Tasty Tuesday: Homemade “Bisquick” Mix

I’m always looking for ways to eat healthier and save at the same time. So when I came across this recipe for Homemade Bisquick Mix I was pretty excited. Not only is it cheaper than buying Bisquick it also doesn’t have bunch of strange, unhealthy ingredients either. And you couldn’t ask for an easier thing to make! It literally just takes minutes.

On top of all that, we actually like the things I make with this better than when I made them with Bisquick mix!  Now I haven’t tried it to make pancakes or biscuits so I can’t speak for that, but for other dishes that take Bisquick it’s been amazing.  I plan to share some of those recipes over the next several weeks.

Homemade Bisquick
5 c. flour (you could use part whole wheat flour- I’ve only tried it subbed with 1 c. whole wheat but it worked fine)
1/4 c. baking powder
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 c. shortening (I use butter)

Mix dry ingredients together then cut in shortening until crumbly.  (I like to use a pastry blender to do this.  Here’s the one I have.)  Store in refrigerator** and use as you would Bisquick.

Yields: A little over 6 cups

** If you don’t use butter or margarine for this recipe, but instead use vegetable shortening, you could store at room temperature.

Healthy Breakfast: 3 Quick Meals for Kids
Healthy Breakfast: 3 Quick Meals for Kids
Healthy Breakfast: 3 Quick Meals for Kids

Back To The Thrifty Frugal Mom
  1. by Corrina stone

On February 20, 2012 at 11:23 am

How long does if keep in or out of refrigerator ?

2. by Lydia Beiler

On February 20, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Corrina, I wouldn’t recommend storing it out of the fridge more than a couple of days if you use butter because it might get rancid. However if you use shortening (like Crisco) you should be able to store it at room temperature indefinitely. I use butter to make mine and have stored in the fridge for well over a month- probably close to 2 mo. actually- and it was absolutely fine.

3. by Stacy

On March 12, 2012 at 1:13 am

Can you use coconut oil instead of shortening/butter?

4. by Lydia Beiler

On March 12, 2012 at 8:49 am

Stacy, I would guess you could but I really don’t know much about coconut oil. From my understanding you can often replace butter with it though. Might change the taste a little. If you try it, stop by and let me know how it works!

5. by Tina

On April 6, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I love this!! Thanks for sharing. Our daughter is on a special diet which requires no processed ingredients like partially hydrogenated vegetable oils. Please share on your healthy recipes section too so moms like me can find your great recipes. Again, thanks ever so much!

6. by Lydia Beiler

On April 7, 2012 at 8:01 am

Tina, you are welcome. :) I love making my own stuff- it’s fun, so much healthier and usually less expensive too! Thanks for the comment.

7. by Rosie

On April 17, 2012 at 10:07 pm

thank you so much!! I can’t wait to try it :)

8. by Lydia Beiler

On April 18, 2012 at 8:25 am

No problem! I’d love to know what you think of it after you try it if you feel like taking the time to come back.

9. by Andrea

On April 6, 2013 at 9:53 am

Hi Lydia!

It’s Andrea from Pennies & Pancakes.

I tried out your homemade bisquick recipe, and LOVED it. I posted about my experience with it on my site, and made sure to reference you. Thanks for sharing!

10. by Lydia Beiler

On April 6, 2013 at 10:31 am

Oh Andrea, I read your post and I’m blushing. You’re too kind. :) Glad you liked it! And for anyone else reading this, head over and check out Andrea’s blog. She has some amazing recipes, all of which are really cost effective too!

11. by Sherilyn

On April 10, 2013 at 4:44 pm

My husband is gluten intolerant so I have had to find alternatives to regular recipes or tweak them to make them GF. I have successfully made homemade baking mix using a GF flour mix I buy. (www.meistersgf.com) The only alteration I made to the recipe was to add 1 1/2 times the amount of baking powder. (As per Meister’s suggestion for regular use of this flour mixture.) I hope this helps someone on a GF diet.

12. by Lydia Beiler

On April 11, 2013 at 7:36 am

Sherilyn- Good to know! Thank you for adding that comment. I’m sure that other that are on a gluten free diet will greatly appreciate it!

13. by Lydia Beiler

On April 11, 2013 at 8:00 am

Stacy- my sister-in-law just let me know that her sister-in-law (are you getting confused yet?!) tried this with coconut oil and didn’t care for it. She said the coconut oil taste was too prominent. Now obviously coconut oil varies on taste but just thought I’d let you know.

14. [...] dry pancake mix or freeze pancake batter.  Try this recipe (sub freshly milled soft white winter wheat and coconut [...]

15. [...] you might be surprised how easy it is to make things like cream soup, Bisquick, Salad Dressing, Shake and Bake and pie crusts from scratch.  It’s probably not as hard or [...]

16. [...] a great dish to serve too! Crustless Bacon and Egg Quiche 1 1/2 c. milk 1/2 c. Bisquick mix (I use my homemade version) 4 eggs 2 Tbsp. butter, melted dash pepper 1 c. shredded cheese cooked bacon, crumbled (about 5 [...]