Teens Who ‘Sext’ More Likely to Be Sexually Active

Teenagers who engage in “sexting,” or sending sexually explicit text messages, are 7 times more likely than their peers to be sexually active in the non-virtual world, a new study published in the journal Pediatrics has found.  Further, the study found that because sexting is a risky behavior, the practice also puts teens at higher risk for having risky sex, putting them in danger of contracting HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases.  From CNN:

“The same teens who are engaging in digital sex risk taking through sexting are also the same teens that are engaging in sex risk with their bodies in terms of being sexually active and not using condoms,” said lead study author Eric Rice, an assistant professor at the University of Southern California’s School of Social Work in Los Angeles.

A 2009 report from the Pew Research Center found that some teens “view sexting as a safer alternative to real life sexual activity.”

While the term ”sexting” may also include messages also sent over the Internet, this particular study looked solely at cell phone text messages and images. It was conducted via questionnaire in the Los Angeles Unified School District. Researchers surveyed 1,839 students ages 12 to 18 at random. Most were Latino or African-American. Three-quarters of those surveyed had cell phones.

“Even though a minority of teens sext – we only found 15% – but that 15% are much riskier with their physical sexual behaviors as well as their digital sexual behaviors,” says Rice.

He add that teens who reported sexting were seven times more likely to be sexually active than their peers who did not sext.

Image: Teen sending text message, via Shutterstock

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by Check Out This Site

On September 26, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Hello.This article was extremely fascinating, particularly since I was looking for thoughts on this topic last Monday.

2. by Rated X Social bookmarking site

On September 28, 2012 at 2:38 pm

many thanks that was a decent distracting article, plenty of difficulties in the earth those times, and most we Sheeps do – is looking what the celebrities do, just like Click for Scandal Superstars Spycams, although we somewhat really should aim on whats moving on in the planet, it changes out to turn into a penitentiary planet until we start fighthing to get our privileges back!

3. by du lutscher

On October 2, 2012 at 2:09 am

My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .NET from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the i am just not used to it. But he’s trying none the less. I’ve been working with Blogs Organizer on numerous websites for about 12 months and i am worried about switching to another program. I have heard good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it? Any help would be really appreciated!

4. by see pulldown my panties

On October 3, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Superb blog! Have you got any helpful hints for ambitious writers? I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally overwhelmed .. Any recommendations? Bless you!

5. by Ulysses Klinglesmith

On October 4, 2012 at 3:04 pm

F*ckin’ amazing things here. I’m very glad to see your post. Thanks a lot and i’m looking forward to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

6. by home-page

On October 14, 2012 at 8:37 pm

You are my aspiration, I own few web logs and rarely run out from to brand.

7. by ladyboy tumblr

On October 31, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Hello, i really enjoy visiting your blog. I like the way its written, and totally dig the topic. Is there any way to subscribe to your site?

8. by sewa villa

On January 18, 2013 at 6:56 pm

artikelnya sangat informatif sekali..terimaksih banyak

9. by Home Page

On April 29, 2013 at 10:43 am

Great website. Plenty of helpful info here. I’m sending it to several pals ans additionally sharing in delicious. And naturally, thank you for your effort!

10. [...] published in the journal Pediatrics has found in a study of seventh graders. Research has linked sexting with a greater likelihood that teens will engage in sexual behaviors. More from Today.com: Almost a quarter of troubled seventh-graders send sexually suggestive texts [...]