Kindergartner Handcuffed and Taken to Police Station After Violent Outburst

Six-year-old Salecia Johson a kindergarten student at Creekside Elementary School in Milledgeville, Georgia, was placed in handcuffs and taken to the police station after an outburst in which she threw furniture, overturned a bookshelf, and tore items off of the walls.  The bookshelf allegedly injured the school’s principal.  MSNBC.com has more:

Police defended their actions during the incident which occurred last Friday at Creekside Elementary School in Milledgeville, Ga.

“Our policy states that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule,” Milledgeville Police Chief Dray Swicord told WMAZ-TV.

The family on Tuesday demanded that the city change its policy, the Associated Press reported, and claimed the girl was shaken up while at the police station.

Johnson was charged with assault and damage to property, WMAZ-TV reported, but she will not have to go to court because of her age.

Johnson’s mother, Constance Ruff, says her daughter was suspended until the start of the next school year.

“She has mood swings some days, which all of us have mood swings some days,” she told WMAZ-TV. “I guess that was just one of her bad days.”

Image: Handcuffs, via Shutterstock.

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by Caitlyn

On April 18, 2012 at 6:44 pm

MOOD SWINGS?!? Your 6 year old acts like a maniac and is taken to a police station in handcuffs and you defend her by saying she was having a bad day?!? The day my kid even thinks that any behavior like that is acceptable will be a cold day in hell. Good luck with that one when she’s 16….

2. by Cindy

On April 18, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Omg… She is a child. I have seen plenty of children act out. I’m not saying ts ok but I don’t thnk a child should be placed in cuffs. If you cant control a 6 yr old then mabe you shouldn’t be working with children. Call the child’s parents and figure out the best way to control the situation. I’m sure all you doo doo bird adults can out your heads together and help calm down 1 child. Shame on all of you.

3. by Stephanie

On April 18, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Truth is in most jurisdictions they cannot actually charge a juvenile with a crime until they reach the age of 7. She will not have an adjudication against her at all, so no juvenile delinquency record will occur.

As for the parents of this child, WTH is your problem? My son is 6.5. He has mood swings like any other six year old child, but he DOES NOT “throw furniture” or turn over large pieces of furniture. He might through a toy or a pencil, but not furniture.

This situation needs to be thoroughly investigated. Why did this child go off like that? What happened in the moments before she lost control of herself? If nothing in particular set her off, then she needs some behavior management counseling ASAP.

4. by Terrie D

On April 18, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Charging a 6 year old? Are you serious? I can see the suspension but all that child needed was a good old fashion spanking and punishment. NO child that young needs to be scared by policemen, cuffed and brought to jail over something like this. I mean, seriously, can you not handle a six year old? If you ask me, the teacher and principal needs to go learn how to deal with children a little better and that probably would not have happened. This will be on the child’s record for the rest of her life and it’s ridiculous.

5. by Cassie

On April 18, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I would venture a guess that the young girl had been on stimulants for her ADHD or was given antidepressants for her moodiness and was having a violent reaction. If that is happening, please call the doctor right away and ask to stop those meds. Also, look into possible autism spectrum disorder.

Oh, and to Caitlyn, don’t judge too harshly. You don’t know the whole story. You wouldn’t believe what we have been through for the past 8 years with our 10 years old son. He is the oldest of 3 and our other kids are not at all like him. We are good parents. I am an elementary school teacher. It’s important to me to teach my kids right from wrong and to work hard and always do their best. It’s not easy to parent behaviorally challenged children, but it’s even more difficult to deal with people’s judgement of you, the parent.

6. by Misty

On April 18, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Sounds more like some kind of mental issues may be involved. The police did right, considering there were other little ones around. if this kind of “mood swings” are the norm for this little girl, mom needs to get her in for a psych eval.

7. by Nickalli

On April 18, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Wow! The parent needs to have some serious counseling if she thinks this is just a “bad day”. Your article is also misleading as those are not the cuffs that police would use on a child – they have special soft ones that are for the mentally unstable and juvy offenders. She was probably cuffed to protect herself as much as it is just policy. My child wasn’t perfect and threw a temper tantrum – once.

8. by Sara

On April 18, 2012 at 11:07 pm

What the hell is wrong with this picture. Arresting a child seriously get off your damn high horse. Get down on eye level with this child and find out whats going on. There’s no excuse to scar her or other classmates. They will NEVER forget that. How sad :(

9. by Flamingo queen

On April 18, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Nobody knows the details but the people who were there when it all happened. We also don’t know if this girl has any kind of disability or medical diagnosis which could potentially influence her behavior. That being said, that sounds like a pretty violent “mood swing” & the adults present have to protect the girl from injuring herself AND others- how would this girl’s mom feel if another student hurt HER daughter while they were having a “mood swing” or a “bad day”? I am an educator in the public schools, and have been bitten, kicked, & hit by students as young as 3 & 4 years old, but these students have significant disabilities & limitations that affect their ability to fully understand the consequences of & to control their behavior. Should they be put in handcuffs when their behavior gets out of control? Each case has to be considered individually, but I can understand that the officials in this case were trying to QUICKLY stop the behaviors that obviously were violent & could have caused a lot of serious injuries to the girl herself & other students and adults around her. I’m sure there are plenty of educators like me who have been in similar situations & have had to make quick decisions to protect children-there are “guidelines” within each school system that are to be followed in these situations that are established & required to be followed to make sure that responses are fair, not extreme, & effectively ” diffuse” the situation as quickly as possible. Yes, handcuffs on a 6 year old seem extreme, but we don’t know how dangerous the situation was because we WEREN’T there!

10. by melissa

On April 18, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Get to the bottom of this problem and nip it before this child grows up causing bigger problems in society!

11. by rachel

On April 18, 2012 at 11:26 pm

My husband is a police officer, and honestly sometimes when children get out of control this has to be done. He has come home to tell me about 10 year old kids who were hitting and throwing stuff at their parents. When you think about it, there were other children around and the teachers hands are tied because they can’t lay hands on her in order to subdue her, if they did that could be a huge law suit. Whenever the cops are called for a minor the parents are informed then if not before. Not saying that the adults were right, and the child was wrong, but the cops did what they are allowed to do, they restrained the child without physically harming her (aka spanking, or other methods.) My husband always feels sad for children like this, and usually it is from bad parenting or a disorder of some sort. That family, especially the little girl needs prayer. Not to mention all the other little children who were probably scared to have that happen as well.

12. by mandy

On April 18, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Is this mom really defending her daughter???? If the child has problems and she has done stuff like this before (at home) maybe the parents should home school their child it is NOT acceptable for any child do the things that child did!!!! I wouldn’t want a child like that in the same class as my 6 year old. What if the child had a “bad day” and ends up hurting or worse killing other child by knocking a bookshelf over on them????? Should they just let something like that go to and just simply call the parents??? They did the right thing by calling the cops maybe people should teach their children what’s acceptable and what’s not!

13. by Patrice

On April 18, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Just a couple things here: for one why wasn’t the mother called home and/or to job to come get her child from school? She is 6 years old, she should not be taken to a police station where you have real criminals in there. And two: that is not a bad day nor a mood swing, that seems to me as that child has some other issue within her maybe her mom is in denial about because my son is 6 years old, he has bad days at school which he may talk too much, or him and friends play a little pass reccess when it’s work time but it’s no way a teacher can ever tell me, my son did that because his butt would be mines but at the same I would want to be notify & I’m coming to pick him up & we are having a long talk of why this happen. So I just feel mom denial, teacher should had called her to come get her child asap but suspension is right for this child maybe kicked out but handcuff taking to a police station maybe not. But that is just crazy to me that this 6 year old cause so much like in a class. I know the other students had stories to tell their parents after school. Mom needs to get to the bottom of what’s wrong and/or bothering her daughter and cut this behavior off now because if not this just the beginning.

14. by Chelsea

On April 19, 2012 at 12:02 am

I agree that there is more to this story then we’re being told. I highly doubt it’s just a little girl that freaked out for no reason at all. Like others have said i’d like to know the events that lead up to this and if there is something going on deeper with the girl other then mood swings. But if she’s going off to the point where she might hurt herself or others, it’s not like a teacher can just hold the kid down.

15. by christina

On April 19, 2012 at 12:11 am

for all the people pointing blame at the parent you need to place your self in their shoes. I for one understand what it is like to have a child with violent outbursts. most of it comes from mental issues or even other disabilities like autism and aspbergers disorders. Yes it is sad to hear about this, but stop blaming the parents because there could be underlying issues involved. i have been in that situation and know that the parent is probably feeling isolated and that no one understands. regular parenting classes will not help if there is a mental condition involved. but the best advice is seeking help from the school. they could set up a behavoral plan or an iep to address this issue. also contacting the local behavoiral health clinic would help to. if not for the child but for the parent to vent the frustrations and stop feeling like they are dealing with this all by themselves.

16. by Sarah

On April 19, 2012 at 1:31 am

Bottom line: the police were there; they used their best judgement in handling the situation.
    If this is what her mother calls a “bad day”, what kind of discipline/guidance is she getting at home, if any?
    Sure, it was probably disturbing to the other kids to see a classmate in cuffs; wonder how they felt about the tossed furniture? The person who was injured? What if they had seen such behavior go unpunished? I think those things are far more scarring, in the long run.
    Granted, maybe -probably, even- there are deeper causes that could be/need to be addressed, but you have to protect the other children! Teachers are figuratively handcuffed: they can’t do more than talk, and that doesn’t always get the job done, not quickly, and particularly with such a young child.

17. by Amy S

On April 19, 2012 at 1:43 am

This is sad.. She threw a tantrum, she didn’t show up to school with an automatic weapon… I have three children, and my two oldest are well behaving (one is an A Honors student) while my 3 year old is a whole different story.. The two older children and I struggle almost daily with him, from hateful words to violent behavior towards them for no other apparent reason besides not getting his way.. Sometimes it is hard, and I will seek help as soon as it is age appropriate, for the most part we handle it with support of family and friends.. Within the next month I will see where he is headed, but I’m worried.. IM WORRIED, THAT IF ANYONE EVER HANDCUFFS MY SMALL CHILD FOR THROWING A TANTRUM, HE WON’T BE THE ONLY ONE RIDING DOWNTOWN IN HANDCUFFS.. Very inexperienced officers , school employees not prepared… to have to resort to such a measure, unless this child is 6’4″ and 250 lbs. Really, where was social services or a SCHOOL COUNSELOR or someone this child was comfortable enough with to talk her down, and not resort to TAKING HER DOWN.. talk about harming the child’s mind even more. I feel for the mother, but I also feel for the people who were so inexperienced with their type of employment to have to do this to a 6 year old. Law enforcement is not only about catching criminals, but keeping the innocent safe.. To me this child was an innocent too. The mother maybe not so much. You should know your own child well enough to know whether it is safe to send her to a public school, and this can not be a first episode. Personally I think the mom is the one to blame, for her lack of knowing her own child’s limits/boundaries, or the lack of handling it properly to keep EVERYONE safe. Maybe her lack of truly caring what her child does as it sounds from her defense.. If a parent doesn’t reach out for help, chances are the child won’t get it… I will definitely NOT send a child of mine into a situation where anyone is at risk… She knew better

18. by Lisa

On April 19, 2012 at 1:55 am

My son has done this at school and he is the same age. He got sent home for the day. He has ADHA among a few other things in question. I feel as tho some action should have been taken place so that the child understands that is the way to handle ur self. Mind u she is 6 not 16 she does. Ot know just yet how to control her anger. I think it was uncalled for w the police and handcuffs. Maybe this lil girl has some issues on y she acted this way. However if we were able to actual punish OUR children when needed and how WE c fit then may e the kids wouldnt act out so bad. The wod is goin down hill, the way we and r parents were raised was “wrong” but yet it was fine for 100s of years. Now they say we cant do anything w out us gettin n trouble, no wonder y kids act as they do. If they can handcuff and scare a lil kid then y cant we give them an old fastion butt whopping? I just think how they handled it w her age was deff wrong!!!! Now if this child has had many run ins in school w anger issues then parents need a ralking to!

19. by tasha

On April 19, 2012 at 2:48 am

I have to say this child more than likely has autism . My daughter is 9 and she is home schooled now because of problems like this . I don’t think anyone has a right to judge her or her mom . A lot of post I have read on here make me upset . Who are you to judge her ? People do not realize that this mother is going to protect her child in any way possible . This little girl had a melt down and the school should have called a parent first . I read this and all the smart butt comments . Don’t judge this child like you know her cause you don’t and if you don’t have an autistic child then you don’t have any idea . If your child has any signs of autism get them tested . I feel for this mom and her baby . I have been there and I know the feeling all to well . I live with autism every day of my life . Don’t say harsh and cruel things cause you don’t know this family

20. by BRENDA CARTER

On April 19, 2012 at 3:07 am

OH MY GOD! I FIND IT REALLY HARD TO SWALLOW THT ONE! HOW DO YOU HANDCUFF A 6YR OLD! N YES IT IS NOTED THT THIS CHILD HAS A PYSCHOLOGICAL PROBLEM OF SM SORT. AS HER MOTHER YOU SHOULD NOT JUST BRUSH THIS OFF WITH HER HAVING A BAD DAY! WHT IS GOIN ON WITH YOU!!! PLEASE SEEK MEDICAL HELP FOR THIS CHILD OR IF SHE’S ON MEDICATION YOUR DOCTOR MAY NEED TO ADJUST IT. WHTEVR THE CASE MAYBE AS AUTHORITY FIGURES N TEACHERS THT SHOULD BE YOUR FOCUS. SHE MAY NEED TO BE IN A SCHOOL FOR SPECIAL BEHAVIOR STUDENTS. IN ANY CASE I AM SENDING UP A SPECIAL PRAYER JUST FOR THI CHILD.

21. by mama d

On April 19, 2012 at 4:07 am

What’s ridiculous is that ten years ago if a kid did this the damn teacher would have taken care of it and waited till the cops got there. Our society is so scared as a whole to discipline children it isn’t even funny. I remember when I was in 4K I had my arm scratched all to hell by a classmate, he was taken to the principles office and got the paddle and I was bandaged up in medical by the time we got back to class both our parents were there and his mom spanked him to. Needless to say he didn’t have anoother outburst in that class. No one wants to take responsibility for anything including the discipline of todays children, everything is blamed on mental disorders, ADHD, ADD, and what ever have you. Stop pumping kids full of drugs, some kids, learn slow, some don’t want to pay attention. That is why teachers go to school to be able to teach, if they can’t then find a better teacher don’t just jump on the wagon and say something is wrong with the kid. My personal opinion take it or leave it.

22. by Bobbie

On April 19, 2012 at 5:08 am

I am from the local area where this happened and would like to say that the mother was called multiple times and was unable to be reached before they called the police. The police acted in the best interest of everyone involved by cuffing her to prevent further harm to herself or anyone else as she had already injured 2 people. I do think charging her with a crime was foolish, however if you are aware of what a large majority of our children grow up to be around here, perhaps they thought it would scare her into a better future. We have one of the worst drop out rates in the country and have a growing gang and drug problems. I see this type of behavior from many children in the area, because they are learning that the gangster life is cool. Something must be done to change this pattern. That said I do not know her specifically, but I do support the police and their chosen actions.

23. by Glenn

On April 19, 2012 at 5:27 am

The child was out of control, the police did their job properly. This is a lesson for the child, there are consequences for bad behavior, a lesson the child may not have gotten from a loving mother.

24. by Kim

On April 19, 2012 at 5:50 am

This article doesn’t mention what other articles do: the school called both parents. Neither would answer the phone. When the police took the child, they also called her parent to come get her. No one answered. It was the child’s aunt who was finally reached and picked the child up.

Someone said their child had better not be handcuffed for throwing a tantrum. This was not just a tantrum. Throwing furniture and knocking over a bookshelf… What if your child had been in line of that chair or next to that bookshelf? The school couldn’t touch the child, they couldn’t get the parents, so they did the next best thing to get the child under control. What would have been better? To stand by and let this child hurt herself and others until she calmed down?

25. by Lynn

On April 19, 2012 at 5:54 am

I don’t even think I have heard of the worst menopausal woman acting like this! This is not “normal” mood swings. Bi-polar maybe. She definitely needs some type of help. Sounds more like she needs anger management.

26. by Erin

On April 19, 2012 at 6:16 am

OK, people I see a lot of your comments on here and I can honestly see both sides to what everyone is saying. Yes, most likely the child has something such as Asbergers/Autism, however we DON’T KNOW. It could just be that she gets no discipline at home. How often do we see bad parenting gone wrong?! But again, we don’t know!

Then again, somebody was injured in trying to intervene in her “mood swing”. LUCKILY it was not another child. With that being said, I think they did the right thing by getting the child out of that situation and the police did what they know how to do, trying to make situations safe. They have a rule, if someone is in the bad of a police car, they have to have them restrained. HOw do we know that if she wasn’t restrained and went to get out of the car that with her “mood swing/bad day” she wouldn’t have grabbed their gun or something and tried to seriously harm someone?!?! She may have been still going off in her rampage when they got there and just for her own safety they did what they think is best. Was she traumatized by this? Yeah maybe, however maybe she’ll think twice about doing it again!!! She definitely needs to have some sort of eval done to determine what is going on there.

27. by Kala

On April 19, 2012 at 6:27 am

I teach 2nd grade. I have seen this, and it’s not “mood swings.” this child has serious issues that need immediate intervention. As far as the comment that “if you can’t control a 6 year old, maybe you don’t need to be working with children.” that is the most judgemental statement I have ever heard, and obviously comes from someone who has never been put into a situation where a child is throwing things across the room. Let me explain something to you darling. There are 20 other 6 year olds in the room, and at that point, their safety is priority number 1. You get them out of harms way, and call in back up. Often there is no “strategy” that works with a child of this nature. No calm words, no reasoning, no force short of complete restraint works sometimes. All I’m saying is, don’t judge this school staff. Not that i have ever heard of our school cuffing a kid, but You have no idea whats really going on.

28. by Elizabeth

On April 19, 2012 at 6:49 am

I agree that this was not a “tantrum.” There are points that were left out. Some others have stated them.vthey tried to call her parents several times, her aunt was the one to pick her up. The article did not mention that this started in the classroom. She shoved two students and knocked things down in the classroom. She ran from the adults as they tried to get her to the office. Now, if she shoved my child or it was your child, you might think differently. I agree that it would have been better to call in the school counselor. But guess what? With budget cuts, they may not have one. From there, it seems like another medical professional would have been better. It is a sad situation for all parties involved. I’m sure that the officer that handcuffed her didn’t go home to his family and boast, ” Honey, I arrested a six year old.”

29. by shanna

On April 19, 2012 at 7:06 am

I think instead of the mom trying to complain about the school and police that she needs to worry about her child.I know people say why could they not handle a 6 year old at the school.You forget that a school have limits on how to handle children who cause trouble.I feel sorry for the child because she probably lives in a house where the adults act like this too.

30. by Yvette

On April 19, 2012 at 7:51 am

Kudos to the school for taking action to remove her from the classroom and the school. How she was removed is beside the point. (It’s not like they beat her with their night stick.) The mother of that child is avoiding the real issue which is that her child is a danger to those around her. If her child is going to have “bad days” like that, she should think about homeschooling. It’s not fair to the other kids to have to suffer through her bad days and possibly be injured in the process. Also, it’s funny how her child endangers other children but the police are the ones being criticized. Something is definitely wrong with this picture and society today. Very sad.

31. by Jeannie Hughes

On April 19, 2012 at 7:52 am

As a preschool teacher of 18 years I can say I’ve seen a lot of acting out. I can say that parents have brought this kind of reaction towards their child on their selves. If the teacher or the principle had touched that child in any way they would have been subject to charges themselves or civil liability at the least. I have seen a child who would not calm down by listening to my words not by cautionary words or soothing words. When that happens you have no idea how frustrating it is when the parents aren’t available and you have to make a decision to protect not only that one child who is throwing the fit but also the other children in the classroom as well as the adults that are subjected to the behaviors as well.
    I am trained in a form of restraint techniques that are invaluable in these situations. But would you be responding any better if the article said that the teacher held the child down and did not allow her to move until she was back in control of her self? I dare say no!

32. by Ruby Thibodeau

On April 19, 2012 at 8:26 am

I agree with what the police did. I am a mother of two if my children ever acted that way i would have called the cops myself.

33. by Carolyn Elmore

On April 19, 2012 at 9:14 am

She should have been taken to a hospital and tests done for at least Diabetes….she was a danger to not only others but to herself. Handcuffs were a little over the top…but something had to be done.

34. by Kathi F

On April 19, 2012 at 10:10 am

Regardless of the cause, being mental issues or poor discpline, the mom is getting so much heat for reducing a potential dangerous situation to a bad mood. 6 yr olds that act like that become 15 yr olds that act like that.. the root of the problem needs to be discovered and worked on.
    To those blaming the teacher/school, what are they to do? they are not allowed to touch the child, they are not allowed to restrain the child, if anything had happened to the child it would of been the schools fault. And from the schools stand point they can not turn their back on actions like these. Gone are the days when our small children are blameless, we have elementary students that are bringing guns and drugs to school.
    To the people that want to blame society for making everything about mental issues therefore shrugging off causes like ADHD and Autism, be thankful for your obviously perfect children, because you have no idea of how hard it is on parents trying to raise/help children that “don’t fit the mold”

35. by kim

On April 19, 2012 at 11:12 am

I think the cuffs will scare the child, maybe scare them like they do to teenagers. Its not too early to start if this child is acting out violently. Something similiar happen at my daughters school. The child threw a chair at the teacher if front of everyone. They called the mother in front of the class. The class heard the mother laughing. My daughter wondered why jis mom would laugh. It is the parents fault their child acts crazy. This sounds like a case for CPS. The cops should arrest the parents next!!!! When this kid becomes a teenager and knocks a bookshelf on someone, they can cause serious damage. The parents should definately be under investagation!

36. by Chris

On April 19, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I did not read down through the comments before posting. I’m guessing my thoughts will mirror others. But that mother’s attitude is probably a big indicator of why that child has behavior problems. She is ignoring some huge red flags. My advice would be to nip this in the bud while she is small through therapy, anger management, thoughtful consideration of the household emotional environment; and last but not least divine intervention. Take that girl to a good bible based church where she can learn the fruit of the Spirit.

37. by Marie

On April 19, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I teach and have had violent outburst children in my room. You may not touch them. The guide line is to get your other children out of the way to safety and get help by those who have restrait training.
    The child is protected by privacy policies, that make schools look like they have something to hide. What the policies are actually doing is protecting the child.
    You would be amazed by the strength of a six year old that has lost control.
    As for the other children in the room, one time after a violent outburst my other students were more concerned about my emotional well being then being frightened. They trusted me to keep them safe. These were kind, compassionate third graders whose compassionate also helped their classmate have one of his best years.

38. by Dan

On April 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I cannot believe this kid acted out like that. I love how many of the parents on here say the teacher and principal need to have better training to handle kids like this. First of all, you don’t know the whole story. The teacher and principal probably did do everything they could to control the student. Most likely they called the parents, who didn’t answer the phone. So as to not scare the other “normal” kids the principal had to remove the kid from the school. So he/she called the police. I don’t think the did anything wrong. Remember, they can’t just hold the kid down and wait till she calms down, or slap her. I challenge any parent to try and calm down a kid like that without touching they to calm them down. Plus, those great parents of hers really seem to be lost when it comes to parenting. She had a “bad day”, come on really. What the hell did you do to that kid before she got to school?

39. by Teacher

On April 19, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I teach public school special education and this type of behavior happens in my class every day. Stop judging the cops. They did the best that they could to keep her safe. Think about what would have happened if she attacked the cops and they had to be more forceful with her. Many people do not understand that there are A LOT of children out there who are capable of seriously injuring themselves and others. The cops were not arresting her and sending her to jail. They were keeping her safe with the only tools they had available to them.

40. by Jessica

On April 19, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I think it’s pretty ignorant to blame the teachers and principal with the laws these days, what did you expect them to do? I’m sure they were trying to talk to her, but do ya really think she was listening? So were they expected to just sit there and let her throw her temper tantrum until the parents got there and risk her hurting someone else or herself? From the mom’s comments, I can see where she thinks that behavior is acceptable. Mood swings?? Get real! Hopefully the whole thing did scare the crap out of that kid, hopefully enough for her to realize there are consequences for our actions and apparently she is not learning that at home. Sometimes you have to be extreme for the child to learn their lesson.

41. by Madalin

On April 19, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Reading this article has brought a few thoughts too my mind. I think they need to investigate what goes on in the little girls home. Most 6 years olds aren’t going to just one day wake up and start throwing things, knocking furniture over, and ripping things off the wall. I say this is learnt behavior, even if she may of saw it on tv or from another family member. If it’s a family member acting like this, they need help. If she saw something violent on tv, her mother needs to stop letting her watch these things. And really? Charged with assult? Common sense would be too remove anything the child could throw away from her, and to obviously get out of the way. She’s six, so I highly doubt she could of hurt an adult that bad. Maybe kids her age, but really a school principle? People are just too harsh on kids, especially the little ones now. Adults like to say “your generation is bad”. Well take a look at what adults teach their children, and expose them too through music, internet, tv or violent video games. Society just keeps getting worse & worse, and charging 6 year olds with crimes isn’t going to help any.

42. by Courtney

On April 20, 2012 at 9:42 am

For one, I believe handcuffing the little girl was the right thing to do. If she went that “crazy” imagine what else she could do. So placing her in cuffs was just a safety precaution. And for another thing, I dont believe a little girl should be charged with a felony that early in life. It probably is something she learned at home, or on tv. This little girl needs help. She needs to have a psychiatrist evaluate her, and get her the help she needs. The mother also needs to have an evaluation done if she believes that this kind of behavior is just a normal “bad day”. Come on parents, where has the disipline Prayers are going out to this family.

43. by Alicia

On April 20, 2012 at 10:11 am

Good job apparently that child needs more than just being arrested, don’t understand how someone is appalled by the actions of the police and not the child and her mother! That kid and her mom need a serious wake up call, that is NOT acceptable, how would you feel if your child was in the class terrified? Wouldn’t be such horrible punishment then. This is why kids grow up thinking they can do whatever they want with no consequences, because there is always some parent thinking their kid does no wrong. Discipline your kids please, quit justifying their bad actions!

44. by Olivia

On April 20, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Taking the Girl to the police station would have been enough of a scare they did not have to put cuffs on her. This will be a lifelong lesson if it does not do some more serious damage to her. If she does have some mental Problems this is just going to make it worse.

45. by Sasha

On April 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm

It would seem Flamingo Queen had the right idea about the entire situation. This child could have hurt herself or another child. Leaving her on her rampage was not the thing to do while they called parents or whoever.

46. by Kendra

On April 24, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Wow some of you people are too harsh on the 6 YEAR OLD and the parents. Talking about meds and mental issues, the child was 6. Maybe her outbursts are out of control, yet no reason to bash anyone!

47. by marie

On May 31, 2012 at 11:46 pm

putting a 6year old in handcuff, I disagree. The child will be traumatized and may have fear all her life. Sometime the fear can turn into hatred. the best way was to get the child away from the classroom and call her parents. Also, this child needs stern and consistent disciplining from the parents that involves consequences. Don’t take it likely when a child start having temper tantrum. Take care of the issue right away and be serious about what you are saying and doing.

48. by Sarah

On June 2, 2012 at 10:14 pm

From the daughter of a police officer: If she wasn’t handcuffed, how could the officer who is driving transport her safely? What if she harmed herself while in the back of the squad car? So what if she was shaken up? It might have been traumatic to her but I bet it was also a humbling experience. They stopped her from acting out any further. She shouldn’t be acting that wild. If she has “mood swings” she needs to be taken to a psychologist because that sort of behavior is a sign of an underlying problem. She definitely has anger issues that need to be worked out before she reaches puberty.

49. by Diane

On June 29, 2012 at 9:51 am

Mood swings?? Really? This kid needs psychiatric help…this goes beyond mood swings!!!

50. by Stephanie

On January 20, 2013 at 10:07 am

Please have compassion for everyone involved, especially the child. I have a 7 year old with Intermittent Explosive Disorder. Her twin sister does not; we have a stable 2 parent household, no abuse of any kind. My daughter with IED has a genetic variation that predisposes her to violent outburst which is being mitigated by medication. That said, the medication alone hasn’t entirely eradicated the violent outbursts, but it’s helped. It’s extremely stressful and emotionally draining being the parent of an explosive child. There is no doubt that this child needs serious psychiatric help, but detaining her by police isn’t the solution. This is indicative of a larger problem within our society of incarcerating people with serious mental disorders rather than offering the help that they need.

51. by Sophia, age 7

On January 20, 2013 at 10:19 am

I am 7 year old kid and I have tantrums. I have tantrums from food allergies. Whenever I eat certain foods, a lot of kids are allergic to some foods. Whenever I have a tantrum, I feel sad inside afterwards. Most kids have tantrums, afterwards, feel a deep cry in their heart. If kids don’t feel that deep cry in their heart, it’s a problem. Feelings get hurt easily but you always have to say sorry no matter what you do. Yesterday, I got in an argument, but I didn’t have a tantrum completely. To help that child that threw that big tantrum, I suggest that they see a brain doctor. A lot of kids see brain doctors. If I could talk to that 6 year old child, I would say, “Stay away from things like artificial colors and flavors. When I was 4, I started having tantrums. When I went to kindergarten, I didn’t like to do things. Then one day, I found out I was allergic to a lot of artificial colors and flavors. I stayed away from them. It sort of worked. Then, when I was 6, I went to a brain doctor. The brain doctor told me that I was allergic to foods. So he gave me medication. I would hope that the 6 year old child would not have tantrums. Don’t give up. Think of happy things; when you think of happy things, you will calm down. Don’t give up!!!”