New Contributor
jpsmommy

Re: Where Should My Newborn Sleep?

We kept a travel bed in our room for our first, but I felt it wasn't supportive enough and switched to his crib, in his room, when he was around a month old. This worked really well for us. With my second, we had decided to keep the crib in our room for the first 3 months. My son never slept in it though. He would only sleep on people. My husband and I just took turns holding him all night, with attempts of laying him down each night. It wasn't until he was a year old that he'd sleep all night, and even then, part of the night was in bed with us. We like co-sleeping, so this was mostly by choice. I'd say whatever you choose, try to switch baby to his/her own bed in his/ her own room by one month. As long as they are willing, life is much easier when you can do this. If your baby is like my second though, understand that they will grow up so fast, so just do what works best for your whole family at the time. Don't worry, all those Mommy instinicts will kick in quickly.

Please use plain text.
courtneylsmith

The rock n play is the best invention ever. I have a 4 month old that is about 13 lbs still sleeping right beside our bed in it. We have had no problems at all with the mold that caused a previous recall. That was 3 yrs ago so I am assuming the issue has been fixed. I have 3 other children (10,8,6) and I have done all the other things of which a bassinet worked the best since babies do not like big open spaces. It tends to wake them up due to the startle reflex. It may just be her but I've gotten more sleep with this baby than any of the others and I contribute it to the incline of the sleeper.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
jlbj200791158

One rule we made was no children in bed with us. Lol now my son is 6 and now sleeps with us. It all got started when he was having night mares. At the age of 4. I was so tired that it was easier for him to sleep with us. And now my husband is in the guest room. I'm not liking that. My advice move the baby to their own room. Because it's important to have time with you're spouse. Having kids and trying to find balance is very hard to do. Good luck with your choice! This from two parents that sleep in separate beds and having a tough married life!
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

Re: the post on the rock and play recall, we've never had an issue with mold in ours. Basically it's a matter of keeping it clean. If your baby gets the thing wet by spitting up all over the place, etc cleaning it out really well will keep the mold from happening. It's an issue with the cover getting soaked and then it dries out really slow inbetween the hard shell on it and the soft cover, so as long as you're making sure the cover is 100% dry after you wash it before putting it back on, and cleaning it if it's starting to look gross, will keep things good to go.

Also according to the recall if you do find mold, they'll give you special cleaning instructions to kill it off before you use it again. But knowing what it has taken for clothing, etc that we have had get mildewed, those things pretty much have to be soaked or exposed to extremely high humidity and temp fluctuations before it does mildew.

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

I used a bassinet for my babies. They all used the same one. You are right though, they don't use it for long and had I not had more than one child use it, it would have really been a waste of money.
~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
dutch_8604

We had a bassinet for both girls. We moved our oldest into her room (crib) at two months old our youngest just moved into her room at 8 months because she was and still is sometimes waking up at night. They share a room so we didn't want her waking up big sister which is why we waited so long. But we also used one of the pack and play bassinets with our youngest when she out grew her bassinet which was fast she was 6 weeks old when she was too big for it. They don't look sturdy but they are. Our two year old actually managed to climb in it one day and it didn't show any signs if failure. But it's whatever you are comfortable with as well. We knew we were having at least 2 and close together which was why we got the bassinet. But the pack and play has been used a lot more. I hope this has helped.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
h_larade

We did the playpen with the bassinet part it worked great for us. I had also used a bassinet before buti just like the multi use of the play pen and how it was easy to store when not being used.
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 3,817 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: