Polish Woman Endures 75 Days’ Labor to Save Twins

A Polish woman whose pregnancy was in grave danger of severely premature delivery spent 75 days in labor–during most of which she was nearly upside-down–in order to save her babies.

Joanna Krzysztonek was carrying triplets, but one of the fetuses was born prematurely and died.  In order to stop labor and allow the remaining two fetuses to grow, Krzysztonek remained in the unusual, uncomfortable position at the hospital for more than two more months.

Reuters reports that Krzysztonek gave birth February 15 to a girl, Iga, and a boy, Ignacy, at a gestational age of 32 weeks.  The twins remain in incubators at the hospital, but they are expected to return home soon.

Krzysztonek reportedly had balance problems after emerging from her bed, but is now able to visit and hold her babies daily.

Image: Small baby’s hand, via Shutterstock.

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by Ruth

On March 12, 2012 at 12:28 pm

GOD is good.

2. by Jay

On March 12, 2012 at 9:38 pm

It’s amazing how modern medicine is able to keep all three of them alive when if done naturally at 2 more people would have died. Congrats to the willpower it took to save their lives.

3. by angel

On March 12, 2012 at 9:53 pm

it’s amazing what doctors can do to save the lives of your children i recently had to have an emergency c-sec at 26 1/2 weeks my baby girl is now 27 weeks – 1 week old.. my water brook at 24 1/4 weeks and the doctors keep me pregnant for as long as they could.. it has been hard for me and my husband i couldnt even begin to imagen how hard it was for you and your family..

4. by Andrea

On March 12, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I understand a fraction of what she went through. I was 23 weeks preg and 3 cm diltated when I was admitted in the hospital. The kept me in that position for almost a week. I eventually had my son at 26 weeks 5 days weighing 2.4 pounds. It was the scariest thing I’ve ever gone through. He spent 2 months in the hospital. He is now almost 5 years old and doing well. The mother of those twins is so strong. God is good and those twins are blessed. I pray that they grow up healthy and strong.

5. by Sarah

On March 12, 2012 at 11:28 pm

This is fantastic! Although I am amazed that people think God has something to do with this!!! It’s all about the mom and the medical expertise of knowing what to do. God doesn’t decided who live or die because there’s no such thing as God!!!

6. by Fay

On March 13, 2012 at 12:02 am

How awesome that this woman was able to have the strength to do what she needed for those babies! And to also have a great medical team along side her! And most importantly God! He made this miraclehappen! How dare anyone bash the beliefs of someone else. Respect.

7. by Elisa

On March 13, 2012 at 12:06 pm

God is good! I am so proud of this mom. It’s not easy thing to do. To sacrifice your life for the sake of your children. I got to say I am the luckiest mom a live. I had an emergency C-section at 34 weeks. I got pregnant at age 21 I weighted 98 pounds and I was expecting twin boys. Everyone thought there was no way I was going to make it. Nobody believed I was having twins. One Friday coming from work I had a terrible pain on my left side I had no clue it was contraction since my water didn’t break so I went on the entire night miserably until the next morning. I went to ER that’s when I was rushed from here to there. And the Drs told me I was very lucky. To this day when I think about it and look at my babies I smile and say God is wonderful regardless our behavior and acts

8. by Amy

On March 15, 2012 at 1:12 pm

God is good! He has directed this women to the right medical staff and gave her the strength to endorse what ever she had went through. Best wishes and God bless you and your twins

9. by Brantly

On March 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

Lol god. Yeah because he exists, im sure he’s chillin with santa clause and the tooth fairy smoking a bowl.

10. by nicole

On March 17, 2012 at 7:47 pm

God gave her amazing will power and strength!

11. by Alms

On April 12, 2012 at 10:20 am

What a waste of time for the doctors.

12. by victor

On April 12, 2012 at 10:30 pm

My name is victor I LOVE my wife and she have a problem for pregnancy I go meaning peace looking for help I don’t see help, until see this man sabon sprit doctor he now have the solution on the problem that I face, for over 4year to 10year my wife she is pregnancy drsabon now give me mercy for that, over one month my wife she now pregnant me and family happy, today I have a baby boy now person that need help he or she contact me at drsabonspelltmple@gmail.com thank you.

13. by Leatrice Mena

On April 18, 2012 at 2:17 am

God gave her amazing will power and strength!