On Plagiarism and Hate Mail

Okay, everybody, my blog is exhausting me.  Seriously.

This post will, of course, be about the Facebook post I wrote the other day.  I was more than a little taken aback both by its popularity and the amount of hate mail I got.  But we’ll get to that.

I’ll start with the most important issue.  It was pointed out to me that my post was very similar to those posted by the author of the blog STFU, Parents.  Now, I was aware of the existence of this site, since it had been linked to me long ago by a friend who thought it was funny (which it is), but I read it at that time and haven’t followed it since, and honestly it didn’t cross my mind when I sat down and wrote my post the other day.  I just blog whatever is on my mind, and it truly didn’t occur to me that it would ever be a problem to poke fun at my own Facebook newsfeed.  But the author was concerned that the jokes and the tone of my post are extremely similar.  I went back to their site and see their point– I’ve felt horrible about it all day.  I was actually going to delete my post entirely because as a blogger, I’d be livid if anyone ever stole my stuff, even unintentionally.  But then that didn’t feel quite right to me because I honestly hadn’t based my post on the other blog at all.  So I thought it would be best to just clear the air here and state that it was never my intention to copy anything, and also link to the STFU Parents site and point out that if you liked my post, then you’d like this site more, because if we’re being honest, it’s actually a good bit more hilarious than anything I wrote the other day.  So, go there and enjoy!

…Unless, of course, you were one of the hundreds of people who sent me hate mail because you thought my post sucked, and then, well, I don’t know what to tell you, because I don’t plan on apologizing for a post that was meant to be lighthearted and humorous.  I stated clearly in the beginning of the post that I’ve been guilty of posting the same “annoying” stuff.  That’s what makes it so funny to me.  As one of my readers pointed out on my Facebook wall, you’ve got to be able to laugh at yourself, right?  If you lose your sense of the ridiculous, all you’re left with is a stick up your butt, and personally, I don’t think that sounds like much fun.

So, if you liked it and sent supportive words, I just wanted to take a minute to thank you.  The hate mail gets to be a little bit overwhelming on days like that.  I am sensitive, you guys.

But don’t worry.  As always, I’ll keep on writing whatever I feel like writing, serious or sarcastic or both… unless it’s about Facebook.  Think I’m gonna take a hiatus from that topic for awhile.  It turned out to be a little bit more trouble than it was worth. ;)

Back To Unexpectedly Expecting
  1. by ylaci duke

On October 28, 2011 at 7:28 pm

i, and many others, love your blogs, so keep on doing what you’re doing. those of us who appreciate it will let you know and block out the negativity from those who don’t.

2. by Brittany

On October 28, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I also enjoy reading your blog and loved the Facebook post! I have been following your blog ever since I can remember, but have never commented. Try to take the criticism with a grain of salt and realize there will always be negativity – just don’t let it get to you! :)

3. by Sarah

On October 28, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I loved it & am pretty certain there are tons of blog posts about the subject. For someone to inquire about the similarities is ridiculous– this is real life.

4. by Jennifer

On October 28, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Don’t worry J – I’ll pray for ya, lol.

5. by Julia

On October 28, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Jenni, OMG the “I’ll pray for you” ones are the BEST. Hey, at least someone is. It’s the equivalent of the Bump’s “I feel sorry for your husband”… oh wait… I don’t have one of those. HAHA!!

6. by Emily

On October 28, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Anyone who had a problem with that post seriously needs to unclench. I’m guilty of at least half of the things you mentioned (and hey, maybe it was a post or picture of mine you were making fun of in the first place? If so, weeeee I’m famous! :) ) and shockingly we’re still friends, and you still comment to say nice things about my beautiful, genius children ;)

Anyone who doesn’t see the humor in that post has their funny bone broken. Lighten up people!

7. by AFB

On October 29, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I think it is great you caused such a reaction with your Facebook blog! That proves over 100 people were reading and reacting to your one blog post. That is exactly the point of blogging. Getting people talking, agreeing, disagreeing. That is why Parent’s highlight YOUR blog!

As for me, I am not on facebook. I know I would be not only one of the annoying people posting but also one of they annoyed reading other posts.

I am part of a Mom’s group and I posted the hilarious Mompetition videos. I got CRICKETS! LOL! check them out:

8. by Sheena

On October 29, 2011 at 7:21 pm

OK I had to go back and read the comments after the last post. And I know this has been said, but “HOLY CHEESE people. Chill out!” I’m sad to say that when I became a Mom, and started to read Mom discussion boards and such, I discovered that a lot of Moms are, well…b****s! Or maybe where I’m from people are more laid back…or don’t run around calling each other names. Or accept that some people have different opinions? Can we say “tolerance” guys?

9. by Sheena

On October 29, 2011 at 7:24 pm

AFB – I found those Mompetition videos a few months back when I was SAHM….LOVE THEM!!! Maybe all of us are some rare breed of laid back Moms with a sense of humor.

10. by Sheena

On October 30, 2011 at 2:03 am

AFB – I foound the Mompetition videos last year when I was a SAHM – LOVE THEM!! Surprises me how many people have no sense of humor though…

11. by karyn

On October 31, 2011 at 1:19 pm

it’s not the world’s biggest crisis or anything, but the fact that you had seen that site before and then wrote a blog that was essentially, exactly the same as the STFU site, is plagiarism. it was in your subconscious. i don’t believe that you acted maliciously, but it’s a really tricky area that you need to be aware of as a writer. she has worked hard to create a branded business of “writing humorously about parenting facebook overshare”. you read her site, shelved it away in your brain, and then later, made money writing about the exact same thing. intellectual property is such a gray area, and i think you’ve tried to do the right thing here by acknowledging her site and sort-of apologizing, but i do caution you, and parents magazine, to be more careful about this type of thing in the future. this is grounds for a lawsuit with a less forgiving writer. you have a day job. she is a full-time writer trying make a living off of her brand, which has existed for years.

12. by Hannah

On November 1, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I posted this on the original blog that got you lots of comments and h8ters :P

Visit this blog! Your post was not bad at all, this blog however horrible but hilarious also.

13. by Jen

On November 2, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I had to go back and read the comments and I am sitting here laughing my ass off!

“I am not impressed with your article.” Really??? First of all, it’s not an article and secondly it isn’t friggen War and Peace. It’s a blog post…someone’s opinion. Like it or don’t- and get off your high horse about being offended. Welcome to the world…the internet offends you- HAHAHHAHA!!

My second favorite comment is the ones defending why they do #1. 5, 7 and 12…guilty much?

Julia, I’m offended that these numbskulls are offended and in their own words, can’t you defriend/deblogger them? Thanks!

<3 you~