Contributor
ccwsmom

First Trimester Screen/ Ultrascreen

[ Edited ]

I was just wondering if any of you have an ultrascreen test set up? I have mine set up to be done on Sep 26 and I'm a little bit nervous. Have any of you had this done in previous pregnancies? Here is a link that explains the test more for anyone who might want info on it: http://americanpregnancy.org/prenataltesting/firstscreen.html The reason I'm a little nervous is because I've found some sites where people have posted saying they got back results that showed their babies were at an increased risk so they worried a lot and their babies ended up being fine. I don't know I just can't shake the nervous feeling. I guess most people are probably like that with any test they have to get done.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Contributor
greeneyes4984

Re: First Trimester Screen/ Ultrascreen

HI

I'm actually having the test done today and I to am a nervous wreck. but i'm just praying to god that everything comes out fine.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

I didn't have the tests done with my other two pregnancies and won't with this one. Partly due to cost (we're on a high deductible plan), partly due to the false worry it can cause since it only calculates increased risk, not whether there is a problem or not, and partly due to the fact that no matter what, we would be going forward anyways regardless of any outcome a test would show. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
greeneyes4984

So i had the test done yesterday. it actually wasn't all that bad. it was a 10 minute ultrasond very very detailed with i loved becuase i havent seen my baby that exact so i was happy. the blood work, atleast with my doctor it was great. in teh article you provided it says that the blood work can be 5-10 minutes long.... well it should be more like 5-10 seconds long. its one a finger **bleep** like when you check your glucose. they put the blood in a card like container with 6 drops of blood. i should have the reponse within 6-10 business days i cant wait... but atleast i have the peice of mind that my baby looks healthy all 10 fingers, all 10 toes, spines looks great, and is moving around like crazy... oh did i forget to tell you... ITS A BOY! the doctor says its too early to be certain i"m only 12 weeks but they saw a little peepee :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ccwsmom

I didn't have one with my first two either but because I'm older (31) and I'm high risk due to my diabetes my doctor suggested I have it done. I am nervous because I'm the type who will worry over the results. I'm glad it doesn't take that long and I am looking forward to seeing the baby in more detail. I've had a few ultrasounds with my doctor on her ultrasound machines but she said I'd be amazed at how much more detailed it will be at my ultrascreen. I know there is a lot of people go back and forth on if you can tell what the sex is or not but I would LOVE to find out this early. The worst part of finding out I was pregnant at such an early week is the wait it's taking to find out what I'm having. I don't even know why I want to find out so bad with this one I wasn't this impatient with my first two but I want to know so bad. I'm glad the test will be pretty quick, I'm tired of giving blood work lol. Thanks for sharing your experience greeneyes and congrats on baby being a boy!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
greeneyes4984

Thank you! were supper excited. they say that at 12 wks the percentage of being accurate on the sex is 75% becuase its too early. but honestly we dont care if next month they would tell me its a girl. we just want a healthy baby.

you're going to love the ultrasound, it will make you feel more at ease when your able to see everything. for me it was a releif seeing him completely formed, spine is good, all 10 fingers and toes, face, heart, brain and devisions, etc.., after the screen your going to be more relaxed.  enjoy that moment. if you can video it. my husband videos everyone of my ultrasounds and shares it with the family.

being pregnant is so beautiful enjoy it and dont stress. have faith that your baby will be fine and healthy. watch your sugar in take and have a  blast being pregnant.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ccwsmom

I had my ultrascreen today. The tech said that I wont get the results back for a week but that everything looked good. He said that the liquid he measured behind the baby's neck should measure between 1-2 mm and that my baby's measured at 1.3 . He said babies with DS usually have numbers above 3. He said the heartbeat was strong and we could see my baby moving like crazy which he said was good  because babies with DS are more lathargic. I was a little sad because he said it was to soon to find out the sex but it was really cool to see the baby moving in there like crazy. I also had a regular doc app right after and was a little worried about my blood pressure. It's been creeping up so we've been watching it, we're trying to hold of on blood pressure meds until we really need them. My cat of 16 yrs passed away last night and I got about two hrs of sleep before my appointments so I was worried my blood pressure would be through the roof due to stress but it was actually lower than it was at my last appointment so that was some good news. I'm glad that the tech said everything looked good but I'll be able to breathe a little easier once I get the results in a week.

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 1,431 members 174,584 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: