Posts Tagged ‘ button batteries ’

Report: Button Batteries Pose Increasing Danger to Kids

Friday, August 31st, 2012

A new report from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) provides more evidence of the dangers of tiny button batteries. Used to power television remotes, toys, hearing aids, greeting cards and more, the batteries are sending a growing number of children to the emergency room.

The CPSC report found that between 1997 and 2010, 40,000 children under age 13 visited emergency rooms after swallowing the tiny batteries, and 14 children died. The number of children treated for ingesting the batteries increased 2.5-fold during this period, HealthDay News reports.

The batteries pose the biggest threat if they get stuck in a child’s esophagus, where they can cause serious burns in as little as two hours and fatal bleeding after two weeks, the CPSC report said.

If you see a child swallow a battery, or suspect he has, it’s important to visit the emergency room right away; significant damage can occur quickly, Dr. Amanda Porro, a pediatrician at Miami Children’s Hospital, told HealthDay News. She urges parents to store the batteries out of the reach of children.

The CPSC wants products with button batteries to be designed so that kids can’t access the batteries. Senator Jay Rockefeller IV, (D-W.Va.), introduced a bill last year that would require all products with button batteries to be childproof.

Image: Button batteries via Shutterstock.

 

Add a Comment
Back To Parents News Now

Study Tracks Serious Health Risks of Button Batteries

Monday, May 14th, 2012

Children’s emergency room visits related to swallowed batteries have risen an astounding 113 percent over the past 20 years, with a child under age 18 arriving at an ER every 90 minutes, a new study published in the journal Pediatrics has found.  The study, which was conducted by Center for Injury Research and Policy of The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, found that batteries, especially the small, flat “button batteries” that are found in so many electronic devices, can pose serious health risks, and can cause death if they become lodged in the esophagus.

Three-quarters of the hospital visits are for children ages 5 and under, with the greatest number involving 1-year-olds.  Most of the batteries, when their origin is known, do not come from toys or children’s games; they come from their parents’ watches, calculators, and other electronics.

Research advise parents to prevent battery-related injuries in their families by taking the following steps:

  • Tape the battery compartments of all household devices shut.
  • Store batteries and products with batteries out of the reach of young children.
  • Be aware of this potential danger when your child is visiting other homes.

Image: Button batteries, via Shutterstock.

Add a Comment
Back To Parents News Now