A Goodbye to Blogging, and Many Thank-Yous

Dear internet,

Well… it’s about that time.

I’ve been blogging for over four years, and for over a year here for Parents.  It’s been an interesting and, at times, a pretty amazing ride.  I’ve written about anything and everything, been on some awesome trips, received my share of hate mail, been published on and linked to from places like Yahoo!, Shine, and Time.com, and corresponded and shared my life with some pretty incredible people.

I have honestly enjoyed sharing my life with all of you.  Opening up about all of my experiences– the good, like giving birth to Caroline, graduating dental school, and finding a job… and the bad, like Caroline’s hospitalization, my postpartum depression, and my divorce– has been exciting, cathartic, therapeutic.  But with my new start here in a new state with a new job and a new home, the time has come for me to move on.

I’ll admit that part of it is that I’m simply burned out on the criticism and hateful email that I seem to get no matter what I write.  It is not easy to share as openly and publicly as I do, and I might just not have the backbone for some of the responses that I get anymore.  Having a job as a “real” dentist also means that I need to be a little more careful and professional about what I put out there on the internet, know what I mean?  I’ve always written whatever I feel about whatever’s on my mind, and if I have to constantly censor myself or worry about what I’m writing, then I’d rather just not write at all… or at least not write so publicly.  I also feel like I don’t have as much to say as I used to, and I really only enjoy blogging when I have something interesting to say.

I guess what it ultimately comes down to is, I just need my life to be a little more private right now.

I appreciate, from the bottom of my heart, all of you who have read and loved my blog, whether you’re a new or longtime reader; whether you’ve read occasionally or never missed a post.  Your kind words and support got me through some tough times, your advice helped me make some tough decisions, and what some of you have shared with me, in return for all I’ve shared, has touched my life as I hope I’ve managed to touch some of yours.  My favorite part has been the emails and comments I get from other single parents who have been inspired by what I’ve written to make changes in their lives, to go back to school, to move on, to find happiness again.  I’ve appreciated every word from you, more than you know.

Thanks for laughing and crying with me, everyone.  You might see me again on the internet someday, in a more anonymous or private space…you just might not know it’s me.

With love,

Julia…and Caroline

Back To Unexpectedly Expecting
  1. by Katie H

On September 9, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Jules…I am so happy for you and Caro with a bright, happy and exciting future ahead of only good things. I will miss your blog though :( Hope you come back to the internetz some day soon :)

Katie :)

2. by Laura

On September 9, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I am sorry that you are done blogging as I have immensely loved reading your stuff. It is very understanble as to why you are stopping, especially given the hate mail. Just know that there are people out there, that no matter what you had written about, would find something wrong with it. I truly feel pity for those like that, because it must honestly be miserable to live with that much hatred and superiority in your heart. Having been a single mom in the past, now remarried for 11 years, I can totally “remember when” and it makes me smile on how strong of a person you were, and how much stronger you are now for what you’ve been thru. I also had 3 NICU babies (all at different times) and can also relate to that. It is with a heavy heart that I say goodbye. Have an awesome next chapter to your life, I’m sure it will be even better than the last chapters you were generous enough to share with us, your avid readers. Onward and upward, (yes, I know it’s from the movie) and good luck in all that you do and become in your future!

3. by Jessica

On September 9, 2012 at 8:35 pm

NOOOOO! I love your blog and have loved reading your stories over the past four years. I really hope you still post hilarious Caro quotes on FB. Thanks for the laughs!

4. by Boston Mom

On September 9, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Oh no! I am so sad! But it is totally understandable. Your ability to share your life has encouraged us and helped all of us see we are normal, and made us laugh until tears rolled down, as well as made me reflect with your great questions! Glad to hear you plan on more writing, you should continue to bless the world with your talent and humor!
    Awful to hear about the negative but I’ve really admired the way you handled it! You are an amazing role model for your daughter! Thank you for sharing the last four years with us.
    Hoping the best for you and Caroline!!!

5. by Allison

On September 10, 2012 at 5:41 am

Goodbye Julia, I’ve enjoyed your writing over the years. I am so happy that you are finding joy and building your life in the way you want and the way that is best for you and Caroline. I’ll miss checking in, but I’ll always smile knowing there’s a brave mama out there showing her daughter how to be smart and strong and make good choices.

6. by Katrina

On September 10, 2012 at 7:44 am

Thanks Julia for all of your blogs! I have enjoyed reading them over the past year and it became habit to check your blog at least once a week. You are truely an amazing, smart, wonderful, and talented woman and give you so much credit for taking on as much as you did being a single mom. Good luck to you and Caroline and I wish you the best!

7. by Jennifer

On September 10, 2012 at 7:59 am

Nooooo! I have been reading for 4 years and loved your stories and points of view. Will miss you but understand why. Wish you well in the future

8. by Harmskills

On September 10, 2012 at 9:29 am

No!!!! I’m not ready to be done :)

Been following you so long like losing a friend good luck and god speed

9. by SingleMama

On September 10, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I have always enjoyed reading your blogs. I don’t personally know other single parents, so it is always great to find them in the blogging world!

Parents, will you be having another single parent blogger? I love that you typically try and reach all the parenting demographics in your blogs.

10. by Me

On September 11, 2012 at 12:01 am

Ah – I was wondering where you were. I’ve only been following you for about 6 months but I truly enjoy reading your posts. You are so funny, down to earth and honest, and such a great writer. I will miss checking in. Totally don’t blame you though. I read somewhere that most blogs only last about a year before their authors burn out. I’ve found that to be true for the ones that I follow. So if you’ve been going for 4 years you’ve already outlasted everyone! Good luck with your new life!
    Signed – Another Single Mom.

11. by Molly

On September 11, 2012 at 10:23 am

Julia-

I am sorry to read this but I totally understand. Maybe I can give you my email and you can write me privately with how you are doing? haha. Good luck with everything. Thanks for inspiring me these past four years. Your courage and humor has kept me going. I know you and Caroline have a bright future ahead.

12. by nicnjed

On September 11, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Hi Julia,

I’ve been following you since your Bump days! My oldest was also born early- within weeks of Caro. I wish you the best as things calm down for both of you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and Caro’s lovely stories all these years.

Best of luck,
    Nicnjed

13. by Rachel

On September 11, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Thanks for sharing your life with us for so long. I wish you and Caroline the best of luck and a fantastic future filled with happy surprises. :)

14. by Katie

On September 12, 2012 at 9:06 am

Oh I’m so sad to see you “going away” from this little public sphere where you have made me laugh and made me feel that I was in excellent company as a slightly insane and overextended mom. :)

So happy to see that things have come together so well for you with your new home and job. Best of luck with all that comes with this transition and the amazement you continue finding raising your crazy, sweet Caroline.

15. by Susan

On September 12, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I will miss reading about your life and all the funny, fabulous things Caroline says. I understand what you mean about the need for privacy with a “real” job, though.

Hope you and Caro enjoy your new life adventures.

16. by jaclyn

On September 12, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Julia,

I wish you and Caroline all the best in the future. You need to do what is best for the two of you, and always know that there are lots of people rooting for you both on the internet! Best of luck to you and your adorable girl!

17. by Lori

On September 13, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I have really loved your blog-it’s the best one I have ever read. You are down-to-earth, funny and have a great sense of humor. You are also a great writer. I appreciate how you have put yourself out there and invited us into your internal struggles, decisions and happiness. I wish you the best with Caroline and your career. I sure do give you credit, in being a single mom. Being a mom is really tough but absolutely amazing. Good luck!

18. by Sherry

On September 14, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Nooooooo! :( But if you must then ok. Really enjoyed all your posts, sad to see you go. Hope you and the little girl in your life are doing well!

19. by Nicola

On October 28, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Julia,

I am sad to say I just found your blog. I wish I had seen it earlier because I would love to be in touch with you. I too am a young single mom and a dentist… I graduated from dental school in 2010, am 32 years old, and have a 12 year old daughter. We are on opposite sides of the country (I live in Los Angeles), but I would love to swap ideas with you if we can find a way to get in touch!

All the very best to you and your daughter,
    Nicola

20. by Dan

On December 4, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Wow! And I just now discovered you, as you were at the top of the Google list for my question about atheistic parents and whether to expose them to a faith. I surely do hope you continue to contribute your rational and loving observations. We need more people like you! “God” bless! (See?)

Most sincerely,

Dan C.

PS: As for hate mail, rest assured, the authors are to be pitied. “Forgive them, for they know not what they do.” (See?) Easier said than done, of course, but another exercise of your evidently fine character.

21. by Lady Stottlemyer

On December 15, 2012 at 12:37 am

We maintain mentioning Nurse Practitioners the two in remarks as well as in this content. How with regard to the Physician Assistant. In most casse, you do not see a doctor when you head over to his office. You ordinarily see a PA, most people do not even realize this actuality. PA’s get very similar formal education for a Physician, they just do it faster. It truly is also a truth that receiving into PA university is harder than acquiring into medical college. This really is primarily for the reason that you will discover significantly much less programs and quite a bit a lot more applicants. Though most websites state that you simply need to have an overall GPA of three.0, consider having into PA college with that GPA. It’ll in no way happen, fact is most have got a three.five or higher. Now, glimpse at medical university applicants, they may be required to have a GPA of two.5 and most have all around a three.0. The only authentic difference is definitely the amount of time that a doctor spends in “training”. This time is spent as a resident which happens to be after they apply medicine although remaining overseen by a group of attending physicians and are constantly being taught the way to be experts inside of a chosen discipline. PA’s function below this same model, only they are really required to try and do it for there full careers. Far more and a lot more however, PAs are starting to attend residency to further their education and there ability to offer top quality medical treatment. It is actually time that we begin wanting for the PA to fill our shortage of physicians to be a entire. It is just not just essential care that is lacking, it can be physicians across the board. I’ve news for you personally as perfectly, if we do not use PAs and NPs to fill the gap then there isn’t any other model that will work. You could restructure all you would like, it still does not address a shortage. You Will need extra people today. Not a diverse system. You cannot eliminate specialists, they can be specialists for a good reason. Any family physician that thinks they are able to fill that role simply because they experienced a class on it in medical college is dangerous and should not be practicing medicine.

22. by Phillip Rudolph

On December 18, 2012 at 11:04 am

good position cord pilot. been from the car organization since 1975 and in no way told a lie only to promote offer a car (told loads for other motives i guess), and in that time i have bought lots of a lot of cars from the public. the tales they tell are beyond astounding but i guess thats okay for them to stretch the reality for monetary gain. bought a 300 G from the fellow who claimed it was ran while in the “flyin mile” on daytona beach (ormand really) in feb 61. turns out the car was built in may well of 61. now which was a fast car i told him, it time travels. his reply “well i had been there, you wern’t”

23. by Mary Widmann

On December 18, 2012 at 11:25 am

My tweet (yeah, self-pimping)

24. by Isaac Aipopo

On December 20, 2012 at 7:39 am

Simply wanna input on few general things, The website style is perfect, the articles is very good :D .

25. by this post

On January 2, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I am really loving the theme/design of your weblog. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems? A number of my blog readers have complained about my website not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any tips to help fix this problem?

26. by http://youtube.com/watch?v=xbL01vfSggg

On January 5, 2013 at 10:03 am

Thanks for sharing superb information. Your web-site is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this site. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles.

27. by Eddie Kosh

On January 18, 2013 at 9:18 am

I’m still learning from you, while I’m making my way to the top as well. I definitely love reading everything that is posted on your blog.Keep the aarticles coming. I liked it!