Recipe: Crustless Zucchini Quiche (an inexpensive, meatless dish)

It’s zucchini season and we’ve enjoyed the few zucchini’s that we got from our poor plant before it died.  Thankfully a good friend has been generously giving us some of her zucchini bounty so even though our plant bit the dust, we still have some zucchini.

One of our favorite zucchini dishes is this quiche.  It’s a cinch to throw together and so yummy!  And if you have any leftovers, they’ll reheat well too!

Zucchini Quiche
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. Bisquick baking mix (use my homemade version)
4 eggs
1/2 c. oil or melted butter
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. basil
3 to 3 1/2 c. zucchini, grated
1/4 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded (opt.)
Mix all ingredients except zucchini (and mozzarella if using) in a bowl. Stir in zucchini and pour into a buttered 9″ pie plate.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 min. or until lightly browned.  If using mozzarella, sprinkle a handful on top the last couple of minutes.

Back To The Thrifty Frugal Mom
  1. by sarah

On August 7, 2012 at 1:33 pm

This dish is a favorite of ours too. I don’t have zuccinni plants in my garden but we have been blessed with friends who share!

2. by Lydia Beiler

On August 8, 2012 at 10:41 am

Friends that share are awesome, aren’t they? :) I love that our 4 yr. old will eat this with no complaints even though it has green things in it. That says a lot.

3. by Joanna

On August 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm

This looks incredibly good. I have a feeling it wouldn’t be a real big hit at our house though. I’ll have to try it as a side dish sometime. Maybe tonight would be good to go with the salad and pork chops I’m already planning to have.

4. by Lydia Beiler

On August 10, 2012 at 7:21 am

Joanna, I’d love to know what you all thought of it if you tried it. I think it hides the zucchini really well but maybe you all still weren’t crazy about it?

5. by Monica

On August 11, 2012 at 10:53 am

Made it and ate it, and thought it was delicious. I had an extra tomato so I put the slices on top under the cheese for the last five minutes of cooking. You would never know there was zucchini in this. It was fast and easy, which is what this stage of life demands. Also, it’s still called sharing if someone leaves zucchini in your unlocked car during prayer meeting, right? Because sometimes that happens to me. :)

6. by Lydia Beiler

On August 11, 2012 at 2:42 pm

So glad you all enjoyed it! Thanks for letting me know. :) And the while we aren’t huge tomato fans, I can see how that would be a great addition. I think I’d prefer them chopped and tossed in with the quiche part. What fun finding zucchini hiding in your car! Not a bad surprise at all in my opinion.

7. by Lindsey

On December 21, 2012 at 12:59 pm

This was so yummy! My husband doesn’t like zucchini but i always try to sneak it into meals for him. He loved this one! It was so yummy! I did add a little garlic powder and a mixture of cheeses. I also added Asiago cheese instead of Parmesean. I also added some chopped red bell pepper. We will be making this on Christmas morning! Thanks for the recipe!

8. by Lydia Beiler

On December 27, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Lindsey, thanks so much for the feedback! I always love to know what others think of the recipes I post and I love to hear new variations. I can imagine that Asiago cheese would be really good in here and peppers too if you like them (I’m not a huge fan). And I’m glad you were able to get your husband to actually like a zucchini dish. :)

9. [...] Zucchini Quiche; fresh locally grown sweet corn; homemade applesauce; locally grown cantaloupe [...]

10. [...] figured she’d be generous.  So I thanked her and we enjoyed some this week when I made my Crustless Zucchini Quiche.  I want to make some kind of dessert with the rest of [...]

11. by Zucchini Recipes | The Thrifty Frugal Mom