8 Money Saving Tips for Printing Coupons

Photo Source

1. Print in black and white instead of color.  I have never once printed a coupon in color and have never once had any issue with a store not accepting it as a result.

2. Set your printer to the “Quick Print” option.  Or your printer might have a “Gray Scale” or “Draft Quality” option, this would be pretty much the same thing.  Basically this setting will not use as much ink but the coupon will still be very readable.

3. Print coupons on the back side of already used paper.  This is a great way to make good use of that junk mail.  Just make sure there is no personal information on the other side!

4. Print only the coupon, skip the advertisement.  Some coupons print with an advertisement following the coupon and they usually are ink hogs.  If you pay attention you can quickly stop the printing after the coupon prints and save the ink (and paper) that would be used on the advertisement.  (I find this harder to do now that I have a laser printer because it prints so fast, but my inkjet was great for doing this.)

5. Use as much of the paper as possible.  Many coupons only take up 1/3 of the page.  When that is the case, I simply turn the paper around and print another coupon at the other end.  Make sure that it isn’t one that prints an advertisement though or you’ll have your first coupon covered up with that!

6. Print only the coupons you will use.  It’s tempting to go on a coupon printing binge and print any coupon that you have a remote chance of using.  But you have to remember that you are also wasting ink and paper when you do that.  I’d recommend sticking with printing coupons that you know you will use or that you have a 75% chance of using.  The longer you do this coupon thing, the more you have an idea of what coupons you will use regularly to get a great deal.  And if you do end up print a couple of coupons that you don’t use, really, it’s okay.  Don’t be too hard on yourself!

7. Refill your ink cartridges.  I know there are probably many different places that do this but the one that I’ve had experience with is Walgreens.  The quality of their refills was good and the cost is $12.99 plus tax which was much cheaper than what my cartridges cost!

8. Never pay full price for paper.  Seriously.  Staples has sales several times a year where you can get a pack of paper for free (after rebate) or $1.  I will try to post about those deals when I see them.

How do you save money on coupon printing?

Back To The Thrifty Frugal Mom
  1. by Coupon Cutting mom

On January 13, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Excellent tips! I have used all these money saving tips except the refill. I have a laser printer and you mentioned you do as well, do you get the laser cartridges refilled?

2. by Lydia Beiler

On January 13, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Sorry, I should have clarified that. It was the inkjet cartridges I got refilled. I don’t know that you can refill laser cartridges. Love my laser- it’s the way to go if you can!

3. by laurie b

On January 16, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I currently have a dell printer and it seems like it is always out of ink. I was wondering if you could suggest a good laser printer. Thank you.

4. by Lydia Beiler

On January 17, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Laurie, I don’t consider myself a printer expert at all and the only one I have experience with is my Brother HL-2240. We really like it and so far have had no issues with it. I also recently realized that a friend of mine who is a big couponer has a Brother printer similar to ours and she said even though she prints LOTS of stuff she only changes her toner every 6-8 months.

When I was looking for one I watched the Staples & Office Max flyers for quite a while until I saw one for about the price we wanted to pay. It was also helpful to talk to the sales associates at the store and ask them questions- I learned a lot that way!

Hope that helps you out a bit…

5. by kristen

On January 17, 2012 at 8:58 pm

you hit the nail right on the head…. you’ve said EVERY single thing that I tell others looking for good couponing tips. only other thing I would add is clip every coupon out of the newspaper b/c you’ve already paid for those, but print only those that you KNOW you will use otherwise you are wasting ink…..also, don’t throw out your expired coupons. many stores take expired coupons and if your local stores don’t, then find a place to send your expired coupons ie: TROOPONS. where troops overseas and on base are able to use expired coupons for up to 6 months past the expiration date!

6. by rebecca

On January 17, 2012 at 10:56 pm

In regards to your stopping the printer before it prints ads, windows 7 has a snipping tool that allows you to cut and paste from anything on you screen (print screen but ten times better). That would allow you to print multiple coupons on one page :)

Fantastic tips! Thanks so much!!!

7. by Teresa

On January 18, 2012 at 12:38 am

There are places that refill toner cartridges. We have a place called Jiffy Laser, don’t know if its just a local business, but my boss saved tons of money that way.

8. by Lydia Beiler

On January 18, 2012 at 7:14 am

Thanks Kristen, Rebecca and Teresa for your great suggestions! I love when my readers chip in with their ideas. I learn a lot that way! Kristen I don’t know of any stores that accept expired coupons around here but it’s good to know that in some areas people have that option. Rebecca, I’m going to have to figure out how to use that “snipping tool”- sounds very useful. And Teresa, I have not had to replace our toner yet but I’ll be checking into getting it refilled when that happens. I didn’t know that was an option.

9. by Shannon D

On January 18, 2012 at 8:07 am

Try cartridge world to get a refilled laser jet cartridge:) I worked at a dr. Office that safes a ton by doing this. They were of good quality as well:)

10. by Tiffany

On January 18, 2012 at 8:57 am

I just wanted to comment about refilling inkjet cartridges. It is true that you can save money that way but you can also destroy your printer that way. The cartridges are made to withstand certain pressures and that is defeated when ink is added to them. They can then boil over or explode which permanently damages the printer.

11. by Lydia Beiler

On January 18, 2012 at 9:57 am

Shannon, thank you for the tip! I checked and looks like we have a Cartridge World in town here. Going to have to give them a try.
    Tiffany, that’s interesting. I used lots of refilled inkjet cartridges and never had a problem.

12. by Michele K

On February 22, 2012 at 5:13 pm

My husband brings used office paper home, thats already been approved for the recycling bin, minus any personal info on it..The paper is barely used so I can usually get 2 coupons to print even without any other info on the backside..

13. by Lydia Beiler

On February 22, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Michelle, that is an awesome thing to be able to do. And it sure helps you save a bundle!

14. by Melanie

On February 23, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Great tips! But how about foregoing the printing altogether? A lot of stores will actually let you display a coupon on your smart phone…I’ve done that several times at restaurants like Ruby Tuesday (who email me coupons) and Pei Wei. There are a lot of coupon apps out there to use them in stores as well. That way, saving on paper (saving trees) and you don’t have to keep track physically (I’m famous for misplacing) or worry about not bringing it with you.

:-)

Melanie with SmartySaver.com

15. by Lydia Beiler

On February 24, 2012 at 9:55 am

Melanie, good point! I don’t have a smart phone so I’m a little unsure of how all the apps work. But I really like the idea of not having to print stuff!