Mom Not Sorry She ‘Smooshed’ Her Son’s Bully

A Florida mother is saying she has no regrets for accosting a child who was bullying her son, even though the incident was caught on camera and the mom is facing child abuse charges as a result.  NBC News has more:

“I mean, I really, honestly can’t say I won’t do it again,” Felecia Phillips, 35, of Bunnell, Fla., told NBC Orlando affiliate WESH.com of Wednesday morning’s fight. ”I just wanted him to leave my son alone, you know? What’s the problem?”

The trouble began on Tuesday, according to Phillips, when her 15-year-old son, Terez Smith, got beat up at Flagler Palm Coast School by a friend of the teen she confronted on the bus, 17-year-old Justin Mickens.

Worried about her son’s safety, Phillips decided to accompany Smith on Wednesday to the bus stop. Before the students even got on the bus, Phillips and Mickens began to argue, and Phillips pushed the teen, witnesses told deputies. Phillips believes Mickens was behind the attack on her son.

“Words kept going back and forth or whatever, and he called me out,” Phillips said. “And I smooshed him in his face or whatever.”

Mickens slammed Phillips to the ground as the bus arrived, deputies said. Phillips then allegedly followed him onto the bus, grabbing his hair as the bus driver yelled that she needed to get off the bus and other students tried to stop the brawl.

Image: School bus, via Shutterstock

Back To Parents News Now
  1. [...] Mom not sorry she ‘smooshed’ her son’s bully. (Parents.com) [...]

2. by Lil

On September 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm

While it’s great that she decided to take an active interest in her son’s safety and accompany her son to the bus stop (so many parents wouldn’t be able to or would just ignore the bullying), it’s not appropriate to pursue a minor. If he had come at her first, it would have been OK for her to put her hands up, to protect herself and her son defensively, but to start an argument and then push him and chase him onto the bus pulling his hair is aggression and she deserves the charges she got. She doesn’t seem to be able to understand that adults are supposed to act differently than children. She chose a very poor way to try to protect her son and doesn’t even see it, because she even said she can’t say she wouldn’t do it again. I just feel a bit bad for the kid, having a 35-year-old juvenile-minded woman for his mother.

3. by bt

On September 29, 2012 at 3:17 am

At least the News published that the mother will never do that again. Good to know the rest of the kids will have no problem when they beat the snot out of that kid next time, and they will. Next time he will make it to the hospital if he is lucky.

4. by jason

On September 29, 2012 at 7:47 am

Lil you are completely wrong. That mother was courageous in her effort to protect her child. That is what a parent should do. There are so many bad and uncaring parents these days. Most parents are worse these days than ever before and kids are behaving more badly every day. Maybe now that bully will think twice about bullying another kid and learned some respect. That mother just pushed him around and embarrassed him in front of his friends. It’s hilarious and he got what he deserved. The state is taking this way to far. It should drop all charges against her and charge the bully instead.

5. by S.T.

On September 30, 2012 at 8:16 am

A 17 year old beating up a 15 year old is o.k., but mom is supposed to do nothing? The 17 year old is an adult who can legally drive a car and consent to sex. Is he even getting punished? He put his hands on a minor and a woman, what a scumbag. He needs his ass kicked and to be sent to an alternative school. These schools should have a zero tolerance on bullying like they do about asprin and other drugs. Go mom, you knew the school would do nothing, so you decided to teach the punk a lesson.

6. by Another Day

On September 30, 2012 at 8:57 am

Lucky kids. I would have terminated them and their parents. Nobody would have known why.

7. by BruceB

On October 2, 2012 at 6:02 am

Successes and failures can be found in some of the most unlikely places, and people. This 17 year old had better realize this. Bullying should never be tolerated. It is his parents that should be held accountable. More than likely they were/are bullies too.

8. by ALMax

On October 3, 2012 at 9:41 am

The issue here is that a 17 year old actually wrestled with a woman. He needed to back off, apologize and at least act contrite. For a kid to get into it with a mother is beyond acceptable. The problem today is that boys are being neutered and not allow to even defend themselves. Putting your hands up to defend yourself leads to expulsion as fast as fighting back. All I see around me is girly-men who will never know the pride that comes with defending your turf.

9. by Gail Cooke

On October 4, 2012 at 8:23 am

Good for that woman. Make that kid think twice about beating on other people. Probably deserved more than he got. Hopefully the woman won’t be punished. Child abuse my bottom. Teaching the kid manners.

10. by spencer michaels

On October 4, 2012 at 8:48 am

The want this justice system works…she will be found guilty and wind up either in jail or having a hefty fine and the kid will get off.
    The problem is she should keep her yap shut and act contrite..
    I get her anger but it looks bad when mommy is beating up the 15-year-old guy’s bully. Violence begetting violence never works but yes…feels good.

11. by Lin

On October 12, 2012 at 9:06 am

I have a son, and he unfortunately was bullied in the 5th grade, but I did not go and attack the bully. I worked with the school district to resolve the issue. Parents, how would you feel if it was your child being assaulted by this woman? You cannot solve bullying by bullying. Sorry mom but as adults we should have more self control.

12. by jason

On October 13, 2012 at 12:46 am

Lin and Spencer, you are both a dumb a$$. That mom did the right thing. People like you have ruined our society. You should do us all a favor and blow your brains out.

13. by Richard Cheese

On October 14, 2012 at 9:30 am

Is it just me or were we all mislead by the title of the article? Smooshed means to bone, bang, get it in, screw, have sex, etc.

14. by Harry

On October 18, 2012 at 7:49 am

As usual, Libs always make the victims the villains!

15. by bugged

On October 18, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Rich cheese..where are u from? In America it means squished basically. Cake gets “smooshed” in persons face. Or pressed, pushed around, etc.
    Lil- sounds like u have never had to deal with bullying so way to judge people on things u know nothing about..maybe u are a bully.
    Lin-lucky u that ur sons ELEMENTARY school “worked” with u..whatever that means. High school and 17 yr olds are a bit different situations..and was that a long time ago? Your son is 30 now..am I right? People-teachers and principals- are terrified of the law coming after them…look at this situation! We all have to do something about bullying…but maybe not “terminate ” people…who is that guy? Scary this world is today. How about everyone stand together against bullying – its just sooo un-cool,man!

16. by jolopois11

On October 19, 2012 at 4:45 am

good for her. Schools wont do anythign because their god is money and justice comes second. So whats a parent to do? Do you not have the right to protect your own family? And if no one standsup to bullying then it continues and can continue to other crimes and murder. She didthis little bully a favor …..there are consequences to actions..maybe now he will be better for it.

17. by Leah Silver

On October 19, 2012 at 9:17 am

Right on, Mom!!!
    I was very shy and was badly abused by bullies in jr. high and high school. It was ongoing abuse and no one did a damn thing about it.
    I wish my parents had contacted my school and tried to get help for me, or even did as this mother did. It isn’t right to allow bullying to go on. It damages people, often for life.

18. by Heather

On October 23, 2012 at 2:45 am

I didn’t feel bad when I made a 10yr old cry and run home to mommy after I embarrassed him (went off on him in front of about 11 kids walking home from school) for knocking my son off his bike and punching him in his face.
    Everytime this lil punk messed with my son, my son would go to a teacher or the principal, yet nothing was ever done.
    While I don’t completely agree with this mom putting her hands on the boy, I commend her for sticking up for her kid.

19. by Ann

On October 26, 2012 at 6:30 am

Good for this mother for protecting her child and now maybe this BULLY will think twice….Bullies need to be stopped no doubt and feel the same pain they give to others…..a good old whooping is what these bullies need……

20. by Polynesian

On October 29, 2012 at 8:23 am

I would have done the same and commend this mom for doing it. On the flip side. Had it been my son doing the bullying.. and some parent did this to him… It would pale in to comparison to what I would do to him when he got home…

21. by K.G.Berger

On November 13, 2012 at 10:14 am

My wife went and talked to the principle and told him she plans to sue the school board. He made the remark your threatening my job. He then called down the one doing the bullying and rest of the class and told them any more and the ones doing this will be expelled sent to a different school. It stopped and no more trouble

22. by Mel

On November 21, 2012 at 3:48 am

Way to go mom!

23. by Jvas

On November 23, 2012 at 10:36 am

When is it a good time to pursue the kid then ? after your child commits suicide because everyone he is around, teachers, students, some parents and family members ignore the bullying problem that goes on everyday in America, So because she assaulted the kid who bullied her son and beat him up she has a juvenile delinquent mind? Sounds to me that she just has a mothers instinct, to protect her child, suicide is the third leading cause of death in America due to bullying and accounts for about 4,400 deaths a year with 14% of High School students attempting suicide and 7% thinking about it, her son is 15 and the bully is 17 which means he will be graduating soon and her son just started high school so please enlighten me and tell me when is a good time to protect your child?

24. by jojo

On November 24, 2012 at 12:35 am

seriously? a 17 yr. old male threw a 35 year old woman to the ground under these circumstances and people defend him? That kid is a wisearse and has probably been in trouble before. The mother was protecting her kid. More people need to stand up to bullies and frankly, this 17 yr. old needs to have his head examined thinking he can touch a woman that way. People are fed up with youth who have no respect for others or themselves.
    This kid needs the reality of the law to correct him because he sure has not been exercising any morals or ethics. I either feel sorry for his parents is they have been decent parents but this kid just won’t do right or the parents just won’t do right and the kid has no other modeling. I don’t know why some kids can see something wrong and not do it but other kids see wrong and imitate it.
    I feel bad for this mother and her son. And I hope as a community that people ostracize this 17 yr. old and support the mother and the son.

25. by seen it

On November 24, 2012 at 12:50 am

believe me, this 17 yr. old knows what he is doing – I am very sure he mouthed off at this woman, made threatening and vulgar comments to her and her son – basically in the way people like hi do mock and act all arrogant – because they intimidate people this way and no one does anything. It is outrageous that a 17 yr old would speak and act so disrespectfully to this woman. I guarentee this kid’s entitled attitude and arrogance is at the core of the problems here. Every solid, verifiable study shows that if a bully isn’t confronted right away, the bully continues til there is an esculation – and the bully provokes. to smoosh someone’s face is to take holdof it in a firm fashion usually by gripping the cheeks with thumb and forefinger to direct a person’s face to made to look directly at the speaker. It is to an authoritative action. And the fact is this woman, this adult is the authority – this 17 yr. probably has issues with authority and thus, he runs out of control and looks through bullying and intimidation to get authority to control him. 10-1 he is trouble at home and at school. SOme kids are very, very difficult to manage and the world does not help parents – even if you shut off the Tv and internet, kids are exposed to so much disrespect, arrogance, defiance, vulgarity, people thinking adultery is ok, etc. It is people who do not want boundaries and want to be able to have the “right” to do whatever they want. … the baby boomers brought us disease, materialistic consumerism, disrespect, entitlement, mockery of everything that is good and true.

26. by Ann

On November 26, 2012 at 6:21 am

Good for this mom for taking a stand against a Bully and she should be thanked not punished as these Bullies need to be stopped……this is one of the many things go bad in the USA….the law seems to always protect the guilty ones forgetting about the innocent…..go mom!!!!

27. by Jesus

On November 27, 2012 at 10:07 am

It ALL starts from our sick leaders and institutions. We are a bully Imperialist nation and have horrible role models as a result. We are a violent military machine. We need to teach values from the top . We can not take brown peoples resources in other countries and say it’s nt ok to kick someones A$$. We do this every minute someplace else. Grow up America! Sick society = sick people… So glad we left the cowardly USA. Drones, guns, violence. Go ahead, take it thieves your fate is coming.

28. by Robert Roper

On November 28, 2012 at 8:55 am

The mom should have executed a drive by spanking! Pull up, jump out, bust their butts with a belt, jump back in the car and speed off… The kids would have been so stunned they would not have been able to render a description! LOL

29. [...] Mom Not Sorry She ‘Smooshed’ Her Son’s Bully (Parents.com) [...]

30. by MH

On December 6, 2012 at 9:10 am

What she did was flat-out-wrong. She showed her son that violence is the way to solve problems. Now her son is going to believe that any time someone insults him, he should just punch them in the face because that’s what mom did.

31. by tony

On December 7, 2012 at 9:14 am

Bus drivers (at least here in New Haven) don’t do enough to prevent or stop bullying.
    My daughter was continuously bullied on the bus, and even robbed.
    I’ve wanted to get on the bus and kick a bus driver’s arse (didn’t, because, well, illegal, but wanted to). Even repeated complaints to the school failed to resolve the matter.
    Ultimately, the school/bus company are responsible, and need to address these matters.
    Also, the parents of children who bully other kids need to be held responsible.
    I can empathize with how this mother felt, but, indeed, she kind of took the wrong path to a resolution, and clearly ended up with more problem than she already had. Plus, the idiot kid she smacked will just feel justified, which sucks. Somebody does need to kick the little punk’s arse, but that’s his parent’s job. If they don’t, eventually the police will be involved in his life, rest assured.
    But, as a parent, man, it pisses you off. Your child is supposed to be safe from bullies. Schools and busses have a responsibility to protect them, and don’t. When you complain, the obfuscate, and say they’re going to investigate, or whatever, but nothing gets done and the bullying continues. It IS infurariating.
    Document, phone in, write in, go to school and complain, etc., and if it isn’t resolved, talk to a lawyer. But don’t beat the moron bully kids up. That’s more trouble than it’s worth.
    I walk my daughter to school, now.

32. by 2 Cents

On December 8, 2012 at 6:30 am

If instead a police officer had confronted the 17 year old about the bullying and the officer had maybe thrown him to the ground seriously injuring him or had tasered him several times, I think a majority of people would publicaly support the officer and/or say, “well, the boy twitched so the police officer had to defend himself”. Its interesting that because a civilian (especially a woman) did a very minor amount of aggression that she is under fire…not so ironically by the “justice” system. If you are a civilian you have no power now? Why do people so identify with and make excuses for their keepers? She should have just gotten a warning or maybe a citation for disturbing the peace instead of a serious child abuse charge. How do they know he IS a child at 17? Many minors (much, much younger than 17) are prosecuted as adults with exteremly serious charges. So, if minors can be treated as adults for crimes and potentially be sent to adult prisons for life, then in cases where an defendant is charged with abuse of a “child” then the state should have to prove the alleged victim IS actually a child using the same criteria. Well, for the time being, she can at least get a jury trial. Also, mom, what about some self defense classes for your son?!!

33. by Pegs

On December 8, 2012 at 1:28 pm

You go mom!! Good for you!! Those boys needed to be taught by their parents starting at a young age to not bully. The parents of the boys who initially beat up Ms. Phillips’ son are at the core and the blame and are at fault for their bad parenting!! They should thank Ms. Phillips for trying to undo their bad parenting skills and trying to teach the punk that bullying and beating up another is a crime! ARREST THE INITIAL PERPETRATORS!! Ms. Phillips was very brave to confront a 17 year-old young man. I commend you Ms. Phillips!! Truly, you are a great mother.

34. by Jerry Lee Worton

On December 9, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I went too school after my 9 year old son was knocked off his bike riding his bike to school. the brand new glasses chis my son had were broken/ so i went to the princable and was told he wasnt there to babysit after i heard what he said too me the father i said i want a police man now and want my sons glasses fixed//// I BELIEVE IN THE LAW AND IT SAYS A CHILD HAS THE PROTECTION FROM THE POLICE GOING TOO SCHOOL AND COMING HOME FROM SCHOOL AFTER THE POLICE CAME THE PRINCIABLE SAID HE WAS SORRY AND HE WOULD TALK TO THE BOYS PARANTS ABOUT KNOCKING CHRIS OFF HIS BIKE SO HE COULD RIDE AND YES THE OTHER BOY WAS A BLACK BOY//// THE GLASSES NEVER GOT FIXED EXCEPY BY ME HIS DAD//// YES IM MAD ALSO I DONT BLAME THAT MOTHER PROTECKING HER SON SHE HAS A RIGHT LET IT BE THE PRINCIABLES SON AND SEE WHAT HAPPENED THE BOY WOULD KICKED OUT OF SCHOOL AND YOU AND I know its true

35. by Texas John

On December 11, 2012 at 8:24 am

Kill your bully.

Kill your rapist.

Kill your robber.

36. by Dwight Simmons

On December 11, 2012 at 8:45 am

This is supposed to be a nation of law. Just because you perceive that the law is ineffectual does not give you the right to take matters into your own hands. It is one thing to come upon a situation and react. It is another to confront and precipitate violence. Did she go to the police, the school or other authorities? Were charges pressed against the 17 year old?
    I feel for the woman. I might do the same thing, but it is destructive to society to work outside the law.
    For every justified case, if any, there are dozens of unjustified cases of people acting outside the law.

37. by kyle

On December 12, 2012 at 8:04 am

Good for this women screw this kid and all bullies if he is going to start something even when the mom is ther he needed a wake up call anyway. GOOD FOR HER!!!!!

38. by Marianna

On December 18, 2012 at 8:32 am

You gotta wonder at what point a 17-year old capable of “slamming” a grown woman to the ground is no longer considered a “child”. I’ve seen how some of these guys act and the damage they do while everyone stands around and protects their so-called innocence. The 22-year-old who shot up Clackamas mall was likely, 5 years ago, exactly one of those. The kid who took Jessica Ridgeway and cut her into little pieces was 17. No respect for life and no consequences. Bet he was surprised that somebody stood up to him.

39. by Valerie Starr

On December 18, 2012 at 9:24 am

The mom and the boy were arguing and then “Mickens slammed Phillips to the ground as the bus arrived, deputies said.” Mickens is the “kid,” not the adult. So, the mother followed him on the bus, good for her. I don’t understand why he isn’t in trouble.

40. by D

On December 20, 2012 at 10:07 am

Good for her. The schools are scared to even breathe, and law enforcement won’t help. So what is she to do – let the punk keep beating her child up? She did the right thing. I would do the same thing.

41. by Joshua Evans

On December 20, 2012 at 10:48 am

This article only shows us only that the mother was charged but nothing else. I can say with confidence that this 17 year old kept bullying the 15 year old, and the mother probally did talk to the school administration, and after getting tired of the school not doing anything, she probally just got tired of it and decided to take matters in her own hand. I’m an uncle of 2 girls, one was is 10 and the other is 8, and they get bullied by teenagers around 16 years old. Needless to say their parents has talked to the lot manager several times, and all they she do is just warned them instead of throwing them out and I myself is getting ready to do something to those teenagers, and tell them to stop being cowards and start trying to pick on someone their own size.

42. by Mark

On December 21, 2012 at 12:43 am

Hopefully Mother, beat bully until urine started running down bullies leg?

43. by TD Clark

On December 21, 2012 at 10:34 am

What a wonderful world we have created with the public school system,discpline gone,games of tag outlawed, we are not allowed to teach right and wrong, and I hate to say it boys no longer are allowed to act as boys, they must conform to a milder, meek personality.

The seventeen year old was definitly wrong but, apparently the younger boy was not up to defending himself, he like so many of our young men have had the courage to “battle” morphed right out of thier makeup. Get gloves and head gear and let them go a few rounds. The meeker kid might find some inner strength and the bully might find that it wasn’t worth the effort. Young men are killing others because their is no longer an outlet for personnal agression.

I support the moms efforts and I hope the world learns the punk had is ass kicked by a mom!

44. by I hate bullys

On December 21, 2012 at 11:43 am

Whatever it takes to stop it. I support this lady and everybody should. But i am am sure the poor bully will get away with it and she will go to jail.

45. by fred

On December 23, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Bullies don’t like to be bullied, kid got what he deserved.

46. by johnj

On December 24, 2012 at 10:37 am

dam punkass slams the woman to the ground and shes gettin charged with child abuse against a 17 yo –that fukin punk needs his ass beat so bad hes hospitalized

47. by James Vamm

On December 25, 2012 at 7:46 am

I want to know what the school is doing to investigate the fight between the two teens, which is a crime, assault and battery, and punishable under the law. AND the Bully allegations, against the 17 year old. They should be taking some action!

48. by RG

On December 25, 2012 at 10:26 am

An adult has no business stalking school kids. On top of that, she started the altercation by striking the first blow. In addition, it wasn’t even the kid that fought with her son. Serves her right to get thrown to the ground. She’s lucky not to have assault carges against her.

49. by RG

On December 25, 2012 at 10:33 am

On second reading, she does have charges against her and rightfully so.

50. by Callie

On December 25, 2012 at 2:10 pm

And people wonder why kids take guns to schools and shoot the kids that bullied them..
    The SCHOOL/AND the BUS DRIVER should be held responsible for allowing a 17 yr old to ride the bus with younger kids that he bullies.

51. by unsan

On December 27, 2012 at 12:05 pm

A 17 year old? Child Abuse?? Sounds like they both should have charges brought against them. I’m betting he has a hundred pounds on her.

52. by Tag68

On December 30, 2012 at 11:15 am

It’s about time! For the cops to arrest this woman for defending her son is ridiculous! They should be putting her son’s ‘bully’ in the juvenile detention center where he can learn some manners and to keep his hands to himself. I don’t blame this mom one bit – too bad she didn’t knock this POS to the ground and then stomp om him to teach him a lesson – good for her!!!! There should be more like her then there would be fewer bullyies – get the POS when no one else is around!!!! You go, girl!!!

53. by tawnya

On December 30, 2012 at 12:40 pm

John
    Are you really blaming the bus drivers. I’m sure you have never drove a bus with 60 plus kids screaming and yelling and when you try to do something they tell you they dont have to listen to you and do it anyway. It all comes down to us as parents teaching our kids that they need to have respect for their elders. I drive school bus everyday and I’m lucky that I don’t have to deal with secondary kid 6th thru 12th. And that our district supports the drivers and we have cameras on the bus to prove to parents it was their kid that started it and are not totally innocent. Blame the lack of parenting not the bus drivers.

54. by Art

On January 4, 2013 at 8:35 am

When in Grammar School in Alhambra Ca I remember on occasion larger student would try to bully me. Even though I was of small to medium size I learned quickly not to take any crap and would take the offensive with the bully and that generally took care of it. In fact, I used to step in when I observed the bully in action. Students should stand up for their rights and also step in when they observe bullying activity. Helping others when possible is missing these days.

55. by rizzo

On January 4, 2013 at 8:44 am

Where’s this kids dad? If this loud mouthed mommy bear wants to confront the 17 year old like an aggressive male, then she shouldn’t be surprised when she gets slammed to the ground like one. I can’t stand women who think they have the right to slap, scratch, kick, punch, or pull a mans hair because they’re a female. You want to fight like a man, then you can expect to get treated like one!

56. by BigCatDaddy76016

On January 4, 2013 at 9:05 am

Remember when your child came home with a beating all over them, but they still had a smile on their face because they won a fight? IfI had a problem with someone that bullied me and I didn’t set the offender back to default settings, my father would send my a$$ back. We have allhad a tiff in our past, but nothing feels better than beating up your bully.
    This mother did what she had to do. Because of the beauracracy in school principals and other personnel,she knew she wouldn’t get the response she needed to protect her child. You’re right, the 17 year old student got what he deserved. He knows that the school wouldn’t do anything to him for bullying other students, so he wailed on this mothers son. I would hope that charges were brought against the 17 year old…..but not the mother. If i had been the bus driver, I’d let the woman finish her business and kept quiet about the situation. Justin you’re a coward…punk!

57. by Ken

On January 5, 2013 at 3:02 am

Anyone who is so weak minded to say that “violence begets violence” and should not be used ever is way off base. American slavery and the Holocaust/WW2 were solved by brute force, and many an innocent woman, man and child have been saved by force by police, homeowners ,good Samaritans etc.
    Good for this women. 17 year old sounds like a right punk. More like his ilk need to eat the dust.

58. by Benson

On January 5, 2013 at 9:44 am

Most of these posts advocate the law of the jungle and yet they wonder why this nation breeds so many citizens who are only marginally better than animals.

59. by Jack Fat

On January 6, 2013 at 11:18 am

She should have gone to the bully’s home and punched his mother in the nose.

60. by NewEnglandLady1978

On January 6, 2013 at 11:20 am

The problem is this “kid” needed his ass whopped a long time ago by his own parents, and I do mean that literally. He’s of an age now that I foresee jail in his future if he doesn’t grow up real fast.

Also, as to the bus drivers: I drove a bus that carried 70 middle schoolers, many of whom were bigger than me. I tried to monitor what was happening, but I was doing so in a rear view mirror while trying to safely navigate a large bus through tight city streets. When I saw something or something was reported to me, I dutifully issued verbal warnings, reassigned seats, and wrote up complaints for the principal. The punks would be off for a few days and then come right back on smirking.

My options when something more serious happened were to take the kids back to the school or call the cops. Again, this got 0 results. The cops were usually too busy and the principal would come on the bus and yell, give them detention or suspension, and then, as always, their smirking faces would appear after a day or two. Don’t blame the bus driver, its the wussy parents who are so afraid of scarring their child’s psyche they won’t punish him or her when it is well deserved.

61. by Pam

On January 7, 2013 at 4:38 am

The mother only knew her son’s version of events, and kids never lie–right? I don’t know what led to the original fight between the two boys and neither do any of you. It might come out this woman’s son is the original bully. Regardless, the mother should have let either the school system or the judicial system handle it. If the boy was being bullied by someone, that person should have been expelled from school and/or punished by the courts. Likewise, the mother broke the law and she has to receive some sort of punishment. She is no hero. All she did was make her son look helpless and reveal herself as someone with no control.

62. by Lisa Malave

On January 7, 2013 at 6:05 am

After dealing with a bullying situation when my son was in middle school I have to say this woman probably felt she had no alternative. My son was raised to be gentle and respectful. He is a tall, built young man and could do serious damage if he was raised that way. He was bullied in middle school and came to me one night saying he thought he might hurt himself due to the things this little scum was saying to and about him in front of others at the school. You can believe I jumped out of bed to hug him and sit and talk with him. I took the matter to the “proper” authorities at the school who did listen but told me that bully was now at another school in town. So what? He should be made to answer for what he was doing to my son (& we found out to others) however, the school let it go. I didn’t. I spoke to my nephews in town along with other minors and this bully was put in his place. His parents then moved him out of town. Good Riddence!

63. by IB

On January 10, 2013 at 8:15 am

“Before the students even got on the bus, Phillips and Mickens began to argue, and Phillips pushed the teen, witnesses told deputies. Phillips believes Mickens was behind the attack on her son.”

The Mom pushed the bully first, then later the Bully tackled the Mom.

I think they need to bring back corporal punishment. You disrespect your teacher, your class-mate you get paddled or mouth washed out with soap. Then when you get home, you get it from your parents. We have become a nation of disrespect.

64. by Sandi

On January 13, 2013 at 5:24 am

He’s lucky she just “smooshed” him. I would’ve beaten him to a pulp. Little punk.

65. by Frederick1337

On January 13, 2013 at 6:38 am

Good for her. If society wants to raise our children in a diseased weaponless, cowardly manner, which teaches our children that he with the biggest muscles is justified to beat the smaller, than these kids should be aware that a bigger parent might be justified in kicking in their teeth once in a while. The two kids should have been given sword and allowed to fight to the death, of course if they were given swords, the fight would be even, and neither would hve thought the argument was worth a possible death. Problem solved. A society remains civil only while both parties are armed, and death is the end result of any argument that ccomes to blows. Praise Odin for HIS wisdom, that whites are not as cowardly as asiatics.

66. by BBob

On January 14, 2013 at 2:07 am

You’d like to think if the mom went to the bully’s parents, they’d do something, and some might. However, the bully could come from a broken home with a mom that can’t control him, or a bad home with a dad that beats him, or parents that are drug addicts and don’t care, or a dad that is proud his son is able beat other kids. The 17 year old could be a drug dealer and have minions that push other kids around for him or shake them down for cash.

The mom was actually pretty brave to confront the “kid”, he could have pulled a weapon on her or after knocking her down, stomped on her and sent her to the hospital.

I feel bad for the job bus drivers have, perhaps buses should also have control officers with cattle prods to keep disrespectful bullying kids in line.

Schools need be able to apply punishments that kids care about and learn from. For some kids, detention might get their attention but for others its just a minor inconvenience and a short term expulsion is like an extra vacation. If you are college bound and worried about grades, expulsion or lowering your grade might concern you but if you are just passing time in high school, drifting through life, those punishments will not faze you. Some sort of community service might help, but if forced, my just cause more disruption than help. Maybe expel them until they can convince the family(s) of the kid(s) they bullied that they are sorry and will change their ways, otherwise, let them stay home or on the street.

67. by robin

On January 14, 2013 at 5:20 am

unfortunately i would too go on the bus with my camera phone and take a video of any bullying and then when the kid attacked my child i would get up and have a talk with him – my mouth can do more damage then my hands anyway – now if the little bullying turd didnt like what i was saying and put his hands on me i would have shown him what its like to get chopped in the throat then probably go to jail for assault – i would try like hell to make it look like self defense tho lol

68. by Karen

On January 14, 2013 at 5:40 am

The appropriate action to take would be for the bully victims parent(s) to contact the school, request a meeting to include the principal, the parent(s) of the offending student and the bully victim and his parent(s). A sincere effort should be made by the adults to show ese teens that there is no reason to be enemys. The parents should get to know one another, as well as the principal. An impromptu get together in a pleasant environment such as a “family meal” might just bring the two students together long enough to realize that they have something in common. At the very least they would see how to treat one another respectfully even if they don’t like one another personally.

69. by dawn

On January 17, 2013 at 7:24 am

I am only 44 but I do agree with this mom. I see my son being bullied by a teacher and I have confronted it, she did not deny it, and the school did nothing despite an anti-bullying ‘law’ for the school. When I was growing up, if we as children did something wrong in front of an adult; we got it from them and from our parents. That did not teach me violence. It taught me respect. Children are not taught that anymore. Everything is their ‘right’ to behave the way they see fit. And you wonder why people get shot or beat up? No respect for anyone….and they learn quick that there are no longer any consequences for bad behavior. Even a lawyer is to protect his client even if he is wrong. No questions asked. Consequences for the bully? Probably not. That is the reality of the world today. Consequences for the mother? Probably child abuse and her child taken away because of her loyalty to her son to provide his protection. What a sad world we live in.

70. by Sue

On January 17, 2013 at 8:07 am

Good for her! I had to scare the hell out of 3 young boys who were molesting my daughter, and others, on the playground at school. I also had to scream in the principals face and threaten to beat him to get any results. I ended up assaulting one of the other parents who thinks her rapo son has a right to do that to others since he is so young. She got a reality check fast. The boys were suspended with counseling or I was pressing charges on them. I also have beat up two older teens for beating up little kids and taking their belongings. These teens were feral street kids with druggie parents so no one cared what they did. Both were 17yr old males and bigger than I am. They had it coming. Better a reality check now than a gun in your face as an adult. Most who go unchecked do go on to prison or death.

71. by john denver

On January 18, 2013 at 2:16 am

i think the funniest thing about this story is that a 17 year old is still riding the bus.

72. by George P Burdell

On January 18, 2013 at 4:55 am

parent should not have hit the bully. But yes, clearly identify hgim to driver.
    tell the bully to leave her son alone, get the cell phone running, including any witnesses and driver. Make a formal complaint with the school principal AND school district supt. give them 24 hours to meet with other parent(s) and resolve appropriately. to and from school, sometimes even off campus sponsored events) the school claims jurisdiction. “en loco parentis”. “”in absence of the parent” the school district has the responsibility.especially on a bus
    if on city street, file a formal police report. immediately. if it was on school grounds, and police say not under their jurisdiction, document whatever happens when bus on city streets.
    visit to local media & supply cell video and if still no satisfaction, get on agenda of school district meeting. wouldnt hurt to have a friend that’s an attorney observe. Good Luck
    btw, if charged with anything, the woman was not endngering a child if 17 in my jurisdiction. no age 16 and under year old juvenile court for him. I would hope the woman would get at worst probation and threat of jail if laying a hand on bully UNLESS bully attacked son again. In which case woman has right to defend her son. and the bully would receive suspensioin, alternative school, and with any another offense, turn over to police, temporary expulsion with parent(s) liable for conduct.

73. by jim

On January 18, 2013 at 7:23 am

OK She’s on Prozak and the boys have been high on Ridalin since age 8 pretty soon we will need armed guards on the school busses and all of the classrooms. Hey maybe DHS can get involved

74. by B.H.Wilson

On January 19, 2013 at 7:30 am

I hope the judge in this case is a former bullying victim. It is often bullying victims who go on shooting sprees, including those school shooters.

75. by MerriAnnie

On January 19, 2013 at 7:36 am

Good for you, Mom!

Where school yard bullies are concerned, it is time for the adults to step in and knock the truth into a few of them. Their own parents would be my first choice of who gets smooshed, but the mother would have been arrested even if she’d done it to the kid’s parent. If she’s going to be arrested anyway for defending her child from a base animal (which all bullies are) then go straight for the bull dog’s face.

76. by MerriAnnie

On January 19, 2013 at 7:39 am

Btw, I’m sure most of you have read many times about children who are the victims of bullies bringing guns to school and blowing people away.

I’d rather be the jailbird mom of a bullied kid than the mom of a kid who was pushed so far he went off the deep end and killed people.

Sometimes life doesn’t offer good alternatives.

77. by HarleyGirl05

On January 20, 2013 at 8:39 am

Maybe Mom was at the end of her rope with her child being bullied and the school district wasn’t handling it appropriately. I am fortunate that I didn’t experience that with any of my older 3 sons and most likely because of their size…however I did with my daughter who is the youngest and it was boys that were doing it….UNTIL 2 of her brothers who were under 18, showed up at the bus stop and grab the 3 boys that were doing it….they didn’t even have to hit them…they just grabbed them and warned them and it was OVER….Hell now they practically want to carry her books.

78. by lee

On January 20, 2013 at 8:47 am

Good for her. Someone should have done this to this kid long ago. The only way bulling stops is if the bully knows he will be confronted. Glad someone did it. Teachers wouldn’t, The bus driver wouldn’t and his parents wouldn’t. You go girl. Lucky it wasn’t me I;d have done more then smooshed this little bst$%^@D.

79. by Mama Mariah

On January 24, 2013 at 6:09 am

Mom, you did the right thing, Thank you. I hope this 17 year old learned a lesson from you. that is not even enough, he should be in jail !!!!! i hope other Mom will do what you did.

80. by hexxuss

On January 24, 2013 at 8:57 am

I wonder how many people replying realize what would’ve happened “way back in the day” if that punk had mouthed off to a mother (ANY mother)?! He would’ve got back-handed across the face & told to respect his elders, and NO ONE would’ve said so much as “Boo”. We, as parents, are being told to ‘turn the other cheek’ WAY too often – why? So they can hit the other cheek? And no corporal punishment, we might bruise their poor little egos, or whatever. That 17-year old is a PRIME example of why we NEED to bring back the good old fashioned spanking. Just wait until he pulls that crap when he’s 18. Granted the mother should NOT have followed him on to the bus – that’s a big no-no anyway. Good for her for confronting the bully tho.

81. by Christy

On January 25, 2013 at 2:57 am

No hexxass,

Back in the day no kid would have been accompanied by his mother. He would have been expected to stand up for himself and not bring Mommy along with him to the bus stop.

82. by JS

On January 25, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I read a great comment back at the beginning. This 17 yr, old kid is legally able to drive etc.
    He is old enough to deal with an irate mother. WHY AREN;T the schools doing more about this. I am with the mother for addressing this problem, What should she wait until her son is in the hospital. Ridiculous…..if the “right” people are not going to protect our children then we have to do it ourselves. I hope that 17 yr. old learned a lesson.

83. by Ken

On February 1, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I understand wanting to protect your child, but the article says that she attacked a FRIEND of the kid who was doing the bullying. If you’re going to go to jail for assaulting a child, at least attack the right one.

84. by Sick of Dirtbags

On February 2, 2013 at 1:22 am

She should get a medal.

85. by gringo vejo

On February 2, 2013 at 6:18 am

As far as I am concerned a 17 year old punk is old enough to get his butt trashed by an adult. As a
    young Safety Patrol on a school bus, I saw a large teen pull a switch blade on a younger kid, going for his face. I grabbed him and pounded his head up against the window until he dropped the knife. For my efforts, I was suspended from school, until wiser folks stepped up to the plate and had it reversed.

I have seen teen punks, push and shove elderly women in a gas station and when I told them to stop, had them come for me. I took them on and don’t regret one bloody minute of it. If they are old enough to play the role, they are old enough to Pay for their actions.

86. by Xam

On February 5, 2013 at 6:47 pm

You would be ok with some 35 year old woman chasing your kid into a school bus ? And by the way, what other “age” did you parent in ? Lol

87. by Steve

On February 6, 2013 at 3:18 am

When I was raising my son, he was being continually harassed and attacked by a group of young people his own age in our neighborhood.
    I talked to their parents, it didn’t stop, I talked to the police, and it didn’t stop.
    So finally, I sat my son down and told him that I didn’t approve of violence but in this one instance, the next time the person who was starting all this stuff should come at him, he had permission to protect himself.
    He came home that night with a big grin on his face and we never heard another word about the problem.
    Just as a side bar, the person causing the problem was a teenage girl 3 years older than he. She would promise to service the guys on the block if they did what she said.
    When they saw what my son did, they backed off.

88. by therealguyfaux

On February 6, 2013 at 7:31 am

Assuming the “bully” really IS the heel in all this, and that the mother was morally in the right to have confronted him about it, what would really need to be done, to insure that this kid never engages in this sort of thing again, is for him to be alone and isolated, and unaware that he is being observed, and then for a baseball bat to be liberally applied to his cranium (if one cannot obtain a re-bar or lead pipe). If it does not stop him from bullying ever again, it will at least put him out of commission for awhile. Care must be taken that he not observe who it is doing the walloping, lest a police report be made, but with sufficient damage inflicted, it may not be a problem if he develops retrograde amnesia. Let HIM live in dread that an unknown someone he bullied may not stop next time after unconsciousness sets in.

89. by Dad's way

On February 8, 2013 at 7:26 am

My father had very little tolerance of anyone picking on me or my little brother. Had this been me, the 17 year old would have been terrorized and made to think he made a grave mistake in bullying me. He did not care about the consequences or about repercussions from authority. He acted and solved the problem and everyone knew you don’t mess with his boys. Once, he was confronted by the police after he beat up a 20 year old who picked me out of a crowed to throw to the ground for no reason. I did not know this guy, I was 13 and when he threw me to the ground, I hit my head real hard and was very frightened. I ran home and told my father. He went to the beach where everyone was hanging out, and I pointed out the guy. My father beat the crap out of him and stood up to the crowd who tried to intervene. The police came and sided with my father and wanted to arrest the guy. My father did not press charges, but 3 days later, the guy found my father and profusely apologized for what he had done to me. So to you parents who actually raised your kids, defend them and send a strong message to the bully and to anyone else who opposes a parent protecting their child.

90. by Dad's way

On February 8, 2013 at 7:30 am

gringo vejo? You rock!

91. by Jennifer

On February 9, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I was frequently bullied as a child. It destroyed my self-esteem, which took a long time to build back up. The schools have their hands tied in what they can do, and so do bus drivers. Talking to the parents of the kids didn’t help, because no parent ever wants to believe their kid did something wrong. Now that I have a child of my own, you’d better believe that I won’t have her go through what I did. Ever. This 17 year old boy is lucky that the mother was so gracious with him. He wouldn’t be getting back up off the ground if it was me and my child he had bullied.

92. by Txj

On February 11, 2013 at 4:36 am

My 7yr old daughter was being threatened and bullied by a 11yr old and 10yr old boy on the bus. She had an assigned seat due to an altercation earlier in the year (she spit in a 5th graders face because he kept messing with her), so she couldn’t get away from them.
    At first I left it with “tell the bus driver if they touch you, words are just words.”
    then one of them threatened to kill her, with graphic detail. She came home crying. I flipped. We chose to approach the boy’s parents first. It actually worked, both the boys’ moms didn’t take kindly to finding out that their pre-teen son was picking on a little girl. They also knew had we taken it to the school their sons would have been suspended.
    An adult should never approach a minor with out their guardian present. It’s just not done, and it is usually best to take a witness all the same. You deal with the person who is held accountable for the minor’s actions.
    If the parent wont make the kid take responsibility, turn it over to the law and let them handle it.
    DFS should be busting into the homes of these parents who allow their kids to be fear-mongering tyrants.
    Instead they’re chasing down and making life hell on the parents who discipline their children.
    but that is a different rant.

I still say the mom was wrong, the kid was screwed up, and his parents are of the biggest fault in the whole mess.

93. by Pam

On February 15, 2013 at 8:39 am

When my daughter was in first grade a bully on the her bus took her glasses and put them out the window. In route the bully was let off at his home. Visably upset, my little girl and I got into the car and she directed me to the home of the bully. I took the bent up glasses to the front door and told the parent to take care of his kid’s attitude and as I knew where he lived I would envolve the law . I did take my little girl to school after that and we transfered her to a Christian School after that.
    To:#55rizzo You are probably not a parent and definetly have female issues. You definately have bully qualities too. God forbid your mother should should see this in print. How ashamed she would be.
    Single Ladies, if you ever have the occation to date a man named risso, please ask him his opinion of a woman’s rights. You could save yourself a lot of pain.
    If a man caused pain to my family I would not hesitate to retaliate. This insident started with her verbal confrontation with this entitled creep. He should have appologized then. Bullies do not want their reputation to be tarnished so the argument esclated. She had to come down to his level to get the creep’s attention. I don’t blame her one bit. It is this creep’s parents fault to allow this atitude to form in their child and for defending him. This punk now thinks that he can get away with anything. It would be well worth watching this bully future trouble with the law.

94. by Mary

On February 17, 2013 at 1:23 am

Sounds like MIckens started the physical confrontation. I’m not sure I’d prosecute her for responding in kind. At the very least, I’d prosecute Mickens for assault as well.

95. by Anthony

On February 18, 2013 at 10:06 am

At 17 years old, I was in college and was definitely not a child. If an adult woman attacked me I’d have had no problem hurting her. Why exactly are they making the bully the victim? Most women are smaller than a 17 year old male.

96. by madmemere

On February 19, 2013 at 1:53 am

So the 17 yr-old throws the mom to the ground after he beats on a 15 yr-old? And the mom of the 15 yr-old is being charged with assault? Something is very wrong with this picture – -moms DO stand up for their kids, so you better not talk back, or try to keep it up, cause YOU’LL LOSE!

97. by Nucole

On February 19, 2013 at 1:55 am

That woman undoubtedly made things worse for her son. Now even more kids will harass her son, about how his mommy needed to fight his battles. What a moronic thing to do.

98. by debi

On February 21, 2013 at 1:48 am

@Jesus: Thank you for your post above and please let me be the first to say to you “Thank you for taking yourself and your hatred out of our beautiful country. Every country has its regrettable actions and also its acts of aggression and violence, after all we are all human. I am however grateful to you for leaving this country for another, I would hope that you have learned a lesson or two in supporting the country that supports you however I sincerely doubt that you have learned anything at all.

99. by Ken in NC

On February 22, 2013 at 4:04 am

I would not like to have to be in the position of defending or protecting my daughter because as far as I am concerned,as her father,ANYONE that threatens her safety is fair game for me and to protect my daughter I will strike out like a wounded bear protecting her cubs.

100. by shed building plans

On February 27, 2013 at 4:11 am

Make sure the shed plans have not been filtered by your email client(ex: outlook, outlook express, lotus notes) as spam.