4 Reasons Why Parents Who Smoke Should Quit

I’ve been working with colleagues on some new scientific papers focused on parental smoking and the effects on their kids. As we have been reviewing the literature, I decided to summarize why parents who smoke should quit. Here are 4 reasons:

1) Smoking will compromise the quality of your life and your lifespan. You are putting yourself at high risk for debilitating lung and heart disease and premature death. A recent study suggested that smoking “rots the brain” – meaning your cognitive functioning may decline as you get older as well. So, if you have kids, you are messing with your later years with them – and with your future grandkids. It might not be on your mind right now, but when that time comes, you will have regrets.

2) Smoking puts your kids at risk for health problems. As a society, we all know now the dangers of secondhand smoke. Smoking is prohibited in restaurants, businesses, and public areas for a reason. It’s up to you to prohibit it in the home and protect your child – the number of diseases that they will be prone to are staggering.

3) Parents who smoke have kids who will smoke. The data we are analyzing right now continue to support this finding. Parental smoking is a big risk factor for kids starting to smoke as teens and continuing into adulthood. Your kids will thus be putting themselves at all kinds of health risks in their lifetime as well.

4) When a parent quits smoking, it reduces a kid’s risk to become a smoker. Quitting smoking is not easy. But parents who successfully complete a smoking cessation program greatly reduce the likelihood that their kids will become smokers. So you can protect your kid from starting to smoke by quitting now.

Remember, smoking is the leading preventable cause of major health problems. Why not do what you can to prevent your child from smoking – and improve your own health as well?

Pacifier and Cigarettes via Shutterstock.com

Back To Red-Hot Parenting
  1. by Buy High Quality brazilian weave hair

On December 13, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Many thanks for making the effort to discuss this, I feel strongly about this and enjoy studying a great deal more on this subject http://hairforsaletu.webs.com/apps/blog/show/20890115-brazilian-blowout-bad-for-your-hair

2. by 12 bohyme brazilian wave remy

On December 14, 2012 at 12:32 pm

3. by aeropostale promotional codes

On December 23, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Quality articles or reviews is the secret to interest the users to visit the website, that’s what this web site is providing.

4. by Suggested Webpage

On December 25, 2012 at 7:06 pm

This will be a terrific blog, could you be involved in doing an interview about just how you created it? If so e-mail me!

5. by relevant site

On December 26, 2012 at 7:29 am

Throughout this awesome design of things you actually secure a B- for effort. Exactly where you actually misplaced us ended up being in the facts. You know, they say, the devil is in the details… And it couldn’t be more true right here. Having said that, permit me reveal to you just what exactly did do the job. Your writing can be extremely powerful which is possibly the reason why I am making an effort to comment. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that. Next, even though I can easily notice the leaps in reasoning you make, I am not really certain of just how you appear to unite your ideas which make your conclusion. For right now I shall yield to your point however wish in the foreseeable future you actually link your dots better.

6. by http://youtube.com/watch?v=xbL01vfSggg

On January 8, 2013 at 12:36 pm

As a blow owner I believe the subject matter here is reallygreat. I thank you for your hard work. You should keep it up forever! Best of luck..

7. by Steve B.

On January 11, 2013 at 5:54 am

If you buy a pack of cigarettes and smear shit on them and try to smoke them you will not like it. So when you think of smoking you will think of the taste of shit and you will quit. I know a guy who did this. Do anything but quit smoking.

8. by Ligia Swarb

On January 18, 2013 at 8:48 am

Hi there, simply was aware of your blog thru Google, and found that it’s truly informative. I am going to be careful for brussels. I will be grateful if you happen to proceed this in future. A lot of people shall be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

9. by stay at home parents

On February 18, 2013 at 9:38 am

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn something like this before. So nice to find someone with some unique ideas on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this web site is one thing that’s needed on the internet, somebody with a little originality. helpful job for bringing something new to the web!