More Doctors “Firing” Patients Who Say No to Vaccines

A growing number of pediatricians are refusing to treat families who choose not to vaccinate their children, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

Medical associations such as the American Academy of Pediatrics don’t recommend that doctors “fire” families who opt out of vaccines. Instead they encourage pediatricians to bring the topic up at multiple visits but continue to work with families. Yet research shows that it’s increasingly common for practices to push these patients out.

From the Wall Street Journal:

In a study of Connecticut pediatricians published last year, some 30% of 133 doctors said they had asked a family to leave their practice for vaccine refusal, and a recent survey of 909 Midwestern pediatricians found that 21% reported discharging families for the same reason.

By comparison, in 2001 and 2006 about 6% of physicians said they “routinely” stopped working with families due to parents’ continued vaccine refusal and 16% “sometimes” dismissed them, according to surveys conducted then by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Many pediatricians see administering vaccines as one of their main duties in keeping children healthy, and say it’s difficult to work with families when parents and doctors don’t see eye-to-eye on this key issue.

Pediatrician Allan LaReaux of Kalamazoo, Mich., stopped treating non-vaccinating families in 2010, in part because he worries that children who have not been immunized could make others in the waiting room sick. From the Journal:

“You feel badly about losing a nice family from the practice,” [said] Dr. LaReau, but families who refused to vaccinate their kids were told that “this is going to be a difficult relationship without this core part of pediatrics.” Some families chose to go elsewhere while others agreed to have their kids inoculated.

Pamela Felice, an Atlanta mom whose family was dismissed by their pediatrician for refusing vaccines says it’s been difficult to find another doctor. One of her children has gastrointestinal problems and regressed development that she believes is related to immunizations. At least four practices have denied them a first appointment when Felice explains her opposition to vaccines.

What do you think? Do doctors have a responsibility to treat patients even if they refuse vaccines?

Image: Doctor, baby and mom via Shutterstock.

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by Leslie

On February 16, 2012 at 11:50 am

I think it’s ok for drs to refuse any patients for any reason. Parents shouldn’t be forced to give immunizations however if you don’t agree with your doctor’s opinion about immunizations, wouldn’t you feel comfortable going to a doctor that has your same core beliefs on the matter? I think if I was on the “no immunization” side I would like to find a doctor who is educated and has expert knowledge on not giving immunizations. Also, if it’s supposedly hard to find a doctor who doesn’t give immunizations, shouldn’t that be a red flag that maybe it really is important to?

2. by Laura

On February 16, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I say good riddence to any Dr trying to force poison into our children. They say they’re afraid of non vaccinated kids getting the other kids sick. That’s ridiculous and highly unlikely. I’ve seen kids get Chicken pox AFTER getting vaccinated. So that theory has no basis. Drs vaccinate to save the majority at the destruction of few. They can be bet harmful and have caused all kinds of trouble in my kids. I saw “red flags” when my child developed asthma after vaccinations, with no family history to blame. Then he developed horrible eczema a week after get the chicken pox. So you can only see so many red flags before you decide that enough is enough. I know they can be helpful but there needs to be greater care in what they put in the vaccines. I will alway educate before I vaccinate. If I would have done that before, I would have never given him ones that contain cells from aborted fetuses and other discusting additives. So any dr who tries to force me doesn’t desreve one more cent from me!

3. by Alena

On February 16, 2012 at 1:54 pm

My children’s pediatrician will not treat patients who refuse to immunize their children and that only makes me like him more. He said it is unfair to children who do get their shots and he is right. What happens to my newborn (who is in the process of getting her shots) when she is sitting in the waiting room next to a person who has measles or rubella? My child could DIE because some uninformed, paranoid person refused to have their child immunized against diseases that were practically eradicated in the US. And honestly, if a Dr has his own private practice, it’s his own business and he has every right to refuse customers/patients.

4. by Terry Elisabeth

On February 16, 2012 at 7:03 pm

100% in accord with Alena, the person above me in the comments.

5. by Jennifer

On February 16, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I think that Doctors have the right to refuse service just like liquor stores. I really don’t understand why parents would just refuse to get their kids vaccinated unless there is something wrong with that child that they can’t. Why would you want your chile to get sick or even worse get polio or rubella or whooping cough or something like that. They can die from that. I’m not saying they need a flu shot but some other ones they do need.

6. by JRAE

On February 16, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I believe that vaccines are a nessecity and very important. I think that not only doctors should turn them away, I belive schools should as well.. I dont want my children in the same area as another child that could poteinally give my daughter Rubella, Mumps, Measels… etc.. Just because some hippie over barring parent doesnt want their child to get their shots.. These are the people that are going to bring back a plague of dieases that will kill more children…

7. by Cynthia

On February 16, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I disagree and agree…I disagree since the bottom line has to do with the Dr’s ego, they feel if you don’t agree with them on this that you won’t agree to anything they have to say. Which a Dr is there to help you and it’s ultimately your decision what to do with your own child….Then other part I agree its there practice but once again its just their own ego talking trust me they arent caring if you are sitting in a room with unvaccinated childred, you do it everyday without knowing. So any person who makes the comment that the parents who dont want to vaccinate their own children, they are paranoid one and they are really not very educated in anything. Adults, children and babies are all around us unvaccinated have been for years. Bottom line find a Dr who might share your views, but not an egomaniac.

8. by danielle

On February 16, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I know parents who have said they’d rather let their kids die than vaccinate them. I can definitely see where stances like that would be difficult for doctors to work with. I agree with Leslie that if they feel that way they should just try and find doctors with similar beliefs.

9. by Carrie Jo

On February 16, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I think that it depends on the reason for vaccine refusal. If the parent is refusing because her child has shown adverse reactions in the past, I think the doctor ought to take that into consideration. If the parent is refusing simply because they feel the vaccines *might* be dangerous, I think the doctor has every right to refuse to treat them.

10. by Heather

On February 16, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Alena, you need to do your research first. How many people in your life have you seen w/ mumps, measles and rubella??? My son had a severe almost life threatening reaction to the MMR & chickenpox vaccine…..he is now exempt from these vaccines because he was deathly ill for 15 days after receiving the vaccines. Upon research (medical journals our doctors use as well as other resources) I found what really goes into these vaccines. My son’s pediatrician;s response at the time was “well it was almost leife-threatening, the government has funding for families who lose a child because of or are affected by vaccines”….like this was supposed to comfort me. He then urged we continue w/ vaccinations. What sense does that make? It didn’t kill him so continue. If you’re allergic to peanuts you don’t eat peanuts right? So if you’re allergic to a vaccine shouldn’t you stop?? We have luckily found a new pediatrician who agrees with me. Get the book “The vaccine book” by Dr. Robert Sears. This book is non-biased and gives you pros and cons of all the vaccines, the history of the vaccine, the ingredients in the vaccines and known side effects. It’s a great book outlining good and bad for you to make your own decision. Another great book is “the Sanctity of Human Blood: Vaccination Is Not Immunization” by Tim O’Shea. This book is not about vaccines being bad. It shows the good and ugly as well but explains what happens to the bloodstream when injected w/ certain ingredients. The last 3 pages wrap the book up in a nutshell. Vaccines should not be given to infants who only produce about 50cc of blood versus an adolescent whop produces 120cc of blood. Toxins have a greater affect on a body w/ less blood then a body w/ more blood…so why can’t we wait until a child is 5 years old to start vaccinating? Also, diseases such as mumps and rubella and measles were already declining before the vaccines came onto the scene! So it wasn’t the vaccine that started the decline…..the vaccine came out to prevent it from coming back….and why are most of the current epidemics that do break out found in the very people who vaccinated against it…not the un-vaccinated ones????

11. by Angela

On February 16, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Laura, thank you! Some comments on here are close minded and judgmental, yours is honest and closer to reality. People thinking their kids are better than other kids simply because they are vaccinated and others are not, tells me that they are the ones paranoid not the ones that are careful about injecting god knows what into their kids!!! I personally know of a couple who’s child died 2 days after getting their first series of immunizations and the Dr. himself said that the vaccine WAS THE CAUSE and tried to tell the parents it is a small percentage risk that every parent takes when they immunize! Hardly any adults or even teens get immunizations, yet do you fear them sitting next to your children, or family members that aren’t up-to-date hold and/or your child?? Just curious….

12. by Wendy

On February 16, 2012 at 7:27 pm

JUST this week, a child was diagnosed with mumps in an AZ school district. As a result, 19 unvaccinated children have had to be removed from the school environment for a month.

I absolutely feel a provider has the right to refuse care to a family who chooses not to vaccinate. These doctors do not have experience treating and managing the conditions vaccines protect against. It is unfair of parents to expect a doctor to abide by their wishes, and then expect them to know how to manage diseases they are unfamiliar with when your child becomes ill.

If you choose not to vaccinate, fine. Make sure you find a provider who can manage the complications, should one arise.

13. by Michell

On February 16, 2012 at 7:30 pm

As a person who has had whooping cough because my parents did not vaccinate, I can tell you, if you’ve ever had it, you would vaccinate yesterday! It was horrible!!!! I would NEVER risk my child’s health. Some “red flags” do not show evidence of causality. For me, choosing to vaccinate means I’m choosing not to expose my children to harmful and life killing disease. I live in fear of whooping cough. REAL FEAR!

14. by Mommy Boots

On February 16, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Also agree with Alena. My child is vaccinated. Her immune system is now strong enough to fight off a lot of childhood diseases, but once upon a time she was a tiny newborn who could’ve died from measles, pertussis, and other diseases we vaccinate against. If you don’t want to vaccinate your kids, fine. But keep them away from my newborn babies.

15. by Belinda

On February 16, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Pediatricians should be able to chose their patients…I am so sick of hearing the whole “immunizations will hurt my children” hysterical, validation-seeking rant. Vaccinate or don’t, it’s your choice; not everyone has to agree that your choice is a good one, and you don’t have to keep trying to convince people that it is.

16. by Melissa

On February 16, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Would you put formaldehyde, mercury or dna from a monkey on your child’s plate? Then why do you want to force it into your child through the skin? You are poisoning your children by giving shots and the shots did nothing to eradicate disease. The diseases were already on decline before shots were developed for that particular disease, same with the new chicken pox virus. Excuse me for not wanting to poison my child!!!

17. by Momy2be

On February 16, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I do understand if you don’t believe in vaccine specially the new ones but to me my kids health is more important than any idea that I have from my father and his siblings we are 512 or more members and all of us have all the vaccines and guess what no trouble so dos my dad and his siblings ( the oldest is 72 years old ) . So the end result we did get protected from the disease for which we were supposed to be and honestly we are are as healthy as it can be. I have a 5 years old girl (I my self am from Europe ) I had my daughter take all the vaccines that she should here in the USA and when I went to visit my family in Europe I had her doctor over there give her those vaccines that they need for Europe but are not needed in the USA so far my daughter is a picture of health.

18. by Shara

On February 16, 2012 at 7:42 pm

While I agree that vaccinations are important for kids to have and I can see that it would put the doctor in a difficult position to have to treat a patient who’s parent refuses the vaccines, I don’t agree with the doctors “firing” patients.

We seem to be forgetting that the patients are unable to make these important decisions themselves, to make them pay for their parents’ bad decisions is almost inhumane. Some of these kids may need more monitoring than others and making it more difficult for them to obtain medical attention is not hurting the stubborn parents, it’s hurting them. I think any doctor, with basic moral values can honor that.

19. by Sierra

On February 16, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I believe it is the Job of the parents to know what’s going into their kids..my 3 year old got more sick with her flu shot then she ever did this year with out it … She also got 4 more polos shots then ur supposed at 18 months Doctors don’t know everything You as there parents does and I won’t put anything in our bodies I agree we dont need … If they wanna kick me out there lose honestly .. Doctors arnt perfect idk know how many times at this old practice I went to that I’d say my baby’s sick and they told me was over reacting they finally after she lost 2 lbs and had a ddl earinfection and calling every day for an appointment they relized I was right … And I got her mess and found my self a new doctor … All in all the doctors knows more obviously I’m not a dr but I’m Aldo with then 24-7 and I read and google and if I dint like what they say Heck ya I’m not gonna take it lol

20. by Jill

On February 16, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Anyone who refuses to vaccinate should have been born 100 years ago when that option wasn’t available. Those who refuse to immunize are uninformed and it is not only hurting their own children, but all children.

21. by Michele

On February 16, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I am a mother who has chosen not to vaccinate my children, and I have never once regretted my decision. My oldest turned 4 in October and has never had an ear infection, and is very rarely sick because his own immune system was allowed to work and is not compromised by all the additives in the vaccines. My 8 month old seems to be on the very same track as her older brother. And one comment that I find I get whenever people interact with my children in public is how alert they are. There eyes seem so bright and alive. I truly believe that is because their brains are not hampered by the chemicals found in most vaccines. And I must admit I do find it rather frustrating that it is most times difficult to find a good pediatrician that works with parents who chose not to vaccinate. I have been lucky and had two excellent doctors close to my home that take excellent care of my kids while respecting my wishes. What both doctors had that I think is a great idea since neither of my children get sick often is they had seperate waiting rooms, one for children being seen for illnesses and one for children there for well check ups. This would allow those parents afraid of their child getting something from an unvaccinated child know that they are in a room that is disease free. Maybe more doctors should look into that option before throwing people to the curb. Every child deserves good care vaccinated or not.

22. by Rose

On February 16, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I was BULLIED into giving my child immunizations after months of refusal and voiced concerns. I was threatened that no doctor in my area would see my child if I decided not immunize my child. Then as soon as my child gets his pneumonia immunization he lands in the hospital for 5 days with WHAT? Pneumonia. When he finally gets his MMR, he because severely ill with a fever of 104 for almost two weeks, and the same doctor who HOUNDED me for months, says,”I’m Sorry, theres nothing we can do, your son is having a reaction to the immunization.”

He will not get another shot, and as far as I am concerned that Pediatrician and every other BULLY out there with and MD under their belt can shove it where the sun don’t shine. No longer will I be manipulated with the fear tactice of these ROBOT, Control freaks who believe EVERYTHING that is taught to them in medical school which provides textbooks that are 98% controlled BY THE FDA. GOOD RIDDANCE!

23. by Amy Howerton M.D.

On February 16, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I agree with Alena above. I will not see patients who completely refuse vaccines because it DOES put my young and sick elderly patients at risk. For those of you who do not believe that measles is even a risk….IT’S BECAUSE WE HAVE HAD VACCINES!! As more choose NOT to vaccinate we ARE indeed seeing cases of many of the vaccine preventable illnesses. The man who made the first links between autism and vaccines and started all the hype has been completely disproved and is being charged as a criminal.

24. by Amy Howerton M.D.

On February 16, 2012 at 8:05 pm

lol-textbooks controlled by the FDA?? Uh Noooooo. You are misinformed.

25. by Robin

On February 16, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I am a non-vaxer.I made it clear to my pediatrician that she is allowed to try and convince me.
    She tries and doesn’t like my stance but it is clear to her I am well educated on the subject. The first time my eldest had a fever(2.5yo!), we saw a different doctor within the practice, she said, “you should tell us they aren’t vaccinated because it could mean something more serious is happening” So to me that just says I’m lazy and don’t even check for vaccine “preventable” illness in vaxed kids although vaccines are not 100% effective. Doctors take the hippocratic oath and I think not treating someone because they have a philosophical objection you do not agree with is in opposition to said oath.And to those afraid of their child contracting something in the waiting room, that is why there is hand sanitizer and face masks for. I’ve been thanked by the staff for attempting to use them, because most parents don’t.

26. by Pam T

On February 16, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I know someone who’s child is up to date with their vaccines and is sick almost every week my child hasn’t been vaccinated and he never gets sick.
    And how stupid is it to say that the unvaccinated children are a danger to the vaccinated children??
    And for those who don’t want to sit with sick kids find a DR who has a separate room for the sick kids, my kids DR does. And I am not informed or hysterical, I want what is best for my child and keeping him unvacciated is part of that.

27. by momy2bee

On February 16, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Oh I love this if you know that the disease where already in decline than do tell us why. Because they did start to vaccine not your typical one but they would get a person who had that disease and with a thorn from a rose hip scratch his skin up till blood was ruched and than scratch the skin ( usually in the shoulder ) of a healthy person the same way until the skin was scared and broken hence the reason a lot of old people have the scars in they shoulder. As far as some kids get sick even if they had a shot well the shot was not meant to stop the disease totally rather give you the virus of the disease so your body while fighting a tiny virus builds his immunity for than if by any chance YOU DO GET THE REAL THING YOU DO HAVE MORE CHANCES TO SURVIVE IT WITH LESS CONSEQUENCE. I was vaccinated as a child yet had a whooping cough when I was 14 it was hell but comparing to the ones that were not vaccinated I had a real easy time gee guess why because my body was already defended against it while my aunt who had the vaccine ended with miscarriage so go tell her how your child who is not vaccinated want bother any one. Come on people we have all kinds of doctors on my family starting from my father do you think he did not know what was in a vaccine and just gave it to his kids and grand kids. Mascara has mercury so do a lot of other makeup products did you stop buying them .If a doc says he will not see you that is his choice I for one am glad for my little girl dos not need to be exposed to your children. Heather they give baby’s a different dose from grown up since they know baby’s have less blood that is why if you did check they divide the vaccine in so many doses . No one is saying any thing about the children that have allergic reaction it is a fact a possibility very small compering to the number of people it helps I know what it is my baby was 2 months old when she got her shot that same night I went to ER she had an adverse reaction her doc agreed with me not to give her the next dose lets wait until she gets bigger, so please don’t include those cases with the others if you took your time and explain to the dos that you are refusing since your child got allergic he will support you ( most of the doc will ) if not than in that case you don’t need that doc. You did read one maybe two books this people have gone years to school so don’t tell me you are smarter do you know how many years it takes to become a pediatric?

28. by Julie

On February 16, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I feel like it is a doctor’s choice if they want to treat patients without vaccines or not. I know there are lot of reasons they may feel this way, some are selfish I’m sure, but I think that the bottom line is exposure. A lot of the people that are anti-vaccines don’t feel that there is a big risk of getting exposed and generally speaking, no I suppose not. However, if your child gets sick with measels or whooping cough or any other of these illnesses, where are you going to bring him? THE DOCTOR! And if I’m sitting there with my newborn that hasn’t been vaccinated yet and your child that has whooping cough is also there to be seen goes over to my baby or coughs and doesn’t cover his mouth, my baby has now caught a seriously life threatening illness and yeah, it’s your fault!

29. by Mary P

On February 16, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I would find it screamingly hilarious but some parents are so ill-informed that it’s actually scary. Half the things the non-vac parents listed are NOT in immunizations! Seriously, you are going to reference a BOOK by a guy trying to sell you to get you to buy more books?

Hey, head on over to Europe where the non-vac stuff started. They have in some parts, epidemics breaking out and children are DYING, brothers and sisters, school mates…

The risk of your child dying from a vaccine is infinitesimal compared to the risk of your child dying from the diseases they are designed to prevent. I suppose it’s the “in” thing to let your kid cough up blood until they are dead, or get so crippled they can never walk again. But you know, children have had adverse reactions to ALL medications, so why do you even need a doctor? You think they don’t know anything so the growth charts won’t matter to you, if they are sick, you won’t give them medicine because somewhere, somehow, someday some kid had an adverse reaction to penicillin or Zithromyacin.

Oh wait, you DO get them medicine when they are sick? Hypocrite.

Correlation doesn’t equal causation.

And for the lady referencing Dr. Sears, check out Dr. Offit’s interpretation and issues with him:

“”"”Dr. Sears does not come off as a hard core anti-vaccinationist. I am still trying to figure out his perspective from reading his articles. It seems as if he is trying to be popular by straddling the fence, and offering what he thinks might be a reasonable compromise. For example, he writes on his site:

The bottom line is that more and more parents want options. If we don’t provide them with options they are comfortable with, more parents will opt out of vaccines altogether. We will then see more and more disease fatalities and complications.

Unfortunately, this is like trying to compromise between mutually exclusive positions, like young-earth creationism and evolution. It doesn’t work. Dr. Sears is left giving his readers, who will likely be comprised of many parents trying to decide whether or not to vaccinate their children, with partial information or misinformation. Offit and Moser do a great job of exposing this deception through misinformation.

What Dr. Sears accomplishes ultimately is to fuel the fire of that fear by spreading misinformation, or withholding from his readers the scientific information that has lead the scientific and medical communities to the recommendations they currently make. He also sets himself up as a guru – first by facilitating the spread of fear about vaccines, then offering himself as a solution – you don’t trust the Centers for Disease Control, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the American Academy of Family Physicians (who all endorse the current vaccine schedule)? Don’t worry, good ‘ol Dr. Bob has the answer.”"”

And the most damning:

“”"Sears’ main argument for spacing out vaccines is to avoid giving infants too much aluminum at one time, writing, “When a baby gets the first big round of shots at two months, the total dose of aluminum can vary from 295 micrograms . . . to a whopping 1,225 micrograms if the highest aluminum brands are used and a hep B vaccine is also given. . . . These doses are repeated at four and six months.” Extrapolating studies of patients undergoing hemodialysis and severely premature infants to healthy newborns, Sears claims that these quantities might be unsafe. However, Sears fails to put aluminum exposure in context. By 6 months of age, infants typically ingest 6,700 micrograms of aluminum in breast milk, 37,800 micrograms in infant formula, or 116,600 micrograms in soy-based formula.”"”"

The crap people get up in arms about in vaccines – they have no problems in getting things like “soy formula” cause it’s “best” or doing new age crap that has even higher exposure every single day than things found in vaccines aside from the disease inhibitor themselves.

Or they refuse to see that some chemical names are interchangable and harmless. People freak out over say an ingredient in anti-freeze being in their soap. The problem is, it’s a derivative that is NOT the main ingredient in anti-freeze but because it’s an “ingredient” everything with it must be bad!! Guess what? Anti-freeze ALSO contains WATER. Oh no!! EVERYONE – STOP DRINKING WATER.

Don’t want to vaccinate your kids – fine. Keep them to other kids who aren’t vaccinated. Your refusal to understand and to latch onto some ill-conceived notions and wrong information puts MY newborns (and others who might be preemies) at risk. Then, when your playgroup breaks out with polio and half of them die from getting secondary infections, you know where you point your fingers.

By the way, some countries won’t even let you IN without vaccinations because they had to work so hard to eradicate illnesses that were taking children, adults and elderly by the tens of thousands. Don’t vaccinate your kids, take them on a safari through tribes in Africa! Would you do it? I bet you wouldn’t dare travel to a place you KNOW has those diseases. So why in the heck would you risk whether my kid has been to Mexico to villages (he has, at 7 years old) and come in contact with YOUR kid?

30. by Terri

On February 16, 2012 at 8:35 pm

If vaccines work SO well …. then why are parents and doctors so worried about the non-vaxed kids spreading disease??????

I am a non vaxer by choice and through education. In the 1980′s there were 10 recommended vaccines for children … today, there are 38-40!!! That is just insane!! My little one has received no shots at all … and he is super healthy. We go places and interact with people (in fact my hubby and 2 step kids are all sick right now, and vaccinated) … and neither me nor my 2yr old have gotten it.

Vaccination is a personal decision for every parent, but every parent SHOULD do their research on vaccines also! Don’t just assume doctors are advocating for you when it comes to vaccines … doctors get kick backs from vax manufacturers. They won’t admit it, but if you do enough research, you will uncover it.

31. by Terri

On February 16, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Also … non-vaxers are typically highly educated on the subject. Someone above had said that they wouldn’t want to be in the doctors office with their newborn and have someone bring in a non-vaxed kid with measels or reubella.

As a non-vax parent, I am educated and smart enough to k.ow not to just bring my child into the doctors office if he had measels or chicken pox or mumps or whatever.
    DON’T assume that because some parents choose not to vax that we are uneducated …. that is NOT the case in the vast majority of non-vaxers.

I had chicken pox when I was young, my mom had measels, mumps and chicken pox. These are not deadly diseases for the majority. Yes, there are exceptions, but those exceptions are a far cry from pumping my child full of vaxs loaded with aluminum, formaldehyde, mercury, Bovine fetal cells, egg proteins, etc.

32. by Martha

On February 16, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I agree completely with Alena post.
    On February 16, 2012 at 1:54 pm

33. by Autti

On February 16, 2012 at 9:34 pm

People that are complaining about your children getting exposed to these diseases are utterly ridiculous. If your so worried then you should be just as worried about every other child brought into the doctors office with a common cold that “you are risking my child’s health” Since the common cold can lead to bronchitis which could lead to pneumonia which could lead to hospitalization and possibly even death. It can also cause ear infections, sinusitis, and numerous other secondary infections that could be just as hazardous to your child’s health, but I don’t see any of you complaining about that. Since I am one of the many parents who refuse to vaccinate and my child has not even had so much as the sniffles since he was born I think I might just start complaining to my pediatrician about the other patients that he happens to be seeing on the same day I’m there that have the common cold,just because they are a risk to my child’s health and we’ll see how ridiculous he thinks I sound. Because in all honesty that’s how ridiculous most of you people sound that are so worried about your children being sat next to another child that hasn’t been vaccinated. The latest studies show that these vaccines are only 79% effective. So to me giving your children a vaccine that only might work is like poking a hole in a condom, using it then hopping its effective.

34. by Brooke W.

On February 16, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Amen Mary P!

I have vaccinated my now 6 mo daughter with no regrets and plan to continue to do so. I have such trust in our medical system and in her pediatrician, and I have also done the research on the potential side effects of the vaccines. I have seen people who have become I’ll with diseases that were virtually eradicated because they were not vaccinated, and the hardship it has caused on themselves and the grief and despair in their parents. After all, their child became sick because of a decision they made for them, and they will forever have to live with this guilt on their shoulders. I have family members who work for the CDC and have had to have an insane number of vaccinations. He has still come home I’ll from overseas, though never with one of the more dangerous and life threatening diseases he has encountered because he had been vaccinated against them

As for the strength of the vaccine, I wouldn’t give my daughter an adult dose if Tylenol, and her doctor wouldn’t recommend it, so why would they do that with a vaccine?

And the fact that you didn’t get that many vaccines in the 80′s is simple; most of the diseases that are vaccinated against now didn’t have a vaccine then. Otherwise, you probably would have been given one. I was fully vaccinated and have suffered from no major illnesses. I have only had 2 ear infections, have had the flu three times in 30 years, and that was before I was ever vaccinated against it. I do not have asthma nor do I have any kind of spectrum disorder, and I can only say that my parents dedication to my health played a significant part in that.

35. by Jessica

On February 16, 2012 at 9:57 pm

The reason so many of us “vaxers,” as we’re called are “so worried about our kids if vaccinations work so well” is because there are still cases of these diseases. With more and more parents choosing not to vaccinate, more hosts are available to te causative agents of such diseases. These things are caused by viruses and bacteria which replicate on the order of hours. Do you know how likely genetic mutations are in these organisms with such rapid rates of replication? Mutations are CERTAIN. Once the organisms has mutated, the vaccine may no longer be effective. And with antibiotic resistance on the rise, (largely because patients don’t follow dr instructions when administering–as well as some overprescribing on the dr’s part), we may very well be on our way to losing the battle against bacterial infections. As an aspiring family doc, (and a parent, thank you very much), I have already decided that I will not treat patients who refuse vaccines. Doctors pay astronomical amounts for malpractice insurance, and they should have the right to turn down anyone who may pose a risk to their practice.

36. by Julie

On February 16, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Parents should have the right to choose their child’s medical care, even if it is unconventional –
    And physicians should have the right to choose who they accept as patients in their private practice, for any reason they choose.

Can’t have it both ways.

37. by Mike

On February 17, 2012 at 7:53 am

I’m sorry, but parents who refuse to vaccinate their children are nothing more than ill-informed reactionaries with a superiority complex. The odds of having an averse reaction to a vaccine are INFINITESIMAL compared to the destruction and damage caused by unleashing your “special” unvaccinated child into the community. Children now are dying from diseases THEY SHOULD NOT BE DYING FROM like pertussis. So, in effect, a PARENTS choice to gamble with their child’s health to prove a point is killing other children. Apparently they 25+% chance your unvaccinated child sickens or kills a newborn is better than facing the .00000958575775% chance the vaccine prompts an allergic reaction in your toddler. And of course the now debunked “vaccines cause autism” article is still fresh in the minds of parents who refuse to study the actual data.

Does anyone remember what these diseases do to children? Of course not. It’s also laughable that close to 100% of the posters on this article no doubt avoided getting POLIO because of a vaccine. Anyone remember Polio? Of course not, because a vaccine wiped it out.

Anyone remember the Japanese whooping cough epidemic in the 1970s? The Japanese thought they had eradicated Whooping cough, so they stopped vaccinating for it. It came back with a vengeance and killed many children before vaccinations restarted and the disease was brought under control.

And what about tetanus? There are no natural antibodies to tetanus. So, unvac parents, are you just going to let your children get tetanus? And let’s throw out the horse and rusty nail arguments…tetanus spores lie in the soil, and represent the best way to get the disease, not a rusty nail. Should I have to pay for an unvacc’d child to be treated in the ER and the subsequent treatment when they contract tetanus?

With the TONS of evidence pointing to the importance of vaccinating your children, there’s no other conclusion to come to, really, than ill-informed parents’ using their children as a political statement. Any rational person that can comprehend statistical data will have their children vaccinated. It really is that simple.

38. by mike

On February 17, 2012 at 8:02 am

Almost forgot….let’s say your Ashley, Madison or Bella grows up, finds a great man and gets married…she becomes pregnant, and while shopping for window treatments for baby, comes into contact with a child or transmission agent containing measles. So now, your pregnant daughter gets measles…not only is her life in jeopardy because she’s contracted this EASILY AVOIDABLE child’s disease, now her unborn fetus’ life is threatened and more than likely now going to develop birth defects from the virus. I guess that’s not as important though, as being able to tell another parent at a playdate that “I don’t want MY kids injected with that poison.”

39. by Jennifer Samaniego

On February 17, 2012 at 11:11 am

I think doctors should have the right to refuse services because if these kids do get a serious disease that could have been prevented by a vaccine they can get sued or the parents can;t afford the treatments and insurances wont pay for it because they should have been vaccinated. Some parents are really crazy for not getting the vaccines for the kids. Vaccines are the reason the United States has got rid of a lot of diseases. We all got vaccines and we are fine.

40. by Jennifer Samaniego

On February 17, 2012 at 11:19 am

Also, you cannot enroll your children in school if they don’t have an up to date shot record. and if they ever have an opportunity to go to a foreign country, How are they gonna fight off the diseases that country didn’t fight off? And on top of that, Thay have to get vaccinated before leaving legally to another country. You cannot get a visa without vaccines. So on that note, you are taking away from your child if they ever want to travel and can’t because a mom wanted to make a statement about vaccines.

41. by Tracy McComb, MD

On February 17, 2012 at 4:26 pm

As a pediatrician, I get asked the “vaccine question” every day. As it happens, I do believe in vaccinating children. I’ve seen most of the diseases that should be vaccine-preventable, and I never want to see another child with them. I’ve also had pertussis myself, and it was terrible, but not as terrible as it was for the 1-month-old baby I treated for it recently. And no, I don’t get kickbacks. In fact, vaccines are expensive (with borderline reimbursement) and quite a headache to maintain.
    I don’t fire patients whose parents refuse to vaccinate. It IS a medicolegal risk to me and, even more importantly, a public health issue (I don’t want any sick child in my waiting room giving that disease, even in less aggressive form, to any of my other patients). However, I live in a very rural area without many other doctors, and someone needs to take care of these children, too. But I do believe we doctors have the right to choose whom we see. Many doctors won’t see patients who don’t follow other recommendations, such as losing weight or quitting smoking, because we put ourselves at higher risk of being sued for bad outcomes in these patients. (I’ve been there more than once. Thankfully, I documented the patient’s refusal to do as I recommended, so the courts knew I wasn’t negligent. But just getting named in a suit was miserable). In this climate, we doctors have a right to choose our patients and our style of practice.
    That said, I will continue to see vaccinated and nonvaccinated kids alike. But I’ll still talk vaccines with them. Maybe I won’t ever see measles, mumps, rubella, mumps meningitis, pertussis, tetanus, epiglottitis, meningococcal meningitis, or hepatitis A and B again. But I’ve already seen all of these at least once (and chickenpox, Rotavirus, and Pneumococcus more times than I can count). I also lost my husband as one of the 30000 Americans who die of influenza a year. If I can spare one child (or adult) the agony of these diseases, I’ll do it.

42. by Tess

On February 17, 2012 at 8:18 pm

In response to Jennifer Samaniego’s comment “And on top of that, Thay have to get vaccinated before leaving legally to another country. You cannot get a visa without vaccines” there has been the suggestion that once a person has grown up past the age of a newborn or school ager, their immune system would be able to handle the immunizations required to leave the country.

43. by Terri

On February 17, 2012 at 10:07 pm

In response to Jennifer’s comment “Also, you cannot enroll your children in school if they don’t have an up to date shot record.” … You CAN enroll your children in school. Most states have exemption waivers. My state has religious, philosophical & medical waiver. Schools will tell you that you HAVE to have them, but you don’t!

Everyone is worried about the kids that aren’t vaxed … what about the adults you come in contact w/ every day? I’m almost 40 … I have had NO shots since I was about 6 or 7. Whatever antibodies were in my system, probably won’t protect me against today’s strains anyway. How many other adults out there don’t have up to date vaccinations???? My un-vax’d child can make up his own mind to get vax’d or not when he is older. And I plan on homeschooling anyway … so my Un-Vax’d kid WON’T be around your vax’d kids … just like WE like it!

44. by Ktistal

On February 18, 2012 at 2:51 am

It is terribly sad how ignorant most of you are. I feel worry for your children that you are so uninformed of the crap you are forcing into their delicate little bodies. As parents it is truly your responsibility to be aware. The poison they put in most of these vaccines cause autism, death, brainchilds damage, skin disorders, asthma…the llist goes on. The theory of vaccines is a great one, the delivery of the product. Deadly. Let me just ask you this, if your vaccines are so amazing then why be afraid to sit in a room with someone who isn’t vaccinated (fyi you do this every day and just don’t realize it!) Shouldn’t your child’s vaccine filled body be immune to disease? Seriously you people need yo tear a book, do some research. Go talk to the families who have lost their chilren, who are now dealing with autistic or town syndrome childrrn

45. by kristal

On February 18, 2012 at 2:58 am

*accidentaly hit submit* cont from above…
    Down syndrome children only after being exposed to these harmful and toxic substances. Just because the government says you should do it foes not mean that its safe in any way. The parents that choose not too vaccinate have clearly done their homework instead of just following the heard. Instead of fighting the ones that don’t vaccinate, try fighting the government to make our vaccines safer? Then we could all live with a little peace of mind!!

46. by Mike

On February 18, 2012 at 6:17 am

Ktistal:

So you’re saying that the consensus of pediatricians, statistical data and the CDC, not to mention the proven efficacy of vaccines are false and that these medical professionals are “terribly ignorant?”

But we’re supposed to believe your comments? Comments that show you’re borderline literate and have no actual grasp of the issue at hand? You do realize that the autism link was debunked and proven a lie? Do you know what ‘debunked’ means? I’m hoping you’re speaking in the abstract and that you don’t actually HAVE children. wow

The risk of a child having an averse reaction to a vaccine is INFINITESIMAL (that means very small)compared to the risk of exposing your un-vaccinated child to a newborn or infant or adult that has not been properly protected.

Please talk to your doctor so they can repeat this information to you in a slow, measured voice.

47. by kristal

On February 18, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Hello Mike,
    You see how you named me “ktistal” instead of “kristal”it was a typing error or your phone or tablet auto corrected it. After reading my post again I saw the errors, which were exactly that errors from typing to fast on my kindle fire.
    And yes I have 4 children. 2 immunized they are the older 2 and two non immunized the youngest. My 10 year old was born prematurely at 3/4 of a pound she spent several months in the NICU. Due to her little immune system being so fragile we did not immunize her right away. She finally grew to her five pounds and met all requirements to go home she was doing very well over the next 2 years. She was walking, she said a few words, she climbed all over everything. She was developmentally right on track, defeating the one year lag the doctors said she would have.
    from being premature. So at 2 we went ahead and started giving her the vaccines. This is when it all went down hill, after the first round she seamed to be regressing in her development. She started grunting instead of speaking, she started getting very anxious (she had never been this way before) she seamed off. Not realizing it was the vaccines I got her 2nd round of shots. This time she fell very ill, she had a fever that spiked to 105° she was very ill for about 2 weeks. The Dr said sometimes kids have a reaction to the shots there is nothing we can do but treat the symptoms. To make a very long and very sad story short, of a little girl being so vibrant and full of life to now being a girl who
    grunts to communicate, at 10 years old she does not have the motor skills to even feed herself. She is agitated all the time. My sweet little girl will never live a normal life she will be in her wheel chair for the rest of her life, she will never play sports or dance or run on a play ground. My little girl will have to be fated for around the clock

48. by kristal

On February 18, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Ugh…this stupid kindle……I pressed the space button and it submitted….so cont from above…again…..
    My little girl will have to be “cared” for, for the rest of her life around the clock. So, to answer your question Do I ask you to trust my borderline Literacy to grasp the issue at hand? All I ask is that parents be educated. My daughter along with thousands of others are living proof (along with the others that lost thrir lives) that the ingredients in these vacccines are dangerous. I believe the concept is a great one I believe that if the vaccines were made differently that it could possibly minimize these terrible life altering side effects. Yes millions of children are vaccinated and suffer no such outcome as my daughter has, but it happens. And my question is, is it worth it to gamble with your child’s life. When my son was born he got the pertussis shot before leaving the hospital at 11/2 he got whooping cough. He spent 2 days in the hospital. My mother in law gets her flu shot every year, every year she gets the flu at least 3 times. She is in bed sick more than anyone I know. My brothers daughter after getting her 3rd round of shots was diagnosed with exema, now they have humidifiers all over their house and are constantly dealing with a very uncomfortable baby. EDUCATE YOURSELF is all I ask. Read the pros and the cons. And look deep to find REAL ANSWERS. I know this I will not
    be taking my children to any third world countries, not until. they are older and one their immune systems can handle it and 2 until they are old enough to enjoy it. If my child is sick when we visit the Dr I go to the “sick child” side of the office as there are 2 waiting rooms. And for those of you that think that just because some of us “hippi” parents don’t vaccinate our kids that our children are not “allowed” in public school..you are ill informed. All we do is sign the waiver.
    and 2

49. by lovemy2kids

On February 18, 2012 at 6:53 pm

It’s ridiculous to me for a doctor, that your children have grown up with and are comfortable with, to deny them services. My children are the healthiest kids I know…and I no longer vaccinate. There are way too many unresolved and inaccurate findings, as well as, dangerous side affects to continue. My kids basically go.to the Dr. Once a yr for their check ups, and occasional seasonal allergies. I truly believe in building their immune systems at an early age, with multi vitamins, minerals, probiotics, and the least amount of gluten, sugar free diets. They love what they eat, love their vitamins, are very healthy and active in sports. It’s our responsibility as parents to take care of our children’s health, and not put unnecessary foreign junk, into their bodies. I LOVE my pediatrician, and feel they would continue to see my kids…but if the occasion arose, and I had to leave, I would leave knowing my children are the healthiest they have ever been.

50. by Aly

On February 18, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Pam, before you call others stupid you may want to a) think about what you’re saying, and b) make sure you comprehend what the person you are criticizing said.

As for your friend’s kid, unless they are sick with the measles, the mumps, rubella, whooping cough, hep a, etc. every other week, that point is invalid. I’m guessing they just have a lot of colds, and there’s no vaccine for that. Not that an individual anecdote mean much in the grand scheme anyway. There’s any number of factors that lead to illness.

My mom tried to tell me that one of my kids getting the occasional ear or upper respiratory infection proved that breast feeding wasn’t any better than formula. I of course pointed out that he’d probably just get sick that much more if I hadn’t breastfed. Never mind the fact that he was a mildly premature twin with a blood disorder that makes him more at risk for infections to begin with.

By the way, despite the fact that he and his fraternal twin brother have the same diet and the same vaccinations and the same, pretty much everything except some differences in genetic makeup, they don’t always get the same illnesses.

Why is that? Oh yeah, everyone is different and there’s many different factors that determine what illnesses people get and how often. (Like the blood disorder he was born with nd his brother doesn’t despite developing in the same womb at the same time.)

Also, the concern isn’t about non-vaccinated kids infecting vaccinated kids, it’s about them infecting kids that have not yet been vaccinated.

Incidentally, diseases like measles are still prevalent in parts of the world without access to vaccines. Outbreaks even occur here from time to time, usually thanks to non-vaccinated people traveling abroad. Diseases don’t just go away on their own.

In any case, if you aren’t on the same page as your ped, wouldn’t you want to change doctors anyway? Otherwise, it’s inevitably going to be a toxic relationship, and they don’t want to deal with getting blamed when someone’s fad remedies fail.

Kristal, I’m sorry for your circumstances but you lost credibility when you tried to blame Downs syndrome on vaccines. Down syndrome is a genetic condition in which a person has 47 chromosomes instead of the usual 46. Vaccines do not change the number of chromosomes someone has. That decision is made by a genetic roll of the dice before they are born.

51. by Gayle

On February 19, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I realize the debate on whether or not to get your child vaccianted is a big one. I have two boys, 11 and 14, both vaccinated (all on time). Sometimes they get flu shots, sometimes not. (Oh…and just because they get the flu, even after they have had the flu shot for the season, doesn’t mean it’s the same strand of flu that they were vaccinated against…different bugs cause different viruses. Flu shots won’t keep you healthy all season long.) Anyways…I personally believe all children should be vaccinated. I realize the non-vaccinated ones can’t infect a vaccinated one, but what about non-vaccinated ones infecting non-vaccinated ones. Why, as a parent, would you even take that chance? I know, I know…all kinds of “disgusting” things in the vaccines. Let me ask you this…do you ever let them eat cookies, chips, candy, etc.? What about processed foods or McDonalds? Do you eat it yourself? Yeah, I thought so. That stuff is just as disgusting. (Oh, I eat it too as well as my kids, so I’m not getting all up on my high horse here…I’m just saying.) WHY TAKE THE CHANCE??? Oh…and getting back to what the article was REALLY about…”do doctors have the right to refuse service to patients that aren’t vaccinated?” Yes, they do. Just as I have the right to choose another doctor for any reason.

52. by Gabriella

On February 19, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I have just one question…if everyone is only worried about one Child getting a waiting room sick,wouldnt the kids who are “immunized” be protected against that ??? Hm….

53. by b

On February 19, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I vaccinated all of my kids. Until I did some research. Not CDC or FDA or AMA. I looked at double-blind research done on causal factors of babies and children after being vaccinated. Then I looked at the ingredients, like I do with everything I buy. then I looked at the double-blind test studies done on the vaccinations before they were sold and given to our children, intravenously injected into their tiny, fragile bodies. Okay I did not do that. Why? THERE ARE NONE. No studies done, no clinical trials, no research on long term effects. Causal effect is good enough to convict a person of a crime but apparently not for the health and wellness and LIFE of our children. Ask your doctor. Ask them to see the clinical trials. It is their job to be aware of the ‘side effects’ and the research done on the ingredients in INJECTED foreign bodies into the bloodstream. Ask them to sign a contract that if there are negative reactions in your child they will have a remedy. An antidote for encephalopathy. Which is a KNOWN reaction to the pertussis vaccine. Here’s a link to an interesting article:

As far as low vaccination compliance in the seventies and the incidence of whooping cough is concerned. Noble et al. (1987) published a very interesting graph on their Figure 21 (page 1352) which is showing that whilst the vaccination compliance started climbing up after 1976, so did the incidence of whooping cough. Far from showing the effectiveness of vaccination, this figure 2 shows that vaccination was at best irrelevant to the issue of the incidence of whooping cough. Inappropriate correlations abound in this article, like for example comparing the incidence of whooping cough in 1884 (the epidemic year) with the incidence in 1970 (a non-epidemic year).

54. by Phil (Dad of 3)

On February 19, 2012 at 4:05 pm

We are so fortunate to live in an era when we can give our children a round of childhood immunizations that are so highly effective and safe that they are considered routine. Childhood vaccines are the single greatest medical advance in human history, responsible for saving more lives than anything short of clean water and sanitation. I shake my head in wonder at the foolhardiness or arrogance of parents who may or, like me, may not have done so well in high school biology deciding that they just don’t feel right about letting their children benefit from the end product of generations of medical research designed to prevent them from becoming one of the countless millions of parents who have had to grieve over dead or crippled children. (For the record, I’m a real estate lawyer, not a vaccine maker.)

Kudos to the pediatricians who say no to this craziness. Medicine is a mix of science and art, but this part is science. The earth is neither flat nor orbited by the sun, smoking is not good for your lungs, heart, or breath, and vaccines are safe and effective. Sure, my grandfather smoked unfiltered Camels for 60 years and didn’t die of lung cancer and Jim Fixx dropped dead of a heart attack despite being in terrific physical health and eating a great diet. Neither exception means I should forego a morning run to sit on the couch and eat donuts and smoke cigarettes.

The effectiveness of vaccines in a society depends on herd immunity, meaning if you vaccinate 90-ish percent of a herd or community, the resulting immunity will generally protect everyone, including those who cannot be vaccinated because of allergies or medical problems, those too young to be vaccinated, and those who do not gain immunity from a vaccine – everyone is different and no vaccine is 100% effective in producing immunity. So, what the no vaccine parents are doing is saying they are willing to take a chance with their children’s lives and health and put them in the small minority that will probably get by without vaccinations. Why will they take this chance? Because vaccines are so effective for everyone else that it really is unlikely that their children will catch measles or pertussis or polio or whatever. Though misguided, they do care for their children and if this were 1950 and polio was still common, they would line up wherever they could if someone came along with a vaccine to keep their children from getting it. It is strange indeed that we have come so far with vaccines that people doubt whether they are even necessary. Given the choice between medical advice from our highly trained pediatrician and medical advice from a combination of the internet, a health food store clerk and my neighbor’s cousin whose kid “caught” asthma from his DPT shot, I’ll go with the physician.

Sure, one or two out of every million children will die or suffer a freak complication from a vaccination. More than that will be killed in car accidents or be dropped on their heads or whatever. Other babies who are vaccinated will get sick or suffer from a disease or condition that has nothing to do with the vaccinations. Are any of those things reasons to skip them?

Here’s some things we know for sure. Measles is a deadly disease. Sure, less than 5% of children who get it will die and most deaths occur among malnourished populations, so in 2008, only 164,000 people died from measles worldwide – most were children under five. Before widespread global vaccination programs began around 1980, the number was more like 2.6 million. In a world where anyone can be in New York less than 24 hours after being in a sub-Saharan refugee camp, is it really worth the gamble? Oh, and thousands of kids who didn’t die from measles only went blind.

Please, for the sake of your kids, my kids, and the newborn baby in the pediatrician’s waiting room, stop the craziness and do what is really best for your kids and make sure they are vaccinated.

55. by Phil (Dad of 3)

On February 19, 2012 at 4:32 pm

P.S.

1. Kudos to Gayle and Alena above.

2. Gabriella, the concern is not the safely vaccinated kids and adults in the waiting room, but the babies under 6 months, kids with allergies, and children of other parents who have not yet decided to take their doctor’s advice and get vaccinated who are at risk.

3. The other thing no vaccine parents are implicitly counting on in gambling with their children’s lives is that if they are wring, the the doctors and medicines and equipment in our advanced medical system will save them. The same system that is apparently trying to poison their
    children now. That’s like sending your kid skiing without a helmet because we’ve come a long way in treating head injuries.

4. For b above me, I’m no scientist (this is the internet, so that is hardly a disqualification to offer opinions on scientific subjects), but perhaps the reason there are no double blind studies for the safety of vaccines given to children (if that is true), would be the same reason there are very few studies done on pregnant women to determine the effect of various medicines or foods: It would be just as unethical to have a study where half the pregnant women are asked to eat tainted lunch meat to see what happens as it would be to give half the children placebo vaccines. You have to do the research with the data you can safely obtain.

And regarding whopping cough, here is a blurb from the secret cabal at the CDC trying to poison all our kids (entire article here: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/6mishome.htm:

“Finally, we can look at the experiences of several developed countries after they let their immunization levels drop. Three countries – Great Britain, Sweden, and Japan – cut back the use of pertussis vaccine because of fear about the vaccine. The effect was dramatic and immediate. In Great Britain, a drop in pertussis vaccination in 1974 was followed by an epidemic of more than 100,000 cases of pertussis and 36 deaths by 1978. In Japan, around the same time, a drop in vaccination rates from 70% to 20%-40% led to a jump in pertussis from 393 cases and no deaths in 1974 to 13,000 cases and 41 deaths in 1979. In Sweden, the annual incidence rate of pertussis per 100,000 children 0-6 years of age increased from 700 cases in 1981 to 3,200 in 1985. It seems clear from these experiences that not only would diseases not be disappearing without vaccines, but if we were to stop vaccinating, they would come back.”

56. by Haeley

On February 19, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I think its stupid, if my parents didnt vaccinate me I would think they must not have really cared. And if you think its so uncommon why dont you ask the people who’s kids have dies from whooping cough how they feel about your kid not being vaccinated? People care about this so much because herd immunity is needed for the kids who CANNOT get vaccinated due to allergies, immune deficeiency from chemo, radiation, HIV or organ transplants etc. I do not want the life of my child or the child of another person on my head. I think we have gotten too far removed from the reality of these diseases to see what a miracle vaccines are historically. But if you want to roll the dice on your kids life fine, hope you dont regret it. And FYI the only kid I know that isnt vaccinated has autism so thats not the cause.

57. by Mei

On February 19, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Mary P is so right! I agree completely! It’s very scary how ignorant people have become. I think the vaccines have worked too well for the last 50 years. People have forgotten how horrible childhood diseases are. My grandmother was a doctor in China, and she said there were many families that refused to vaccinate their children back in the 40′s because the vaccines would make the children sick, and you know what happened? These kids died from diseases. that was a long time ago, I guess the hippy freaks of today just don’t know enough science and history to learn anything.

58. by dulyon

On February 20, 2012 at 9:56 am

It’s better to find a new doctor then work with a doctor who are not on the same page with the parents. I would want a doctor who would tell me how it is and if he disagree with my choices, I assume that he would harp (my personality choice would do that) on it. It will not be a happy partnership..

59. by Carissa

On March 3, 2012 at 12:15 am

I think that this is greatest news I have ever read. I have a 6 month old and have to sit in a waiting room with other children I would feel safer sitting in a sick waiting room knowing that the other children have been vaccinated from possible life threatening illnesses that I’m not prepared to deal with on my first child or second whatever, I live in 21st Century I dont need to deal with these illnesses anymore. Parents that dont get vaccines, that’s their choice and all but you honestly have NO BUSINESS at a Dr’s office… don’t come in with your un-vaccinated kids wonder why the f* your kids is sick… crawl back to your cave and stay there.

60. by Doing the Best We Can Muster

On March 29, 2012 at 12:46 am

Dr. Tracy McComb – Thank you for sharing your experiences. Continuing to treat non-vaxing patients, especially when they may not have elsewhere to go, is the right thing to do. I read that as also respecting families’ responsibility to make this decision themselves. And I so much appreciate the reasoned, non-adamant tone of your writing.

61. by Ed

On April 13, 2012 at 5:17 am

A medical practice does not need the legal liability of dealing with mentally ill or politically correct lunatic parents. If they are this crazy in one area then they’re going to be crazy in other areas. Who needs this kind of grief?

Another factor that is not mentioned is that the pediatric practices are punished by the insurance companies for not having adequate immunization rates. In this day and age the practice is not going to take a fee cut because of these idiots.

62. by FLcanuck

On April 13, 2012 at 5:27 am

I refuse to operate electively on unimmunized children for two reasons. First, the child is placed at substantial risk especially for Diphtheria, Pertussis and Tetanus which are ubiquitous. The child is placed at substantial risk from the surgery and anesthesia which give a temporary immunoparalysis.
    Secondly, parents that pick and choose the child’s care against well proven advise from their pediatrician are unlikely to follow even the simplest post-operative instructions if it doesn’t suit their fancy. I am not running a parental smorgasbord and you know any adverse outcome will have these folks first in line at their trial attorney, even when it is their fault. Sorry, you can travel elsewhere.

63. by Ashley

On May 2, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Hey FLcanuck,
    My son is completely un vaccinated and has had over 8 surgeries (kidney problems) as a matter of fact not only do I have and use the philosophical exemption but we also have a medical exemption and these things you speak of are non-issues. ANY child has a risk of death when being put under anesthesia. And guess what…the lovely FDA protects drs from being sued for vaccine injury not from surgery mess ups BY THE DR like over use of certain anesthesia drugs in a particular elixer (oh and btw the things you mentioned have a smaller risk even less of a risk than a vaccine related injury) I feel sorry for any child you “operate” on, if any as you were unclear what your medical stature was.

64. by Ansis Vallens

On June 12, 2012 at 10:28 am

Right or wrong doesn’t matter. It’s dollars and cents. Insurance companies will start charging more for malpractice coverage for doctors who carry families that do not vaccinate.

65. by Vincent

On August 28, 2012 at 3:24 am

Wow you are all so smart. They cant even get imitation sugar or Vicoden safe.Doctors prescibe drugs that a recalled everyday. What makes you think that something so complex as a vaccine is safe?

66. by Refuse to Immunize

On October 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I am so shocked by the judgement on this page. For those who think that my child who is not immunized is going to get your child sick is crazy! Your child has been vaccinated, and therefore is now a carrier of all the diseases they were vaccinated for. So actually it is your child who is endangering my child, since my child is being exposed by your child. Further more, vaccines are not a one size fits all solution. It is just like a mattress some need firm, some need soft, some need somewhere in between. How dare you judge me for not immunizing my child. I was that parent who went along with what the DR said and was immunizing on schedule. Then my baby had a horrible reaction. If I hadn’t persisted as much as I had it could have been devastating for her. However, thanks to years of therapies and a lot of hard work and dedication the effects of the vaccinations (which were medically proven to be the cause) have been countered a great deal. We don’t know what the lasting effects will be, but we are at least thankful that what progress has been made is positive. So rather than judge, keep the perspective that you NEVER know the others person whole story and what has brought them to the choice they have made with great consideration for their child. I would never intentionally harm my child and for those who think that by not immunizing I am doing that, then consider the harm I put her in by first choosing to immunize! Parenting is not an easy road to navigate, judge not lest ye be judged!

67. by Stephan

On February 24, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I think the reactions on this page are interesting. It reminds me of when I was in the military and they herded us through a line of men and women with needles as we received vaccine after vaccine. It made me feel like a piece of cattle and was dehumanizing. Being that it was the military, one of the most dehumanizing institutions there is, I could understand this. But for parents to talk of other parents children like they were lepers to be avoided, simply because those parents made an educated decision for themselves and their children, having studied the nature of vaccinations and (in many cases) their detrimental effects (as most parents that I have met do) …why, you should be ashamed of yourselves. It seems that, quite to the contrary, you have become the paranoid ones.

68. by onthewayin16

On April 22, 2013 at 11:33 pm

An accredited university since they would NEVER agree with a fruitarian diet,