Contributor
greeneyes4984

My expereince with 1st Trimester Screening and CVS testing

[ Edited ]

I would like to share with you my expereince with my 1st trimester screening. so that if this were to happen to you, you wont be a nervous wreck.

I had my 1st trimester screening (blood work & ultrasound) about 3 weeks ago. I immediately got a call from my OB that I am considered high risk for Down Syndrome due to my Nuchocal Translucency (liquid in the back of the baby's neck) was 3.6mm (normal <3mm) so he was concerned and referred me to a genetic consoler. the earliest appointment they had was 1wk from when the doctor informed me. This is my 1st baby so I was a nervous wreck.

I went to the Genetic consoler she was great she explained to me the possibilities. and explained that sometimes Down Syndrome can occur from Genetics but also it depends on how the baby is formed during the process. So Down Syndrome could be from genetics and could not. She provided me with options for testing.

CVS- taking a sample from the placenta to check the chromosomes 99.9% accurate 1:300 chance of miscarrage. Done within 13-14 wks pregnant, response in 6-10 days

Amino- take amniotic fluid sample. 99.9% accurate, 1:400 chance of miscarrage. Done 16 weeks and above, response in 6-10 days  

cfDNA- blood work only 96% accurate. no chance of miscarrage. response in 48 hrs. Insurance wont cover if the 1st trimester screening was already done. if you want to do this one the cost is $950.00 out of pocket.

I had the CVS done. It did not hurt. they go in vaginaly and is just like a papsmear. it is ultrasound guided so both the tech and the doctor need to be in the room. No anesthesia needed. the doctor aspirates a small piece of the placenta and then its sent into the lab. Bed rest is necessary for 48hrs after the procedure. No physical activity (excerise, bending, sqauting, picking up heavy objects) , no cooking (the best excuse ever), no sex for 1wk. I had the test done last tuesday i got my results today. exactly 7 days.

the results is that the baby is fine! he's a beautiful and healthy baby boy. Oh by the way since they are checking the chromosomes they also confirm the sex. so its def a boy :smileyhappy:.

I hope this helps anyone who might be going through something similar.

have faith and remember to stay calm if this situation might be yours as well. remember he/she feels the stress and the worry you are experiencing. think posiitve and pray to whomever you belive in. I know that from this experiene I am closer to God now more than ever.

Community Manager
ModChristine

Re: scariest 3 wks of my life.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  I'm sure it will help others to read this in times of uncertainty!

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Contributor
ccwsmom

Re: scariest 3 wks of my life.

That would have been scary, I'm so glad every thing turned out good for you and congrats again on having a boy :smileyvery-happy:  . I had the ultrascreen done and they told me it was to early to tell what the baby was but the results all turned out great so that was a relief. You're lucky you got to find out the sex, I'm going crazy waiting lol.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
New Contributor
heleen.africa

Re: My expereince with 1st Trimester Screening and CVS testing

Thanks for Sharing your story, I have gone through something similar where i had my 1st trimester test done for downs and mine came back as high risk , I was not given a reason as to why my blood work came back as high risk and what my ratio was and my gynie immediately suggested i do the Amnio. I did the Amnio on the 15/10/2013 @ 15 weeks and was told the results can take up to 3 weeks.

I'm in such a state right now as the wait of rsults is just to long and a nightmare. This is my first baby and i pray to God that all goes well..
Contributor
greeneyes4984

Hi heleen.africa,

It is a very nerve wrenching time. i don’t know what your ration is but mine was 1:28 and the NT was at 3.6mm. when my test came back it was negative for downs.

Ask your doctor what the NT (nocheal translucency) is.  May I offer one suggestion, don't go crazy going on line because everyone has a different scenario and different opinions. during the wait for my results i would be online all the time looking at what people had to say about CVS and response and i would get even more fraustrated and anxious.  This is the time where you need to be calm and think positive I know its hard but I went through the wait too and was extremely anxious.

I hope and pray that everything turns out good for you and the baby.

Keep in touch

New Contributor
heleen.africa

Thanks Greeneyes I will keep you updated on the progress. hoping to get my results by next week.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 7 members 644 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: