Texas Hospital Live-Tweets C-Section to Raise Awareness

In an apparent attempt to raise awareness and start conversations about what really happens during a Cesarean section, Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston, Texas took the unusual step of live-tweeting during an actual C-section procedure.  More from CBS Houston:

The team began tweeting live at about 7 a.m. after promoting the online procedure for days. They even developed a Twitter “hashtag” of “#MHbaby” to gain followers and promote discussion about the procedure on Twitter.

During Wednesday’s procedure, the hospital gained hundreds of followers; it’s not clear how many people watched the surgery.

Memorial Hermann Hospital is no stranger to using Twitter as a vehicle to broadcast their medical procedures. The hospital live tweeted a brain surgery last year and said that they gained 7,000 followers and more than 230,000 people viewed that procedure.

Image: Doctor on mobile device, via Shutterstock

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by Katlin

On February 22, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I hope the woman didn’t opt for the c-section just for this purpose. Hopefully it was medically necessary.

2. by Lisa Cook

On February 22, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I just DON’T understand the purpose of this. Are we trying to say that having a c-section is a good thing? Because it ISN’T and should be a last resort. It is the reason that the US has so many birth problems. We use it WAY WAY too often.

3. by Emily

On February 23, 2013 at 6:58 am

I would have done this during my C-section I had a horrible experience and if someone had tweeted all the gritty details maybe at least one person would have thought twice about an elective c section. (which mine was not)

4. by Andrea

On February 23, 2013 at 8:21 am

Is the point of the live tweeting trying to say women should get C-Sections instead of delivering naturally? If that is the case, if it isnt medically necessary, i think it only benefits the doc who wants to get things out of the way quickly… However, I do believe in medical emergencies, which actually happen a lot, c-sections are a blessing. Think about all the babies and women who died during childbirth because of complications, some of which are prevented because of the advancement of a c-section.

5. by Tiffany

On February 23, 2013 at 8:21 am

Elective c-sections should be illegal. It should be treated as child endagerment.
    I had 3 c-sections after 2 attempts to have natural. If you can’t bare the thought of having children on your own, don’t get pregnant.
    (By the way my 3 boys are perfect and healthy)

6. by Tiffany

On February 23, 2013 at 8:22 am

Oh and about the tweeting. As long as they have the parents consent I see no problem with it.

7. by Jessica Smock

On February 23, 2013 at 9:37 am

Of course, if someone consents to this, it’s her right. But I can’t imagine doing it. I don’t think elective c-sections should be encouraged, but I don’t know exactly what the medical definition of “elective” should be. (Mine was an emergency c-section. I wanted to refuse the c-section, but the doctor said it was necessary to save my baby’s life, whose heart rate had dropped during active labor because of a short umbilical cord.) I know women who were emotionally and physically spent after days of labor and just demanded a c-section because they couldn’t take it anymore. Is that an elective c-section? It seems like more should be done to encourage doctors to stop performing them too, for instance by not inducing labor unless absolutely necessary.

8. by Jen

On February 24, 2013 at 9:48 am

I chose to have an elective c-section instead of being induced as my doctor wanted when my baby was too big, I’d already delivered once before without any drugs other than pitocin and I knew that this baby would not be coming out the same way because he was too big to even engage. Instead of exposing him to 12+ hours of drugs and trauma, I chose to minimize the risks to both of us by having a controlled procedure, and after he was born the doctors confirmed my suspicions that he was too big for me to deliver any other way. Sometimes it is the right thing, and some of us do the research and learn all the facts and come to the conclusion that a c-section is best.

We should be more concerned with what is happening to cause all of these emergency c-sections. Rampant epidural use, the ever increasing attempts to self-induce at way too early points, alarming rates of gestational diabetes – instead of attacking mothers who have a legitimate reason to choose a c-section, try looking at why so many other mothers end up needing one.