Hey, Parents on Facebook: Really?

We’ve all rolled our eyes at them.  We’ve all pointedly avoided “liking” them.  And let’s face it, we’ve all been guilty, at one time or another, of accidentally posting them ourselves.  That’s right!  Tonight’s topic is annoying parent Facebook statuses.

I’m fully prepared to admit that I’m a bit easily irritated by this sort of thing.  As a mom, I can only imagine how infinitely more annoying these statuses are to people who don’t have children.  And what about those people who would like to have children but, for whatever reason, cannot?  These statuses must make them want to hurl their laptop through the nearest plate glass window and then run outside to stomp on it and make sure it’s thoroughly destroyed.

I’ve selected some choice examples from my own news feed, at great personal risk of public humiliation and/or defriending.  Only because I love you guys that much.  Let’s begin.  (While I keep one eye on my rapidly-declining friend count.)

Example 1: The “my-child-is-a-genius-no-really” status.  These statuses usually end in at least seventeen exclamation points and involve an 8 month old being halfway to potty-trained or an 11 month old speaking in complete sentences.  In Mandarin Chinese.  Let’s face it, people.  You gave it your best shot, but we all know you’re making it up.  (And on the off chance you’re not, this is obnoxious bragging to the most serious degree.)

Example 2: The “no one cares about this s–t but me” status.  Such as, “waiting for little Jimmy to wake up from his nap before going to the store!”  Really, how are you supposed to reply to something like this?  Why would you waste the energy to comment or even finish reading once you get to word#5?  It’s not even worth the half of a calorie I might burn by lifting my finger to click “like”.

Example 3: The super not-cute photo of their kid, usually with a face covered in semi-identifiable pureed food, that becomes incredibly awkward when everyone fails to acknowledge it.  This becomes infinitely more cringeworthy with the inevitable single comment that eventually appears beneath it that when you click it, it’s from the parent, saying “what, really?!  No one else thinks this is the cuuuuutest thing everrrrrrr?!?!” (Also followed by more silence, which, if you’re extra lucky, is rounded off nicely by a snippy “hmph” from the original poster and then a conspicuous absence from Facebook for the next five days.)

Example 4: The photo albums full of like 75 nearly-identical pictures of the same kid.  While we’re on the topic of photos, let’s address these.  You know the albums I mean.  Drooling baby doing tummy time.  Drooling baby doing tummy time with one eye slightly closed.  Drooling baby doing tummy time with maybe a hint of a smile.  Drooling baby doing tummy time– wait, did they post this exact photo twice?  I think they posted this one twice.  Why am I even still looking at this?  GAHHH!!!  What is happening to my life?!?!

Example 5: Pretty much anything from a pregnant woman with no children about how overwhelmed she is or how nothing is ever about her, because let’s face it, honey, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

Example 6: The overly dramatic request for prayers.  I’m so sorry, but even if I were a praying person, which I’m not, I would never trouble the Good Man Upstairs with demands for your toddler to take a good nap before your dinner party or for your baby to have an ear infection in just one ear instead of two.

Example 7: The super-gross status about their child’s bodily functions.  I can’t even discuss the specific details of these without wanting to vom all over my keyboard.  Let’s just say I usually am eating while I browse Facebook and I’d prefer that you didn’t ruin my lunch with diaper details.  And for the love of God, please don’t elaborate with a photo.

I know there are more of these that I can’t think of at the moment.  Tell me, which parent Facebook statuses do you find most annoying?

Back To Unexpectedly Expecting
  1. by Erin M

On October 26, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Hmm…I think maybe I’m guilty of 1 and 3. But, in my defense rolling over prior to 3 weeks is a little genius and my parents yell at me for not posting enough pictures, so if he is food covered, so be it. ;-) I completely agree with 5,6 and 7 though.

2. by Erinn

On October 26, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I too am guilty of #3, but like the previous responder (who interestingly enough is also named Erin) I have parents that live far away who demand photos. #5 made me laugh out loud – Oh so true.

#4 is my pet peeve – In fact, I specifically try NOT to post too many pix of my daughter for that very reason. I have a friend who has albums of HUNDREDS – Seriously?!? I’m looking at maybe four pix of your three kids, tops.

I do not like statuses that are attention-seeking. Like “I don’t even want to talk about it!!” …OK…Then don’t!! Or the overly dramatic request for prayers but stubborn refusal to inform me what I am praying for. Um OK how ’bout no then?

3. by Gayle

On October 26, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Can I add 1 more?!?! How about the posts after each of their child’s well visits stating their weight/height/head circumference and the corresponding percentiles. I promise I will never post those details.

4. by Laura

On October 26, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Number 5 made me laugh too. The thing that I hate is when people post “baby Joey slept 10 hours straight last night at 5 weeks old!” ugh, maybe I’m just jealous though because my daughter didn’t STTN until she was 1, and my 10 month old still isn’t STTN.

5. by Erin

On October 26, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Alright… I am guilty of #’s 3 and kinda 4. In my defense I try to make sure the pics are different, sometimes that’s questionable. And the in-laws live cross country and haven’t even been able to afford to fly out to meet him yet. So I use fb as the medium to keep them updated and so they can watch him grow as much as possible. I’ve apologized to my friends at times, And I’ve tried to limit the photo overload by making the posts visible to the “baby people” group I set up only… A nice feature fb has come up with.
    I don’t want to be the obnoxious person on fb who people roll their eyes at… But keeping the distant family involved means more to me than some people rolling their eyes.
    I def don’t post about diaper contents or mundane daily stuff, but when he gets new teeth and masters a new milestone I share. But it’s for the family… I swear! :)

6. by Sarah

On October 27, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I think the absolute worst, which wasn’t included in this list, is when moms COMPLAIN. They either complain that they are super busy, or that they are doing housework, or that their husband doesn’t help, or that their child is being a brat that day. And on and on. It’s so annoying, because it makes me think, “well you CHOSE this, you now have to lie in the bed you made.” QUIT COMPLAINING! Your life is not any more stressful or busy than mine!

7. by Kelli

On October 27, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Parents are proud of their kids. If you don’t like their status messages, either “unfriend” them or hide them from your news feed.

I’ve also found that some parents post things in the hopes of getting help– without really wanting to directly ask for it.

I don’t post too much about my kid, unless he says something completely hysterical and it must be shared. But I’m not going to judge others for what they post.

8. by Jewels Aponte

On October 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm

To the authorr of this eloquent articleAre you a parent?

9. by Kari

On October 27, 2011 at 12:22 pm

OMG chill out. I always post stuff about my kid b/c my family is out of town and they ask to see/hear stuff about him. Too bad if people don’t like it. They must not be parents themselves, b/c parents should understand. There’s nothing like being a parent.

And to quote the author: “GAHHH!!! What is happening to my life?!?!” Um…you’re a mom and you’re of the age when your friends are parents too. That’s what’s happening to your life. It’s not exactly tragic.

10. by Amy

On October 27, 2011 at 12:23 pm

How about the number of parents that will post this article on Facebook and then comment, “OMG – I hate when people do this!”. Ahem…pot, meet kettle.

11. by VC

On October 27, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Im guilty of a few but being a military family our families back home miss out on almost everything. I dont go as far as elaborating bodily functions nor numerous pictures of the same exact thing or even brag about what accomplishments my kids have done recently but occasional updates, tons of photos and Ill admit I complain a bit via facebook but at the same time theres tons of mothers out there or even mothers to be that have really no reason to post half the things they do on facebook. To top that off I think my biggest pet peeve would be when people post pictures of their children naked. Ok little boys being shirtless is not what Im referring to, meaning butt naked, theres way to many creeps out there for that to be on the internet no matter how many “security” precautions you think you may be taking.

12. by Tara

On October 27, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Wow, I guess the most annoying thing is this article…I think I’ve probably posted something before that is a culprit of likely the pictures department…If you don’t like what your friends have to say about their kids, don’t read it. It drives me NUTS when people say what I should or shouldn’t post…I once typed a curse word and had about 5 people tell me to watch my language. They all became quickly defriended.

Seems to me you’re the annoying one complaining about what you waste your time reading.

13. by Stacey

On October 27, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I have to add people who use Facebook to talk to their child(who can’t even read yet or is not even old enough to get on Facebook) it is just presumed that you love your child so much. There is no need to say and I quote”just got back from a girls night to be with my hubby and daughter…kaydence mommy loves you so much <3.. Ok lady kaydence is 7months old she cannot read this nor log onto facebook herself. So go tell her you love her and not post it on facebook

14. by Amanda

On October 27, 2011 at 12:26 pm

My thoughts exactly Kelli! If I don’t like the things someone is posting I hide them or I just don’t read it but I’m not going to complain about what they post on their Facebook page!

15. by nicole

On October 27, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I can’t stand when parents put how their child is a demon or the spawn of Satan. Oh and then post “just shoot me”. I don’t care how tired I am with my 3 yr old and my 5 month old, I would never call them that.

16. by Anna

On October 27, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I don’t want to hear parents complain that they had a rough night and their child won’t stop crying. Get off facebook and help your kid! I can understand if you need advise on what to do but if you sit there and say your child is being a brat, you aren’t helping them. I have plenty of rough nights and my baby is teething but I try to keep that to myself unless I need some advise.

17. by Amy B

On October 27, 2011 at 12:29 pm

All are so true! However, as a praying person, I was a little offended…

18. by Angelyn Smith

On October 27, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I just wasted my time reading this. FYI, my family and friends love and enjoy my posts! and why i do it? because I’m a proud parent!

19. by skye

On October 27, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I am very proud of everything my child does so if someone on my friends list has a problem with things I post about him then they can delete me

20. by jan

On October 27, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Ultrasound photos. Enough said.

21. by Kim

On October 27, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Even when I was not a parent, I liked my friends’ statuses on all of the above. I like keeping up with the mundane details of my friends, knowing that I am not alone in my joys and occasional frustrations. And so what of the identical-looking photos? Don’t want to see them, then hit the “hide” button.

This whole post is pointless.

22. by Christina

On October 27, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I guess I’m weird bc I like hearing from my friends with children. We share stuff. It’s always good to know others have been though whatever I am dealing with. I am guilty of putting lots of pics bc I have family that like to keep up with my girls. I’m guessing the writer doesn’t have kids which makes me wonder why this article was even in a parenting mag in the 1st place.

23. by Lauren

On October 27, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I am actually a bit offended by this article. How could a Parents magazine have such a judgemental tone toward the things we are proud of as parents???

While I do not overly post about my child, I have probably been guilty of several of these at one point or another. My children ARE my life. And if I want to post things about them, that is MY CHOICE. If you do not like it, you may delete me as a friend or hide me.

24. by Rachel

On October 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Well I completely disagree with this whole topic. Being a parent is the best job in the world. Why shouldn’t we be proud beyond all reason to share stuff about our kids. And as a mom I love reading other moms statuses about their kids. And if someone doesn’t like reading mine then they can get off my facebook.

25. by Blanche

On October 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm

This is a stupid blog entry. It’s facebook. Enough said.

26. by sabrina

On October 27, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I can’t stand when parents make a facebook page for their children, that aren’t even old enough to walk let alone type or read!

27. by Morgan

On October 27, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I do like seeing pics of my friends and their kids. Some of them live far away and I hardly get to see them. But I can agree that having 400+ of pics that look almost identical is just too much. As for posting I don’t post very much about my son unless he has done something or said something funny. But my biggest FB peeve is the parents who have to announce that their child is starting to potty train, how it’s going, and what they have done while on the toilet. So next time I use the bathroom should I post that I went? I can understand asking for advice but I don’t need to know that your kid has peed 5 times on the toilet today.

28. by A Mom

On October 27, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Oh please, get over it. You don’t think all the status updates about your daily life that doesn’t include kids is annoying? (“I just burned 300 calories at the gym” etc…) If you don’t want to see/read these things, hide the people. Facebook is for sharing what is going on in your life and if you are pregnant or have a baby, that’s pretty much all that is going on in your life so that’s all you’re going to talk about. I’m surprised to see this on this site.

I’m a proud parent and I have 200 almost identical pictures of my little GENIUS! – Kiss my butt

29. by monica

On October 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm

for number 5 it is incredibly rude. yes when I was pregnant I had no idea what I was in for but being pregnant is no walk in the park either. Is it easier than motherhood? Yes. It is stressful? Yes. So to completely put pregnant moms off to the side because their problems are not as big as yours is just plain rude.

30. by Ramona

On October 27, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I must agree with Kelli. Being a parent is stressful, time consuming, but so very rewarding and parents are proud. Facebook is a social networking site and it gives the option for status updates so that people can post whatever status they want. Most post are annoying in general. I just love the ones where people take pictures of their plates of food at dinner to show us all what they are eating, or when they post a new self-taken camera phone picture of themselves looking all serious…I would much rather see the food covered faces of their kids. As for the #6, if you are not a praying person, then you wouldn’t know this, but nothing is too big or too small to pray on. All prayers are welcome right on down to the ones requesting a peaceful or lengthy nap for the toddlers. If people don’t want to be annoyed by alot of these status updates mentioned here, then just hide them the news feed as mentioned previously. That is the easiest solution. Then if you happen to be curious or feel you need to “check in” every so often, you can visit their profile and do so. Easy enough.

31. by ~Nicole

On October 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm

LOL! So true. #5 cracked me up as well. Just a thought: if you have fam that live far away and they want pics, email them. Isn’t that more personal than posting on fb? Just sayin…. Some people just like the attention, good or bad, alot of parents don’t have much time for socializing so fb is their only outlet.

32. by Amy

On October 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I agree these things can be annoying and have annoyed me in the past, but parents are often tired, overworked and sometimes lonely people. Give ‘em a break! I by “‘em” I of course mean me.:-) I am sure I have crossed the line now and then, but most often I am just often trying to connect with those also in the trenches. If it annoys you ignore me, hide me, don’t respond. I am not offended! And seriously, when little Sam-O gave us the thumbs up on his 30 week ultrasound, how can you NOT post that? It was amazing stuff! That being said if you are a chronic rule breaker of any of the above rules I will politely hide you for awhile. Especially if I think you are trying to snow me with your 4 week olds amazing vocabulary. But, if I care enough about you to have you as a facebook friend I will eventually come back and even “like” your status when you give a shout out to little Johnny for turning one. We are all in this together right??

33. by karenkln@iwon.com

On October 27, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Well what sort of parent posts does the author find as not annoying?

34. by Cheryl

On October 27, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Photos of kids and their “bodily functions.” All I can think of is what will that kid’s future teacher, spouse, supervisor think when they see photos of the kid using emergency potty outside, being potty trained, messy pants… After all, nothing ever totally disappears from the internet. Yuck!

35. by Ashley

On October 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm

And just may I ask is wrong with ultrasound pics @Jan? I think its a sweet way to announce you’re expecting. I’m expecting my 2nd child and we tried for a year, once we finally conceived and I knew the baby was healthy I was jumping with joy and the first thing I did when I got the chance was posst my 3 year old holding the ultrasound pic

36. by Marvin

On October 27, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Are you serious? Your editor went for such an article? Articles such as this is more annoying than anything that is posted on Facebook. I once felt as you do in face of so much pressure. You need to lighten up, see the world as a child and the annoying things people say will roll off or might even seem a little funny. A management professor once told me, “Get a Mickey Mouse Watch or something to remind yourself not to be so serious.”

37. by randi

On October 27, 2011 at 12:53 pm

For those complaining that if people don’t like your statuses then they can just not read them… same goes for this article. No need to bash just because you disagree or are embarressed because you’ve been called out. And people don’t defriend you because of your annoying parenting posts because they probably like you or are friends with you despite your annoying posts. I like this article. Its funny because its true. I agree that is shouldn’t know so much about your child’s bowel movements. Its gross and inapropriate. And I am sooo guilty of posting too many pics of my kid but I can laugh at myself and know its ridiculous. Relax people. Its one person’s oppinion.

38. by Mommyrocks

On October 27, 2011 at 12:53 pm

This was a rude and offensive article, I expected a few laughs and was disappointed. How about a little support and fellowship amongst us moms? Since your not a praying person, I’ll say one for you in hopes you’ll show a little more respect to your fb friends.

39. by Autumnsmom

On October 27, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I can not STAND it when people BRAG about their child’s weight being in the 95 percentile. Are you kidding me?! And what someone already said about well baby visits. Gimme a break. I also hate when moms post the events of their day. “Today we did this and that and then this and some more of that! Omg I’m so tired! Lol!” No one cares.

40. by Wendy

On October 27, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Wow…. I’m sure I’ll definitely offend the author of this blog and probably some of the readers when I say that, with the exception of #5, I don’t agree with any of this. As moms we are proud of the things our kids accomplish. To us they are “geniuses” and for the record, I have a 9 year old son who is severely disabled. He is bed/wheelchair bound, does not walk, talk, sit or do anything by himself. Almost every single picture I take of him is identical to the one before. Since he is unable to laugh or smile (the way a “normal” child would) and I have two of those also, BTW. So if it bugs people that I post “75 nearly identical pictures” of my son… then DON’T LOOK AT THE ALBUM! You have the choice not to! At least they are 75 nearly identical pictures of a really awesome kid who has no control of his circumstance and not some “supermodel wannabe” that posts 75 identical pics of THEMSELVES and always with the gratuitous “cleavage” shots. The statuses that bug me the most are the parents complaining about their kids and all their personal relationship drama… And when I start seeing too much of that on my timeline, I HIDE IT. And to the parents with kids that need to complain all the time…. Look around you, there are people out there dealing with a lot more than you.

41. by Erin

On October 27, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I’m surprised that you are a mom. I had to scroll back and re-read your intro a few times just to confirm that you said you are.

I’m a mom and use facebook. I often post about my child… for a few reasons. I tend to use facebook as a blog since I’m not a blogger & to keep family updated that live far from us. Our family (especially Grandparents) love to hear about every little update. Some people may not like it but I don’t do it for them and they don’t need to read my posts. If you sign up for facebook you’re signing up for it all… what posts on facebook are really that interesting? So, to clarify… my post about how my child finally went to bed without a temper tantrum and made my night is more annoying than some hipster posting about how coffee is their life? To each his own. I don’t waste time having an opinion on every post I read. We waste too much time attacking others and less time focusing on what we need to work on ourselves.

Giving birth and raising a child is a miracle and blessing. You’re not a praying mom? I would change that. I know I’m now praying to God today that moms will stop judging eachother… and spend a little more time encouraging and supporting one another.

42. by Adriana

On October 27, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Hey I think it’s balanced. We post about our children and their dance recitals and good grades. However, we have to sit through those posts from the single folks or the childless too. Trips to Vegas, Hangover posts, Nail appointments not necessarily Breaking News information. Facebook allows you to share the current chapter of your life. So if it includes a couple of kids pictures so be it. I scan my newsfeed and if something interests me I will respond, if it doesn’t then I ignore it’s that simple.

43. by APL

On October 27, 2011 at 1:00 pm

K Im totally guilty of alllllll of these things but as said before my firends can defriend me if they have an issue. I have a ton of family members who live out of state and love all the pictures and information. Its a nice neat way to let everyone know what is going on without calling everyone or emailing pictures. I find it true though that when other people do it its anoying but when I do it its ok. LOL but I read and laugh knowing that I am guilty and probably will not stop. But no really my oldest is smarter then most ;) and I am about to sweep my floor while my baby is napping… cause I know all you guys wanted to know that LOL really lighten up people it’s just FB gah!

44. by Wendy

On October 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Oh and one more thing… PRAYER IS A POWERFUL THING! I appreciate the fact that I have friends who can ask for prayer for anything and knowing that I have friends I know I can count on for prayer. For anything from an ear infection to my sons upcoming cardiology appointment! #6 statement did offend me.

45. by JoAnna

On October 27, 2011 at 1:04 pm

People post pointless things on facebook all the time. Such as “I’m eating a green apple” or “I’m wearing a white T-shirt.” I post tons and tons of photos of my child and of milestones reached. I do it because I’m proud of my child and so is my family. I don’t have 400 friends on FB, I have only people that have been or are a important part in our lives. Most of them love seeing how our child is doing. With that said, if you don’t like the post that your friends put up, either delete them or hide there posts from your page. Instead of hating on them for being a proud parent. Once you have children, they are your life. On facebook, you post about your life. To say that your post about your child is annoying, than the writer must have a very interesting life as a parent to a young child, because she has been through the same things as all of us “parents”.

46. by Wendy

On October 27, 2011 at 1:05 pm

@Erin & @Adriana

Well said!! I couldn’t agree with you more!

47. by Adriana

On October 27, 2011 at 1:10 pm

@Wendy I’ll say a prayer for your son sweetie. I hope all goes well :-) For the haters who don’t like prayer you can just ignore my post.

I forgot to mention to the author of the article that her saucer of milk is waiting at table 2 LMAO!!!! Have a beautiful day everyone! Shout out to all the Parents who are proud of their babies!!!! Post on!!!!

48. by Sharon

On October 27, 2011 at 1:11 pm

“Going to bed now. Goodnight.” Really? Like the rest of the world doesn’t do the same thing every night? Why bother?

49. by Amanda Holtom

On October 27, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I’m sure I’m guilty of at least #4 (the million same-pose photos thing) because it’s easy to “select all” from a folder when uploading pics. Guilty as charged because I’m lazy. And yes, it’s annoying when anyone does that, whether it’s of their baby/kids, car, Etsy stuff, or whatever. Pick the best of the crop and post those!

HOWEVER, I don’t find ANY of the rest of these annoying, and they’ve all happened to me except for #7 (I’m not friends with the kind of people who would post photos of their kid’s bowel movements, so I think that one was waaaaay out there).

My friends can post whatever they want, and I won’t judge them. If they want to brag on their ‘genius’ kid…who am I to judge? They’re proud of their kid, and I’ll often comment, “Wow! That’s awesome!” completely sincerely, because I’m genuinely happy for my friend. If any friend complains–be it about parenthood or anything else, I try to encourage them or say I can relate. Let them complain–they obviously need to vent! Life is stressful, and we need to stick up for each other, not judge each others’ postings. This only gives people YET ANOTHER reason to filter ourselves. Be yourself. Post what you want. If people don’t like it, they can unfriend you.

A WISE PERSON ONCE SAID:
    “THOSE WHO MATTER DON’T MIND, AND THOSE WHO MIND DON’T MATTER.”

50. by Nicole

On October 27, 2011 at 1:17 pm

If you don’t like what people are posting on facebook then delete them instead of complaining about it, which is just as annoying.

51. by Leslie

On October 27, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I think it’s funny these things bother you. The great thing about FB is that everyone can post what they want…the other great thing, you don’t have to read every post or look at every picture. I add all of the pics I take because of the family I have throughout the US that enjoy looking at every photo. If anyone has a problem with what someone posts, just unfriend them. The real question is…Are you REALLY upset about stupid posts?

52. by Heidi

On October 27, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I must echo what some others have said here, if you don’t like what your friends post on facebook, hide their posts or unfriend them. My biggest pet peeve is when people constantly whine and complain about their lives or unceasingly criticize others…oh wait, that’s you!

53. by LC

On October 27, 2011 at 1:30 pm

What kind of bitter person actually writes an article like this?! It’s called the “delete” button! USE IT. Shame on you Parents magazine! And shame on me for reading this waste of time!

54. by Mary

On October 27, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Some people write facebook statuses, some people write entire blogs… just saying…

And like most every other comment on here, everything I post is for my family, none of which live within 3 states of me. Don’t like it, don’t read it. It’s not for you anyway. The only parent posts that bother me are the ones from people who ONLY post complaints about their children.

55. by Kristen

On October 27, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I agree with the writer. I am a parent and I put plenty of photos up of my daughter. But I pick and choose (2 of her in her Halloween costume, handful from the zoo, etc) not 10 of the same tummy time. I post about her often. But I avoid writing how she is the smartest, cutest, best child ever. Do I think so? Often. But its rude to tell everyone that “No child has ever done ____ as early as mine!” I am a teacher and know what is developmentally appropriate for the age group. Most of what the parents are bragging about is completely normal and does NOT make their child somehow better than others. Be proud without being rude. Say “I am so proud, she took her first steps,” not “She is only 10 months old and she is walking! I did not think it was possible for children to walk this young! She is so advanced!!!”

56. by MD

On October 27, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I don’t post a too much on FB because those in my private life already know the details of it. No need to broadcast to the world.
    But those that post the “My life sucks and all this bad is happening to me, but my 5 year old kid is my BFF and she makes it all better!” Those posts are sad. Really? You clearly need a therapist. And while you’re at it, get one for your 5 year old too, because exposing her to your unhealthy drama, is going to mess her up.

57. by Shalala

On October 27, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I am actually n

58. by Sarah

On October 27, 2011 at 1:56 pm

hmmm…. i spend 9-10 hours a day with my just me and my child. this is my life. my non-parent friends post about their lives, why is it such a horrible thing to post about my life. furthermore, i agree with everyone who mentioned family/friends living far away. this is the best way to update them, and, excuse me, they do care and would be sad if i stopped posting pictures and updates about them!

59. by Oli

On October 27, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Thank you for this blog entry, it was funny and the comments are hilarious! I totally agree with randi! KUDOS to Parents Magazine for supporting all sorts of mom’s out there with all sorts of opinions! GREAT article

60. by Shalala

On October 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm

61. by Shalala

On October 27, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I am actually not impressed with this article. Like most moms I expected some laughs. Sadly not the reaction I received. I Post about my baby ALL the time. I am extremely proud of her and if my friends don’t like it then they know how to delete me. I do post when I go to bed cause some nights it’s 9 others it isn’t til 2 in the morning. But the. Again EVERYONE on my page I actually know. I don’t add or confirm friend’s for numbers. Also I will PRAY and ask for prayer as often as I want and I will pray for the blogger who wrote this cause she obviously. Needs it

62. by Jennifer

On October 27, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Gotta agree…not really impressed with the article, especially via the Parents website. I suppose at one time I’ve done most of these, but some are as important to me as any other status update out there. I also post TONS of pictures of my kids, including drooling baby ones, because my entire family lives in a different state and they love to see them. My assumption is that no one else looks at them, and I wouldn’t expect them to be checking them out.

PS. Status update: I’m 8 months pregnant and right now the baby has the hiccups. Take that.

63. by Kath

On October 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Wow!!! There are a lot of you complaining about the article!!! I actually agree with the author 100%. It’s one thing to brag about his first words, or walking for the first time, but it’s another to brag and exagerate. I also hate the 100 pics of the same pose. I too have family all over the world, a couple of pics of different poses are ok. I also share my kodakgallery with all the 100 pics with them and they can choose. I also hate the staus updates about nothing, “oh, im cooking this and this today” or “im going to the bank”. And guess what, this not only applies to parents, tons of childless people commit these offenses. Complainers, why even read the article, what were you expecting????

64. by Julia

On October 27, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Haha. It’s called humor, people! Besides, I said right in the beginning that we’re all guilty of posting annoying stuff from time to time. Shoutout to those who share my slightly twisted sense of humor. :)

65. by renita

On October 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm

What I really hate? Is someone sending out a list of the things they hate in hopes of having everyone change what they do just to please the poster. If you don’t like someone’s facebook status, blog post, or whatever just don’t read it. Seriously.

66. by Cyndi

On October 27, 2011 at 2:18 pm

As far as the seven offenses listed. im not guilty of all of them but im guilty of several of them. I however would have to say this isnt a great article. Im a stay at home mom my children are my life and if you dont like what i post then delete it. What you find annoying the Grandparents love. and being a Military wife the grandparents are on different corners of the country from us. Also what kind of person wouldnt pray that a child suffer less with only one ear infection instead of two. its not like we are asking you to sacrifice a limb. and there is nothing wrong with posting that your Son can walk at 8 1/5 months because if it offends some one then they are worrying to much all children are different and thats the highlight of my day so im gonna post it. again if you dont like it then you dont have to be friends with me but Most of my friends celebrate with me instead of trying to bring me down.

67. by Michelle

On October 27, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Okay most of what bothers me in this article has been said all ready so I am not gonna repeat it. However I take big issue with the author when she says that we offend people that are trying to conceive and or cannot conceive. If we all have to walk on eggshells because we are afraid we might hurt someone’s feelings no one would ever say anything positive about anyone. I shouldn’t have to be ashamed that I have a child and you don’t. It’s not that I don’t have compassion for those people but I am not going to hide the happiness in my life because of it.

68. by Britt

On October 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm

This article was just for laughs, nothing else. I’m sure that if the author really found these things so annoying she wouldn’t have a fb in the first place. She even said she’s been guilty of a few herself and this was a way to poke fun at something we all do! Lighten up!

69. by Amanda

On October 27, 2011 at 2:34 pm

The Blogger’s Bio:
    “Julia was shocked when she found out she was pregnant halfway through dental school. When complications developed around 28 weeks, she took a leave of absence from school. After a year at home with her baby, she went back to dental school in January 2010. That summer, she filed for divorce from her husband. She graduated from dental school in May 2011 and started a residency as a general dentist. This blog is about her life as a single mother of a toddler and as a dental resident.”

Julia, are you worried people will think you had a baby out of wedlock, or that you’re a bad mom (if you don’t explain that you took a year off to be a SAHM)? Why all the boring & unnecessary details? What’s wrong with: Julia is a dentist and a divorced mom of a two-year-old girl.

I did LOL at #4 (Gahh! What is happening to my life!). I have SO thought that when I’ve caught myself trolling on FB. But I thought the rest of these were a bit too catty. Not really my style; I’m not FB friends with people I don’t know, or people I USED to know, or people I don’t like. So that really cuts down on annoying postings anyway…

70. by Julia

On October 27, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Amanda, if you actually read my blog you’d know I don’t care much about what anyone thinks about my life choices. (Speaking of catty…)

71. by Brittany

On October 27, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Wow, lots of mombies embarrassed and their facebook oversharing. Some of these comments are definitely stfuparentsblog.com worthy.

72. by Lucy

On October 27, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I get a kick out of those post “My husband is the greatest daddy ever” I get the feeling they say those things to make themselves feel better. If you have to tell your fb friends how much you love someone or how great someone is there is something wrong with you.

73. by Katie

On October 27, 2011 at 3:29 pm

You said it Lucy….Another one, “I’m cooking dinner for my husband” UM No you’re not, you’re on facebook! Annoying -

74. by Cheryl Potzner

On October 27, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I think people can pretty much put what they want to on Facebook. It is up to us to keep such a friend on the page. If I find them to be annoying every day, I simply press the delete button.

75. by Rebekah

On October 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm

We thankfully live in a country where we have freedom of speech (and the press, and a LOT of other things we take for granted…). Though I didn’t necessarily agree with all the points, I appreciated the comedy of this article! It’s not going to affect how I post on FB, because that is MY freedom of speech. Cut the author some slack- what happened to tolerance???

76. by Jennifer

On October 27, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I am pretty sure that this article was meant to be fun, not offend anyone. I thought it was really funny and mostly true. Don’t be so serious people. I hate when people put posts on their fb about their pets like they are their children. Example, “my dog junior just had his six month check up and now weighs 15 pounds!” I wouldn’t even post that boring stuff about my own kids.

77. by P

On October 27, 2011 at 3:51 pm

THIS AUTHOR – JULIA LANDRY- IS A COMPLETE MORON. APPARENTLY YOU HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS TO READ EVERY LITTLE DETAIL ON FACEBOOK THAT ANNOYS YOU. DELETE THEM AND MOVE ON! HOW ABOUT KEEPING THINGS POSITIVE FOR US MOMS TO READ ON PARENTS.COM, INSTEAD OF THIS CRAP?

78. by Ha ha ha

On October 27, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Hey P – stop yelling. All caps is annoying.
    I am a parent. I still think this article is funny. Everyone whining above needs to chill out and calm down. Getting this “offended” and “upset” over an article that’s pretty much meant to be funny is ridiculous. Now run along and post on Facebook how much this article offended you. ::eyeroll::

I for one think it was funny, and I have plenty of friends who do things on the list. I try not to post much about my kid because I do know how annoying it is to see nothing on my wall about all the stuff on this list.

79. by C

On October 27, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Bravo! I couldn’t agree more! Ugh. Don’t you have a life outside of your child FB friend who constantly brags about your child? So annoying. And to thos posters saying, “Just block your friend,” why would I block my friend. I still love them, just not their play-by-play of little Susie’s life. Some of you need to remove the stick from your rear.

80. by Rachel

On October 27, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Omg 2 absolutely kills me! Why would anyone care that you just made dinner and did laundry? Seriously?
    On the flip side, I adore messy baby photos! Lol

81. by Amanda

On October 27, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Julia, I didn’t mean to come across as catty. I was merely pointing out that the bio seemed a bit ‘off’ to me and I questioned the motives behind the extraneous information on it. I don’t think you need all that info on there, as it almost sounds defensive, like a pre-emptive strike or something at judgemental people. That’s all. No offense. I should’ve private messaged you with my critique; I apologize. I work in psychology, as an editor no less…it’s hard not to examine motives and/or offer critique.

I did peruse your blog and thought/think it’s generally entertaining. Good luck with it. All this publicity should help, in any case! There’s no such thing as bad press. :)

82. by Britt

On October 27, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Thank goodness there are still people with a sense of humor out there. Its so aggravating when people can’t take a joke over something like facebook! Its a humor article,stop taking it so seriously!

83. by MrsS

On October 27, 2011 at 6:03 pm

#4 is my ultimate pet peeve. I have a “friend” who seriously fills albums (that’s 200 pictures) of what could honestly be about 10 pictures. And to top it off, she’s a horrible photographer! So half the pictures are blurry or dark or the back of the kid’s head. So obnoxious!

I’ll admit, I do write a lot of posts about my child, but I do try to keep it to a minimum out of respect for my many friends who are having trouble conceiving and/or have ill children.

84. by Claire

On October 27, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I know I have tons of pictures of my son, but they’re mainly all different & have lots of likes and comments cause people just love us ;p jk but really I hate annoying parent post I always delete them after I realize I’ve posted them lol I know my son is great so I don’t try to one up him on fb ;) how about the every month posts…_____ just turned 2 months ______ just turned 3 months ______ just turned 4 months we get it they grow older every month!!!

85. by Emily

On October 27, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add any status update that is addressed to the parent’s young, often infant child. As in “Happy Birthday Sophie, mommy loves you!!!” or “Dear Johnny, please go to sleep so mommy can facebook in peace. Love, mom.” Who exactly is supposed to respond to this? Is it supposed to be cute? Because (coming from another parent), it’s actually obnoxious.

86. by Julie D

On October 27, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I hate when pregnant women post belly photos on Facebook – or ANYWHERE ELSE. No one else cares!!!!

87. by Kelley

On October 27, 2011 at 11:06 pm

What about the people that post topless photos of their child? It is NOT cute to see your 3 year old in the bath tub. Remember that anyone who sees your photo can save it to their computer. Would you mail a photo of your kid in the bathtub to every friend on facebook? Seriously it makes everyone uncomfortable. I don’t care if your kid is a messy eater, swimming, or whatever. Over a 1 year old, you need a shirt. Period.

88. by Michelle

On October 28, 2011 at 12:37 am

Julie D.
    If no one cares about pregnant bellies how come perfect strangers come up to touch pregnant bellies?

89. by Cynthia

On October 28, 2011 at 8:30 am

At Kelley, Julie D, Emily and several others i find it interesting how you have some magic ability to read everybody elses mind to determine that “nobody” wants to hear/ see what ever it is u mentioned. so you dont want to see pregnant belly pictures. so you dont want to see bath time pictures. and so you dont want to see “Happy birthday ____ mommy loves you” that doesnt mean every one else doesnt want to see them. try to not speak for me and my friends we can speak for ourselves.
    Now i will say i find it questionable as to weather you should post shirtless photos of your female child over 1ish but depending on the age of the little girl id have trouble judging as to weather there is actually something wrong with it.
    The Only kind of comments I personally have a problem seeing from parents are those comments that talk about how horrible their demon spawn children are. if you or your child is having a bad day then wait til they nap or go to sleep and call a close friend or family member and vent but dont go on such a public venue and speak about your child so negatively. Again all these other things even in this article while i may not personally do most of these things if that is what is going on in my friends lives and that is what they have to share then i wanna see it. even if they are having a bad day and their kids are driving them nuts that’s ok but dont trash talk your kids in public.

90. by karyn

On October 28, 2011 at 9:35 am

i find this article to be disturbingly similar to everything written on the very popular http://www.stfuparentsblog.com/
    and i think parents magazine should be more responsible when publishing articles that read like plagiarism.

91. by Julia

On October 28, 2011 at 10:29 am

I’m actually in contact with the person who writes that blog and am going to look into it tonight. It certainly wasn’t my intention to copy anything. Making fun of FB statuses is, I’m sure, not an original or trademarked idea, but as a blogger I wouldn’t want anyone copying MY stuff, even unintentionally, so I am going to look into the matter and take it very seriously. I am a bit bewildered by all the backlash of various kinds regarding this post, quite honestly, and at this point wouldn’t mind deleting it.

92. by Cindy

On October 28, 2011 at 10:59 am

I totally agree with Kelli. Question here is why are you wasting your time reading other people’s Facebook status or looking at their pictures when you find it annoying…it’s not your business and Facebook is a social network for people to socialize and share. Don’t read them. Period. A lot of Moms are lonely too. We stay at home with our kids all day long and go for long periods without adult interactions. This is where we share our thoughts and our little achievements and our joys. Honestly, moms who felt that they were ‘guilty’ of any of the above, they really shouldn’t be made to feel this way. We don’t have to justify what we do so others will not judge us. From the way I see it, either way we are being judged anyway. Just don’t make put a label on us and make us ashamed of what we write on our Facebook. Reading your blog makes me want to post 100 albums just to prove a point…bad…sighz.

93. by oilandgarlic

On October 28, 2011 at 2:24 pm

wow 92 comments…I’m more of a regular reader even though my life could not be more different. I think many of the commenters who are offended are probably those annoying facebook friends. I understand the need to keep distant relatives updated but it’s easy to see how it can be “too much” for non-family members, and truthfully probably too much for anyone besides grandparents!

I think this was pretty funny! You can love your children and still have a sense of humor and not think they are baby geniuses!

94. by Shannon

On October 28, 2011 at 7:40 pm

The article is funny because it’s true, but the comments are HILARIOUS. Hey, everyone telling the author to quit reading things she doesn’t like, take your own advice and STFU! I mean, really, this article was a JOKE, but y’all are serious about your FB photos and potty updates. Signed, a mom who still has a sense of humor.

95. by Rachel A.

On October 28, 2011 at 10:00 pm

All of the people complaining need to take their own advice. If you don’t like what was written, then don’t read it. Practice what you preach and go find your sense of humor. It’s probably up your bum along with the stick that is permanently lodged there.

96. by Felicia

On October 28, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Hey guys, if you have time or inclination to read her blog, your obviously have similar interests as the blogger….. It’s all about finding commonality with others. I choose to read her blogs because I enjoy hearing about other working mom’s and not feeling alone. I don’t always relate or agree but I chose to read what was written and not condem her opinion. Some of you out there are just mean. Everyone has things that annoy them and it is just plain mean to get hostile at someone for their opinion. I feel bad that she is choosing to share her thoughts, you chose to read it, and now your lashing out at her.

97. by Katie

On October 29, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I thought this was hilarious. In my opinion, it was not rude or offensive at all! The author admitted to being guilty of these things herself. And the article was, I think, written in a light hearted tone. People get so offended by the silliest things sometimes. Take it easy people, laugh a little, it’s ok. And if you do these things constantly, who cares? She was just pointing out the obvious and laughing about it. And yes, I am a mother of 2 boys and I am guilty of pretty much all the things in the article. :)

98. by Mom

On October 29, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Love how fired up some people are! Hilarious. I particularly love everyone talking about updating relatives that live far away. Do you realize that you can send them a private message? Or you can make a photo album that only they can see? If you did your message would be private, which means EVERYONE won’t get to see it. You could also think about texting, email, skype, kodakgallery, making a phone call, etc. Facebook is fun. It’s a great way to connect with people. It shouldn’t be the only way you share information.

99. by Jess

On October 30, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Wow…chill out, people. No need to get so defensive. Is anyone actually a regular reader of this blog? It’s a humorous view of life as a parent; go back a read a few entries. Don’t take it so personally. Those who are the most upset and offended are probably the people who post things like “Little Johnny just had the grossest poopy diaper.”

100. by KathleenSteffy

On October 31, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I think your blog is hilarious! I appreciate the humor in at all. Also, I think it’s ridiculous you’re being accused of plagerism. Does Stfuparentblog really think they’re the first and only to make fun of facebook status’s? WOW!

101. by Tara J

On November 1, 2011 at 9:32 am

I’ve probably done most of these things at one time or other. But here is the thing, I now have the child I’ve been wanting for about 25 years. My world has changed in little and huge ways and that particular dream has come true, so yes, I’m going to be a little obnoxious about it sometimes, hide my status if pics of my beautiful boy are unbearable.
    I also appreciate reading the daily stuff that my brothers and sisters post about my nephews (all my family is far away). I appreciate advice and support from friends and family who experience caring for an infant. I am single and sometimes really need to hear from people. None of that stuff annoyed me before I had a child–I asked for updates from my parent friends-and truthfully, I don’t care if it’s annoying now that I am a mommy.

102. by HANNAH

On November 1, 2011 at 4:21 pm

To all parents please visit this blog

Julia’s post is really not that bad at all, the blog is worse but oh so funny! :P

103. by Jen

On November 2, 2011 at 8:17 am

Ok so first of all people on Facebook are annoying whether they have kids or not. Facebook has given people this idea that everything about their life is important when it’s not. Nobody cares that you are doing your laundry, we all have laundry to do.
    But parents the “I have family in other areas” does not stand imo. Email, you have to have it to sign up for facebook. USE IT. I know its probably faster to use Facebook so make it a private album or use a photo sharing site.
    And if you have every right to post whatever you want then so do we. I ‘m so glad when I grew up my parents were busy being parents, get off the computer and spend time with your child.

104. by Cassie

On November 14, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Here is my problem with this blog, though I see what the author was trying to portray this is down right catty and unneeded.As a mom of an 18month old I am guilty of doing all of these things, why shouldn’t I be excited when he went peepee in the potty, or says a new word, or hits a new milestone? And why would you care that I was excited unless you were excited with me?making a woman and mother feel terrible for sharing experiences that other moms remember and cherish, for new moms to look forward to, and friends and family to enjoy is not harmful or annoying, its a beautiful proclamation of how amazing life is and the miracle of one day not knowing how to sit up, and the next you can. I am guilty of having a few hundred pictures of my son, I seperate them into folders with the month marked since there are so many wonderful changes in life in 30 days. I do my best to keep duplicates out of the picture, sometimes its unavoidable especially if family tags you in their set of photos from the day. Now my family isn’t far away in fact my entire family including grandparents, aunts, uncles, and most cousins live within 30 minutes of my home, just because I don’t go months or years without seeing them, doesn’t mean they don’t want to see captures of amazing feats and great moments.
    Asking for Prayer… Really your going to bash a woman for asking for help just because she doesn’t divulge the juicy details of why her life is falling apart. As a woman from a broken home, abusive past, and many other painful memories, why if I need prayer would I want to or feel the need to announce all over facebook that my family needs prayer because my Marine husband still gets night terrors from Iraq, and potentally embarass him all over facebook, or announce troubles publicly that aren’t personally mine but still trouble me. Its terrible you would say that you “wouldn’t want to bug the big guy upstairs” just because you didn’t get the gossip you were hoping for. Its very evident that the author is not a praying woman because if she was, she would know, sometimes lifting someone up in prayer is all they needed and God is never too busy, and doesn’t have a pre-req for gossip for you to be able to “submit” your prayer to him.
    Lastly, I respected this blogger til today, the sheer disrespect she has for a mothers excitement, joy, frustraitions, and pain even if its expressed through something like facebook, really makes me wonder how she treats a woman face to face, with a story of her day, or her kids, or her struggles. From the tone of this blog it appears she would “roll her eyes” at them face to face, and still have the nerve to say she is a friend. That my dear is what my 13 year old sister does when my mom tells her to do her homework, and I pictured you a little more mature that that.

105. by Kae

On November 14, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Mmmm…somebody was having a bad writing day, weren’t they?

106. by Kel

On November 17, 2011 at 10:01 am

Seriously? Are these people not posting on their own walls? Maybe if it bothers you so much you need to leave facebook. Oh I’m not saying there aren’t those posts that annoy me or make me roll my eyes, but they have every right to post anything they want as well as you have the right to crab about them. Who asked anyone to LOOK at the albums or comment on the posts. You can block anyone you want to and if they are THAT annoying unfriend them! And as to “get off the computer and spend time with your child” goes .. why are you on the computer wasting your time posting on something this trivial? Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

107. by Natalie

On December 2, 2011 at 5:26 pm

By far the most annoying parent status for me falls under the category of passive-aggressive “my life is so much better/busier/worse” than yours. You know the kind, the laundry list of 18 things she has to do that day ending with “im supermom!”, the thrice-daily updates of why her child is perfect and so loved, and the annoying posts as to why her life is so god-awful. I dont mind when any of these are done in moderation, but when they are constant it drives me CRAZY.

108. by Randall

On May 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm

You know what else is funny aside from this article? A whole list of angry, offended, silly mommies whose primary argument against your post is “if you don’t like them don’t read them” and the go on to read your whoooole article, even though it was apparent about half way through, what your article was all about. They then decided to not take their own advice and complain about how offensive you are as opposed to just leaving and not readIng your article. Pretty funny if you ask me. Entertaining post miss.

109. by www.freebigtittyvideos.com

On April 29, 2013 at 5:36 am

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You definitely know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos
    to your weblog when you could be giving us something informative
    to read?