Bouncy House Injuries on the Rise

The number of injuries that have happened on bouncy houses and other inflatable play structures is on the increase, growing 15-fold between 1995 and and 2010. A new study detailing the rise in injuries has led researchers to suggest that the government regulate the structures.

From a Nationwide Children’s Hospital press release announcing the study, which will be published in the journal Pediatrics:

A new study by researchers at the Center for Injury Research and Policy of The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital examined pediatric injuries associated with inflatable bouncers, such as bounce houses and moonwalks. Researchers found that from 1995 to 2010 there was a 15-fold increase in the number of inflatable bouncer-related injuries that were treated in U.S. emergency departments among children younger than 18 years of age. In 2010 alone, more than 30 children per day, or about one child every 45 minutes, were treated in hospital emergency departments for injuries associated with inflatable bouncers.

“The findings from this study show that there has been an alarming increase in the number of injuries from inflatable bouncers,” said Gary A. Smith, MD, DrPH, director of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. “It is time for us to take action to prevent these injuries. Ensuring that parents are aware of the potential risks, improving surveillance of the injuries, developing national safety guidelines and improving bouncer design are the first steps.”

Image: Bouncy house, via Shutterstock

Back To Parents News Now
  1. [...] Bouncy house injuries are on the rise. (Parents.com) [...]

2. by Tami

On December 16, 2012 at 10:17 am

Please include the recommendation that, “Until national safety guidelines are in place, parents should consider the risks before allowing their child to use an inflatable bouncer.  If parents allow their child to use an inflatable bouncer, they should consider limiting use to children 6 years of age and older, requiring that an adult be present to supervise while the bouncer is in use and allowing only one child on the bouncer at a time. If more than one child will be on the bouncer at the same time, the children should be approximately of the same age and size.”

3. by Mel

On December 16, 2012 at 11:12 am

Or, here’s a concept, WATCH your kids! And limit the amount of kids at a time, like the bounce house safety rules have always said! And I guarantee you won’t have a problem. The issue is the majority of parents now days don’t watch their kids which is why more and more bad things are happening! Why people can’t comprehend that us beyond me. There was not problems like we have now when I was growing up

4. by Justine

On December 16, 2012 at 11:28 am

One thing that is not mentioned is the fact that 15 years ago bounce houses were not every where like they are now, of course the injuries will go up. Second as the comment says above WATCH your kids, a bounce house is not your babysitter. I own 2 indoor bounce house facilities and a rental company and rent them out in a 100 mile radius from where I am located, I have not had 1 injury in the 2 years I have been in business. This is because I stress the fact it is imperative that the parents fallow all the rules, rules are there to keep our children safe.

5. by Bel

On December 16, 2012 at 11:31 am

I agree with Mel. Hello common sense? Someone should always watch children when bouncing , I’m sure trampolines had the same stats until bounce houses hot more popular. Bringing the government in to take more of our freedoms is not the answer. Raise your children don’t expect someone else or worse expect the government to raise your kids.

6. by Captain Obvious

On December 16, 2012 at 11:33 am

How about injury is on the rise because usage is on the rise. Why does the government need to interfere? People just need to watch their children!

7. by Christina

On December 16, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I’m disappointed with this posting – where is the factual information? Everything that is said is repeated twice, three times and with no substance. No statistical information regarding maybe the type of injuries, what companies the bounce houses come from, the size of the bounce house because maybe that is a factor, whether the injury was accidental because of the parents or structurally related…the propaganda produced here is ridiculous. You are scaring people with this nonsense. You have a responsibility to inform parents, not scare them with inaccurate or blown up charges that aren’t backed with FACTS. Shame on you.

8. by Tracy

On December 16, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I agree with Christina. I noticed that too. Redundancy with no sense! We need more information like what type of injuries. Go back to school!

9. by Tabitha

On December 17, 2012 at 9:38 am

Did they ever think of the possibility of an increase in injuries could be because they are more readily accessible now than they were 15 years ago. People can buy them for their own personal use and rent them for birthday parties. So yes, if there is a possibility of injury then that rate will increase as more children have access and use them. However, instead of blaming a toy or a product for one…can we please look at personal responsibility and teaching kids how to behave when using things of this manner! I mean seriously. Use common sense people! The government doesn’t need to come in and start regulating toys…parents need to be parents and control their children. Then, we might see a decrease and then only have true “accidents” happening instead of injuries that could have been prevented by supervision and a change in behavior! Just a thought.

10. by Tonya

On December 17, 2012 at 9:48 am

I agree with Christina, as a mother I would like to know what type of injuries that has occurred so when my kids or other kids are in a bouncy house i will know what to watch out for so I can try to prevent it.

11. by Katie

On December 17, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Parents, set rules/guidelines for use, structure a safe setting and monitor it fully while in use! If injuries have occured, it is likely not on the part of the bouncy house and more on the part of the action which occured inside it.

12. by Melissa

On December 22, 2012 at 1:13 pm

The one thing missing from the article is what kind of injuries are we talking about ? My children have never been injured and I’ve never seen one get injured in a bounce house so I’m not sure what kind of injures are “on the rise”.