Three Lawsuits Against Former Elmo Puppeteer Kevin Clash Are Dismissed

Yesterday, a New York federal judge tossed out three lawsuits against former Sesame Street employee Kevin Clash. Three
men alleged that Clash had sexually abused them when they were underage. The plaintiffs said that they had not realized they were victimized until last year, when they initially found out about one another. More from NBC News:

In their claims against Clash, who resigned from “Sesame Street” in November after 28 years, the plaintiffs said they had not realized they were victimized until they learned about each other last year, “and realized they were manipulated and it was an ongoing practice.”

But the judge ruled that the “plaintiffs were aware of sufficient facts immediately following their victimization by the defendant to state claims” sooner. ”They were aware of the facts that, while minors, the defendant had engaged in sexual activities with them in violation of one or more federal statutes,” Koeltl wrote. “The dates on which the plaintiffs connected their psychological injuries to their victimizations are irrelevant to the dates on which their claims accrued. … While the plaintiffs may not have recognized the extent of their injuries, they were aware of the defendant’s conduct towards them and could have brought claims.”

The three plaintiffs whose lawsuits have been dismissed are a 34-year-old Florida man who alleged Clash befriended him on a trip to Miami in the mid-1990s, and later arranged for the teenage boy to visit him in New York, where they engaged in sex for four days in Clash’s home; Kevin Kiadii, 26, of New York who said Clash initiated contact with him on a gay chat line when he was 16 and invited him to his apartment, where they engaged in sex; and 25-year-old Cecil Singleton of New York, who was the first man to come forward and alleged in November that he and Clash engaged in an on-and-off sexual relationship that began nine years ago.

Clash recently won a Daytime Emmy for outstanding performer in a children’s series and two others he shared with the show, totaling 26 total Emmys in his career. His work is still being shown on “Sesame Street” because it had been filmed in advance. Sesame Workshop declined to comment Monday.

Image: Cast and Crew of Sesame Street, via Shutterstock

Add a Comment
Back To Parents News Now