Recipe: Cheesy Ham, Potato & Green Bean Casserole
I recently bought some fresh green beans from a local produce farm and it made me hungry for this Cheesy Ham, Potato & Green Bean Casserole. So I made it for dinner the other night and we all enjoyed it- even the children! My 5 yr. old kept telling me how good it was and asked for multiple servings, which is always a nice compliment!
This dish can be a bit more time consuming to put together than some, but you if you work smart it’s not that bad. I like to cook the green beans and potatoes together in the same kettle to save me dishes. Or sometimes I’ll have baked potatoes earlier in the week and intentionally make extra to use in this dish. You can also save yourself a dish if you melt the butter for the topping in the same pan that you mixed the cheese sauce in. If you are like me, the less you have to clean up and wash the better!
While I think this casserole is delicious just as it is, don’t be scared to tweak it to fit your taste! Add in some basil or onion or up the black pepper for a bit more kick. It’s a great dish to play around with!
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ c. + 2 Tbsp. flour
- ½ tsp. pepper
- salt to taste (about 1 tsp.)
- 3 c. milk
- 1½ c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 c. potatoes, cooked and diced
- 6 c. green beans, cooked
- 2 c. cooked ham, diced
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ c. seasoned bread crumbs
- Melt butter and stir in ¼ c. flour. Add salt and pepper
- Add milk, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat, add cheese and stir until melted.
- Put potatoes in greased 9×13 baking dish, top with green beans and then ham.
- Pour cheese sauce over all.
- Combine bread crumbs and butter; Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Christine’s Kitchen Chronicles.Add a Comment