Momfessions

I’ve been dealing with an awful lot of Mom Guilt lately.

Here’s the deal: I’m coming up on the end of my residency (only two more days!).  In order to finish early, I had to switch a bunch of call, so I’ve been on call approximately one billion times in the last few weeks.  There have been a few days in there where I would be at the hospital until 10pm or later, go do my grocery shopping, come home and pass out for a few hours, and then drag Caroline to daycare at 6:30am to be in the operating room by 7.  This past Sunday, I saw 17 patients and didn’t get home until it was almost Caroline’s bedtime.

I would complain that my own kid doesn’t even know me anymore, but the fact that she’s repeatedly begged me to “stop fixing so many teeth, Mama, please” is evidence enough that she’s well aware of who I am and exactly how much of a workaholic I am, to boot.  Some nights I call to check on her and my mom will tell me “she’s doing great” so that I don’t worry, but in the background I hear “am I going to Mama’s house soon?  Is it time for Mama yet?”

Sigh.

Feels good to get it out, though, even if there’s nothing I can do about it at the moment.  And while we’re at it, I have a few other things I’d like to get off my chest.  That’s right!  It’s time for True Confessions: Mom Edition.  Here’s how this works: I publicly post a bunch of stuff that I’d normally never tell anybody, ever, and then you do the same in the comments.  K?  Good talk.  Don’t let me down, ladies.

Here we go:

I’ve had an open container of cooked egg noodles sitting next to the carseat for four days.

Those AAA batteries you gave my kid with her birthday gifts?  Not a single one of them was used to power her toys, if you catch my drift.

I got fed up with Dora the Explorer, so Caroline thinks she’s been “sleeping” since sometime around February 2011.  I have also been known to tell her that Yo Gabba Gabba is “broken”.

I have brought her to daycare looking like this, because I didn’t have the energy to fight her:

When she asks me what my wine is, I tell her it’s “Mommy tea”.  And yes, the liquor store is the “Mommy tea store”.  And she comes with me when I go there.  Frequently.

Those fruit snacks and Kraft mac and cheese in the shopping cart are for me.

When I get tired of reading her books over and over, I hide them and tell her they’re at Daddy’s house.

I have occasionally bribed her with candy to stay in the jogging stroller so that I can get a workout in.

If people come over on short notice, I throw all her toys in the shower so that my house looks clean.

When she wakes up at 5am on weekend mornings, I have been known to drag her into my bed, hand her a bowl of dry cereal and my iPad, and pass out cold next to her until she shakes me awake again.

So, what about you?  Time to share in the comments!  Don’t leave me hanging, here…

Back To Unexpectedly Expecting
  1. by kacy

On June 11, 2012 at 9:12 pm

My wine is ‘mama juice’ but same ole same ole. :)

I facebook and read blogs in the dark, long after my baby is asleep while leaving my almost 4 yr old with Dad, just to get some quiet alone time.

2. by Lindsey

On June 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I’m studying for the bar exam right now, and I feel so guilty when I come home from work and have to spend the evening studying. Counting down the days until July 24 & 25 when I can feel like a good mom again.

3. by sally

On June 11, 2012 at 9:50 pm

The only way I can het my 3yr old to wear her glasses is telling her if she doesnt she has to wear a bandaid on her eye (she hates band aids.) I have also been known to turn on a movie in my room the mornings after i work late to get some extra zzzz’s. Sometimes I tell her that ‘dad wants to play’ when i cant take another round of pretend kitchen play. She is famous around town for keeping Halloween a year long celebration by wearing costumes as often as possible. With my 3 yr old i pick my battles-as long as she is dressed, I am ahead of the game. Brushing hair takes twice as long in our house because she has to do mine before i can even touch hers, and i still have to bribe her with fruit snacks. ?..i can keep foing…

4. by sally

On June 11, 2012 at 9:51 pm

The only way I can het my 3yr old to wear her glasses is telling her if she doesnt she has to wear a bandaid on her eye (she hates band aids.) I have also been known to turn on a movie in my room the mornings after i work late to get some extra zzzz’s. Sometimes I tell her that ‘dad wants to play’ when i cant take another round of pretend kitchen play. She is famous around town for keeping Halloween a year long celebration by wearing costumes as often as possible. With my 3 yr old i pick my battles-as long as she is dressed, I am ahead of the game. Brushing hair takes twice as long in our house because she has to do mine before i can even touch hers, and i still have to bribe her with fruit snacks. ..i can keep going…

5. by Sara

On June 12, 2012 at 7:42 am

I hid a dvd of the Chipmunk Adventures after telling the kids it was broken because I was sick of them asking to watch it back to back to back every single day for a month. When my 6 year old is fighting bedtime and I have to be up early, I will give in and let her sleep with me just so I can get more than 5 hours rest. I don’t drink often, but I too have used the mommy tea/juice/soda routine on my kids. When I eat ice cream, I will buy Ben and Jerry’s and refuse to share more than a spoonful…terrible I know. And my kids will often go out with costumes on because I just don’t want to fight them on their outfits…and there is SO MUCH MORE!!!

6. by Emily

On June 12, 2012 at 11:49 am

I work second shift as a waitress and my husband works second shift as well so my son sleeps over grandpa’s and grandmas for days a week. The other day he got up early and I fell back asleep. While I was passed out he ate a good amount of KY message oil that was in our nightstand. Most embarrassing poison control call ever. Thankfully he was fine

7. by Kendra

On June 12, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I am a teacher so I’m off for the summer, but I still send my son to daycare for the activities and friends. If he wakes up too early, I put Cars on, give him milk and a bowl of cereal, and doze on the couch. How sad is it that we treasure our sleep so much?! I’m sure there are many more examples of momfessons.

8. by shima

On June 12, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I’m a single mother, in the military and I work ten hours a day, not counting the time I’m on call. Sometimes my kids (3 and 1) work with me and we can get out the house relatively on schedule. There are those days that nothing seems to go right though. My alone time starts around 9pm and I use it to do homework, work on other stuff, or do nothing. On weekends, I let my kids throw around their toys, watch tv, etc. Anything they want (except go downstairs) just so I can get some rest.

9. by Jen

On June 13, 2012 at 9:40 am

if i dont want my son to be messing with something he shouldnt be i tell him “there’s poop on it!”; a glass of wine or a drink is “mom’s coffee”; if i want to sleep in on the weekend i bring him into our bed with a movie and a bowl of nilla wafers… i dont care if its “too early” for cookies, i’m tired. ;)

10. by Lu

On June 14, 2012 at 11:43 am

Using tv as a babysitter when I need to get thigns done.

11. by Jess

On June 14, 2012 at 11:45 am

When I needed some extra ZZZs in the morning (baby always wakes up at 5am, not matter what) I bring her into the bed with me and let her chew on my old Blackberry sans battery. Now that the old Blackberry has been kicked under something, dropped behind something, or possibly thrown away, I give her my new phone to chew on (and am usually too lazy to take the battery out)!

12. by kate

On June 14, 2012 at 11:50 am

Thank you ladies, I needed this today. Sometimes I pretend I didn’t smell the poop in his diaper so I don’t have to be the one to wrestle him onto the changing table :(

My partner stays at home with him and sometimes I want to scream – WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO ALL DAY when there’s no clean laundry and dishes piled to the ceiling. As if taking care of a 21 month old boy isn’t enough “to do”…so ashamed…

13. by Danielle

On June 14, 2012 at 11:55 am

Im a work full time, school full time, 2 little kiddos, and a husband kinda mom. and my kiddos have been at grandmas all week due to schedule issues and school.. :( *worst mother of the year award!* right here!
    I also can relate to everyone of your confessions! Glad Im not alone :)

14. by manda

On June 14, 2012 at 12:16 pm

um I went to school and worked and never neglected my children.. if you can’t get your child dressed properly for school or day care, then you have real problems. Its fine to send your kids to daycare they get to have play mates, but when mommy can’t even get them properly dressed. Good God you have your priority’s all messed up…

15. by michelle

On June 14, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I let my 2 and a half yr old sleep in my bed cause mommy doesn’t want to get up several times a Nite and put him in his bed. I let him watch TV n the morning so I can read for a bit. I let him eat a burrito everyday for a wk because its easier than fighting him. . . I’m sure theirs more. : /

16. by Bonnie

On June 14, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I will bring my 16 month old son into the living room close the baby gate and snooze on thr couch while he plays in the morning. When he wont stop turning on annoying toys i just turn them off and if they dont have an off switch i hide them. Put on despicable me so i can do laundry and dishes. Feed him half my breakfast as he walks around because i dont want to fight him in his hi chair. He gets a sucker from the bank every other week!!!! Makes me paranoid but he loves it. W

17. by Jenny

On June 14, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I have fallen asleep on the couch while my 5 year old plays Wii. For an hour.

Wine is “grown up juice”. And my son knows what the inside of a liquor store looks like too.

Once, he wore the same pajamas for 48 hours straight. And I didn’t feel bad at all.

I yell at him sometimes. For no real reason. Just cuz I’m tired and can’t handle his 80-mile-a-minute questions. I apologize, and he smiles and forgives me, but that’s the worst. I hate myself for that.

18. by Jenny

On June 14, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Thanks for making us all feel bad, “Manda”. You’re such a great person. Feel better about yourself now? I’m glad.

19. by Erica

On June 14, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I bring my 13 month old into bed with me when she wakes up at 1am 1) because I HAVE to get back to sleep and 2)because I like having her there

20. by Janice

On June 14, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Michelle, don’t judge. These women are trying and frustrated! It happens. None of these women are doing anything wrong. It’s hard to mange it all sometimes. All the other ladies, keep up the good work! Costume and crazy outfits are fun (at least they are dressed). As to being tired all the time- you are working hard to provide a better life.

My confession is that I work overnights and my husband works at 8a. The rest of the time I stay at home with our 2.5 year old. I use the tv to babysit in the mornings after I work. Just until I have napped long enough to keep my eyes open when we go outside.

21. by Valerie

On June 14, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I feel guilty that sometimes I enjoy the quiet time when my girls are visiting their dad (who I detest). Then I only have my one year old with me who I can play with and give my full attention to (not that I have any other choice). I hate that I’m never able to do that for my older girls (5 & 7), that I can never give them exclusive one-on-one attention because my youngest screams her head off if she is not in the spotlight or destroys something if we are trying to get some craft time in. I really feel like I dont ever get to enjoy the time when they are home with me because I’m busy working, cleaning (dirty houses give me anxiety), and feeling stressed about something. I do make an extra effort to do things with them, take them to the park, swimming, ice skating, fo-yo tasting, whatever they want usually…because I feel guilty they are gone most of the summer…but with baby along it does mean they are constantly sacrificing time or cutting an activity short if baby decides today is her crazy day. I do feel like a bad mom sometimes, like I’m not loving them the same because I feel so much more stress when I have all three sometimes I yell! GUILT! Is it bad that I want to pick up drinking?

22. by Becca

On June 14, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I’m A full time nursing Student and I live with my parents and my 5yr old boy and my 3 yr old girl.

The only way I can get my 3yr old to stay in her car seat is to Slam on the brakes and show her that it is dangerous not to wear a seat belt by throwing her into the front seat ^_^ I came to this conclusion after 3 months of bribing her with candy… Spanking her… Asking a cop friend of mine to talk to her about safety but with no avail… But whatever works right lol

I tell my 5 yr old everyday that he is not allowed to play with his pet bird unless he cleans up his mess (yes in anger I have threatened the birds life just to get things done!)

I don’t need to tell my children that my alcohol is moms special drink. I tell them NO It’s got Alcohol in it and they may not have it till they are grown ups cause it will make them sick.

I try my best not to lie to my children about anything but sometimes making false threats are necessary when dealing with little ones.

You just got to enjoy life and try to spend as much as you can with your kids, try to live your life right and that will reflect on them and when it comes to us single super moms WE HAVE TO CUT CORNERS SOMETIMES! Thanks Ladies!

23. by Stacy

On June 14, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I put my 16mo. old in the living room , block off the kitchen & completely pass out on the couch for the mornings when she didn’t sleep through the night. I let the television babysit her when I go to take a shower. I bribe her with cookies to get her to do what I want & I don’t take her out of the house some days to get some exercise or even some fresh air.

24. by Krista

On June 14, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Let’s see…
    Often when we’re playing in the pool outside I just strip them down naked and let ‘em go, bathing suits and swim diapers are such a pain! We often do meals on the fly- pb&j’s while they play outside, cheese sticks and fruit with crackers for lunch while we hang out at the park or drive around doing errands…I take advantage of the food-induced good attitudes to get stuff done!
    I live in an area where the neighbors are practically within arms’ reach. At night we all often hang out so the baby monitors have made quite the trip up and down the street…houses all locked up tight of course.
    Both my kids (20mo twins) use binkies way more than I thought and right now I basically let my son be a picky eater and promise myself I’ll deal with it when he’s old enough to understand the phrase “eat it or starve.” ;) I just pray vitamins and milk fill in the gaps right now!!
    Manda, if letting my kid wear an outfit that I don’t particularly like (costume or otherwise) makes me a bad parent then I’m positively failing on most other fronts. Didn’t you watch Punky Brewster as a kid?!

25. by missy

On June 14, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Whether a child looks dashing is not in the realm of parental responsibility. Nobody is perfect but we all do the best we can even if we have to occasionally concede to capes or television because we are too worn out to argue. There’s not going to be kids turning into hustlers and junkies because they saw us buy a bottle of wine or wore their favorite pajamas for two days in a row. Nobody’s saying “I left my baby in the Meth lab” or anything close to it. We’re human, and were it not for the little mistakes we make and the instances we cave we’d be raising kids that didn’t realize its OK to not be perfect and the imperfections are what make us beautiful and unique. Nobody should feel guilty for taking a nap what’s worse letting a little one watch movies for a couple hours or crashing your car because you fell asleep at the wheel? When I used to work midnights and I’d come home I’d put on a movie and give my 3 yr old a big bag of cars and I’d be out like a light. Typically when I woke up I would find that I myself had been used as the terrain and the parking garage. Nothing like waking up to some hotwheels on your face!

26. by Tammy

On June 14, 2012 at 1:38 pm

In response to manda….you need to get your priorities straight and not attack these awesome but tired mommas. Who are you to judge them? I’m sure you have things you’ve done…if you’re even a mother! If you are a mom and have survived the toddler/preschool age without EVER having one single mishap, then good for you…get over yourself! How dare you attack these good women who have nothing to be ashamed of!
    In response to:
    by manda

On June 14, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Now that I’ve said my piece on that ‘comment’ I’ve got my own little confessions. Like most of you I am a full time mother and wife…I am also a full time online college student (pharmacy) and it’s tough. I’ve got straight A’s, an incurable medical condition, and 2 amazing little girls. I get migraines all the time and I’m fatigued beyond belief from my condition. However, I try to not let it get me down. When I am too tired to function I put on the cartoons, make sure the gate to the kitchen is locked, front door is deadbolted and the bathroom is locked. I give the girls a snack and make sure their cups are full and diapers are clean then nap for a bit. I zone in and out over an hour or two and find toys all over me and the couch or one or both of them have snuggled up and passed out with me. It’s tough being a mom, especially when daddy works all day for more than 12 hours some days. We all have done things that we may not be super proud of, but we’re human and we can only handle so much. Keep up the great work ladies…our kids love us and that’s all that matters! <3

27. by Caryn

On June 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I feel your pain. I just graduated from nursing school with a 5 and 3 year old. Granted I did have my husband to help out, but my kids watched WAY too much tv to keep them occupied while I would get my school work done. There were nights when I was too tired to brush their teeth so I didn’t. I have felt so much mommy guilt over the past 2 1/2 years. I am addicted to fruit snacks, and I sometimes buy candy for myself and hide it from my kids so they don’t ask for any!

28. by Nicole

On June 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I have a 5 month old who is so much like his father, I find myself asking ‘what did I do to deserve this’. I let him watch Baby Einstein & Diego, whenever he’s cranky and he sleeps with me, even though his nursery is attached to my room. I work from home and I get help with him during the day so I can get things done, and sometimes I will say I am slammed at work, when really I am just surfing the internet, because I just need a ‘break’. I once texted my mom that I hated being a mom because my son cried on and off for 7 hours, and I felt like I was losing my mind. I have often set my son down under his activity mat or strapped him in his swing, so I could walk away and scream/cry. I love my son and I really don’t hate being a mom, I think it’s just really tough being a new mom sometimes. The clothes thing makes me so nervous, because I am very particular on what he wears, and as an only child who basically ate out everynight and snacked on whatever I wanted, I fear this will be a big issue for me in the months to come as well.

29. by Kristen

On June 14, 2012 at 1:47 pm

We never sit at the kitchen table to eat dinner. Last week, my kid finished his bowl of peas and carrots sitting in the bottom of the cabinet while I washed dishes.

We’re trying to cut back, but my TV is my babysitter for showers, dinner prep, laundry, washing dishes, vacuuming…

There are sippy cups hanging around in my car. They may or may not have been there for several weeks.

I have slept in my son’s toddler bed. Many times.

I have no idea what’s for dinner tonight.

I have snuck out of daycare while he was distracted just so he wouldn’t run up and grab my leg for the billionth time.

30. by Krista

On June 14, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Oh, boy. Where do I begin? Letting PBS babysit my 3 year old in the early morning so I can catch a little bit more sleep. Letting her eat a peanut butter sandwich every. single. day. for lunch because its easier than dealing with her tantrum. locking my 9 month old in the living room with the baby gate so I can get something accomplished. Giving in to her demands for a juice box when I dont have the energy to fight, secretly wishing that they fall asleep on the way home so I can just put them into bed without the whole routine. Picking up an extra shift or two during the week if I need to get out of the house…and lets not forget about the bribery i use with candy, fruit snacks, icecream so I can get through Target in peace. Shady, I know, But you know what? Im not the lady with screaming kids. My daughter knows that in order to recieve that special treat she best be on her best behavour. Im doing the best that I can as a mother and a wife who’s husband works a full time job plus farms on the side. I work two jobs myself and yes, there are times that I probably wouldnt win the Mother of the year award, but my kids are happy, healthy, and dressed well, despite what my 3 year old fights me to wear. I love my kids beyond comprehension, I would do anything for them, but do they drive me up the friggin’ wall? HELL YES. And any one on here who has the balls to judge (ahem, *Manda*) then you need to open your eyes are realize that mothers are not all perfect. What matters is that our kids turn out to be decent human beings, regardless of methods used sometims. And also *Manda, SHAME on you for trying to make us ladies feel bad, you must be the most perfect mother in the entire world to not have to use any of these tactics, and to that I say “BRAVO”, now open your eyes and get with the real world…Dont worry, we’ll have a glass of wine for you when you decide to come to the dark side.

31. by Erica

On June 14, 2012 at 2:16 pm

First of all, these all made me laugh so much (except Manda’s, natch) so thank you for the chuckles. :) My Momfessions: I will sometimes pretend I don’t understand what my almost-three-year-old is saying, just so I don’t have to argue about “no chocolate before 3″ or something like that. If my 3-month-old son falls asleep in his swing, I keep him there, despite manufacturer warnings to the contrary. I have been known to give my little girl a yummy snack just so she keeps quiet a little bit longer (she’s very rambunctious.) I have snapped at my daughter before I thought to take a deep breath. Sometimes, between the two kids, I’ll get an hour or less of sleep. Those mornings, as soon as my son takes a nap, I put on a movie for my daughter and doze on the couch. If my husband’s home, (he works 70+ hours/week) I’ll lay down on our bed to nurse our son and take a short nap, myself. Sometimes I feel incredibly guilty, especially about the snapping and napping, but I apologize to our daughter and give her extra cuddles. I don’t feel too badly, though; I remember my mom making mistakes, but I think she did a great job. We’re humans, not super-humans. :)

32. by Mellie

On June 14, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Whew, glad I am not the only one! I stay home with my 2 children. My youngest son still naps (thank goodness) but I always feel guilty during that time if I do not spend enough quality time with my daughter. I definitely let her watch too much TV during this time!!

33. by Tammy

On June 14, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Love the comments ladies!

I had my little girl during the first semester of graduate school (she’s 7 months). While I had lots of support from my husband and grandmother who moved in to take care of her while I’m in class, it’s still been tough. Well here are some of my guilts:

1) Although I breastfed, she learned to use the bottle when she was 2 weeks old so that I could finish the semester. Lucky for us, we havent had a food problem yet…

2) If she woke me up before the alarm, I’ve placed her in my bed, surrounded her with pillows and went back to sleep…more than once.

3) Instead of reading bedtime stories to her, I’ve read from my econ book, my statistics textbook, and practiced presentations until she fell asleep or started to fuss due to boredom…

4) She watches a lot of TV. Baby Einstein, yes, but I can’t control the fact that she watches a lot of Oprah and Dr. Oz with my grandmother.

5) She’s been to restaurants, a bar (only once!), and the movie theatre from as young as 2 months so that I culd have some sort of life.

6) I’ve used school work as an excuse to get some alone time rather than rushing home for caretaker duties.

34. by Tammy

On June 14, 2012 at 5:04 pm

And Manda…just for the fact that you choose to judge other people just shows that you are an unhappy person.

I’m sure that EVERYTHING is perfect in your life…(right)

35. by jaclyn

On June 14, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I think kids in costumes are cute. I’ve happily let my nieces wear disney princess costumes everywhere, and strangers smiled at them and told them they were cute. I have an 18 month old son, and if he wants to dress up in costumes when he is bigger, I’d have no problem with that.

36. by Mandy

On June 14, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Hahaha! These had me cracking up. It’s nice to know, besides Miss Perfect Manda, we all do crazy things to keep our sanity. I can say I have done almost every single thing that has been mentioned. I am a stay at home mom, a wife, and a full time nursing student. Sometimes you just have to give control to the little tyrants and go with it. It’s a blast for them, and easy for me…we all win. My one confession that I will likely keep repeating at least through the end of the summer is throwing the kids in the hot tub instead of giving them a bath. So what…chlorine and jets have got to get them way cleaner than Lightening mcQueen bubble bath and a raggedy wash cloth. They love it and I enoy sipping my mommy juice and watching them play. Cheers.

37. by Beth

On June 15, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I have a 2.5year old and a 2 week old. My hubby works evenings so when he went back to work my oldest ate nothing but lunch meat cheese on crackers and breakfast bars for dinner. It’s gotten better, but we still snack on breakfast bars.
    And we bathe our kids every three days unless they are really dirty.
    We really are parents of the year.:-)

38. by Jackie

On June 15, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I Have a toddler and infant and it’s a well known fact that I only cook once a day, and that if dad isn’t going to be home for dinner, we’re having sandwhiches.

I let my daughter watch only the shows I enjoy watching too(my little pony)

My daughter still showers with me because I don’t want to sit and watch her in a bath tub for god knows how long. and still sleeps in my bed because I don’t want to fight her about sleeping in hers.

39. by Jen

On June 16, 2012 at 11:15 am

I don’t know how anyone does it! My sweet bebe its 8 months old and I interview for my first REAL post baby job (I nanny for my parents so l.o.comes with) & I’mpetrified to leave my sweet pea! I definitely already feel guilty enough for daddy tucking her in on nights I have school.

40. by Sarah

On June 17, 2012 at 7:24 am

Im a mom of one, legally separated studying for a major career exam that I could very well fail, looking for employment after being a samh for a few years and am attempting to turn my life into a postive space for my 3.5 yr old son. Sometimes I put him in the jogging stroller, so I can go on a run after his nap when he should clearly be at the park running around. I feel guilty but then think of the alternative.

41. by ann

On July 16, 2012 at 5:14 pm

lol @ Manda.

42. by Ann

On July 16, 2012 at 5:19 pm

lol @ Manda.
    anyway…I’ve been known to run & shut off the video, plop down on the floor & “engage” my 2 yr old when I hear daddy come home from work :O). oh, & he still takes a bottle to bed.

43. by lisa

On July 16, 2012 at 11:43 pm

-sometimes when im just trying to sit down on the couch for a second and my son gets into something hes not supposed to, i tell him to bring it to me and throw it behind the sofa..ive got a whole stash of batteries, pens, cds, etc back there, just so i dont have to get up sometimes

- i definatly pretend not to smell the poop either, but if it takes my husband more than 10,15 mins to smell ill feel bad and do it

-my husband usually has his friends over on the weekends for bbqs and of course there is beer there…he is fascinated with the cans, im more scared of him cutting his finger on the can, so i will let him play with a closed can just to keep him happy

-my son is usually naked in his pool or in a diaper during these summer months

-at a year i was really really trying to get him off the bottle but being pregnant now, im just kinda letting it go..he still gets one a day at 19 months

-when we go to the grocery store i end up having to open up the fruit snacks and let him eat them while im shopping, i swear those are like drugs to him, im sorry i ever introduced him to them

-i revolve his naptime around dr phil

44. by Jenn

On July 18, 2012 at 1:32 pm

wow Manda, feel proud of yourself that you’re (apparently) mom of the year? HA! funniest thing I’ve heard in a while. last time i checked, moms were just people trying to take care of little ones; not super heroes.

Anyway, I’m 23, a mom of a 4 year old and his father works full time and when he’s home he doesn’t pay attention to either of us.

I go to college and it’s difficult enough to be a college student, but a mom/college student? sometimes it feels impossible.
    my momfessions: I’ve brought my child to class with me because i feel bad for leaving him with my mom or his grandpa, I’ve yelled at my child to brush his teeth, fight with him to get out of the bath, hell sometimes i throw him in the bath in the middle of the day to kill some time. I’ve definitely given my child candy to be quiet in the grocery store, told him the toys in walmart belong to someone else or are not for sale or some crazy lie.

of course we feel bad for this behavior but how can we? we’re only one person and trying to wear a hundred masks in one day. this isn’t possible for anyone.

45. by Leilah

On July 20, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I have back problems from when I was younger, my hubby tries to do anything to help, I didn’t change a diaper for months because I said it hurts my back. When I KNOW my 2 toddlers are going to give my a fight over dinner I take it in the living room and pretend its mine, that makes them crawl all over me trying to get a bite of “Mommy’s dinner”. My hubby’s confession: He’ll feed them first thing in the morning and then fall sleep on the living room floor and doze while they use him as a jungle gym. We have both told the kids that TV characters are sleeping.

46. by Amber

On July 27, 2012 at 8:04 pm

1.let all 3 of my girls (5,4 & 17mo) sleep in my bed while my husband sleeps on the couch cause its much easier!!
    2.have dozed off in the morning & the kids have destroyed my house so i blame my husband for not being awake w/them.
    3.taken baby to the store in just a diaper
    4.take way too much advantage of nick jr
    5.have snuck home from work early while the kids were w/mawmaw so i could nap
    and much much more!! anyone who says they are a perfect parent, to put it mildly is full of crap!!

47. by Jamia

On July 27, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I let our son sleep with us every night and in the morning I turn on netflix and give him animal crackers so I can sleep just a little longer. In defense I recently had to go on a night shift. I let him eat puffs off the floor once because he was sad he spilled them all. He also ate cat vomit because we did not clean it up right when it happened. He likes to act like a puppy so when I want him to follow me I will whistle and say here boy. It works and he thinks it is funny. There is so much more……but I am a good mom and he loves me and I love him more than he will ever realize.

48. by Brittany L

On July 28, 2012 at 11:46 am

When the baby wakes up in the morning I bring him into my bed and feed him while he and I pass back out for another couple hours. I get extremely frustrated with my four year old step-son and walk away when he’s being naughty. He loves Thomas the train, but I got sick of watching the same movies over and over so we started him on Blues Clues against his will. Now I’ve seen that way too many times and I’m trying looney toons Even though he cries every time he wants to watch Blues Clues and we put on something else. My boyfriend and I use nick names for his sons mother and her boyfriend so that he won’t know who we’re talking about while we complain about how much of a terrible mom she is. I have also ignored the smell or sound of the baby’s dirty diaper until his dad is around to help me clean him. When the four year old wakes up too early we either put on Blues Clues and go back to bed or send him upstairs and let his grandparents feed him/watch him play with his trains until we are ready to get up.

49. by Chellie

On August 16, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Oh man reading these and my oldest is only 18 months and the baby is a month old… Pretty much year round I leave my kids in diapers only unless we are going out. Definitely do the pretend to not smell the poop… With my oldest he lived in his bouncy seat for the first 5 months because he was happy there. Now with the two boys, we snack all day and don’t eat a true meal until dinner when daddy comes home. I know more things will happen when they get older and I start working and going to school. But you know what we gotta do what we gotta do to get some sleep or some “me-time” or even to get the kids to co-operate!

50. by Rose

On August 26, 2012 at 1:22 pm

These are awesome!
    I let my 20 month old run around while eating dinner because he too active to sit still for more than 5 minutes…
    He doesnt like prepared meals so mostly eats cottage cheese, fruit and veggies for meals (luckily fruits and veggies are his favourite!)…
    We will spend full days in pj’s after a long string of 12 hour shifts for mommy because I am too tired to get us both dressed and out of the house…
    When I work nights I too use the TV as a sitter for a couple hours and wake up to a destroyed house, but he enjoys the “cleanup” song so we clean together…
    Daddy does a lot of the getting ready for day care, dinners, and household chores because I work 12 hour shifts and am on call 24/7….If I didnt have him, I dont know what i’d do!!!
    Admitting these feelings of guilt feels great!! Thanks to all!

51. by Virginia

On September 12, 2012 at 8:06 am

*Manda – shame on you for trying to make others feel bad. We are all doing the best we can! Who do you think you are?

I’m a SAHM but I pay a babysitter sometimes to come in the middle of the day just so I can get a bit of ‘me time’. I pay her extra to do the dishes so I purposefully don’t do the dishes when I know she’s coming.
    I let my 19 month old eat Cheerios for dinner.
    I let my 5 month old sleep in his swinging chair until 2AM every now and then because I don’t want to wake him to move him to his crib.
    My 5 month old still sleeps with us after the first feeding because I’m too tired to put him back in his crib.
    I’ve let my 19 month old watch baby sign language DVD’s while I napped on the couch before. She also wears her PJ’s until after her first nap of the day.
    My kids are healthy and happy and well adjusted, despite me having post-partum depression and my husband being deployed. As mothers, we do the best we can and our kids love us and we love them; that’s the main thing!

52. by Donna

On September 17, 2012 at 11:20 am

I had 5 children very close together and they hardly ever wore clothes in the warm months. They ate most of their meals in the yard and they bathed together for 7 years. They had dessert for dinner many times and watched MTV all the time. That was back when it was actual music videos and not the trash they show now. We went to other people’s homes at night so I could hang out with adults since my husband worked out of town 90% of the time. They slept wherever they fell asleep and stayed up a lot later than other kids their ages. But guess what: they all graduated college and got married and have crazy, happy, healthy kids of their own.