The following is a list of the things that, while pregnant, I said I’d never do… that are shot to hell now that I have an actual baby.
1. I’ll never give a pacifier.
2. I’ll never give a bottle before breastfeeding is established. (To be fair, these first two happened in the NICU while I wasn’t there and I was too intimidated and tired to protest when I realized that they’d given them to her.)
3. I’ll never consider switching to formula (no, I’m not actually switching, but it’s crossed my mind a time or two because as I posted before, breastfeeding is OH MY GOD REALLY HARD AND AWFUL).
4. I’ll never let the baby sleep with us in the bed. (I didn’t cave on this one because she won’t sleep anywhere else… she will, but I just really want to snuggle her and see her cute face anytime I want.)
5. I’ll never dress my kid in cutesy bows and ribbons if she is a girl (see: enormous bow on hat, several posts below).
6. I’ll never make Tyler get up in the middle of the night to do a feeding, because I can stay home and sleep but he has to get up early and go to school. (Whoops. I am a terrible wife.)
7. I’ll never whip my boob out in front of anyone but Tyler. (The ladies have already been out in front of everyone in two NICUs, the pediatrician’s office, and the UPS guy the other day when I forgot to button my shirt before answering the door.)
I’m sure there are more, but I am a bit sleep-deprived and can’t remember what else.
But you know what? I don’t really care about any of that. First of all, my new mantra is “if it works and no one dies, it’s probably okay”, and second of all, I am too busy soaking up every minute of her being this tiny, because I already know she’s going to grow up too fast.Add a Comment