12 Money Saving Things I Don’t Do

I realize that as a frugal blogger who posts about things like our $200/mo. grocery budget, how we save money on meat, and the way I stocked up on name brand diapers for less than $5/pack it could start to seem like I must never do things that aren’t frugal.  And while I admit I could be called a frugal geek there are some things that are definitely frugal that I don’t do.  Just for fun, here are 12 money saving things I don’t do:

1. Take Short Showers
Not only do I like to take long showers I like my shower to be hot. Not warm, but HOT.  In fact, it’s my favorite way to wind down at the end of a long day.

2.  Use the Cheapest Brand of Mayo
Even though I know that not being a brand snob is an easy way to save money, I just can’t give up Kraft mayo.  My husband thinks I’m silly and I’ll actually buy cheaper brands and use them for him but personally I do not care for the taste of other mayonnaise.  In my defense, I do try to watch for deals on the Kraft brand so I don’t have to pay full price.

3.  Use Cloth Napkins
Even some of my “non-frugal” friends do this one, but for some reason it just annoys me to think of having to wash napkinsSo I just purchase the cheapest ones I can find and enjoy the little splurge.

4.  Shop  For My Clothing Second Hand
I buy almost all of the our children’s clothing second hand and we even buy some of my husband’s stuff used as well.  But I rarely buy any of my clothing used.  It’s not that I have an issue wearing new-to-me clothing but I hate digging through clothing racks at consignment stores.  To me it is just overwhelming and honestly, the times that I have done it I have rarely found a thing.  So I stick to shopping sales at other stores and try to combine coupons with those sale when possible.

5.  Use Only Cold Water for Laundry
I do this for some of my laundry but for some things I just like the idea of using hot water.

6.  Use Disposable Nursing Pads
I should probably give these a try but honestly they sound annoying to me.  It just seems like they’d always feel wet and gross and that just does not appeal at all!

7.  Avoid Using Paper Plates and Cups
Funny thing is, I even have a dishwasher.  But sometimes if we are having a bunch of people over it is still just easier to use disposable stuff.

8.  Do My Own Dry Cleaning
We don’t often have things that need to be dry cleaned but when we do I take them to a cleaner.  Those do-it-at-home dry cleaning kits scare me.  Somehow I’m sure that I’d ruin whatever I was using it on.

9.  Shred My Own Cheese
Often I can get blocks of cheese cheaper than shredded cheese so it would make sense for me to shred my own to save money, right?  Well, guess what?  Shredding cheese is one of those things that I absolutely hate doing.  If I had a food processor or something that easily did it for me I would consider it.  But using my little hand shredder is too much of a pain in my opinion and so that is one area I just am willing to spend a little more on for the convenience.

10.  Walk When I Can
I live within walking distance of Rite Aid, Giant and our local farmer’s market.  I do walk sometimes but more often than not the idea of walking with two children is enough to make me drive instead!

11.  Avoid Using Paper Towels
I do typically use rags instead of paper towels but I do still use the occasional paper towel.  Some jobs I just don’t like to use rags for.

12.  Cloth Diaper
To be honest, I really wonder if it is less expensive to cloth diaper when I can find disposables as cheap as I do.  We also have to buy our water and I would rarely be able to line dry my diapers which would also add to the expense.  But even so, say that it really is cheaper, I just cannot quite bring myself to use cloth diapers.  Wet diapers I think I could handle but poopy ones?  Uh, well, that is a whole other story!

So, did anything on my list surprise you?  What money-saving confessions do you have?

Back To The Thrifty Frugal Mom
  1. by Coupon Cutting Mom

On June 6, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I loved reading this article!
    I really wonder about the cloth diaper thing too. I never tried and don’t have plans of ever trying it.
    Also I love hot showers and washing clothing in other than cold water that sounds like me too. Acutally I could relate to all of them except #2. I’m sure I have something that I’m a brand snob but not sure what. If I’m buying tea it has to be Turkey Hill not Swiss or any other brand.
    Thanks for writing such an interesting article.

2. by Sarah

On June 7, 2012 at 5:12 am

I can relate on all 12 except #2 and #4. I can often find clothes for myself at yard sales or thrift stores, but I’m pretty picky with it so it takes some digging around! Also we have a Keurig coffee maker and use k-cups and that’s not so frugal.

3. by Dawn

On June 7, 2012 at 6:39 am

I’m on the same page as you with most of these :-) I’ve had the same experience at thrift stores when it comes to clothes shopping. My husband usually has good luck finding himself “new” clothes. Me? Not so much. Therefore, I don’t do secondhand clothes shopping either. Kraft mayo is the best! Sometimes I just gotta have a steaming hot shower and wash some laundry in hot water, too. Cloth diapers – no way! However, disposable nursing pads – absolutely! I change them frequently to stay nice and dry :-) Paper towels/paper napkins – yep!

4. by Michelle

On June 7, 2012 at 6:55 am

Lydia, I love this post!! It was so interesting!

I feel the same way about cloth diapers. I am not all tempted to use them. Glad somebody else feels that way too!

I was never tempted to try reusable nursing pads either. I will stick to disposables!

I am also a heavy paper towel user. There are just some messes that I prefer to clean up with a paper towel. Like milk. I cannot stand to clean up milk with my dishcloth. It makes it so stinky.

I also use alot of paper plates. Especially Saturday and Sunday evenings when I want to relax! :)

5. by Jen

On June 7, 2012 at 7:14 am

Just comment on disposable nursing pads. Lansinoh’s are the only ones you don’t feel wet with, AT ALL. They were fantastic when I was breastfeeding my son.

6. by Sarah

On June 7, 2012 at 8:23 am

Hi. I wanted to weigh in on the cloth diaper thing: it’s very easy, and I feel like we’ve saved a TON of money. The initial cost was $300, and since then it’s just the laundry soap, which you can make yourself, and water. I figured that with a kid, I’d be doing laundry everyday anyway, why not throw some diapers in? And if you’ve ever potty trained a small child, you’re probably familiar with rinsing undies out; diapers are no different (well, perhaps more frequent…). We’ve never been exactly good with money, but we’re getting better. Cloth diapers were a godsend.

7. by Lydia Beiler

On June 7, 2012 at 10:13 am

Coupon Cutting Mom- glad you enjoyed it!

Sarah- apparently your digging pays off because I think you’re clothes always look great! And the Keurig. Yes, I’ve been tempted to get one but so far haven’t caved.

Dawn- sounds like we are similar. Yay for Kraft mayo!!

Michelle- :) Your milk/dishrag comment made me smile. I know what you mean.

Jen- thanks for your feedback. I know most people love Lansinoh but they made me sweat. I usually get the Johnson & Johnson ones since they don’t have a plastic backing.

Sarah- Congrats on working at becoming more money conscious. Glad the cloth diaper thing worked for you and helped you cut costs. Yes, I probably do spend more than $300 on diapers for one child. And I have dealt with potty training and all that mess. But somehow the thought of doing that several times a day for a couple of years just makes me cringe. Maybe one day I’ll cave! :)

8. by Min

On June 8, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Lydia, I apologize if you do this as I just stumbled upon this post and have not read your other posts, but I could never buy used undies! I grossed me out to high heaven to think people do this and when I see someone selling their kids’ “gently used underwear ” on eBay, I immediately flag, as it is against their policy to sell used undies. I don’t care how sparkling clean they are, if they were cleaned on the “sanatize cycle”, whatever! It just is gross. I won’t even let my kids share underwear. If you scour eBay like I do, you can get namebrand undies for only $1 a pair. And if you sign up for eBay Bucks, if you earn enough, they could be free!

9. by Lydia Beiler

On June 9, 2012 at 9:08 am

Min, this just made me laugh and nod. I’m with you. Any kind of used underwear (shoes too!) just gross me out. I never heard of eBay Bucks…going to have to check it out.

10. by Consigning Chrissy

On June 12, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I would LOOVVVEEE to spend more time / energy doing the thrift store / second hand thing for myself too, but I’m so with you on the time & digging factor. One day… one day!!

11. by amber

On April 25, 2013 at 3:35 am

Check the ingredients on that shredded cheese bag, esp compared to regular block of cheese. Hot, long showers are awesome. However I do enjoy thriftstores for cheap childrens clothes, it saves so much money! Also rags are great for cleaning most everything, it really saves money and trees. And mayo is disgusting.

12. by Lydia Beiler

On April 26, 2013 at 8:31 am

Amber- I always thought the only thing added to shredded cheese was non-clumping agents which I am fine with. Is there something I don’t know about? Glad you enjoy thrifting. I keep wishing I would! I do some yard sales though and usually make out pretty good there. Yup, love me my rags and hot showers. :) And mayo is disgusting? Oh my! Don’t ruin my day! :) Thanks for the interesting comment!

13. [...] at $1.60.  If you think I’m always frugal, think again.  Using paper plates is one of the 12 Money Saving Things I Don’t Do.  And the thing I was most excited about?  The Cracker Barrel cheese at just $1.00 each (or [...]

14. [...] know there are cloth diapers and that they are supposed to be cheaper, but if you are like me and just can’t bring yourself to switch to cloth diapers, take heart.  Without too much hassle, you can save money on disposable diapers and wipes and [...]