Fia’s Not Sleeping Through The Night Anymore: Why Do Toddlers Do This?

My fellow blogger Jill Cordes recently shared that her daughter Fia is waking up at night, after nearly 20 months of sound sleeping. And as a parent who dealt with this myself not that long ago, I had a good (sympathetic!) laugh at Jill’s take on Fia’s new sleep tent. Although Jill’s family is in the middle of big transitions (like moving from the East Coast to the West Coast), what caught my eye was Fia’s current age – she’s 23 months. And the reason for that is toddlerhood is a developmental period when the biology of sleep starts to change dramatically, and as a result, sleep methods often need to be revisited. Here’s why.

When babies fall asleep, they tend to fall into the REM phase – which is the part of the sleep cycle where you can dream, but your body doesn’t move (you are zonked out). As babies turn into toddlers, they start to adapt more adult-like patterns of sleep, in which they cycle between light and deep sleep. The result is that the perfectly sleep-trained toddler (it doesn’t matter how they have been trained) starts to experience the part of the sleep cycle when they wake up out of nowhere – sometimes repeatedly. It can be very disorienting for them, particularly since they don’t have much experience in getting themselves back to sleep when they wake up from light sleep. So they do what any rational toddler would do – they cry for you. (Click here if you want to read more about kids’ sleep issues).

As Jill discussed, there are lots of other things that go on with toddlers that can mess with their sleep. In addition to life transitions, the newly independent toddler may want to rebel against sleep (amongst other things). But it’s good to keep in mind that there is some biology that is driving this, and so even though it’s discouraging when it happens, it’s not unusual. And one more thing – what worked before doesn’t necessarily work as well now. So sometimes those inclined to use Ferber find they need to modify it some as their kid gets older (not all do, of course). And some who used alternate methods sometimes gravitate more to the Ferber end of the spectrum (not all do, of course). I’m no sleep expert, but this is why my mantra is “sleep outcomes – not sleep methods – matter most” – whatever gets kids to get the amount of sleep they need is good for them and good for their parents.

So I hope things go well for Jill and Fia. I look forward to following their story. I’d like to offer some specific tips or advice, but the thing is, when I was dealing with this, we ended up throwing our hands up in the air and headed for the nearest pediatric sleep clinic. It worked wonders.

Back To Red-Hot Parenting
  1. by Evening Feeding: Is The Economy The Best Birth Control?

On November 17, 2011 at 5:25 pm

[...] Why do toddlers not sleep through the night? (Parents.com) [...]

2. by Heather Morgan Shott

On November 18, 2011 at 1:01 pm

My heart just broke a little, Richard. Mason has always gone down beautifully, but it took me about 12 months to get him to sleep through the night (and sometimes that does involve him waking up and self-soothing until he falls back to sleep). Not looking forward to a possible (likely?) wrinkle in what I thought was a done deal!!

3. by chapman chevrolet

On December 31, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Hi there! Quick question that’s totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when viewing from my iphone 4. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to resolve this problem. If you have any suggestions, please share. With thanks!

4. by myp2p

On February 2, 2012 at 3:43 pm

An remarkable share, I just provided this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact purchased me breakfast because I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for your treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to talk about this, I feel strongly about it and adore studying far more on this subject. If achievable, as you grow to be experience, would you thoughts updating your weblog with even more details? It can be highly useful for me. Major thumb up for this blog post!

5. by breast actives reviews

On October 3, 2012 at 3:13 am

Hello.. Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your online site is cool. I’m impressed by the important points that you have here. It shows how properly you understand this kind of subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for extra articles. Anyone, my

6. by Nanci Hightree

On January 30, 2013 at 2:42 pm

i am just fully agree with your opinion very same as in your article

7. by seemeinhereone33

On April 22, 2013 at 11:33 pm

why don’t I have all share or mediahub? I do have the new update and no more are available.

8. [...] change – sometimes age-related changes in sleep patterns can be disruptive to them. Many toddlers experience shifting sleep patterns in part because they become aware of the different stages of sleep. Put another way, they realize [...]