The 25 Words A 2-Year-Old Should Be Saying

By age 2, most kids are talking. There is a wide range in the number of words they use, but it’s typically suggested that they are using at least 50. However, as reported by Heidi Evans in the NY Daily News, new research by Dr. Leslie Rescorla (a professor and clinician at Bryn Mawr College) is refining this perspective by listing the 25 most common words that toddlers master – and suggesting that if your 2-year-old isn’t, at a minimum, using these words, then it makes sense to seek out an evaluation. Here is the list, as quoted from the NY Daily News article:

Mommy
thank-you
bath
shoe
hat
book
all gone

What you should note about the list is that these are the basic words that are most frequently used conversationally by toddlers as they interact with their world. So if a 2-year-old isn’t routinely using them, it’s time to talk to your pediatrician about getting an evaluation. There could be many reasons why spoken language isn’t developing at the typical rate (there could be a hearing problem, an issue with the mechanics of speaking, or early signs of an underlying learning disorder or autism spectrum disorder) – and it may turn out to be that the words will just come with time. But, this is the age to start screening and evaluating, so that if there is a detectable problem, an appropriate intervention can be discussed and implemented. This last point is the critical one, as the earlier an intervention starts, the more effective it will be.

Shop for educational toys to help your tot’s language development, or see her growth charts.

Development Milestones: Age 24 Months
Development Milestones: Age 24 Months
Development Milestones: Age 24 Months

Back To Red-Hot Parenting
  1. by Melanie Potock, MA, CCC-SLP

On February 23, 2012 at 9:34 am

As a pediatric speech language pathologist, I’d like to offer a bit more information. By age 2, we like to see boys and girls (girls usually are talking a bit more) have over 50 words (this can include animal sounds, motor boat noises, etc.) and begin combining two words together. Keep in mind that “Hi there” is a one word concept and “Bye Bye Mommy” is a true two word concept.

Thank you so much for expressing the importance of early intervention. Federal Law mandates that children birth to three can get a FREE evaluation via their local school system or community center board resources. Just call your local school district and ask how to do that.

Thanks again!

2. by Andrea

On February 23, 2012 at 9:36 am

Are these words supposed to be spoken clearly and correctly? My almost 2 year old says most of these, but I’m not sure someone who isn’t around her everyday would know what she is saying.

3. by Vanessa

On February 23, 2012 at 9:53 am

My son just turned two and is due to start Speech therapy in the next few weeks. He says maybe 10 words, makes maybe 10 more noises/weird sounds that mean a certain object and signs about 10 more. I know he can hear me as he can follow directions etc. His receptive vocabulary is pretty good. Hopefully, the ST can flick the switch in his head or in his lazy-muscled mouth to get him talking so we are both less frustrated!!!

4. by Jessica Gibson

On February 23, 2012 at 10:11 am

My son is 19 months and he says way more then that. He says all those words and a lot more, he can say his abc’s, count to 10, he knows some basic colors, he can speak in small sentences and make 8 different animal sounds. I thought he was average, but it seems he may be above average then.

5. by Kellie Jersey

On February 23, 2012 at 10:14 am

Well I guess I can say that as a mother of 3 kids, all 3 of them knew more than 25 words and spoke them quite well, but I spent lots of time talking 2 them while they were in utero and as a baby…but all kids learn at their own pace, so it shouldn’t b frowned upon if some 2 yr olds don’t know 25 words…each child learns at different rates, and some only know as much as their parents are willing to teach them, or in some cases, all that they are able to do without speech therapy. I feel that no1 should judge unless they know what’s going on…that’s all.

6. by Sheri

On February 23, 2012 at 11:09 am

My son is 2 1/2 now and barely says these words. We took him to a speech therapist a few months ago but we then lost our insurance so we stopped going. I try to work with him and repeat sounds and words. He can follow everything but he wont say them on his own. He understands everything I tell him to do though. So I will be patient and hope to get insurance soon.

I just wanted to say to * Jessica Gibson* that its great that your child speaks so well but that you really dont need to be showing off on this page as it says 2 year olds and your child isnt even 2 yet. By showing off your hurting other peoples feelings and not helping out with the rest of us who do have a child thats frustrated and does not speak as much. So please think about what you say and go to another page that says my 19 month old talks about average or is a genius or whatever you want to share on that page and Im sure it will be fine. (sorry I needed to vent because I just thought that was totally inappropriate)

7. by Monica

On February 23, 2012 at 11:21 am

I think that it should also be noted that not knowing all of these words can be attributed to learning two languages at once. Toddlers (like my own) who are simultaneously learning two languages can be “behind” this statistic as well until they reach 9 or 10 years of age.

8. by Monica

On February 23, 2012 at 11:24 am

Yea, and what is all of this Mommy bragging going on here? The article didn’t say “How Many Parents Have Children That are Freaking Amazing”! If my son spoke one language, he would have kicked your kids a**. He knew all of that stuff at that age, too, AND knows two languages. So poo on you, Jebroni.

9. by Dana

On February 23, 2012 at 11:43 am

To be sure these 25 worded may be interchangable… however to the writer above who feels one shouldn’t judge, I only want to encourage some assessment. This is really less of a judgement call and more of a developmental issue. I have known friends’ children who truly just started talking later, but it doesn’t hurt to discuss it with your pediatrician.

10. by Erica

On February 23, 2012 at 11:59 am

@Jessica, this is not a brag article, it’s a helpful article to educate and alert those who happen to have children with a learning disability. Great for you, by do you really need to find a way to making yourself look good or boost your mom ego on an informative website such as this?

That’s amazing to all those moms out there with kids who are exceeding what’s expected at their age, I am fortunate also to have a healthy girl who is meeting all her milestones at 20 months, however posting how much more your child can do on a post such as this lacks tact. That’s like bragging your baby weighed a bunch at birth, you had an all natural labor or only breast fed. People need to take into consideration that not all of these actions along with milestones are because of parents choices, sometimes there are complications that are just small detours. To all the parents who’s kids aren’t meeting this milestone, you are so fortunate there is so much help available and they are so young it doesn’t greatly affect their chances getting ahead.

11. by Dana

On February 23, 2012 at 12:59 pm

@jessica it’s too bad your son’s mother doesn’t know the difference between “then” and “than.”. Maybe you should use proper grammar yourself (and you’re being hurtful to boot)

12. by Bobbie miller

On February 23, 2012 at 1:10 pm

My son will be 3 at the end of next month. he is just now getting a bigger vocabulary. he has an older sister who talks for him, he also has speech difficulty. everyone learns at their own pace. and i am not worried on his development.

13. by Amy

On February 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I have four children and all but one have talked later. There is no reason to be worried yet if they have just barely turned two. After they turn two and refuse to talk, I have to more highly encourage talking by not responding to pointing or gestures anymore. If they want something they must at least attempt to say the name of the object. They still get necessities, though. If you don’t see some progress within a week, testing might be very useful. One of mine ended up not responding much to that method, turned out he was partially deaf and we had no idea. We thought he was just a quiet boy. After surgery and speech through the school district he is doing great.

14. by Amanda D

On February 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm

To all you parents. I know what your going through, my stepson when he was 2 he only said Momma, and he called everyone Momma, about 3 is when he started talking I worked with him since he was 2 when I met my husband. It was tough beause, his doctor said, he is fine, nothing to worry about. My stepson is now 7 and he has been taking speech therapy now for 3 years. He is bright young boy, he just needs the extra help. His older sister spoke alot for him when they were little, I believe that was another reason for his delay in speech. But once he started speech therapy you could understand him a lot more clearly. And I am glad I signed him up for it. Since his paternal family, was against it. But now they see how much it has helped him.

15. by Danielle

On February 23, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I wasn’t going to comment, but I feel like I should. Why does anyone care if a proud mama wants to brag a bit? We all do it. I’m assuming she’s probably just realizing that her child is ahead of his peers. This article probably just confirmed that for her. Let’s not all jump down her throat because she’s proud of her kid, ok?

16. by stacy h

On February 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm

for the love of pete, why does celebrating an accomplishment have to mean bragging or lacking tact? why do we feel the need to tear people down for being proud of their hard work?

go bring some light to the world, rather than trying to snuff out someone else’s.

17. by Mandy

On February 24, 2012 at 12:17 am

@Stacy….it isn’t bragging about “her” hard work..anymore than it is another parent’s fault that their child isn’t meeting that milestone. I typically stay away from these sites because the comparisons drive me nuts. Why can’t we as adults say..this article really helped me out, thanks?!

18. by Samantha

On February 24, 2012 at 10:02 am

Jeeze people how come you need to do more growing than your 2 year olds?? There really isn’t a set amount of words that a two year old SHOULD be saying, every child is different. When I worked in a daycare as a teen I noticed that some kids aged one to three didn’t even say a word and some you couldn’t get to be quiet. But the thing is, after I had kids I realized that every child is different and grows in their own way. My daughter didn’t talk much at all and wouldn’t repeat anything I said at all, she just wasn’t interested. She got by by pointing at the things she wanted. But I kept it up and when she would point I would say what the object was before offering it to her. One day she started talking and I was amazed because she almost spoke in full sentences! At the same time, I would run into people who had kids the same age, around two, and their children said more or less than my daughter did. We just have to remember that we, as well as our children are all unique individuals who learn at different intervals. Don’t be worried about your child, take them to get evaluated if you are, but just continue working with them. They will succeed eventually. How many kindergarteners do you know that can’t speak pretty well?? It all comes in time. And if you are someone like Jessica then yes, you have every reason to be proud, as do we all.

19. by Millie

On February 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm

@ Sheri My son was not talking at 2yrs old and my insurance didnt coveer it either but i got him free therapies thru the help of his pediatrician. today my son is 3yrs old and thanks to the early intervention therapy he is using more words and is learning more everyday . Dont wait on insurance , speak to your pediatrician for help.

20. by Dia

On February 24, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Here is my list of words every child should understand (not necessarily speak):

Mommy and/or daddy, hug, kiss, love, cuddles, book, play, eat, drink, fun, bath, quiet, grandma, grandpa, tickle, giggle, pee pee, poo poo, please and thank you.

I liked this article better than those that just count words a child should know. Early intervention is great and anything that helps this mommy know when that might be needed is appreciated.

21. by Barbara

On February 28, 2012 at 11:43 am

Birth order can factor in as well. I have a nephew who talked fairly late, only because he had an older brother that did all his talking for him. He started talking in his own time and by 4 was talking the same as every other 4 year old. Definitely get an evaluation as the article suggests, but if your child is developmentally on par and can recognize (point to those things when you ask them to) I wouldn’t stress too much just because they aren’t saying them yet.

22. by Jan M

On February 28, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Hi all…Like Andrea, I am a Speech and Language Pathologist as well as a mom of three grown kids. I’ve worked in peds for 25 years. Speaking as a mom, my own three perfectly normal kids spoke at varying rates. Birth order matters. First borns usually talk sooner and middle/last kids who have to compete for talk time or have sibs talk for them, sometimes lag a bit in that area. No big deal.

From a clinical perspective, 25 words is average, moms..not an iron bar. When I evaluate a 2 year old who isn’t speaking much, I look at how well that child is understanding language as well as what we call communicative intent. How much does he WANT to communicate? That’s a huge issue. If a child wants to communicate but has trouble, that means different things than a child who isn’t communicating and doesn’t have an interest in it. I guess what Im saying is the 25 word guideline is just that, a guideline. There is a lot more to evaluating a child’s communication than just the words they’re saying. Thats why if you are at all concerned, like Andrea said, take your child in for a screening somewhere. If you have no insurance, your local school district will likely have an Early Childhood screening program, and if your preschooler qualifies, they will provide therapy even if they’re not school age. Not everywhere and honestly the services aren’t as good as you’d get in a Clinic which is more service oriented, but at least its something.

23. by Papa

On February 28, 2012 at 11:54 pm

My 17 month old son already speaks more than 100 words in 4 different languages. I hope this shuts everyone up…. Seriously! Instead of bragging, or bashing each other, why don’t you suggest ideas that can help everyone?

24. by No Nonsense

On March 5, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Maybe nowadays over-achieving stressed out mothers need to get an evaluation. Let kids grow up on their own pace instead of putting them under a microscope and evaluating everything they do based on some list someone developed.

Here’s a word moms need to know when their kid is 2: RELAX.

25. by Lala

On March 13, 2012 at 10:50 pm

My 2 year isn’t big into talking. part of that is my fault cause he can point to something and mommy knows what he wants. I look at these words like guideline. I did talk to my son’s doctors and my son will copy things people say and will answer questions. Really as Jan M said it comes down to if your kid wants to talk sometimes. I always just talk to my son and used words. Just talk to your doctor if you have worries and go from there. My son’s doctor wasn’t worry because my son responded and understood questions.

26. by nancy

On March 14, 2012 at 9:54 am

There is NOTHING wrong with being proud of your child’s performance. We are supposed to hear about ALL types of stories, not just the ones that you feel comfortable with. Some children advance more quickly, others get there in their own time (unless there is a hearing problem preventing it, etc.) My son says all these words in 2 languages – he is 20 months old- so i know that we are on the right track. I wasn’t planning on commenting on this article in case some would think I was “boasting” but you need to also see that some children ARE indeed at this level- as the article states, this is the norm. So leave Jessica or, anyone else who wants to share the good news about their child, alone.

27. by Mimi

On March 14, 2012 at 9:58 am

Yeah, why is reporting the great stuff bragging? I agree sometimes it is, but it also shows the wide range of what is “normal” for our kids. Some talk more or sooner, others develop motor skills better and faster, but it’s good for everyone to hear about what other kids are doing. Sometimes we only have a small reference circle or a pediatrician’s ( or mother’s or mother-in-law’s…) opinion to go on. Brag on, proud mamas! Others shouldn’t feel bad if their kids are at a different place in one area. Brag about something amazing they each do!

28. by Monica

On March 14, 2012 at 10:01 am

I agree all kids are very different. We were very concerned that our daughter was not speaking at the time when they suggested she should be knowing tons of words. I attributed it to her learning two languages, and that it was possibly confusing her. She piggybacked off a girl at school who was taking speech therapy, and did everything as instructed- that was at 2 years old. Now at 2.5 she is doing great, she knows tons of words in both languages. All I am saying is have patient, and if needed work a little extra with your child to help them get and say the words. Phonics are great for teaching them ways to say things. I also go a dvd called Baby Babble. Good luck everyone :)

29. by cr

On March 14, 2012 at 10:11 am

I just want to point out that not every 2 yr old ought to say ‘juice’ or ‘cookie’ b/c both are things not recommended for children under 2, so ought not be extremely commonly used words around them (except with older siblings around, then all bets are off). The point isnt the words, if the fact that the most frequently heard/needed words by a toddler ought to be the ones known. Also, if a child has 2 dads or 2 moms, maybe the other gendered parent name isn’t known, b/c it’s rarely used.

30. by Michelle

On March 14, 2012 at 10:19 am

I agree with all Sheri stated. Sensitivity isn’t so common when it comes to children.

31. by Tina

On March 14, 2012 at 10:22 am

Agree with Cr. My near 2 yr old doesn’t say Juice for example because she doesn’t drink it and therefore is unfamiliar with it. I think the list is a nice guideline but we shouldn’t be too rigid with it. Thank you for the article.

32. by Meredith

On March 14, 2012 at 10:37 am

My daughter is almost 2. She doesn’t talk either. She will point to what she wants, I do say what it is before I give it to her. She tries to say the word, ex banana is nana. Her doctor gave us a number for early intervention, which we will be taking her too.

33. by Stacie

On March 14, 2012 at 10:52 am

Parents amaze me…….I’m also a proud parent to an above average 2 1/2 year old. My 10 year old son had speech problems and had a lisp. Speech therapy helped him so much. Why not tell the mom that some of you see as being tactless, “that’s awesome!!” Just because some of us had to endure the battles of speech impairment, this mom hasn’t. Don’t be so harsh. ALL of us brag on our children from time to time. It’s one of the perks of parenting!! Yes, get your child screened if there is concern. Best wishes to all.

34. by Bob

On March 14, 2012 at 10:56 am

My mom told me I didn’t start saying my firt word until I was 2. Her sister’s kid started saying words before he was 14 months. He started walking before he was 1 and never crawled. I didnt start walking until I was almost 18 months.

I am now 36 years old and VP of a bank. My cousin who apprently was so gifted as a baby is also 36 and is now in prison for armed robbery.

What does all this tell you?

35. by cynthia

On March 14, 2012 at 11:00 am

My son is almost two and he is finally starting to be more vocal. he can say about 19 of the 25 words above. I started him on speech therapy when he was only 16 months because he seemed so delayed when compared to my other two children ( both girls). My family and friends kept telling me to give him time and that he didnt need it. I think they might have felt a bit scared that something might really be wrong with him so they rather avoid it. He was very aggressive and would hit everything and everyone, but once they helped him sign, his frustration and anger really subsided. He still signs to communicate when he cant find the right words but he has come a long way. I encourage parents to seek speech therapy if you can, it doesnt mean something is wrong with your child, and it cant hurt.

36. by Tori's Mom

On March 14, 2012 at 11:14 am

Lol @ Papa. U r such a liar.

37. by Ben's Mama

On March 14, 2012 at 11:33 am

My son’s only 1 1/2 and seems to be developing normally, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t know a few words on the list (cookie, juice) because we don’t have them that often! He LOVES fruit and LOVES water. And we don’t see babies all that often so if he doesn’t say “baby” I’m not going to be terribly surprised either. This list assumes that the kids hear these words a lot throughout their day…I think I like the 50 words idea much better than a list because every family is different. Or perhaps a list that says they should know “most” of these words by age 2.

38. by nancy

On March 14, 2012 at 11:59 am

Agree that 25-50 basic words (but not specifically any one word) because my son doesn’t have a daddy (he has a papa) nor does he eat cookies so just the quantity is important. Also, I personally didn’t talk until I was 4. There was nothing wrong, my mother says I was aloof and didn’t really have a big interaction in talking with people. So every child is different.

39. by Jackie

On March 14, 2012 at 12:07 pm

My daughter just turned 21 months. We started getting her help developmentally at 15 months (as the doctor recommended evaluation) as she wasn’t even really attempting to walk yet. She finally started walking around 17 months. Then the doctor recommended at 19 months to start speech therapy because she wasn’t talking to their standards. So now she has been working with a speech therapist. In my state (KY), there is an early intervention program called First Steps. They don’t have to go through insurance and there is just a “family contribution” portion that we pay which is based on your income. We pay $30 a month and she gets weekly developmental and speech therapy.

I do believe that parents should get to celebrate the accomplishments of their child, yet I can say that as a parent of a child who is “behind,” we have a tendency to blame ourselves and when we hear someone “bragging,” we feel like a failure as “what did I do wrong?” So, as parents we need to all celebrate the accomplishments whenever they happen. So when I celebrate my daughter finally talking well at a “later than normal” date, still celebrate with me!

P.S. – I have heard from our DI that delayed walkers are generally delayed talkers if that helps anyone :)

40. by Shannon

On March 14, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Early intervention is not all its cracked up to be. What happened to letting kids develop at their own pace? OF COURSE a speech pathologist would start providing services to a two year old who isn’t using those 25 words- that’s how they make money. Don’t act like Early Intervention services are “free” your tax dollars fund these PRIVATE organizations that provide services. How many kids do they evaluate and say ” you know, your kid is fine”– not many I’m sure! I know because it happened to me. My son was communicating but not using many words, and they found he needed speech therapy .( at 2) He could understand well beyond his age group, and wouldn’t speak for the therapist. I shouldn’t have listened to the preschool. Using a chart of expectations is a ridiculous way to measure a child, they are all different. He’s 4 now and completely normal . He developed on his own, at his own pace. How is it possible that ALL these children are in need of services?? They are not- parents and schools need or want them to be accelerated. Just look at all the above posts boasting about their children. Let your kids live, and grow at their own pace!

41. by Corrina

On March 14, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I had a girl first and she started talking when she was 5 mo old. Then I had my son and he didn’t talk except to say mama and papa until after2 1/2 yrs old. Then he said words but got them mixed up, we thought it was cute. Then we realized he had a hard time following directions too. It turns out he was dyslexic and had audio processing disorder. We have had to homeschool him so that he wouldn’t get left behind because he worked at such a slow pace. After years of working side by side he is in seventh grade and finally able to work independently. The earlier you catch it the better.

42. by mommyof2

On March 14, 2012 at 1:56 pm

They forgot the ever-popular “mine” and “uh oh”! :-)

43. by Stephanie

On March 14, 2012 at 2:18 pm

My 19 month old says a few of these. I completely agree with the mommy saying its harder with 2 languages and the child being “behind”. My daughter is a combination of Iranian & Italian and since we live in TX English/Spanish is a must here. So in a nutshell, she can say some words in one language but other words in an other. Of course if we say it, she completely understands. Im not bragging about her being a genius but merely stating that people should not go by what these “studies” suggest. After all, it IS a suggestion.

44. by Kim

On March 14, 2012 at 2:23 pm

It concerns me the number of people saying “don’t worry about it” because sometimes there ARE issues, like the mom who found out her child was partially deaf.

I completely agree that children definitely learn at their own pace and plenty of kids who don’t meet milestones don’t need therapy, there are kids who do and earlier the intervention the better.

For the person complaining about tax money being spent on the program I’d like to point out that helping a 2 or 3 year old for a year or two is a lot less expensive than waiting till they are behind in elementary school, at which point they are more likely to also have behavior problems due to struggling. Are all kids who are behind at two going to end up that way if they don’t get intervention? Absolutely not, people are right that some kids grow out of it. Not all kids do though! And we want to catch those kids.

45. by Cassandra

On March 14, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I’m surprised thank you is up there but not please.

46. by Doris

On March 14, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I don’t believe in the whole “how many words your child should say” by 2 years old. Every child is different and wired differently. Not every child 2 years of age have same height or weight, so why do we want to compare them. Articles like that makes some parents think that their children are behind or delayed. DO not pressure the child, and he or she will speak with time. My children are raised bilingual (English and French) and although they respond to both languages, it is normal for them not to speak later because they are processing both languages at once. So, I know I should not worry because my oldest son turned out fine, and I would rather my children to speak later but be bilingual. So, parents need to relax about those things and stop comparing our children to everyone else’s. They are unique. Of course, in some cases, speech therapy could help but we should not have a sense of false guilt because our child is “delayed”.

47. by Tiffany Burton

On March 14, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I have a one year old (14months) daughter and she already says six of these words including i love and cheese. I believe every child is different in there own ways. Peace & love from the Burton family :)

48. by Shannon

On March 14, 2012 at 4:21 pm

My 2 year old can recite the Gettysburg Address forwards and backwards and in her sleep!!

49. by Melanie

On March 14, 2012 at 4:39 pm

The line “So if a 2-year-old isn’t routinely using them, it’s time to talk to your pediatrician about getting an evaluation. ” was especially concerning to me. I’m no expert, but I think it’s a bit presumptuous to just jump right into- doesn’t know these words, something may be wrong with ‘em scenario. Would it not be more appropriate (and less troubling) to say- your child should know about 25 words at age 2 that are routinely said around your home. I mean- what if we never eat cookies so she/he doesn’t know the word cookie, but says “salsa” ten times a day?! I just think the way this article was presented brought some concern and raised some flags.

As for the Mom “bragging” on her kid (I think it was Jessica), I believe people are taking what she said WAYYY out of context. It’s not like she was addressing anyone in particular and saying- my kid is better than your kid because… She was just making a statement that, truthfully, was probably not addressed to anyone other than the author of the article so your ruffled feathers are all for naught! I didn’t take it offensively and I didn’t think she was out of place for saying it. Perhaps there’s sensitivity because others kids are not to that level of knowledge yet. So what? Neither is mine, compared to what all she listed, but I’m not going to attack her for it either! Kids are different, just as people are. If you’re concerned that yours is not up to speed, so to speak, then have them tested. If not, don’t worry about it. But don’t freak out on a Mom that’s just saying- wow, I didn’t know they might be advanced. Good for you!

50. by Enoch

On March 14, 2012 at 5:13 pm

The thing that struck me most on reading this list is that the word “please” isn’t on it. If these are supposed to be the words a child hear’s the most in conversation, then that should surely be in the top 5.

51. by Angela

On March 14, 2012 at 5:18 pm

My son has no idea what cow milk is. The only milk he gets is from the breast, and he has always called it “kiki.” He also doesn’t know what a cookie is, but he can ask for “toast,” “sandwich,” and “spinach,” so I think we’re good LOL.

52. by Jhonson

On March 14, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Can u say immature. Some of you moms need to get a life, maybe grow up, or even take classes yourself on how to treat others. Maybe your child is slower because you just sit and bitch all day. Damn, idiots. Get off the website and start teaching your kids stuff.. Mmmm good idea huh?
    Peace & god bless!!!!

53. by Ashleigh

On March 14, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I, for one, have a 4 month old baby who obviously can’t speak yet, but I think it is ridiculous for you mothers to get so irate about jessica’s comment. It was not inflammatory in any way and actually it is really helpful to know what a baby is capable of doing at a given age. Some people are way too sensitive.

54. by kkh

On March 14, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Cookie is an important word for a 2 year old?? Not my kid. Give me a break. As long as the kid has at least 25 words. This list is arbitrary and ridiculous. When my son is 2 he will not know how to say cookie. I will shoot for broccoli or salmon. And people wonder why Americans are fat slob.

55. by Carol

On March 14, 2012 at 6:53 pm

The very best help I have found is an Ebook you can download, named HOW TO HELP YOUR CHILD LEARN TO TALK BETTER IN EVERYDAY ACTIVITES, by Mary Lou Johnson. It has universal application whether the child is doing fine, a bit slow, or dealing with a significant problem. Get it from HELPYOURCHILDSPEAK.COM. Lots of clear examples of how we can talk and stimulate talking with toddlers–so easy to use. I have no stake in this except to share my great-grandchildren’s lives.

56. by Carol

On March 14, 2012 at 7:02 pm

The very best thing I’ve seen is a downloadable Ebook named HOW TO HELP YOUR CHILD LEARN TO TALK BETTER IN EVERYDAY ACTIVITIES, by Mary Lou Johnson. It is universally applicable to all toddlers, whether they are doing fine, are a bit slow, or have a significant problem. The examples are clear and rich and easy to apply, and put good principles into practice with no effort. I have no stake in this book–only a stake in my dear great-grandchildren who deserve this wonderful help. Order from HELPYOURCHILDSPEAK.COM. You’ll be glad you did.

57. by TooMuchMamaDrama

On March 14, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I find this both disturbing & insightful.I’m glad there is a guideline,but as stated above not all parents may use some of these specific words.It amazes me how a website used for information can become a stomping ground for “parents” to belittle eachother.My daughter will be 3 in July, yes she says ALL of these words& then some,but only talks around certain people due to her shy personality.Her Dr has asked if she talks at all lol.Her Daddy is the same way they just don’t talk to people they don’t see regularly.Seriously don’t you guys have toddlers to take care of?

58. by Pam T

On March 14, 2012 at 7:56 pm

It took me a little time to get my son to talk and be understood. I taught him the basic sign language words, more, please, thank you ect.
    It didn’t take long for him to catch on and I made him try and say the word and in no time he was saying the word and signing but he caught more onto the talking after he turned three. I am a fast talker so I had to slow my talking down (that took a bit to figure out)
    I don’t like how they are saying there’s a problem if your child doesn’t say these words. All kids are different, learn at different rates and speak at different times. Stop trying to label our children and find something really worth wild to research or find another job.
    My son says most all these words but not all gone, but he does say all done, and he knows some French.

59. by Shannon

On March 14, 2012 at 7:59 pm

@ Kim
    The problem is that many therapists will accept any child who is evaluated, they will almost always find something wrong. Like I said, how many do they turn away? I’ve been told by preschool directors “it’s free, or your insurance will Pay for it.” We need to stop freaking parents out over nothing. Posting a list of words for a two year old to verbalize is wrong! This is a way to funnel public money into private organizations under the pretense of ” helping children.” When it does nothing for children who do not have real disabilities.

60. by jordan

On March 14, 2012 at 8:18 pm

my son was born in 2009 so is just a lil over 2 and has these mastered

61. by Stormie garza

On March 14, 2012 at 9:44 pm

My son was diagnosed with Autism after being evaluated by a speech pathologist, and a behavioral specialist just after turning 3 this last september. He has been going to speech therapy since then for a hour and fifteen minuets once a week. He has grown so much in learning to talk in just a few months work. I greatly advise moms who think their child has a problem get it checked. The sooner the better. I know it is really hard at first but it will be so much better fir the child to get it detected early.

62. by chrissy

On March 14, 2012 at 10:44 pm

my son is 23 months old and says all these words, very well…along with others. he was crawling about 7 months old,walking by 11 months…. when they are this age they tend to soak up a lot of words so i try to read to him and talk to him as if he was a little adult :) i talk to him about certain tasks, such as bath or eating breakfast,lunch,dinner and naptimes. i hope my daughter is going to be as receptive as he is, she is 9 months old, and is just now learning to sit up…a little advice would be nice besides “every child is different”.

63. by Laura

On March 15, 2012 at 3:55 am

WOW! I really don’t know where to start, I am blown away at the level of ignorance and immaturity over a mommy making a small statement about her childs progress! To Jessica, good for you! It sounds like you have spent a lot of time with him and it is paying off. I am only upset with you for not defending what you said..so I will gladly do it for you! My son is 27 months and says most all of these words…plus a good 75 more. He doesnt say *HAT* because we do not talk about a hat every day, but he *COULD* say it if he wanted to. He says 2 to 5 word sentances as a matter of fact, and he HAS been labeled as gifted and advanced. SO WHAT??? I believe the writers of these articles have every good intention of trying to help parents, why do so do so many of you bitch and moan about what they say> Stop reading Parents magazine if all you can do is critique the writers! I believe the 25 words that were listed were a guidline, not an absolute RULE! Some of us were smart enough to figure that one out! The whole purpose was to help us understand that there are certain stages of developement, and that when a child isnt speaking or doing other *normal* things by a certain age…there could POSSIBLY be a propblem., PersonallyI appreciate the writer pointing this out, so that I could see that there isnt a problem with my sons hearing…or worse. From all the replies, it looks like teenagers with kids read all this, but for the actual adults here, try to kerp things in content, and use what you read as an example, not a MUST DO. I feel bad for the writer, for this girl Jessica, but most of all I feel sorry for the children being raised by such ignorant, mean and judgemental people, and I hope you will change your ways of treating people before your kids pick up your bad habits…NOW you have something to be pissed off about! Thanks so much for the helpful article, I loook forward to more advise and guidance as I raise my boy!

64. by Laura H.

On March 15, 2012 at 4:25 am

Y’all are funny. Who cares?? Stop getting upset at every little thing. Do the best you can and know you are giving 100%. Some children are just faster learners no need to get mad at the awesome mom! Instead ask for her advice. So, Jessica, what did you do??? My boys (twins- I have an amazing uterus, y’all gonna get mad about that too?) Are 18 months and barely saying mama and Dada. Should I read to them more? Or repeat everything 50 times? Lol

65. by Rei

On March 15, 2012 at 8:16 am

I think every mommy and daddy have the right to show off their kid…you were blessed with a miracle so right there is a bragging right.

@Laura…maybe some of these parents might be ignorant but don’t talk chit about their parenting. Some of them got offended because of the way that other person commented about her child. No this isn’t a bragging competition this is a tip, learning, helpful, heads up place.

Someone had mentioned that their child speaks 2 different. Languages, yes that is harder. Especially. When your traditional backgrounds are so strong and the inlaws fam. Is not. Is it hugo or juice? Is it basito or cup? My son is 16 mo’s and can turn on the DVD player. Oooh, what?! Not a genius but can kick your mas puto sons arse!

66. by amanda

On March 15, 2012 at 9:34 am

Every child learns at a different pace. I wouldn’t be too worried about not reaching the guidelines unless you can’t understand anything the child says. I have a 2yr old stepdaughter and a 2 yr old nephew only 2 weeks apart. My stepdaughter talks in complete sentences and repeats everything you say. And is completely potty trained. She is very laid back. My nephews talks but you can’t understand most of what he says and he only says one maybe 2 words together and usually doesn’t make the first letter sound in the word. He has no interest in potty training. But boy can that kid run and climb and flip and jump lol my stepdaughter usually trips over her own feet. She won’t even attempt climbing at the playground she would rather just sit in the swing or play with the grass. I think its more of thier attention span. As the hyper ones get older they will want to know whats going on with all the words. And the laid back ones will want to play with the other kids. By kindergarten usually all the kids are on the same level. :)

67. by Tiffany

On March 15, 2012 at 10:49 am

My daughter was almost 2 and only saying about 15 words. We were concerned that she was falling behind in her language skills. Thankfully, I was in school at the time for childhood development, and so I knew not to panic yet. Her receptive language was fine, she just didn’t express it well. At 2 years 2 months, her speech exploded and she was saying 4-5 word sentences. She did have some pronounciation issues, which we worked on , and she now is 3 and a half and out-talks an 8 year old lol So please don’t get concerned too quickly, but watch for compounding issues (not talking ALONG with not chewing, not making eye contact, or not having any desire for social interaction) etc. but as always, early intervention is the best key to success, so if the issue isnt seeing any improvement, get on seeing someone about it! Great article!

68. by Rose

On March 15, 2012 at 7:41 pm

My daughter is 19 months and says most of these plus a few more. I have been blessed with a smart, healthy baby. However I also know that intelligence does not always equate to verbal communication. I was barely speaking at 2 and had to go through years of speech therapy due to a severe speech impediment (not sure about spelling). There are amazing free resources out there if you need the help. Just call your local health department

69. by Jessie

On March 15, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I think the main point of this is that every child is different and will learn at their own pace. For example My oldest who is 6 years old was speaking in full understandable sentences by the time she was 16 months old and also was fluent sign language. She didn’t crawl until she was 11 months old and didn’t start walking until she was 2. She is currently in kindergarten and is reading at a 3rd grade level, runs 2 miles everyday for fun and is on a rollerblade hockey team. My second daughter who is 15 months old has been crawling since she was 6 and a half months old and walking since 10 months. Her father, sister and I talk to her constantly but she has no interest in saying anything. The only thing that she does say is her older sisters name. We had her evaluated for her speech but they don’t see any problem with her at the moment. Everything will happen in time and I think that some parents get too carried away with making sure that their child is the smartest and fastest. I feel most parents need to add the word RELAX into their own vocabulary.

70. by AnnMarie

On March 16, 2012 at 10:46 am

All kids are different! My now 8 yr old spoke alot but not clearly as a 2 year old. He still talks like he has marbles in his mouth half the time & has been evluated at school & by a friend who is a speach therapist & there isn’t a problem. He had a vast vocabulary of large words because we have always talked to him like an adult. Which I think was part of his issue when he was younger because he wanted to use words that were hard to say like “appropriate”. My 2 year old is the total opposite. Talked early clearly useing full sentences with large words. My nephew is 20days younger than him & no where near his speed in the use of words, but he can build with regular size Legos & do small motor things my kid can’t. Every child grows & learns differntly. Every parent knows their child & knows if they think there is an issue. If you think there is a problem have it checked! If you think it’s fine keep doing what your doing. Just because a Dr. Says something doesn’t mean you have to follow it or believe it (like keeping your child rear facing till 2, that would have been impossible & unsafe for my tall child). Your dr only knows what they can see & what you tell them. Get a second opinion, use your best judgement & make choices based on what you think your child needs!!

71. by NoAdditives

On March 16, 2012 at 4:20 pm

My son will be 2 next month and has been saying all of these (except “more” and “all gone”) since he was about 18 months old. He also knows all the colors, shapes, is counting, knows the alphabet and each letter’s sounds, and has a huge vocabulary including a wide variety of animal and other sounds. He’s also been saying two word phrases for months, color-object combos are his favorite. To contrast this, my daughter stopped talking at 18 months and didn’t talk again until she was 2. At 3 1/2 she’s finally getting better about her pronunciation.

72. by Mary Lou Johnson

On March 16, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I agree with Melanie. I’m a speech-language pathologist who has worked with young children for 36 years. Without seeing the research, we can’t know how these particular words were selected. The take-away message for parents of young language learners is that children do need to have a speaking vocabulary of approximately 50 words before they start combining words to express themselves. It is also important that those early words are from different categories such as names of people, names of things, modifiers, social words, action words, and perhaps some “sound-effects” words. A child should be picking up the names of his or her favorite or most frequent foods, toys, people, actions, etc. So–look for some variety in the types of words used as you keep a list of your child’s early words.

73. by Mary Lou Johnson

On March 16, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Words are important for adults, too, especially when they are spelled correctly! Since some parents may want to follow my link to learn more about how to help their children build a vocabulary and learn to talk better, it is important for me to spell correctly my web site name that is linked to my name. In this post I have fixed the error in my previous post. There are some great techniques parents can use in everyday interactions with their children to help them “crack the code” of language and speech production.

74. by Gretchen

On March 17, 2012 at 8:43 am

My daughter just turned 2 and can speak unlimited words – and she has been reading since 15 months – oh and for all you ridiculous jealous “mothers” – she is also autistic – are you still jealous?? What creeps you are. You would love me once you heard my poor daughter is autistic, but once someone tells you something amazing – the green skins starts perspiring and the nails start tearing accomplishments up. You are disgusting – a child is only worthy if he/she is having issues, but a parent should shut up and try to dummy down their child if they are brilliant. For all you disgusting mothers – my child is both brilliant and autistic!

75. by T G

On March 19, 2012 at 1:48 am

I want to recommend ‘Your Baby Can Read’ by Dr Titzer. My daughter went from a limp raised hand to a full arm wave and clearly spoken ‘Hi!’ and clapping in less than a wk! (Online, Bed Bath & beyond, Costco, etc.) We only watched the video a couple times. I only wish I had started sooner & kept up with it. Knowing many babies & toddlers, I have found sign language, speaking Everything you do, and reading every night to be the most helpful. I also noticed a big difference in not complying with just grunts, whines & gestures. Hopefully that helps someone. :)

76. by J

On March 24, 2012 at 7:50 am

I have 2 girls that are close in age. The oldest is 33 months and the youngest is 14 months. They love each other and play well together (mostly), but they are both different. My oldest started talking at 4 months and used full sentences around a year old. My youngest didn’t even start talking to around a year old, but she started crawling and walking at an earlier age than the older one did.

The doctor said my oldest has advanced vocabulary for her age. I know people hate TV, but it has been helpful. I’m not talking about court shows or soaps – but actual children’s programming. Nick Jr is popular at my house. I think it does help with language. My older daughter knows words or concepts that I didn’t teach her because she learned it from a TV show. I can tell them something, but what do I know, I’m just mom? They see characters they like on TV doing the same thing, and suddenly they get it. My kids both learned about sharing before they were 1 from shows like Yo Gabba Gabba. That’s not to say they always share. TV doesn’t replace you, but it can be a good tool.

My youngest is not talking as much as her sister did at that age, but she’s still smart and she understands. She likes to walk you over and show you what she wants. It might not be verbal, but she is still communicating. Yes, the older one talks a lot for her. In this case, I think it is good to make sure the little one gets some alone time with you. She loves doing what her big sister does, but she likes to practice and get confidence first without her sister around. She’s different with me than with her sister.

The two girls are just different.

25 words are arbitrary. It depends on your life, but these words are a guide line. It may be more helpful to think of them as concepts rather than words. Maybe you didn’t teach your kid bye-bye. Maybe you taught your kid good-bye? Same difference.

77. by kao

On March 24, 2012 at 8:52 pm

my daughter is 2 1/2..when she turned 2 she wasnt saying much..mostly babbling..at her 2 year check up her doctor wanted to see her in 6months to check her speech..she didnt think it was enough at the time to send her to early intervention. we went back last month and she is doing wayy better with her speech.i noticed it too at home, she talks more and trys to copy what i say or what anybody says for that matter. i think alot has to do is she now has a best friend who is 1 week older then her but has to vocab of a 3 1/2 year old, she talks a ton and is really vocal..lol..my daughter hang out with her atleast 2 times aweek so shes always trying to copy her.. next week we do have a early intervention meeting to see if my daughter needs any help but when i went last month to her doctor she said she doesnt think she does(but they will send a referral just to be sure) she says some kids just talk at their own pace,and since my child is very very into physical thing(climbing,jumping,shes been able to pedal a bike at the age of 2,building things and puzzles,etc) that she spends more of her time mastering those things then talking..
    if your child doesnt talk much try teaching him/her sign language..i started ASL with my daughter when she was 1 1/2 and still to this day she signs as well as talks or if she cant say the word she will sign it,its very very helpful..also if possible let your kid hangout with other kids alittle older who is vocal and talks alot, kids feed off each other (her friend isnt into climbing or jumping like my daughter is but when they hang out she trys to keep up with her lol)
    but dont worry..your toddler will talk sooner or later :)

78. by Blair

On March 26, 2012 at 11:10 am

My son started talking right at 1 year if not sooner and he was a preemie. He is now 2 and talks up a storm..full sentences and can count to 12 and say his alphabet and knows primary colors and animals and lots more! I am a stay at home mom and studied teaching in college so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it didn’t hurt. Every child is different and learns at their own pace. I also let my son watch KET all the time..he has learned so much from those shows and he still listens to classical music for his nap and bedtime music…I have read great things about doing that.

79. by JR

On April 2, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Glad a few people have mentioned that experiences can change the word list. My little guy is 22 months and barely knows what juice is. We only gave it to him once when he had the flu so it’s not part of his vocab. He’s an only child for a few more weeks and did a lot ahead of his peers in some areas, and was “behind” in others. He was physically more active and developed earlier than some of my friends’ kids but some of them were more verbal. It just depends on the child.

Also, as it’s been pointed out, it does not necessarily have any bearing on future success. A professor once told me of a family friend who didn’t speak until she was over 4. They thought there was something seriously wrong, although no tests could confirm it. After 4 years of silence, at Thanksgiving dinner one day she said perfectly, “excuse me but may I please have some mashed potatoes?”. She was completely fluent, just chose not to speak. Now she’s a journalist and uses words for a living.

80. by Virginia

On April 6, 2012 at 1:13 pm

My nephew is 26 months and doesn’t speak very much yet. He can say Da-da and ba-ba,and he can do a couple animal sounds, other than that he doesn’t speak. He grunts and points and seems to understand everything you say to him. I am concerned about him and wondering how to approach the subject with his parents or if I even should.

Thank you.

81. by Kelsey

On April 7, 2012 at 12:12 am

I have twin nephews that are 2 &when they come to visit they do not speak at all. I asked my mother if that is normal, but I think they are just shy. from what I’ve been told they are complete chatter-boxes at home. I believe they simply do not see me often enough to be entirely comfortable talking up a storm. however, they are extremely active, always playing and getting into things. I guess they are just quiet.

as for me, I do not have a 2year old. my daughter is 6months old obviously she doesn’t talk yet, but even at this age she understands a good handful of words and concepts and currently she can sit by herself, can stand with little support, she can also say “poop” & laugh. grandpa taught her that it is a joke on momma. lucky me ;)

none-the-less everyday has been so fun and amazing to see how much she learns every single day. I love to sit and watch her little “wheels turning”.
    everybody has somebody to be proud of… and to consider yourself (&your opinion) more important than the next person reading this article, is wrong. I like reading everyone’s opinions it’s a great reference for me for learn what to expect as my baby grows older.

after-all, I am just thankful to be sitting here without a wad of bunched up panties, seeing as most everyone else has developed one from reading this Article/thread.

82. by Kelsey

On April 7, 2012 at 12:18 am

*correction:
    **it’s a great reference for me, to learn what to expect as my baby grows older****

83. by twin mama

On April 12, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I have twin 17 month girls. I see their cousin who just turn 2 years talk a lot. I questioned their development, especially reading all these articles and also working in the social field. I’ve come to the conclusion, these articles are great guild lines and sometimes reminders. Everyone is different, and learn at different paces, however this article is great to inform others that if you feel there is a concern with your child development, that there are services out there to aid. With that being said, a mothers intuition is sometimes best.
    With twins, they sometimes develop their own language, also my girls uses a lot of hand gesture and says the oddest words. One daughter said the word apple at 12 months, however refuses to say mommy (even thought they said it before). Words are great, but overall comprehension is important as well.

84. by Oliver's mom

On April 23, 2012 at 11:26 am

Your all animals.

The article said 25 out of 50 words. Be real, it’s a guideline. If your kid doesn’t drink juice they probably won’t say it. Mine dOsent drink it. Not the end of the world. Some kids will say some of these, all of them, more or less. Yes, it’s okay!

The point was, FYI, if you were wondering at what age your child should do what, say what… Here is an idea. A jumping off point. Work with your kids kinda list. Yes everyone learns at their own rate. I have two boys who are very different.

BUT 1. If your a new parent who honestly needs a reference it’s a place to start. 2. If your a parent who is to any degree Concerned, here you go. 3. This should be a warning/wake up call to parents who have a two year old, or older who speaks little or not at all. YOU should care! YOU should be concerned! Don’t hate on others for seeking information!

My 8 year old spoke when he was 11 months old, my 19 month old babbles and I don’t have a clue what he says! Even though I know he understands everything I tell him… I’d still live to hear ‘mama’. Who wouldn’t? Be kind, or shut it.

85. by arianna

On June 25, 2012 at 6:25 pm

i have a almost 2 yr old boy and he was a premee my 6 weeks. he has been saying theese words since he was one. i have just worked with him everyday. he can identify all his body parts can count to 5 and knows my and my husbands real names. he also know his grandparents and uncles by name. i was reading this more so to find out that he is on track. now i can see he is thanks to the publisher. and i will continue working with him and hopefully by this time next year he will be even farther .

86. by Jessica G

On July 5, 2012 at 8:10 am

It is not my fault that my child, who is not even two years old yet, can speak better than some of your 2 or 2 1/2 year olds. Oh wait, maybe it IS my fault. It’s my fault because I spend LOTS of time reading to him, lots of time interacting with singing games and conversation and NOT sitting him in front of the TV, lots of time asking him to speak and repeat. He can count to ten, sing nursery rhymes and speaks in relatively well formed short sentences now. I am PROUD of my child and I am commenting because I believe that it is important to note that children develop differently, and that in my experience, spending lots of time reading to my child, singing games and speaking/repeating have worked well, but I do spend at least 2 hours per day doing these activities with my child. Perhaps this method would work for some of you. Those of you who are judging are just envious of my child’s accomplishments vs. your child’s. Get off of the computer and go spend time teaching your child…then I will look forward to seeing your BRAGGING posts about how well your child is doing. Best of luck

87. by writermommy

On July 6, 2012 at 7:25 am

I apologoze in advance for tupos. I am on my kjndle and it is hard to type!!! Anyway, My 23 month old can say 75 plus words but is not combining yet. Iher receptive language is above average however. If I told her at age 18 months, go get your baby and jher bottle please, etc she could do it. At 18 months she was speaking only 15 words and her pediatrician said over 25 was the norm for that age. So I freaked of course…I mean I was doing everything! Reading every night since birth, playing games, asking her to chose between milk or water etc. U name ot I was doing it and she started talking when SHE was ready not when I was ready!!! I do not get why we want to put a genius label on our children. My brother was a gifted genuis according to testing and he is an addict and in jail now. My 7 year old has not beeb labeled as gifted, but very bright and she is spring through school with straight a grades. I would rather just a normal smart child than the headaches my mom had to deal with with a genius child!!! Let’s be grateful for the talents each of our children have…they ALL WILL HAVE TALENTS!!!! And Jessica, please do not think that these moms are not doing the same great things as you. It is not their fault at all if a speech delay is present!!!! That was an ugly thing to say and just as I was going to defend u, I read ur last post and changed my mind.

88. by writermommy

On July 6, 2012 at 7:29 am

Typos not tupos, lol see? a typo in the first sentence!!

89. by writermommy

On July 6, 2012 at 7:35 am

**typos not tupos!!! Lol, see? A typo in the first sentence! Kindle autocorrects into nonsense words as well. A big pain to go fix it all. Sorry!!

90. by Gwendolyn

On July 12, 2012 at 2:57 am

My son is 21/2 yrs old he an only child and I talk to him about everything! Him talking to me is like playing charades!! He throws in some word, sounds,pointing and actions. Do I wish he talked more? yes I do. he sees a picture of a dog and says woof woof I say you see a dog.say dog. He looks at me smiles says woof woof and laughs and walks away. He understands everything I say so im not really worried about it. And he will not talk around others at all! kids are kids they learn from us were suppose to teach them. I agree you should ask a dr if you think something’s wrong but don’t rush to them because your kid doesn’t say cookie. We need to all just take a deep breath and let our kids be kids. It’s not a competition. Be kind, show our children how to respect others by being respectful. A few of the parents on here need a time out. Some need a old fashion spanking.

91. You really make it appear really easy together with your presentation but I in finding this topic to be actually something which I believe I’d never understand. It sort of feels too complex and very huge for me. I am looking ahead in your subsequent post, I’ll attempt to get the grasp of it!

92. by Melissa

On July 27, 2012 at 9:06 pm

My grandson will be.2 in 4 days … He jibber jabbers and can say dada that’s about it .. He has said what and Becky (his great Aunt) and tries to say my dogs name Georgia but mainly comes out gg … But other then that he don’t talk … He knows what things mean when we talk to him he knows no and give it here and stop it and give me 5 and give me hugs things like that he knows who granny (me) and papaw and peoples names when we say them… So we know he.dont have a hearing prob… And he’s smart he knows where papaw keeps his candy and lil things like that we have.taught him when he.comes to visit… I guess I want to know what we can do to help him start talking… Any help would be appreciated

93. by LisaK

On July 30, 2012 at 9:05 pm

WOW…it’s crazy to read everyone’s responses to a simple question. I am a first time Mom & stay at home full time with my 2 year old. I just brought him in for his 2 year well visit. His doctor said he is very bright. He is a very cautious little fella. Believe me…I work with him constantly (singing, reading, playing, building, coloring, talking, cooking, etc). I was a very early talker. My husband was a late talker. Our son babbles constantly and knows several words, animal sounds, vehicle sounds, etc. I’ve always wondered if he should be saying more, but usually people say that all kids talk at different times. He knows everything we are talking about and follows directions well. My concern was that he hasn’t really added too many new words to his vocabulary in the last few months. Part of me has been scared to check out early intervention, because I don’t want to hear that my son is delayed. I do feel like it would be a reflection on me. But, I seriously don’t know what else I could be doing. I love my little guy so much & can’t wait to hear him speak more and more to us. Our doctor said we could give our Early On a call and get an evaluation, just to see what they say. So, I guess I will!

94. [...] read more about where I got the Pinspiration for this, check out this article.) New words Emma says at 23 [...]

95. by Shay

On August 6, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I actually found this article made me feel “ok” about where my daughter stands on speech. She was born 16 weeks early and is now 26 months old. The doctors no longer adjust for her prematurity now that she has turned 2, so she’s expected to be caught up and at a level that other 2 year olds are at. She says all these words, and more! I’ve always tried to not compare her to children her age because she was born so early, but speech is the one thing that really concerns me as it can be more indicitive of a problem with the brain. Thank you for giving me some sort of comfort that she’s on the right track!

96. by Anisha

On August 8, 2012 at 11:04 am

@ everyone…. I am very fortunate with my daughter, but am currently pregnant with a second child, so the reason i looked at this site was to remind myself what is “normal” so not to expect to much.

I would like to say in Jessica’s defense, i did not feel offended by her comment… it was a little braggy but… who has not boasted about the pride they feel for their child? MAYBE not every child develops at the same speed… But i am also sure you have put up pictures of how beautiful your baby is, or maybe how your child eats all of his/her fruits and veggies while others are struggling with a birth defect or a toddler throwing everything on the floor.. WE ARE ALL GUILTY of bragging. It is because we love our kids no matter what others think.
    I was actually more offended that instead of useful information all i received from this page was trash talk on a woman who is proud of her child.

97. by Valerie

On August 13, 2012 at 6:56 pm

This article, like many on language development, is annoying. Yes, two-year olds should be saying more than 25 words. Frankly, if your two-year old isn’t saying any of 25 words, you should be concerned. But really…a specific 25 words? This list is culturally specific. What if your kid doesn’t drink juice? Why would she know let alone use the word ‘juice’? Same with bananas or hats? Or what if there is no daddy around? Children are all different and are exposed to language in different ways. Saying a child has to say a specific 25 words or they are abnormal and need evaluation is irresponsible.

98. by Cierra

On August 20, 2012 at 9:53 pm

My 2 in a half year old is speaking more then 25 words she says 5-7 word sentences. Im not calling her a genius by no means lol and im not saying she is smarter then others but all kids are different and some learn faster then others! My nephew is not catching on to his words as fast as my daughter did but he is very smart in his own way :)

99. by Wacekmama

On September 4, 2012 at 8:37 am

Seriously, you guys need to stop judging other parents. I’ve got an extremely bright two year old autistic kid with severe sensory issues. He can echo, but dosen’t use any words. Can you imagine where he would be if I had “just let him grow out of it”? He won’t eat much of anything because of his sensory issues which means his dietician is asking me to give him extra butter, extra whole milk, lots of desserts and crackers and other “junky” foods just to get enough calories into his little 20 pound frame. And if he learns the word “cookie” I should worry about him becoming a fat slob?!! I hear from parents like you that it’s my fault for not breast feeding (ever try to breast feed a sensory kid who can’t stand body contact? I pumped full time for a full year!) or my fault for not eating the right things while pregnant. Tell me about your kid? Fine. But tell me that kids who don’t meet the guidelines have lazy/stupid parents and I’m coming after you.

100. by JoAnne

On September 5, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I can’t believe how far off the path so many of you have gotten. I have found that children learn different things at different paces and sometimes focus on one skill first. My daughter could say 12 words at 10 months old but she didn’t walk till she was 14 months old. Don’t compare your child to someone elses and if you think there is a problem by all means talk to your doctor!

101. by Linda

On September 11, 2012 at 12:56 am

My 2 year old daughter is one of the smartest little girls I have ever meet, however until her 2nd birthday she didn’t say but 5 words, in less than 2 weeks she went from 5 words to over a 100 and is bilinguel. I had people telling me she might have autism based only on her language, the key to ” motherly worries” is that you should always trust your instincts. If you are worried go for a free speech screening, if you are anything like me, you worry about every little thing. These forums are great but not for people who worry, every child learns at a different pace. I was shocked that my daughter started speaking English and Spanish over night, some children need to soak the language in before they start talking. From one mother to another I recommend enjoying every minute while your babies are small we will never get this time back.

102. by Celia

On September 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I really have mixed feelings about “checklist” posts like this one. While I’ll recognize that it is well-intentioned, we have to keep in mind the power of such wording as is found in the title–especially for first time mothers facing a lot of unknown, and in our ridiculously competitive culture. It also ignores cultural variations, and the increasing number of bilingual children.

The(1) 25(2) words a 2-year-old should(3) be saying”??

(1) First of all, people (especially worried mothers) can be a bit too literal in the face of such “critical” things as a child’s development and lose a sense of perspective. Perhaps it would be useful to qualify this article by reminding everyone that your family’s specific environment should be taken into account to generate a list that is more adapted to your child. Personally, there is no way my kid would have said “juice” or “cookie” at that age, considering he never ate/drank any, they weren’t found in our house, and we didn’t have TV for him to hear about it. See what I mean? “the” 25 words don’t have to be those. Culture and lifestyle determine what we hear and talk about.

(2) Moreover, because we are in this American society SO very concerned with getting a headstart and having the best opportunities laid out for our kids, looking for signs of greatness or defects where they aren’t necessarily is a risk. We like to label things and people and put them in little boxes. It helps us make sense of the world because we like to quantify things. Rate them on a scale. Compare percentiles. Etc. please don’t get paranoid because your kid at 2 says 5 words or start calling gifted programs because she makes full sentences.

(3)My son, at 29-month-old, was referred to a developmental specialist for his apparent sensory sensitivity, slight clumsiness (although he walked at 10 months), some odd repetitive behaviors, and major speech delay. He was diagnosed as having “PDDNOS”, aka “pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified”, aka “we think he’s not normal but we don’t know what it is; come back in a few years”.
    We were really, really spooked. He was being raised in a bilingual household and although he only knew about 60 words at 29 months and didn’t form even simple sentences, but he knew shapes, numbers, the alphabet, and could not only read but put together simple words with his foam letters during bath time. He was loving and funny and we had other ways to communicate.

A few months later he finally hit his language explosion, and we haven’t been able to shut him up since. He also eventually outgrew his dislike for certain tactile sensations, and naturally stopped some of the repetitive behaviors he used to get so engrossed in as a toddler. He had so much energy that he was always on the move and we channeled that into sports, which he has become quite good at, especially football and track.

Today, all we know is we have a smart and compassionate 10-year-old with ADHD who doesn’t have a trace of a “developmental disorder”, is learning coping mechanisms to best utilize the gift that is the unique wiring of his brain, excels at academics and sports, has great friends, a wonderful imagination and speaks two languages. So… “what he “should” have said at 2 years of age (and didn’t) really was zero indication of what he would turn out to be. Was is important to keep track of it? Sure, I won’t deny that.

My point is: while you want to keep an eye on broad milestones and be aware of your child’s progress in various areas of development, please do not start panicking just because he/she doesn’t speak as much or can’t kick a ball as well as other kids around his/her age. All our children are different, and unless you see blatant, BLATANT signs that something is off, it might simply be that your kid is growing at their own pace. Beware of making them feel like they are not meeting your expectations. *That* could be the most harmful thing in all this.

103. by Sibon Gwapo

On September 23, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I’m really glad that I came accross your blog. As i’ve read this blog article of yours, I couldn’t concur extra. Thank you for the details which you share. Unquestionably proper. You might have pointed out the most crucial details which should be emphasized. I am searching ahead to studying your long term blogs. Thank you, Cheers mate!

104. by electronic cigarettes company

On September 25, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Hi, I’m glad I came accross your site. You have wonderful thoughts and ideas mentioned in your blog and I’m amazed with it. Thank you for sharing useful infomation to us readers. I’m looking forward to reading any of your future blog posts related with this topic. If you happened to have some extra time, you may visit my blogs as well. You’re so much welcome over there. Thank you.

105. by Sandy

On October 22, 2012 at 9:33 am

Not sure if this was mentioned, but I read that if your let your child watch TV it will affect their development . I tried to limit the amount of time my 2 year old was in front of tv to about 1/2 hr a day . She is 2 now and she talks a lot.

106. by em

On October 27, 2012 at 10:43 pm

good lord. it’s already clear that the comments here say more about the moms than they do about child development, so here’s a comment about me:
    i have a two year old little boy who does not talk. we don’t know why he doesn’t talk. i have uncles and cousins who had similar delays, or so i’m told. he’s a sweet boy who actually taught himself the alphabet by sight, though he can’t say more than a few letters (and no, those don’t count as “words”). his pediatrician was concerned about his speech delay for quite some time before i followed up with any services. why? because i wanted to believe that “all kids are different” and “he’ll grow out of it.” but that’s not fair to him. if there is a problem, he’ll benefit from the increased attention and if there isn’t, there’s no harm done. it’s not about “being competitive.” and having worked with the therapists now, it’s not about money either. it’s hard to get services in this economy because of tax cuts. everything is suffering and we were fortunate to qualify, they don’t just shoehorn as many kids as possible into most programs (though, i’m sure there are exceptions, as there always are). so far, i can tell you that the experience has been great. i wish i had pursued services sooner. at 2, he’s made some great new friends and i’m learning better techniques to prompt speech. so if any moms are reading this who are concerned, by all means, get more information. do not feel like you’re being pushy, you’re the parent. it’s your job to help your child when they need it. and if your kid doesn’t need help, just know that you’re incredibly lucky not to have to deal with these questions. they are emotionally draining. there might be a lot of resources for kids with delays, but it’s very hard to find a community that helps parents sort out their feelings about pursuing them. please keep that in mind when you read comments like the ones on this thread.

107. by Blog | Things Emma Says (and does) | 23 Months

On November 2, 2012 at 7:29 am

[...] (To read more about where I got the Pinspiration for this, check out this article.) [...]

108. by Jaleesa

On November 12, 2012 at 12:46 pm

My daughter is about to be 34 months she doesn’t talk in complete sentences but she knows most of these words and them some. She knows her ABCs, she can count to 10, she knows her primary colors, she knows the parts of her body as well. To some people standards I need to take her to speech therapy but people are always telling me how advanced she is and yet she is not talking in complete sentences like some but she understands what I say and she knows how to communicate what age wants and needs. You know if your child is fine or is behind. This articles aggravate me I don’t know why I continue to read them. She walked late and I took her to a specialist she was fine she just wanted to do things in her own time.

109. by Kari Woods

On November 13, 2012 at 5:42 pm

My daughter will be 2 in a half on December 9th. From looking at those words, she says only 5 of those words. She is a very smart girl for her age and she was born 12 days early. I dont think there is anything wrong with her. She will learn at her own pace. I simply do not care about people bragging about their child. Because you can brag all you want about how your child is this and that. I can tell when my daughter wants something because she can show me with her hands and gestures. I only have one child; so with that being said, she will learn at her own pace. She does not have any brothers or sisters who live with her. My daughter knows how to say Olivia, Dora, Hi, mama, dada, Cory, and mmhmm. I am sure there are a few more. She knows how to say some numbers. So she is very smart. I don’t care what anyone says.

110. by G. Drexel

On November 19, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Albert EINSTEIN (arguably, one of the most influential geniuses of recorded history) did not speak a single word until he was 3 years old. In his words, he ‘chose’ to speak when he ‘decided’ that there was something worth saying. My advice: be patient and offer ALL of the encouragement that you can afford, and then a little-bit more.

111. by Things Emma Says (and does) | 23 Months

On December 5, 2012 at 7:20 am

112. by Val

On December 17, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Hmmmm…good list. However, these are a good general guideline, which needs to consider what words are being said around the child. I wonder how old the list is since pediatricians are now recommending children not receive juice under the age of two (or maybe older), so that word is not in my daughter’s vocabulary along with cookie. The child will mimic or voice what she/he hears most often, so I was told not to worry about the specific “hot button” words, but to keep a running tally of the words she says. She picks up on my vernacular, so I am not worried that she is missing some of these words.

113. by Alannah

On February 1, 2013 at 8:57 am

I found this list to be helpful, a few of the words my son says a different word for like cat is kitty and dog is puppy. he is 2 and half and sometimes i feel like he isnt talking like he should be, and this reassures me that even if he is behind its just fine because he will learn at his own speed.

114. by Emme

On February 14, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Wow. I am trying to conceive, and I love reading parenting articles and comments from other parents. I want to do the best job possible even though you can’t ever completely prepare!

It’s kind of sad though. I (stupidly) thought something happened to you once you became a parent. I thought you grew up, reorganized your priorities, had a grander perspective, but from reading these comments I see it’s all the same high school BS. Perfect.

115. by Keri

On March 4, 2013 at 10:17 am

I personally think that a kids vocabulary depends on their environment… What they watch, what they eat, what they play with, & their everyday words. My little girl is 23 months old and loves to watch Dora so she knows just about every song and can sing them clearly but she wouldn’t know how to use most of the words to describe other things. She knows her body parts, & her fruit names. But only because everyday I worked with her on her body parts & the fruit names she must have picked up from school. She can also pick out letters on shirts and signs and tell you what they are because when I read her books ill show them to her and say them and she will repeat and eventually memorize. It’s all about what they are around, & what they watch. She can also names things she eats. Her favorites are muffins, cookies, & ice. So she’ll say them (not in a complete sentence) when she wants one. We have a dog and cat so of course she can say that. & then people’s name she heard everyday. Of course a child can’t say words they never or rarely hear. & it also depends on learning style. Some kids don’t learn as quickly as others but that in no way means they are “slow”. Every kid is unique and definitely a blessing from God.

116. by Brenda

On March 12, 2013 at 7:55 pm

My 21 month old does not say all those words but he says a majority of them. However, he speaks in 3-4 word sentences and communicates with us very well. I don’t worry too much about his two year old vocabulary because of his ability to consistently speak sentences and carry on short conversations. Each parent needs to take into consideration the way their child communicates verbally before jumping to conclusions.

117. by brooke

On March 16, 2013 at 8:26 am

My child’s pediatrician told me that their language begins exploding around 2 and as long as they can say about 15-20 words that it is much more about the child comprehending what you say. And Jessica there is nothing wrong with bragging on your child however you can not blame all children’s lack of progress on bad parenting. Be appreciative that you have such a gifted child and that you don’t have to go through the struggles that many parents face having to deal with numerous therapists and etc. My stepdaughter gave birth at 25 weeks to a baby girl that is almost 3 now and can’t stand or walk and says only a few words and my stepdaughter is an amazing parent who has 2 children now goes to school full time and is planning a wedding and she has seen her daughter make amazing progress with the help of many specialists and weekly therapy. So instead of bragging about what a superior parent you are be thankful that you haven’t had to face the challenges some other people have and be thankful for your child.

118. by Elizabeth

On April 23, 2013 at 8:30 pm

As an audiologist who has worked with pediatrics for the past 8 years, it is always frustrating to me when parents / pediatricians say ‘oh it’s just because boys talk later!’ Etc etc etc. These guidelines exist for a reason-so we can get an indication if something is wrong. While I do not agree with a specific word list due to cultural differences, the general guideline that a 2 year old should be saying approximately 50 words and beginning to combine 2 word sentences is a good one. Of course that does change in a bilingual home. Of course, your child may be developing at a different rate, but isn’t it worth it to make sure there is nothing wrong? A hearing loss or speech delay is not something we wish on your child,, but it is proven to be something that has a worse and worse impact the longer it goes untreated. It is easy to screen for both of these. By the way, studies have shown that one of the best ways for you to foster language development is to talk incessantly to your child, describing everything you are doing all of the time, and encouraging any sort of response from him/her. I have a 20 month old and have seen this work in her language development -she is thankfully very, very verbal. Good luck to all!

119. [...] two – though recent research suggests that a more telling indicator may be functional use of 25 words by that age. Perhaps less attention is typically given to language milestones at later ages – [...]