ptg578235

6 month HORRIBLE sleeping.

I have a 6.5 month old, breastfed baby boy named Wyatt and for the past month sleep has really begun to be a problem. During the day he is as happy as can be and takes 2-3 naps in his crib. During the day he doesn’t mind sleeping in his crib and will even play in it. At night however, as soon as he knows it is bedtime he starts getting anxious. We follow the same bed time routine every night: bath, book, eat then sleep. There is a night light that lets off a soft light so that it is dark, but not too dark and a sound machine. Once I get ready to place him in his crib, drowsy or asleep, he will freak out with tears, screaming, the whole nine yards. My husband and I have tried crying it out with regular checking intervals but this makes it worse. Every time one of us would go and do the check, he would get even louder and more distraught. He never settled and even puked so I am no longer considering this an option for us.

I have gone back to co-sleeping as this is the only way either of us gets any sleep but I would really like him to get back to his own room so my husband doesn’t have to sleep on the couch anymore. We originally co-slept from when he was a newborn until he was 4.5 months. Also, he has slept from 7am-7pm once before, has done a 6 hour stretch once but usually had a 4/5 hour long stretch a night coupled with 3 hour stretches. I would usually only have to feed him once, maybe twice during these nights. Now, he wakes up every two hours at the latest and will not fall back asleep unless I breastfeed him. I wouldn’t mind it if he were hungry, but he is just comfort nursing and will go back to sleep almost immediately after he latches. We are just at a loss as to what to do to get him back into his room and sleeping more than an hour or two at a time. Thanks for any help!! ((Sorry this is so long too))

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mickandheids

Re: 6 month HORRIBLE sleeping.

Hey! Just posted this to someone else as well but try this out. Let me know if this helped!!

Try the following - put your baby in your stroller, place a clothiung hanger on the floor and roll your stroller over it back and forth. My nephew falls asleep immediately. 

If this doesn't work, follow the following:

Dr. Harvey Karp’s 5 S's

If your baby seems to be crying for “no reason,” pediatrician Harvey Karp advises parents to use the Five S's, which recreate the womb environment and activate your baby’s calming reflex.

• Swaddling. Wrap your baby in a blanket so he feels secure.
  • Side or stomach position. Hold your baby so he's lying on his side or stomach. But always put him on his back when he goes to sleep.
  • Shushing. Create "white noise" that drowns out other noises: run the vacuum cleaner, hair drier, fan or clothes drier.
  • Swinging. Create a rhythmic motion of any kind. For example, take your baby for a ride in a stroller or car.
  • Sucking. Let the baby suck on something, such as a pacifier.
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 465 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: