One Week, Toddler-Free, Coming Right Up!

Guys, I’m on momcation again.

Tyler’s parents are visiting, so he has her for almost a week.  He came and got her from my place around 6:00 last night.  Here’s a text conversation that transpired between my friend and I around 6:05:

Me: Caro just left.  I miss her already.

Friend: Aww, I’m sorry, Jules.  She’ll be back before you know it!

Me: Just kidding I’m FREEEEEEEE, B*TCHES!!!  HAPPY HOUR TOMORROW!!!

(You can just go ahead and put my Mom of the Year award in the mail.)

I’m fully prepared to be considered a terrible person and unfit mother for this post, just to get that out of the way.  But I don’t really care, you guys.  I need some toddler-free time and I need it bad.  I need to pee alone, I need to wash the applesauce out of my hair, I need to not hear Dora the Explorer’s voice for at least 48 hours, and most of all I need to actually (gasp!) be allowed out of my house after 7pm.

Mostly I just need some sleep.  Caroline pretty much never sleeps anymore.  She’s been up nearly every hour of every night since I came back from Jamaica.  Before I had a child, and especially before I became a single mom, I was one of those people who had a love affair with sleep.  I cherished sleeping in and I could practically taste a good nap like an icy cold glass of lemonade on a hot July afternoon.  I’m not gonna lie– whenever Tyler takes Caroline for more than a day or two, I miss her a little… but mostly I just revel in the extra sleep that I get.

I’m also going to be seeing quite a bit of HSD while she’s away, which I’m excited about, and yes we are seeing each other again, and it’s going really well, and I swear by all that is holy that if you guys give me too much sh*t about that in the comments I will never write about dating again.

Tyler’s been much better about spending time with Caroline since he got back from his summer trips.  I catch myself doing that, telling people when they ask, “he’s been doing so well, seeing her almost every week”… almost like I’m marveling at a puppy being housebroken long before I expected that he would be.  When I do, I sometimes remind myself that it’s not some kind of feat or accomplishment on his part, that he is simply doing what he should be, as her father, and only part of it at that.  But then again, it is better than it was, and I learned long ago that you can’t force the visitation issue, you can only encourage their time spent together and appreciate your time “off” when you do happen to get it.

And this week, I plan to appreciate it to the fullest.

Add a Comment
Back To Unexpectedly Expecting
  1. by Laura

    On October 20, 2011 at 6:39 pm

    Enjoy your time off! I miss my kids when I am away from them, but maybe only 33% of the time. The other 67% of the time I am happy to have a break. Now that I have a talking, receptive, repeating toddler- it’s nice to be around adults once and awhile and be able to drop some “f bombs” again.

  2. by Kristen

    On October 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm

    I think that you can definitely still enjoy being a parent and also enjoy having time to yourself or with friends. Having some “time off” of anything makes people happy. A happy mom is a good thing.

  3. by Emily

    On October 20, 2011 at 8:28 pm

    Good for you and HSD! (and I mean that seriously). You deserve it, and enjoy your week off, no matter how much you love your child everyone needs some grown-up time!

  4. by Heather

    On October 21, 2011 at 10:17 am

    I totally understand. My hubby works out of town from Monday to Friday and it’s exhausting to do everything on your own. A break is definitely in order now and then. Enjoy!!

  5. by Ryan

    On October 21, 2011 at 1:15 pm

    ” I swear by all that is holy that if you guys give me too much sh*t about that in the comments I will never write about dating again.” Ha! good for you : ) date! SLEEP! It’s your life.
    I find myself talking about my husband like that sometimes, he’s actually been doing XYZ! Good puppy, have a treat.

  6. by Janie

    On October 24, 2011 at 8:26 pm

    I never really felt guilty going away from my toddler girl. Only when she got older (she’s now 4) did I honestly miss her after a few days.

  7. by Christian

    On October 25, 2011 at 12:50 pm

    I’m glad you are dating! Enjoy your toddler-free time! Your blog is awesome :-)

  8. by Caro B

    On November 1, 2011 at 10:42 am

    Good on ya, and don’t feel bad. Mommas are PEOPLE TOO! How many people don’t know that, come on? I feel sometimes the constant struggle to make sure people understand that yes, we have a kid (or kids), and yes, we also would like to have some OTHER life things going on besides Disney shows and sanitizing the house.

    So enjoy time with HSD, sleep in, eat stuff that you wouldn’t in front of toddler girl (love the name, btw, good choice) and be HUMAN. ‘Tis only natural.