Online Push for Bald Barbie Gains Momentum

A Barbie doll with no hair–bald because she had undergone cancer treatment–is in demand by a growing group of women who have battled the disease or are going through it with their children.  The Associated Press reports:

A Facebook page titled “Beautiful and Bald Barbie! Let’s see if we can get it made” was started a few days before Christmas. By Wednesday afternoon, the page had more than 16,000 fans. The goal is to get toy maker Mattel Inc. to create a bald Barbie in support of children with cancer.

Friends Rebecca Sypin and Jane Bingham, who live on opposite coasts but have both been affected by the disease, hatched the idea to use Barbie for the movement because she’s such a popular children’s toy.

Bingham has lost her hair due to chemotherapy treatments to treat lymphoma. Sypin’s 12-year-old daughter, Kin Inich, also lost her hair this year in her own battle with leukemia.

Mattel didn’t return calls on Wednesday seeking comment, but the women said they have contacted the company through some general form letters. In return, they said, they’ve received form letters that say Mattel doesn’t accept ideas from outside sources.

The women say a bald Barbie would provide a huge platform to raise awareness for children with cancer.

Barbie, all 11.5 inches of her, is one of the best-known toys of all time. She can sell for $10 at Wal-Mart or $7,000 on eBay.

As of this morning, the Facebook page had more than 36,500 fans.

(Image via: http://www.facebook.com)

Tags: | Categories: The Lighter Side

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by Jenn

On January 12, 2012 at 11:03 am

Of course they don’t accept ideas from outside sources…then they would have to PAY someone for their idea.

2. by Marlene Roman

On January 12, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I donated my hair for all those little girls that feel that being bald doesnt make them beautiful, I just wish they could see that they’re beautiful with or with out hair…. The heart determines a persons beauty….

3. by Marlene Roman

On January 12, 2012 at 1:11 pm

If Mattel doesn’t want to “pay” anyone for the idea they can just donate the earnings from the Barbie to research… I’m sure the ladies that started the page were not the only two people that thought It would be a great idea, and I’m also sure they wouldnt mind not recieving a dime as long as they see little girls’ faces light up when they see that being bald does NOT make anyone ugly….

4. by Chrissy

On January 12, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I’ve visited the site on FB and in the info they state
    “We would like to see a Beautiful and Bald Barbie made to help young girls who suffer from hair loss due to cancer treatments, Alopecia or Trichotillomania . Also, for young girls who are having trouble coping with their mother’s hair loss from chemo. Many children have some difficulty accepting their mother, sister, aunt, grandparent or friend going from a long haired to a bald.

Accessories such as scarves and hats could be included. This would be a great coping mechanism for young girls dealing with hair loss themselves or a loved one. We would love to see a portion of proceeds go to childhood cancer research and treatment. Let’s get Mattell’s attention!”.

I don’t believe the women who started this want the proceeds for themselves but to just get a doll out there to help kids who are going threw this or have someone in the family or has a friend who is going through this. Many of the members themselves are either going through it, have kids who are going through it, or a loved one and as a mother of a son who had to watch his Grandpa go through cancer treatments and then loose him I also support the idea of a bald G.I. Joe as my son would hold his own G.I. Joe and talk about when his Grandpa and G-Grandpa were enlisted and how brave they were. Both of these men died due to cancer and I’ve seen how it’s effected not only the adults in my family but the children as well. Cancer runs in my family and I’m in full support of anything that will help a child cope with this horrible disease. My cousin’s daughter has also donated her hair to “Locks of Love” as a Christmas present this past year to some little girl so she can have pretty hair again, (she is 5 and once had very very long hair but now has a bob).
    I fully suggest that everyone visits the site and see for yourselves. IMO – this is a wonderful idea.

5. by Tessa

On January 12, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Let’s all spread the word! I posted this earlier this afternoon!

6. by Anna Huckbody

On January 12, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I think the Barbie thing is great I also think that she should be dressed in pink for breast cancer also there should be other colors for the other cancers. I believe that her name could be Hope and others could be Faith or something like that. There should be different races like Asian, African American ect. Also there should be little girl dolls I know that there is a company that makes them but I think that this is very impotant because many little girls look up to their barbies and I guess Want to be them one day. I think it would help them go through Chemo with hope because their best friend that is right next to them is going through the same thing. My friend had cancer and she said that this would have made such a big impact in her life if she had a cancer barbie. Barbie is not just a toy or a doll, She is the life of many children all around the world. Please Do this for the fighting women and children out there.