Yes, the sleeping is the least of my worries besides her cat naps  and not getting much done, but she is very alert and doesn't like to miss anything at this age. For feeding, I was afraid there'd be long term effects, but never considered them as much as I should. She used to have long breaks between meals(3-4 hours), it just needs to get back to that, because I believe too she's been getting overfed for her age, although she is a pretty good sized baby. I like to nurse before solids, just wasn't sure if she needed something afterwards to wash it down? Sounds like an easier plan because now it seems I'm always feeding her lol Thank you. I was afraid she is starting to not like nursing, but she rams her head into my chest when she's hungry, it just doesn't seem like she gets a whole lot like I'd like her too.  I just don't want to start the weaning yet. I've pumped before but my pump lost suction so I haven't even bothered lately. As for her liking the formula, yes she will take a bottle when we're out and she's hungry. At home she gets excited when she sees me making one, but then just plays with it. For night-time, I know for a fact she can go through the night, especially when I feed her and give her a couple ounces of formula before laying her down to bed. It is just when she wakes up, she's wide awake and it's hard to calm her down, it's easier to nurse her so she's tired again, that's probably my mistake. My peditrician said the same-16 months, I just didn't think that was possible, I feel so bad to have to go that long. Thank you so much for the advice-it helps, I know I'm still learning this stuff, trying to just be patient and see what works to have a better idea on the next one :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kmf592

Cassie186-
Thanks for responding. Yes my peditrician said that was normal for an oversupply to only nurse that long. I really don't like nursing her to sleep during the day and try not to do it, lately she fights me to take a nap though. 30 minutes isn't long, I know but I can't make her sleep longer lol 
I thought the same thing about that too, and we recently had relatives here and she was really good around them, and loved the kids of course, so anxiety wasn't too bad. Thanks for telling me about that book, I'll look into it :smileyhappy:
Even at this age, breastmilk is their main source of nutrician right? I was told to Breastfeed before solids and do, but then I wait before giving her solids right away. She's an excellent eater, I just wasn't sure if they needed an actual liquid at this age with the solids? Being a new mom is just making me try different things to see what works and doesn't, so I will havve to try this, thank you!

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 28 members 767 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: