Hey, Mindy McCready? Give the Kid Back.

Anybody been following this Mindy McCready story?

Anybody not think she’s lost it?

Basically, she does not have custody of her five-year-old son, but she’s taken him out of state and is refusing to return him to her parents, who do have custody of the child.  She claims that her mother is abusing him and says that she’ll go to jail if she has to, but she won’t bring the boy back.

Mindy, honey?  Ya can’t do that.

Quite frankly, I’m not sure why she hasn’t already been arrested.  I’m fairly certain that if a man had pulled a stunt like this, there would be all sorts of Amber Alerts and search parties and he’d be in all kinds of jail.  As she should be.  That court order is there for a reason.  It is very difficult for a mother to completely lose custody of her child, so the courts must have deemed her unfit.

Even if she had some kind of joint custody, it still wouldn’t be okay.  Tyler and I have joint custody of Caroline, and if he took her out of the state and refused to bring her back?  I would freak the freak out.  Actually, I can’t even think about it without my hands starting to shake.

Who knows what is really going on with the child’s grandmother.  Maybe he is in an unsafe situation with his grandparents and needs to be removed.  But kidnapping him (and it literally is kidnapping, in a situation like this) is not the way to go about it.  That’s not how you keep your kid safe.  You file a report with child services and they can remove the child from the home within 24 hours if the allegations turn out to be substantiated.  You don’t go pick up the kid and leave the state when you don’t have custody and then go on the news announcing that you won’t bring him back.  (Or that you “probably” won’t bring him back.  Yeah, um, you “probably” don’t have a choice.)  All that’ll get you is a one-way ticket to jail and your child a one-way ticket back to the home that you wanted him removed from.  And if your child needs to be protected, how exactly do you plan on protecting him from jail?  Not.  Smart.

I’m not even going to touch the fact that she’s pregnant.  Okay, just kidding, I totally am.  The court won’t give you custody of the child you already have, and you’re having two more?  And doesn’t she think that maybe this little detour to crazytown could possibly affect her custody of those children once they are born?  The kidnapping of her son just reeks of selfishness and impulsiveness to me, personally, without much consideration for the consequences her actions might have for any of her children, born or unborn.

Go ahead and sound off in the comments… I can’t be the only one who thinks this is nuts.

Back To Unexpectedly Expecting
  1. by Jennifer

On December 2, 2011 at 12:58 pm

last i heard, she did not have custody of her son taken from her. i could be wrong, but i thought she have given her mother voluntary guardianship while she was in rehab for addiction. also, if they haven’t arrested her yet, that could be because her mother isn’t pressing the issue. that definitely raises red flags. if mindy’s mother wasn’t abusive and thought that her grandson was in serious danger, she would be screaming from the rooftops. the whole thing makes me question what the real story is.

2. by Amanda

On December 2, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I personally went through something similar in that the mother of my stepson (who has no custody) took him out of state lines without permission and we had to go through the news and police to find him and have him returned. We were definitely screaming from rooftops but also received a lot of static because he was with his biological mother and people just assumed that meant he was safe and where he should be. It’s sad for any child in a situation like this and I hope that officials take matters into their own hands and investigate the situation to place the child where he TRULY will be loved and protected no matter what!

3. by Michelle

On December 2, 2011 at 4:31 pm

You are not the only one who thinks she is crazy. She should take the child back and if she was not a celebrity (albiet a not very known one) she would of already been arrested. The mother is obviously pushing the issue but doing it through the proper channels not going on the media making crazy statements. The best interest of the child is not to be taken by force. Mindy should of gone through the proper channels. I’m saying this and I used to like Mindy and had hoped she was finally getting her life back together. I love her latest song, I’m Still Here but obviously, Mindy didn’t mean the words of the song.

4. by Malia

On December 2, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I agree with Jennifer’s comment. And of course, in reference to the writer’s statements about filing a report with child services, that is assuming that child services will do their job correctly and responsibly. In my field, I have seen the system work in the opposite of what should have happened, and then innocent people are blamed for others’ mistakes.

5. by vee

On December 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm

i agree with jennifer on this. If custody wasnt taken from her she still has legal custody of him. Just because she needed to get her life together doesnt mean she is a bad mom and if she had to just run with him i think it says alot about the circumstances surrounding the situation.

6. by Devon

On December 2, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I heard that she is about 7 months pregnant with twins. Could have something to do with the lack of arrest… But, yeah, she’s cracked.

7. by lauren

On December 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Well, I have an interesting take on this all. I grew up in Nashville. I went to high school with Mindy’s brothers. We hung out together and were friends. The thing is… her brothers lived with her because her parents also their parents, the same parents who now have custody of her son, were cruel & crazy people. Because I know this from first hand experience, I worry that Mindy is telling the truth about the abuse. But also worry for Mindy, because she is quite crazy herself. She has had a drug problem for as long as I can remember. She was far from a stable person when I was hanging out at her house, but her instability was still more stable for her brother’s than their parents.

So, I’m at a lost and just feel immensely sorry for the little boy.

8. by Cass

On December 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I didn’t like this article, you have no actual facts and are just ranting on and on about your own speculations about someone you don’t even know. Nothing I am interested in reading and not helpful whatsoever, not what I expect from Parents mag.

9. by Tania Fain

On December 2, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Jennifer, Just because the grandmother isn’t SCREAMING from the roof top does not mean she isn’t doing all she can to get her grandson returned. One Mindy is still her daughter and someone she loves very much so I’m sure she still does not want to have her in any harm. Two having the child’s mother arrested in front of him could potentially harm him more than the poor child probably already has been! So let’s take a little perspective here…. This is a family issue that is probably trying to be handled as amicably as possible with as little police interference as possible for the child’s sake. I know from following Mindy for years she has major addiction issues and although I hope she has them under control, this stunt makes me wonder. This is not the way to regain custody of your child. It’s only hurting her.

10. by Amy

On December 2, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Yeah… She has lost it. And to you who think this article isn’t based on facts then there are facts filled articles about this all over the web and Mindy Mcready did LOSE custody of her son, her parents DO have custody and her visitation was limited to visiting with him IN her father’s house. Because she does NOT have custody her taking him out of state absolutely does mean she kidnapped him, and her refusing to bring him back is not going to help her or Zander. If he is being abused then she absolutely has to go through the correct channels even though the system is flawed she has to because taking it into her own hands is only going to cast her in a bad light… Sad sad sad

11. by Kristina

On December 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm

This topic is very touchy for me – first off because my husband has gone through the exact thing with his ex-wife who kidnapped their daughter and shipped her off to another country for almost TWO years. Plus, she didn’t even stay with her daughter for part of the time.

Secondly, because I have a son with my husband and another baby on the way. I can’t even imagine what would make a parent put their child through this. Obviously someone very selfish and vindictive who doesn’t have the child’s best interests at heart. Grow up Mindy!

12. by NoAdditives

On December 2, 2011 at 5:25 pm

There are times the child protective services do nothing. Did anyone see that episode of Anderson where women lost custody of their kids? One woman’s ex-husband had gotten back together with his first wife, a woman who had killed their two daughters. She shot them while they slept, she was put in a mental facility, and then she was let out. She got back together with her ex-husband who has joint custody of his two boys. The mother of those boys fears for their lives but can’t get the courts of anyone to do anything about the legitimate threat of this other woman. And because she’s a regular person she can’t just take her boys and violate the custody agreement or she definitely will go to jail.

So, the system doesn’t always work.

13. by Tracy

On December 2, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I completely agree with all that was said. The only thing I can add is that even if it were a man he wouldn’t face any repercussions either…if he were FAMOUS. It’s sad, but so annoyingly true that if you have any noteriety or fame you can get away with ANYTHING. It’s sick.

14. by Ericka

On December 2, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Do you think a judge would believe that the hormones made her do it? Poor little boy.

15. by BrandiE

On December 2, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Yep, she’s lost control, & it’s not like she will be able to hide him out, people already knew her. She’s not thinking of her children. She can’t kidnap her son, & may loose her twins, but she can’t grasp any of that. It is hard for a parent to loose custody, they give them many chances. It’s not ok if they are abused, but ya can’t just take them.
    I wonder about that poor kid…who knows how much he’s seen in the past. Then to take him from his home, & caregivers has gotta be hard for him. It’s traumatic for kids to be taken suddenly, & not fun to be in hiding. Then she’s on the news, putting him in the spotlight, for what?
    She really isn’t helping him in anyway, by what she’s doing. It seems for herself more than him, & that’s just not what a Mommy should do, or even trying to following the law!

16. by Sara

On December 2, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Maybe he really is being abused. Has anybody ever considered that? Maybe she is telling the truth here. So what if she lost custody of her son for something that happened in the past! If I lost my son for something I did in the past and found out that my child was being abused I would definately do the same thing! Am I crazy?!? No! My child’s safety has and will come before anything else in this world! If she is lying about all of this then that is crazy but I am not going to pass judgement on somebody when I don’t know all of the facts or whether the child is being abused or not. And I have absolutely no faith in Child Protective Services whatsoever!

17. by Brittnay

On December 2, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Ok so why does she think that having her babies in jail is the right course to take??? Talk about crazy town she is a honorary resident. Some people people
    Need to get fixed. Bunch of crazies!

18. by Ligia

On December 2, 2011 at 7:09 pm

The kid should go back to where he belongs and further evaluation is needed to see if the most appropriated situation forhim to live in. About Mindy McCready she probably just wants some publicity out of it and maybe a tv show with her kids as a new drama on TLC.

19. by Crystal

On December 2, 2011 at 7:40 pm

FIRST of all, do you know Mindy McCready? I don’t. I don’t know what kind of a mother she is, so YOU cannot say she is unfit! Have you never seen corruption of a court? Are you seriously naive enough to think that a judge would not make a wrong decision.
    I DO, however, know for a fact that the Lee County FL court system is CORRUPT! I do personally know a person who has had their child taken away from her by the same judge that Ms. McCready is dealing with in that court for the simple fact that keeping the child in the state of FL gives kickbacks to the judges! (it is actually being investigated as we speak!) So for you to spout off that Mindy is an unfit mother because she needed help from her mother while she is in rehab is absurd! Like I said you probably don’t know the WHOLE situation as I do not either. But then again I am not blabbing my mouth about someone elses gossip! How would you feel if your child was being held hostage in a state because the judges get financial kickbacks?

I Say; I SUPPORT YOU MINDY MCCREADY for doing what you feel is best for your child and for bringing the corrupt FL courts into the lime light!

20. by Crystal

On December 2, 2011 at 7:46 pm

oh Yes and I forgot to mention that you must be naive to think that DCF will do their job properly? My same friend has also called DCF and they said “well, we’ll stop by in a couple of days and check on it” not to mention that when they did show up they asked the child IN FRONT OF the child’s abuser if they (the child) was being abused? As if a child would admit it in front of their abuser!
    I only wish that I could still be as naive as you!

21. by Adrienne

On December 2, 2011 at 8:31 pm

The article you referenced doesn’t really give enough information to start making judgmental rants like this, and you don’t really add anything thoughtful or constructive to the story. I expect better from Parents.

22. by Julia

On December 2, 2011 at 8:41 pm

It’s not me being judgmental. Well, maybe a little. But basically it’s just the law, and she’s violating it.

If she gets away with it, what’s to stop any noncustodial parent who’s been deemed unfit from taking off with a child and not returning them? It’s a scary prospect. I am sure other single parents such as myself will agree that the law should be enforced for everyone, no matter how famous they are, what gender they are, and what allegations they make. Children are placed where they are placed for a reason– I believe in the courts’ ability to take their best interests into account.

23. by Adrienne

On December 2, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Sorry, I think my previous comment was a little too harsh. I just thought the post was a little harsh without having sufficient background, but I do see why, as a custodial parent, this would cause some strong feelings. The thing is, kids are taken out of state and country when they aren’t supposed to be, all the time. A lot of the time, the custodial parent doesn’t have the resources to do much about it, and it is really hard to get the kids back. In this case, it’s fortunate that she’s famous so at least they will be able to find her. So, I don’t think she’s necessarily getting special treatment. People violate court orders all the time without immediately being arrested. There just isn’t enough information about the situation.

24. by Tanya

On December 3, 2011 at 6:45 am

I think some of the pps are forgetting that this is a BLOG! Julia is not a reporter for Parents, she is writing a blog. Meaning, she writes about her personal experiences, thoughts, activities, and *dare I say it?* OPINIONS! Omg let’s all crucify her for having an opinion. Please. Get ready guys, here comes another opinion…mindy seems crazy. She has battled addiction but even if she is no longer actively using, there can be long-term effects from sustained and/or very heavy use. So guess what people? My opinion is that she is probably unstable. Stable people don’t kidnap children, whether the children belong to them or not.

25. by Cyndi

On December 4, 2011 at 11:44 am

Since when did Parents magazine become about slander and hurtful gossip?? I look to this magazine for HELPFUL articles and inspirational stories…not Enquirer type negligence. Just because something is floating around the internet doesn’t make it factual. That’s just ignorance. Its like saying the media reports facts only and doesn’t twist info to put out their version of the truth. Who are you to decide someones state of mind especially when you write such hateful words? Maybe you should focus on your own integrity and character instead if using this magazine to spew more hate into the world. Shameful…..

26. by Julia

On December 4, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Actually, I was “using” it to bring attention to the important issue of kidnapping of children by noncustodial parents, something that is terrifying to any single parent. This isn’t a blog about addiction or child abuse or any of the other things you mentioned in your nasty email to me. It’s a blog about single parenting. And I will often adopt a more controversial tone over being bland because, well, that’s what I do and how I write. Doesn’t mean I’m “hateful” or “lacking integrity” or any of the other things you called me while personally attacking me for my personal attack on someone else (whiplash, much?) Sounds like my blog’s not something you’d enjoy reading… So do feel free to not read it.

27. by Me

On December 6, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I don’t know or care anything about Mindy McCready, but I can say that if I knew my child was being abused, I would do everything in my power to get her out of that situation IMMEDIATELY. That would not mean filing documents, making phone calls, waiting for court dates, adjournments, visits, reports, more court dates, etc. etc. unless I did those things from very far away with my child safely by my side. It’s nice that you have so much faith in the system Julia but it isn’t always right, and frankly the courts can’t always sort things out as they have to sort through mounds of material submitted by people who hate each other, are often nuts, and at least half of which will be lies. Judges are people, not magicians. You’re really pretty naive.

28. by Wendy

On December 14, 2011 at 2:20 am

Wow, people. This is a blog, an editorial. This is not a news article. If you disagree, that’s fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But do you really think that calling her names is going to change her mind? Do you think she’s thinking, “She called me this name and that name so my opinion must be wrong and she must be right.” I’m pretty sure that’s not running through her mind. If you don’t like what she has to say, offer a counter-point. It sounds much more intelligent than name calling. And if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all. :-)

29. by Felicity

On December 15, 2011 at 2:01 am

Not one member of the family complained, Mindy’s step mom was even calling his school saying his absence was due to illness…but it being a Title I, where excessive absences are a no-no, the school sent the social worker over and he was not there so…it was the state initiating his return to FL. Billy had even given her his permission to have Zander during his scheduled visitation. I don’t believe he’s in any danger w/Mindy, as she said the court was transferring the case to her state anyway. His last name is McCready…some dad! If she’s drug free…wishing her all the best.

30. by Kizzy

On December 25, 2011 at 9:40 am

i’ve been reading this log since you started it. just thought I’d tell ya