Autism, Vaccines And The Fake Research That Won’t Die

The research linking autism to childhood vaccines continues to do harm, long after it was proven to be a fraud. That’s clear to me because I keep hearing of moms not vaccinating their children due to concerns about autism, and also because people who believe it are still making headlines. Most recently, actor Aidan Quinn blamed his daughter’s autism on her vaccine. As he said in his interview with The Irish Independent, “So we had a normal child that was walking, talking, doing everything way faster than she was supposed to. Then, after an MMR, she got a 106 degree fever and turned blue and woke up the next day with dark circles and not knowing who she was. And uncoordinated.” His daughter, Aida, now 19, has autism and is nonverbal.

By now most people know that the so-called “research” was disproven. Back in 1998, British doc Andrew Wakefield published a paper claiming a link between the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine and autism. He based in on 12 case studies. By 2004, he’d been widely discredited. The esteemed medical journal that had originally published his research, The Lancet, retracted it. By then, the research had already had a resounding impact on public health, as parents stopped getting their child the vaccine and reported cases of measles went up.

In January 2011, the British Medical Journal deemed Wakefield’s work an “elaborate fraud.“  As an accompanying editorial noted, “Perhaps as important as the scare’s effect on infectious disease is the energy, emotion and money that have been diverted away from efforts to understand the real causes of autism and how to help children and families who live with it.”

Fear is a hard thing to repress, especially when it concerns the well-being of our children. “I know that there’s no  connection between the vaccine and autism, but I can’t get past it,” a mom recently said to me. “I understand,” I said, “and I’m no doctor but I think it’s more harmful for your kid not to get the vaccine.” Of course, concerns should be discussed with a pediatrician; many doctors work with parents to space out vaccines.

Do you still fear the MMR vaccine, even though you know the connection to autism has been disproven? Do you know parents who refuse to get their kids the MMR?

Back To To The Max
  1. by Seola

On March 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Unfortunately, there are some you’ll never convince that this study was fake. I’ve seen excuses range from the Illuminati to the doc being mind controlled over the retraction. Logical thinking fails some people… that 12 does not a diagnosis make.

One austism mom I know doesn’t believe for a second her child was diagnosed because of the MMR or any other vaccine. Her viewpoint was that she was a good, attentive mom and she *knew* from almost the start that he was different. He was presenting long before he got the vaccines and they didn’t make him worse. She also does well speaking with me on all the new information. She’s very open and honest. It’s exposed me to a whole new world for her.

Aidan Quinn has nannies. How would he know the every minute daily things that might have been off with his kid? Unless he’s an out of work actor, saying “gee, he got a fever and bam, autistic”… funny he makes the connection AFTER this study. Yet, it wasn’t made for him 18 years ago? Nope. And there’s not a shred of medical scraps anywhere that presented these findings or even theory papers that vaccines and autism were related. Because autism never presents with the vaccine alone and the rates were always the same in all parts of the world. That’s why no one “made the connection” – because there wasn’t one.

He and Jenny McCarthy have some incredible damage (and to the parents whose non-vac children have died, OR to parents who had babies too young to get the vacs yet and died because of another child given them a curable disease) to the autism community.

Someday, we’ll get back to vaccines being normal and not blasphemous. But those parents will never get their kids back. It’s why I specifically chose a pediatrician who will not have unvaccinated children in their clinics. My twins already have survived Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome. They, as newborns, didn’t need exposure in the waiting rooms alongside kids who are getting incredibly sick off preventable disease.

I respect the rights of doctors to treat or refuse to treat parents on either side, but as a mother, I had to make that decision for my children to find that pediatrician.

2. by heidi

On March 27, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I think parents should search the ‘net for IMAGES of measles, mumps, rubella (& other deadly diseases) which kids often DIED from before we had vaccines!!

I think it’s kinda crazy not to vaccinate your kids…
    There are some kids who cant be vaccinated due to medical reasons and that’s a completely different story. And “the rest of us” should be vaccinated for them!!

3. by Dderbydave

On March 27, 2012 at 2:35 pm

This nonsense is damaging for many reasons.
    Prime is detailed above by Seola, not vaccinating kills and damages more and more children.
    Secondly, parents with children who are autistic don’t need this hocum. They have enough to deal with without fretting over whether an injection could have caused it.
    For anyone who still has any doubts about Wakefield, read his own defence in Callous Disregard. It exposes him more than any newspaper article ever could.

4. by Sarah

On March 27, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I find this article inflammatory and degrading. So what of you choose to vaccinate and I don’t? If my kid doesn’t get the MMR and contracts one of those viruses, it came from somewhere, my hold was exposed somehow, so it is in the area. And what about the children who cannot have vaccines for various reasons? You going to blame that mother too? I believe in vaccines. I don’t think they are all terrible. But they should be spaced out, we are totally over dosing our children.
    In respects to those in the autism community, if you had a child that was completely ‘normal’ until right around the time of a vaccine, would you not blame the vaccine? If anything is wrong with our children we search for a reason. We ask ourselves WHY WHY WHY?! Give these parents a break. Regardless of if it is ‘fake’ evidence or not, these parents are searching for a reason to what went wrong with their child. Think of the guilt they must feel if they truly believe their child’s autism was from a vaccine…something they agreed to give their child. They blame the vaccine companies and doctors, but also themselves. Step into their shoes. You might carry the same opinion they do.

5. by Nicole

On March 27, 2012 at 11:17 pm

For one, there have been new updates in the story of Dr. Wakefield and his charges of fraud are in the process of being repealed because guess what? OTHER studies are finding links as well. Second, Dr. Wakefield NEVER said MMR shots caused autism. He is a gastroenterologist and described links between leaky guts and other stomach issues with the MMR shot. Third, until you have a child that was developing completely normal and hitting every milestone until they get a vaccine and see the lights completely turn off in one day, please don’t sit there and judge how a parent should react. My son was completely there. He was talking and happy. The next day after his vaccines, he was GONE. My son has never told me he loves me and I don’t know if he ever will. He can barely put 2 words together and he is almost 4. Until you’re in that position, don’t judge. I know my son and I know what I saw happen to him. And there are THOUSANDS of stories just like mine.

6. by Jaymie

On March 28, 2012 at 12:05 am

I know for a fact the MMR caused my sons Autism.. No one can tell me different. Ever hear the word COVERUP.. Don’t always believe
    what you read or hear. I saw what happened to my son with my own eyes. It was immediate and ever wonder why they hand you a stack of papers to give your consent before they administer vaccines to your child. Maybe you should read those. No they don’t say cause Autism but they do cause adverse reactions and death.

7. by Deborah L

On March 28, 2012 at 6:32 am

Fyi: One of the early signs of Autism is a child hitting milestones way earlier than most children, such as walking at 7-8 months old. I can’t presume to know what these parents go through, but I am an educator with lots of experience teaching children who fall in various places on the spectrum. I think refusing to vaccinate based on circumstantial evidence and false research is selfish and ignorant. Many parents are unaware of the very early signs that may present themselves or unaware of the fact that Autism sometimes doesn’t present itself at all until around the same age the MMR vaccine is given. They wrongly assume their child was developing normally when in reality that is not the case. I too am a mother of twins and can sympathize with the power of fear.

8. by Oriane

On March 28, 2012 at 10:19 am

When the Swine Flu vaccine came out a few years back, a friend was concerned about the risk of a rare but serious side-effect. I presented him with the risk of the Swine Flu – death, a much more likely risk than the rare side-effect.

Vaccines work on the principle of “herd immunity” – the more members of a community that are immune, the fewer available hosts and the virus doesn’t take up residence in the community.
    Since the shadow of doubt was cast on the MMR vaccine 14 years ago, there has been a dip in vaccination rates and not surprisingly now we are getting outbreaks of diseases that we had all but eradicated. They’re back, and they’re killing kids, not just the ones whose parents made bad decisions, but infants who aren’t old enough for certain vaccines as well.

Vaccines don’t cause autism. Autism is caused by complex interactions of genes and possible environmental triggers in utero. The neurological changes that happen in autism seem to take place between 6 and 12 months, an important period of learning and brain growth; during this period of infancy, the brain begins to specialize and wiring becomes more efficient, a process called pruning. In autism, this pruning doesn’t seem to occur properly, and the brain continues to grow (thus the bigger heads). This has all happened long before you took your child for an MMR vaccine.

9. by anne

On March 29, 2012 at 7:11 pm

if you have a child who is damaged by a vaccine you know what it is like. My daughter received her MMR vaccine ran a high fever and lost her hearing. The doctors told me it could have been “much worse” mush worse??? yeah my 18 month old had hearing up until that point, she cannot talk and is deaf all beacause of a vaccine, yes she is not autistic but she is deaf for the rest of her life. Some children come through the vaccines and are fine but the ones who are damaged are damaged for LIFE once that needle goes into their body you cannot take it back, would I rather taken my chance with measles and had my daughter with her hearing intact? you bet. Vaccines are not as safe as the doctors make them out to be just read the package inserts and you will be educated. I am not against vaccines I just think parents need to think and research the side effects that they will not tell you about. I know several parents whose children are damaged by vaccines and it is deplorable! I chose not to vaccinate my youngest child after what hapened to my daughter and he is a healthy 2 and a half year old, has met all his milestones early and is NOT autistic, he is a healthy little boy. The person who said that reaching milestones early is a sign of autisim that is bs as far as I am concerned my kids all walked early, talked early etc and none of them are autistic.

10. by Sam

On March 31, 2012 at 12:32 am

Dear freelance magazine editor,were do you get your research? How can you write an article that you have no prove and resource to show for.

11. by Anthony

On April 4, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I wonder why no one is reporting this;

Dr. Andrew Wakefield’s Co-Author on Controversial Lancet “MMR Paper” Exonerated of All Charges of Professional Misconduct

Prof. John Walker-Smith won his appeal today against the GMC, the UK’s medical regulatory board that had ruled against both him and Andrew Wakefield for their roles in the 1998 Lancet MMR paper, which raised questions about a link to autism. The complete victory means that Walker-Smith has been returned to the status of a fully licensed physician in the UK.

“It is quite obvious to me that James Murdoch, Brian Deer and GlaxoSmithKline orchestrated the smear attack on Dr. Andrew Wakefield,” said Ginger Taylor, executive director of the Canary Party. “A judge has now ruled that the GMC hearings were a farce. Parents are waiting for journalists to find their spine and start some honest reporting on the character assassination of doctors that is blocking medical treatments for vaccine injured children, and the role that GSK and Merck may be playing to protect their profits on the MMR vaccine. The Canary Party honors and stands by doctors of integrity like Prof. Walker-Smith, who continue to fight and defend their hard-won reputations for going the extra mile to investigate and improve the chronic, difficult-to-treat cases that now permeate our society.”

12. by Meidi

On April 5, 2012 at 11:14 am

Vaccines cause autism just like ice cream causes Polio! Believe it or not, many people REALLY, REALLY used to believe that ice cream caused polio. Polio infections peaked in the summer time and so did ice cream consumption; as more children ate ice cream, more of them contracted Polio. Therefore, ice cream causes Polio. Imagine hearing this story: “My child was perfectly healthy and happy until one day when he ate an ice cream cone, by the next day he was deathly ill with Polio. No one can tell me that the ice cream was not to blame, I KNOW that the ice cream gave him Polio and anyone who tells me otherwise is just brainwashed or a part of the conspiracy!” Sound familiar? There is a HUGE difference between correlation and causation, so even IF you can link vaccines to autism you cannot simply conclude that the vaccines caused the autism.

13. by alma

On April 9, 2012 at 10:13 am

I will chime in to support the parents who have seen a link between autism and MMR. My son was a fine, healthy 18 months old, received the MMR, developed a high fever and a series of seizures and was never the same. Thankfully, he has only aspergers and is functioning well in a private school at 10 years old. Maybe MMR does not “cause” autism, but for many of us, MMR marked the beginning of a very troubling diagnosis.

14. by Heather

On April 23, 2012 at 9:49 am

Mercury, Aluminum, aer completly safe in Vaccines but don’t eat too much tuna. Mercury has not been removed from all vaccines- read the labels it hasn’t.

15. by Eva

On April 23, 2012 at 10:11 am

This article is highly offensive and damaging in itself. We do not know what causes autism but vaccines COULD contribute. My friend’s son got the MMR vaccine and completely changed. He also contracted the Measles immediately after the vaccine. He went from normal to being diagnosed autistic. The study was not false. We cannot believe everything we hear. We have to do research ourselves and make informed decisions.

I disagree with not vaccinating completely. I have chosen to pick and choose which vaccines my own son gets. There is little risk of the polio vaccine and if contracted, the disease can be deadly. He definitely got the polio vaccine. However, a vaccine for an STD when my baby is just out of the womb? NO THANKS!

This article should have focused more on doing our own research and making decisions for our children based on what we feel is best. Shame on you “Parents” Magazine for publishing this blatant one-sided, deragatory article.

16. by Lucinda

On April 23, 2012 at 10:24 am

I don’t know if vaccines caused my son to be on the autism spectrum. But I do know that as a baby and toddler, he had NONE of the “symptoms” of autism. It is heart breaking to see your child change from being aware of and participating in his surroundings to become oblivious to the things going on in the real world. I am not anti vaccine, however, I do think that we can wait a little bit before giving them to our children. I know that they are important, but do we really need them at such a young age???

17. by Kate

On April 23, 2012 at 11:35 am

18. by Kate

On April 23, 2012 at 11:36 am

If you go to link above, it shows that Dr. Wakefield is not a fraud and has been exonerated. Do your homework Parenting Mag!

19. by Jessica

On April 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Ok so just to chime in. My son was healthy happy and “normal” but when he was two he got his next round of shots. Same thing as what others are saying. He had a horrible fever and just laid in bed for four days. My son is now 13 and has aspergers. He no longer has any social skills that he had when he was a toddler and he has brain seizures. He is a wonderful smart child. I don’t believe in cutting out the vaccines. but what my family did was space out each one so we can see if our daughter would have any reactions to them. I don’t believe any child should go into a doctors office and receive five shots. that is totally wrong. I had to fight my doctor for my decision and I will never regret it. My daughter is completely healthy. And my son has shown me that there is all different types of normal. SO wither you agree or not the decision is on the parents. So support them even if you don’t agree. Because I am sure you do things that people don’t agree with and you don’t want to be judged either.

20. by Sara

On April 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I think it’s important for the public to know the TRUTH. The government compensates families millions and millions of dollars each year for those that can prove in court that a vaccine had a extremely detrimental if not fatal outcome on a child. This is a FACT. Therefore it is misleading to call vaccines safe. Another fact nearly everyone doesn’t know is that vaccines as a whole only prevent diseases at about 80%. Therefore if you fully vaccinate your children, they are not immune from disease. They are only immune at about 80%. This is a truth that pediatricians should share with parents so that they are informed. Most parents and pediatricians can’t name a single ingredient in the more than 27 vaccines usually given (up to 21 before the age of six, and 6 more before the age of 18). It’s irresponsible for anyone to tout vaccines are safe when they don’t even know the ingredients.

21. by Jennifer

On April 23, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Autism is the least of my worries when it comes to vaccines. I refuse to inject my child with mercury, aluminum, formaldehyde, and other known toxins.

22. by Tiffany oneil

On April 23, 2012 at 4:39 pm

DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! he has been exonerated and the lancet had apologized. He wasn’t even trying to prove a link it just came as an outcome from his study even he wasn’t expecting. This piece is a poor excuse for journalism. Check your facts!

23. by Jordana Kirkman

On April 23, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Poor article. I find it curious that only the research that links autism to vaccines are accused of being fake. When the research that exonerates vaccines isn’t. It isn’t really very hard to make a connection from vaccines to any illness. Babies, 1 year and younger cannot produce antibodies, their immune systems aren’t developed enough which is why nature intended them to be breastfed and receive antibodies via breastmilk. Our natural immune response requires a 3 stage process, vaccines bypass the first 2 to the 3rd, thus launching an abnormal response and people cannot see how this could creating auto-inmmune problems. Research has already shown that the presence antibodies do not equal immunity and that in fact part 1 and 2 of our natural immune response is by far the most important part to establishing long term immunity. Vaccines are full of unnatural chemicals, deformed human and other animal cells, heavy metals and toxic substances that are never meant to be exposed to our bodies via injections!!!!! FDA doesn’t even do their job anymore by requiring long term research into the safety and effectiveness of vaccines and people are still ok with them?!!! Open your eyes and DO THE RESEARCH AND UNDERSTAND THAT VACCINES NO LONGER OUT WEIGH THE RISKS. THERE ARE BOTH RISKS AND BENEFITS. Educate yourself.

24. by Ingrid

On April 23, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Not sure how any of these kids could have been “showing signs” before receiving vaccines when, in the US, vaccines are administered AT BIRTH. Then at 2months, 4 months, 6 months, etc. Vaccines can damage the brain at ANY time… it’s not just the MMR shot that has suspicion around it. There was a study a couple years ago linking the HepB shot (given at birth) to developmental delays and disorders. Do your research folks. Andrew Wakefield wasn’t the only doctor researching the link between vaccines and neurological damage. And the vaccine court has awarded parents for damages to their children from vaccines. Vaccines are not made up of sugar water. Go look up the ingredients and ask yourself if you would dare ever FEED a newborn those ingredients, much less inject them directly into his/her system. And if you do dare inject them, you’d better have a really good reason to… Hep B, for instance is caught via sex and needle sharing. Is your newborn REALLY at risk of catching that? THINK before you inject these chemicals into your babies.

25. by Ingrid

On April 23, 2012 at 6:30 pm

And in response to the whole “correlation does not equal causation” argument… here’s the deal.

1) Vaccines contain KNOWN neurotoxins.
    2) Neurotoxins are defined as substances toxic to the brain and nervous system.
    3) You inject KNOWN neurotoxins into a baby.
    4) Shortly thereafter, baby develops a neurological disorder.

Sorry, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to at the VERY least SUSPECT vaccines to be the culprit. If it were known that ice-cream contained polio viruses (as the earlier poster eluded to) and we had kids eat that ice-cream, it would be very logical to link ice-cream to the children coming down with polio.

That’s the difference here. Here we KNOW vaccines contain ingredients that are KNOWN to harm the brain. Whether or not those substances ARE harming the brain in the ways we think they are – that is up to debate and needs more research done to determine. (And no – NOT enough studies have been done.)

26. by Kat

On April 23, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Vaccines are only about 50- 80% effective. Now, considering that and the countless side effects linked and/or potentially linked to vaccines, we stopped vaccinating our kids. We weighed out the worst case scenerios of the disease they prevent versus the vaccine with statistics and made our decision. With a breastfed infant who doesn’t attend daycare we looked at the odds and our infant was three to four times more likely to have a bad reaction (hospitalization) to the HIB vaccine than she was of being hospitalized due to a bad case of HIB. Those odds say enough. With Whooping Cough, we got the vaccine, but regret it. Turns out that 80% of all cases of whooping cough are individuals who are up-to-date on their vaccines. So the odds for us are against getting it since DTaP has one of the highest rates of serious reactions to it (Dr. Sears, The Vaccine Book). And, thinking the unvaccinated kids are the only ones that can spread it is not true.

It’s sad that this choice has alienated us from some of our friends, I feel like I’m one step away from being forced to wear a Jewish star on my shirt, or being forced to sit on the back of the bus. Charter and private schools can deny entry so we don’t even have a choice in some schools(public schools all have waivers luckily), and some doctors won’t accept you as a patient. AN INFORMED PARENT SHOULD HAVE SAY IN THE CARE THEIR CHILD RECEIVES. VACCINES INCLUDED.

My coworker’s son got sick after the 4 month vaccines. The doctors told her to wait 6 months and get the next set. He was hospitalized and it took a week to recover. He now has seizure disorder. AND despite them admitting it was an allergy to the vaccine ingredients, they told her she should go back and get the last set but space them out to figure out which one it was. Are you kidding me? Poor decisions and misinformation about vaccines by doctors just add to the decision to not vaccinate. My 9 month old got everyone in the house sick for a week after getting Rotavirus.

Now my daughter has allergies to eggs (and many other things) so even if it wasn’t a preference, we wouldn’t be allowed to do the MMR or flu anyway.

27. by Andrea

On April 23, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Autism had very little to do with my decisions concerning the vaccination of my children and I honestly hope nobody makes decisions about their children’s health based on this poorly researched article. Dr. Wakefield never even performed or claimed to perform a full blown study as reported over and over again in the media. Dr. Wakefield’s paper was SIMPLY a case study of 12 children. Hundreds of case reports are published each year in the medical journals….and are essentially ignored. He didn’t make any claims in his original paper that has gotten all the attention. It gained international attention because someone dared to point out that vaccines might actually have harmful side affects. This will not and can not be accepted by the medical community while there is overwhelming pressure from the pharmaceutical companies (who make millions every year from vaccines) to preach that vaccines are 100% safe. Any side effects will be attributed to some other cause and vaccinations will never even be considered.

28. by Kerri

On April 23, 2012 at 6:55 pm

The death of my child a mere week after her 4 month vaccines is what prompts me to NOT vaccinate. My family has suffered the traumatic loss of a baby due to vaccination. You’ll never convince me they are safe enough. One baby lost is one too many.

29. by DW

On April 23, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I was initially just opposed to the idea of a “COMBO” vaccine. How can you accurately judge what is causing a reaction if your kid is getting two or three shots at a time and one of them is a 3 or 4 in 1??? Like other parents have said after getting that MMR shot, my then 2yr old who had overcome the extremely negative odds given to micro preemies & was this healthy, thriving, talkative,interactive, inquisitive toddler, went & just sort of slowed down & stalled developmentally. As he did not have a fever or other reaction to the vaccine, I did not make the connection immediately. But, eventually I recalled my original hesitation about the MMR vaccine. I found it strange that it was shortly after he had that done he made that change. Not knowing about others who felt that way, imagine my surprise when I found that out. Perhaps if one was able to at least get the vaccinations separately, it might help quell the fears of there being a connection but that is not avail I am told. Why is that? You are either faced with the option of getting them done or not getting them done which are not very good options. Why is there not more just old fashioned thought put into the issue? Before this combo MMR vaccine was widely used, the number of autism cases was not as prevalent as it is nowadays. Seems to be a very disturbing “coincidence”. How many more children have to be affected by Autism for there to be more attention paid?
    Those who want to liken vaccines to ice cream in that it is a far fetched thought to think that there could be a connection between previously “normal” children and ones who display autistic symptoms after getting a shot need to really think before they comment. I don’t take a product that is by design supposed to infect you with a “weakened” form of a potentially deadly virus in order to create antibodies against said virus lightly. How many supposed “safe” medicines in the marketplace have caused untold serious complications & even death to some? The autism diagnosis is a troubling one, especially if your child was not displaying any of the “signs” from earlier on in life. I think that real consideration of the concerns of parents and children dealing with it needs to be done and accommodations made.

30. by Tania

On April 23, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Many try to disprove studies on links between autism and vaccines and call any link a “fraud.” All I know is what I’ve seen. I have friends who’s sons were fine, talking, and meeting milestones up until they got vaccinated. Coincidence or not, I can’t see anything good that can come of injecting a young child with mercury, embalming fluid, and all the other crap that are in vaccines. I did choose to vaccinate my children before I was aware what is in them, but I also did choose to get the shots spaced out, which I believe helped their little bodies cope better. It’s just sickening what pharmaceutical companies will say to cover up what they are doing.

31. by q

On April 24, 2012 at 9:02 am

I took a class to certify as an aba (adaptive behavior analyst) to work with children with autism. There were many parents of autistic children in the class to learn how to continue the therapy at home. The stories of these children getting vaccinations and then getting fevers and changing overnight was alarming. Not one, but all of the parents had the same story. I find it hard to believe that people from different cities, cultures, and living situations would just make up the same story. There is obviously something going on for people to believe this. Not only is there mercury and other metals inside the vaccine, there are also dead cells from the diseases they are trying to prevent. How can that be healthy? After taking that class, I chose to hold off on my daughters’ vaccines. She is happy and healthy and doing just fine. I also figured that I made it through my childhood without getting sick, so she would be just fine. 30 years ago kids didn’t go through this many vaccines and autism wasn’t as prevalent. Something has changed and we need to figure it out. We automatically assume that just because the doctor has gone to school that they must know what they are talking about.

32. by GShereif

On April 24, 2012 at 11:00 am

Yes, I fear ALL vaccines. I fear anything with monkey and dog brains, horse blood, aborted fetal tissue, chick embryos, heavy metals and who knows what else! Read if you are a parent what you are injecting into your child whether it’s linked to autism or not. Why are we blindly trusting our governments is beyond my understanding. I used to vaccinate my kids, no more after months of research and prayer. It is against my religion, my beliefs and our health. They are all crooks wanting to make $$$ off of our sickness!
    Be informed!

33. by Christy

On April 24, 2012 at 2:20 pm

We didn’t vaccinate our son and I’m glad we didn’t! He is totally happy healthy and smart! I read the vaccine book by dr sears. Very informative. If you read the ingredients list on each of the vaccines it’s disgusting! Cow, monkey and aborted fetal tissue and other harmful chemicals! Just because a person with “dr” before their name doesn’t make him the ultimate authority. It’s your child, do your research!! Just like you SHOULD read the ingredients list on any processed food, do the same to something you’re injecting into your babies! We had a close friends little sister have the same thing happen after getting a shot. They fortunately got it all on home video. Day before she was fine, day after a total zombie. Never the same. Sad. Besides, when was the last time you saw someone get measles, mumps and rubella AT THE SAME TIME! So why would you give it to them in the firm of an injection?? Shame in the article for not doing balance reporting and research!!

34. by Robyn

On April 29, 2012 at 3:38 pm

This article really makes me mad. It reminds me of when the cat in American Tail says, “who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?”
    That’s all I am going to say. I could go on forever but I won’t.
    Ellen Seidman, please do all your research before posting articles. You owe that to all parents of special needs children.

35. by Erin Rovak Henderschedt

On April 30, 2012 at 9:13 pm

When you have a child with Autism, you look for a cause. No one can give you one, so you decide to be cautious.

I am an educated, well informed, parenting expert and mom to a child on the spectrum. I also have 3 other children.

We fully vaccinate our kids but we do it more slowly. Two vaccines at a time, maximum.

When no one can tell you why your child developed Autism, shortly after turning one, losing all language for 3 years, you will do anything to keep all of your kids healthy. For us, this means being cautious with vaccines, which, to some kids, might cause toxins to build up in their bodies b/c their particular bodies cannot metabolize the toxins as well as other kids.

Yes, it’s just a theory, but until someone can tell me what causes autism, I will be cautious and encourage others to do the same.

36. by patricia

On May 2, 2012 at 10:17 am

i spoke to my pediatrician and he said that they think that MMR is one of the shots that can cause autism, that’s why my husband and i decided not to vaccinate our children

37. by Why My Parents Had Me Vaccinated « over 50 under 5

On September 6, 2012 at 9:56 pm

[...] There are people who don’t get their kids vaccinated because they’re afraid of side effects, or believe the vaccinations contain poisonous mercury, or believe that vaccinations can induce autism. If you check the first few results on Google you will see an array of truths, half-truths and Jenny McCarthy. The famous actress famously made the case for not vaccinating children, basing her opinion partly on research which has been shown to be faked. [...]

38. by smiley edna

On October 9, 2012 at 7:28 am

I vaccinated my 4 children on schedule, the youngest is 12 years younger than the next olders, I noticed that the amount of shots given per round of vaccinations was significantly higher. At 18 months we took our little one in for his next round of mega vaccines and he immediately changed forever.

I believe in immunity and protecting the community but something is wrong here. From that point onward I would never let a doctor administer multiple vaccines. We space them out to appropriate levels of poisons and diseases being introduced into his little body.

39. by barbaraj

On December 24, 2012 at 9:24 am

STOP, that’s all I can say, with one in eighty eight born in 2000, and the recent less scientific head count of one in 20, a neurotypical child will soon be extinct. The horrible tragedy in Newtown is an example, twenty beautiful children, among them two with autism. This is the reality. Wakefield didn’t lie, he only suggested finding measle virus in the children deserved more study, his findings of gastro disease held as accurate, it was his comment that took him down. Why was there persistent measles, likely not caused by the measle virus without having first mercury that disrupted the natural order of things, it isn’t a one shot causes autism issue, it isn’t always going to be measles , it’s going to be a whole array of biological pathogens that take up residence in a system thrown out of balance by foreign dna from human and animal sources, from poisonous toxic chemicals and metals in the vaccines. The CDC on it’s own page said there “isn’t enough evidence to conclude”, then they added a few “fraudulent” studies to tip the scale at which time they could truthfully state the “evidence” for safety outweighs the evidence for harm. They clearly can play with numbers! This time their well paid scientist is under US government indictment, YES, the one that is quoted by every pediatrician as proving thimerosal as safe. Paul Thorson! He stole our cdc funds, and no one is sure until he’s extradicted , however the facts point toward his deliberate and callous fudging of statistics to mold the study into what he was asked to do. …which was “prove thimerosal is safe”.

40. by stephen meredith

On January 9, 2013 at 12:43 am

Hello, I am for anything that helps the babies stay health. Perhaps you are lucky and your baby did not react to vaccines . But if your baby dies or has a life changing event you to will wake up. Years ago I was trained as a natural doctor and have a chiropractic background. I believe good food and mothers natural immunity can prevent many problems. But safe vaccines are also good if truly effective and safe . But I have also seen the abuse of drugs and vaccines and scare techniques to persuade people they need this or that nothing more than manipulation and lies. Unless you are reading both sides of the argument then you are biased. I have read both sides. Also the ones hurt are not the drug companies or hospitals or doctors but the people and babies. Money drives these people and by admitting they are wrong or giving fake evidence would cause them to yearly loose billions. Anybody who thinks they are interested in your well being has already been deceived. These groups will cover up all their mistakes and lies and the cost will be on you. But because of false and deceptive people in power this will continue. Use caution and read everything before vaccinating your babies. Even if the vaccines are proven to kill or cause harm they will never admit it.

41. by Bob

On April 3, 2013 at 1:51 pm

So…what “harm” has been documented from NOT giving children vaccines? I know…at least a DOZEN kids (and, honestly, probably many, many more) who have not had a vaccine in their life, and it is “my” observation that they are smarter, bigger, faster, stronger, and generally healthier than the children I see in my practice every day.