Homemade Bathroom Cleaner

Anyone else get tired of feeling like you are going to pass out from fumes when you use commercial bathroom cleaners?  I hate that!  After our son was born I started getting serious about finding ways that I could avoid chemicals in our cleaning products.  I found a homemade cleaner recipe that was basically water and vinegar and it worked okay but was nothing great.  So when I came across a recipe for homemade bathroom cleaner that people were raving over, I was pretty excited.  I made it last week, used it immediately and well, let’s just say that there was a reason that people were raving!

Not only is this homemade cleaner inexpensive and easy to make, it did an amazing job of getting things clean.  What impressed me the most is that the buildup that I could never get off of the caulking in our bathtub/shower wiped clean without any real effort when I used this homemade cleaner.  It officially has me sold!

Caulking before using cleaner- this is all the cleaner I could ever get it.

Same spot- squeaky clean after using cleaner

Here’s the recipe so that you can make your own and enjoy the amazing results yourself!

Homemade Bathroom Cleaner

12 ounces white vinegar
12 ounces Dawn dish soap (I used the blue)

Directions:

1. Heat vinegar until hot and pour into spray bottle.

2. Add the Dawn dish soap. Put the lid on and gently shake to incorporate.

3. Use and be amazed at how well your bathroom gets cleaned!  For tough soap scum build-up, spray the mixture on and allow it to sit as long as overnight. Then, scrub and rinse.

Update: I’ve learned that with this cleaner, unless your surface has bad scum build-up, you only need to lightly spray your surface.  Then usually wiping twice with a damp cloth will wipe it clean.  Because of the soap, if you get spray happy you will have a sudsy mess to try to wipe up and while your surface should be good and clean, you might get frustrated at the effort it takes to wipe it all up!

Update #2: A friend told me that she decreases the amount of the Dawn dish soap to about 8 oz. and this takes care of the suds problem while still being a very effective cleaner.  I tried it with my last batch and liked the results!  (1/1/14)

Thanks Coupon Cutting Mom for the recipe!

Babyproofing Your Home: Bathroom
Babyproofing Your Home: Bathroom
Babyproofing Your Home: Bathroom

Back To The Thrifty Frugal Mom
  1. by Coupon Cutting Mom

On February 7, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Wow like that you included that picture. Imagine 2 simple ingredients is such a powerful cleaner and no harsh chemicals or smells. This is by far my most favorite cleaner. The way everything shines when I’m done impresses me.

2. by Lydia Beiler

On February 7, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Yes, as I said, I’m sold. Love the stuff and it couldn’t be easier to make!

3. by Joanna

On February 7, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I will definitely have to try this. It looks amazing!

4. by lovelyNYC

On February 7, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Do you have to use Dawn or can it be another dish liquid? Wondering about using Seventh Generation or Meyers.

5. by Lydia Beiler

On February 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Joanna, I’d love to know what you think once you’ve tried it!
    LovelyNYC, I’m not entirely sure. My guess is that you could use another dish liquid. I mean it would at least clean it, right? Now whether it would have the same cleaning power as Dawn I can’t say for sure. I know when I used Seventh Generation dish soap I didn’t think it had as much suds and cut the grease like Dawn did. But I have no experience with Meyers. Try it and let us know what you think!

6. by Melissa

On February 8, 2012 at 6:14 am

Can you save it or does it have to be used right away?

7. by Lydia Beiler

On February 8, 2012 at 8:45 am

Melissa, you can definitely save it as long as you have it in a sealed container where it won’t evaporate.

8. by Vanessa

On August 13, 2012 at 7:21 am

Hi – do you have to heat the vinegar? Just wondering why…

Thanks!

9. by Lydia Beiler

On August 13, 2012 at 8:18 am

Vanessa, not entirely sure about that. The recipe came to me through a friend and it said to heat it. I’m thinking maybe it helps the soap mix in better? Obviously you can use the cleaner when it’s cool so I don’t think it has anything to do with helping it clean better. If you try it without heating it, I’d love to know if it mixed up okay.

10. by Doris

On August 28, 2012 at 10:42 am

I have been surfing this last few weeks looking for homemade cleaners, laundry products and come across this receipe as I was cleaning the bathroom today and I started with a purchased chemical cleaner and after I wes totally chocked by the fumes I decided to take a break and do some surfing and found this receipe and decided to try it today..HOLY MOLY what a difference, it may take a couple of cleanings to get everything the way it should be but it does work..I was a little concerned with having a acrylic tub but what the heck it couldn’t be any worse than what it was so I went with it and I was totally amazed.. I only had a small bottle of Dawn as I was going to use it for another project receipe but I will now buy the big BOTTLES..THANK YOU for passing this receipe along..

11. by Lydia Beiler

On August 28, 2012 at 11:04 am

Doris, glad you liked it. And I’m with you on enjoying cleaning without the horrible fumes!

12. by Karin Renz

On September 11, 2012 at 8:33 pm

this recipe for cleaning the shower is AMAZING!!!! I will NEVER use anything else!!!!

13. by Lydia Beiler

On September 15, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Karen, glad to know that you like it! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and let me know…makes my posting feel worthwhile. :)

14. by Julie Rowe

On November 5, 2012 at 9:04 am

I also add some baking soda to the bottom of the tub and spray the cleaner over that. It is VERY effective and cheap!!!

15. by Lydia Beiler

On November 5, 2012 at 9:25 am

Julie- thanks for letting me know! That sounds like a great addition. I can imagine that the baking soda would act as an abrasive agent and help remove more of the scum. Our new tub has gripper bumps all over the bottom and I hate it. It makes it terribly hard to get clean unless I use a brush of some sort. The baking soda just might be the ticket! :)

16. by Jennifer

On March 18, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I’m wondering if I did something wrong. I mixed and sprayed my bathroom counter and it has a soapy film over it. I had to go back over it with wet washcloth and then wipe with dry one? I added 12 ounces of vinegar and 9oz of soap dawn

17. by Lydia Beiler

On March 20, 2013 at 6:29 am

Jennifer- I wonder if you sprayed too much of it on your counter. I’ve learned that with this cleaner, a little goes a long way. I don’t need to spray and spray to get enough moisture to make it clean and in fact, if I do spray too much it gets so soapy and sudsy it is hard to wipe clean. Usually I lightly spray my surface and then wiping it twice with a damp cloth takes care of wiping it clean. Hope that helps!

18. by Maria

On April 22, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I just made this and cleaned my tub… AMAZING!!! I had to call my mom to tell her about it,thanks for sharing.

19. by Lydia Beiler

On April 23, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Maria, so glad you liked it! Thanks for taking the time to let me know. :)

20. [...] Dawn was $0.47 each after coupons/sales.  I like to use the blue Dawn for my Homemade Bathroom Cleaner- makes an inexpensive, awesome [...]

21. by Top 10 Posts in 2013 | The Thrifty Frugal Mom