Regular Contributor
cassie186

Anyone else going to cloth diaper?

This will be our third kid in cloth diapers. We're totally going to CD this one just like the last two. It actually hasn't been too much extra work for us. In the past disposables have plagued us with blowouts, yeast infections, and diaper rashes that we don't deal with doing our own diaper laundry, so I'm just sticking with it since I'll be doing CD with my second still for a foreseeable yearish since the kiddos are only going to be 16 months apart. IME they really haven't added that much work to my day either since I just dump the bag in the washer, add soap, and walk away for awhile and then come back and rinse them again. Disposables were leaking/ blowing out on us so much I was doing just as much laundry anyways, bwahaha!

We totally got into it to save money. We were without a working washer for a month, because the part had to get ordered over the holidays and I accidentally mailed it to our old house so it had to be forwarded. During those four weeks when we bought diapers I seriously spent like $140 in disposables and wipes because my kids pee and poop so much, and both girls were still in diapers, lol. I just sewed up a bunch of new diapers for this next kid so we have enough to take out our worn out ones (because being washed every other day for 2 1/2 years will do that to you, lol) and I've got enough diapers now to go birth to potty training for this next kiddo for only about $60! And they're so cute and fluffy :smileyhappy:

Seriously, when people say cloth diapers and baby wraps are addictive, they aren't joking. DH has actually restricted me to a $0 diaper budget, lol. It's a good thing he hasn't touched the fabric budget yet so I can just keep sewing more, haha.

Here are the ones I made so I have enough for two kids again. I think this brings me up to like 35 diapers aroundish...

diapers

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
zappa_sun

Re: Anyone else going to cloth diaper?

This is my first pregnancy and I am thinking about cloth diapers.  Since I'm having twins I would like to cut down on the problems associated with the disposables.  Plus I've read that it's much better for their little behinds!  I was just wondering what your procedure is?  Do you have extra cloth that you layer in the diapers?  Do you have to flush the solids and them put them in the hamper to wash?  Or do you just throw the whole thing in and maybe wash twice... or is that why you rinse again?  Do you line dry them or throw in the dryer?  I know I have many more questions, but that's all I can think of now.  Any ideas for the first timer?  Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

A lot of it depends on what your water is like, but even mommas with hard water get it figured out! We have really soft water so it's a matter of finding a good cloth safe detergent (low sudsing, no fabric softeners, dyes, etc since they clog up the fabric pores and make the dipes less absorbent). Then it's a matter of personal preference for the type of diapers you get. All in ones are everything all together, I've never used them though. Mostly I use all in twos and pocket diapers for the diaper bag. An all in two can be used lots of different ways. Softbums would be a good brand for you to look into. They will fit your twins from birth until potty training for most babies. Since they are all in twos, you can reuse covers that aren't pooped in, so you don't need as many diapers and it's less laundry. Then you decide on your absorbent material. I have a mix between flats, micro fiber inserts, and cotton and hemp doublers. I'm planning on getting some Chinese prefolds and getting rid of all my micro fiber because it's bulkier, less absorbent, and seems to be harder to clean well.

For poop when they are just getting formula our breast milk you don't have to do anything with it. It's all water soluble and will wash out. Right now dd2 is now about 2/3rd formula and 1/3 solids and I use flushable liners since it is harder to wash out her poop now. I toss ones that are wet in the trash and flush ones with poopSoon when dd is on more solids her poop will just plop off in the toilet. A lot of prior will use sprayers and wash the poop of into the toilet or a spatula to scrape.

I just had to change our wash routine. We were using tide but the change to Actilift gave dd really bad rashes and made the diapers stink really bad. If they are getting really clean the only time they angel us when they've been pooped on, lol. Even disposables smell more than cloth is supposed to. Since tide changed, now I wash the diapers every two our three days. We have a front load washer which is more difficult to wash in since it uses less water than top load, but so far this is working well for us. I put the diapers in on delicate/ warm with about 3 T baking soda (mega cheap at Costco), then whitest whites with 1 T of rockin green soft rock. Right now I'm doing extra rinses after that cycle, but I'm still dealing with tide in the diapers that's super stubborn and doesn't wash out. Once the tide's all gone I should be able to cut the extra rinse I set it on :smileyhappy: I just put it all in the dryer for now. I have some old crib pieces I plan on mounting to wall to dry just the diaper covers on.

It sounds like a lot of work and there is a learning curve to it, but once we got through the first couple months with dd1 it was pretty smooth sailing. The tide changing this summer was really the first major problem we've had in about two years and was annoying but we've got it figured out now.
Posted from Motorola MOTXT912B
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

Oh with our all in twos there are special inserts that snap in, and then you slide a doubler under it if you need more absorption. The pockets have a hole you stuff the absorbent material into, and I use then that way when we go places because it's just like using a disposable, but you can only use the cover once this way. At home I just lay my absorbent material on top.

On Facebook and even online you can find lots of groups/ forums that have help and advice too :smileyhappy:
Posted from Motorola MOTXT912B
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
zappa_sun

Wow!  Thank you for all that info!  I do have hard water, but we have learned that if we add a little 20 Mule Team Borax to the water when it is filling that it makes the water a little softer and lets the detergent do it's job. This last weekend I went to an event called Little Feet Repeats (like a baby yard sale event) and they had cloth diapers there,so I got a pack of two that I thought looked like I could use.  It sounds exactly like the all in twos that you are talking about.  I will have to get many more plus the inserts.  I am glad you mentioned that there are different materials for the inserts.  That is not something that I thought of looking into!  I will look into facebook and more mommy forums, but I greatly apperciate your infomation!! I think the more people I talk to the more I'm really going to like this!  :smileyhappy:  It helps to talk to people that are actually doing it!  Thank you again!!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
cur_e_usgeorge

We are going to do G diapers using disposable and cloth inserts.  I can see how they can become addictive because they are sooo stinkin' cute!  Can you tell me how many cloth diapers you go through per day at different stages - example, 10/day for newborn, etc.??

~Paige
Mom to a 14 year old boy and pregnant with #2 @ age 41!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

Usually for the NB stage we go through anywhere from 8-12 a day because they pooped so much. So I'd plan on 12 to be on the safe side for NBs. Now that DD2 is a toddler it's more like 6 diapers a day. With the AI2 systems (where you can rotate between covers and reuse them if they aren't pooped in) we usually use 3 covers for the whole day now, during the NB stage we would use 7 or 8 covers a day but my kids poop a lot. Around 2 months my kids started pooping less often and we changed less often and were able to reuse covers more often.

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 197 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: