Weekly Spending Summary (2/5-2/11)
Ever wonder why I do these Weekly Spending Summary posts? Well, my hope is that by seeing what I save by using coupons and watching sales you’ll be inspired that you can do this too. After all, I’m just your average mom with two little children and an average household income. Really not that different from you!
The thing that I worry about with these posts is that you will say, “Hey, there is no way that I can save as much as her. I don’t have time to go to that many stores. I don’t get the Sunday paper so I don’t have as many coupons. I don’t buy the same things she does….etc.” What I want you to remember is that ANY money you save will add up and will help you get ahead financially. So even if you are saving $2 a week with coupons you are still at least saving that! Don’t get discouraged by the fact that you can’t save $20 a week with coupons but instead focus on the $2 you did save. And keep looking for ways to increase that if possible.
Okay, enough of that! Here’s what I bought this week.
Total Spent: $41.82
Total Saved with Coupons: $35.27
Total Saved with Sales: $27.80
Total Saved: $63.07
Saved with Coupons: $5.00
Saved with Sales: $1.60
I suddenly realized Saturday morning that I was nearly out of my nursing pads. So I made a quick trip downtown to get some, otherwise I wouldn’t have even gone to CVS at all this week. Oh and I forgot to take a picture of my purchase so no picture for CVS this week!
* Johnson & Johnson Nursing Pads $7.99
* 20% off entire purchase coupon received via email ($1.60)
* $1 Johnson & Johnson coupon received from manufacturer
* $4 Extra Bucks coupon (CVS coupons that print at register)
Rite Aid: $4.57
Saved with Coupons: $15.00
Saved with Sales: $12.16
* 4 Blue Diamond Almonds $1.80 (They were on sale Buy One, Get One Free)
* 2 Stayfree Pads $3.00 each
* 2 GE Lightbulbs $2.99 each
* Two $1 Blue Diamond coupons from the Sunday newspaper inserts
* Two $1 Stayfree coupons from the Sunday newspaper inserts
* $11 in UPReward coupons (Rite Aid coupons that print at register)
* Two $2 UPReward coupon for buying the Stayfree pads (can use on next purchase of any item)
* Two $2 UPReward coupon for buying the GE Lightbulbs (can use on next purchase of any item)
Saved with Coupons: $15.27
Saved with Sales: $14.04
I only plan on keeping a couple of boxes of the Ocean Spray gummies. I also do shopping for a local food bank and plan on giving them the rest.
You’ll see that I bought some turkey meat. One of the ways that I save a lot on meat purchases is by watching for meat that is marked down. Both of these packages had coupons on them for quick sale. I plan to put them in freezer bags and freeze them to use later. I’ve actually never used turkey meat like this but was inspired to try something new. And I know we like turkey, so why not buy turkey pieces as well? After all, remember my thoughts about not being brand loyal? A little different application, but the same principle.
* 1.68 lb. Turkey Drumsticks @ $1.99 lb.
* 1.32 lb. Turkey Breast @ $1.49 lb.
* 3 Maggi Soup Mix $0.79 each
* 8 Ocean Spray Fruit Snacks $0.99 each when you buy 4
* 4 Yoplait Lactose Free Yogurt $0.60 each
* $1.00 coupon found on Turkey Drumstick package
* $0.50 coupon found on Turkey Breast package
* Three $0.50 Maggi Soup printable coupon (doubled to $0.79 each making them FREE)
* Eight $0.50 Ocean Spray Printable coupons (doubled to $0.50 each making them FREE)
* Four $0.30 Yoplait printable coupons (doubled to $0.60 making them FREE)
* Coffee Filters $0.99
* Canola Oil $2.69
* Napkins $1.49
* Brown Sugar $1.49
* Powdered Sugar $1.49
* 2 Black Beans $0.55 each
* 2 lb. Red Grapes $1.98
* 3lb. Navel Oranges $1.49
This was for whole wheat flour and 5lb. mozzarella cheese. We grind wheat at my in-laws and I use it for homemade bread, homemade grape nuts and more. The cheese my mother-in-law got for me at a local bulk food store. It was only $1.98/lb.- the cheapest price for cheese I’ve seen in months!