Teen Convicted of Homicide After Texting While Driving

A Massachusetts teenager has been convicted of vehicular homicide for a 2011 car accident that resulted in the death of one man and serious injury to a passenger, CNN.com is reporting.  Eighteen-year-old Aaron Deveau was texting while driving.  From CNN:

“I made a mistake,” Deveau said Wednesday after his mother told the court he would not intentionally hurt anyone. “If I could take it back, I would take it back.”

Judge Stephen Abany sentenced the teen to two and a half years on the vehicular homicide charge and two years on the texting and causing injury charge. He will serve one year concurrently on both charges and the balance of both charges is suspended for five years. His license will be suspended for 15 years.

“There are no winners today,” Essex County District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett said in a statement. “A beloved grandfather is dead. A once active woman can no longer work and is still racked with pain from her injuries and a young man is going to jail. When we get behind the wheel of a car, we are obligated to drive with care. … As we saw in this case, in a split second, many lives are forever changed.”

Image: Texting while driving, via Shutterstock.

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by Peter Frankiewicz

On June 7, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Can a driver purchase a vehicle cell phone block so one’s boss can not call one while driving? New cars should have some little device that prevents distracted driving.

2. by Kitty

On November 16, 2012 at 9:50 am

This was a horrible, preventable tragedy, one that didn’t have to happen. Strick laws need to be enforced in ALL states to prohibit texting while driving. Teenages in particular think nothing bad is going to happen to THEM! They don’t even consider the innocent victims who could be killed or maimed for life due to one inconsiderate person’s stupid texting! Throw the book at them no matter what their age! People need to be accountable and take responsibility for their actions. Too bad an innocent person needs to suffer.

3. by BobM

On November 23, 2012 at 8:14 am

The sentence, as it will be carried out, is no where near sufficient. As handed down, maybe.

4. by Sharon Wilkins

On December 8, 2012 at 8:27 am

I feel for this kid and his parents but everyone knows that texting and driving don’t mix. Hell, talking on the phone and driving don’t mix. It’s not some secret that’s not talked about and reported all the time. Teenagers unfortunately are not sorry until after it happens and never think it is going to happen to them. Some cell phone companies offer something you can add to your phone that sends out a message when someone tries to call or text you while you are driving letting them know that you are driving.

5. by RG

On December 25, 2012 at 9:59 am

Somebody won. A year or two for killing someone.

6. by Allen

On February 1, 2013 at 12:27 pm

As per Peter F. I have had jobs where I had to check in with my boss or he/she would check in with me by phone as I made my daily appts. And I also drove on a lot of interstates. I made it clear to my boses I DO NOT ANSWER or otherwise use my phone while drving. It was never more than 45 minutes or so between appts. So whatever it was it could wait. They where not all pleased.