Enfamil Safety Still in Doubt After Two More Illnesses

Despite laboratory research by the company that makes Enfamil powdered infant formula that showed the powder to be free of the harmful environmental bacteria Cronobacter, more cases of ill babies have parents remaining confused over the product’s safety.  Last week, Wal-Mart recalled the formula until the investigation is clearly resolved.  The Washington Post reports on the additional illnesses:

An Oklahoma baby is the third infant this month sickened by a rare type of bacteria sometimes associated with tainted powdered infant formula.

The child, from Tulsa County, was infected with Cronobacter sakazakii but fully recovered, health officials said Wednesday. An Illinois child also rebounded after being sickened by the bacteria. A Missouri infant who was 10 days old died.

The Missouri child, Avery Cornett of Lebanon, had consumed Enfamil Newborn powdered infant formula made by Illinois-based Mead Johnson. Powdered formula has been suspected in illnesses caused by the bacteria in years past.

But health officials say the Oklahoma child had not consumed Enfamil. And Mead Johnson this week reported that its own testing found no bacteria in the product.

U.S. officials are awaiting results from their own testing of powdered formula and distilled water — also known as ‘nursery water’ — used to prepare it.

The cases occurred in roughly the same region of the country. At this point, it’s not clear that they are connected, said Barbara Reynolds, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention spokeswoman.

Symptoms can include irritability, lethargy, fever, vomiting and seizures. The infection can be treated with antibiotics, but it’s still deemed extremely dangerous to babies less than 1 month old and those born premature. An estimated 40 percent of illnesses from the bacteria end in death.

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by Samantha

On December 30, 2011 at 10:17 am

Breast is Best!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do people still give this crap to their babies…. Have any of you tasted it……. I Work for an agency called WIC…… we promote the heck out of Breastfeeding @ least the first 6 Months….at least ……Idiots

2. by Nikki

On December 30, 2011 at 10:25 am

“Idiots?”I Wow, harsh words, especially coming from a WIC agent. WIC provides more formula to moms than any other organization in the US. “Promoting” breastfeeding doesn’t help moms with premature infants, or moms who can’t breastfeed for other reasons – which can range anywhere from health issues to having to return to work somewhere that doesn’t have facilities or time for pumping. Great way to be “supportive” of new moms.
    I hope they find the formula is safe. What a terrible and scary thing to happen.

3. by Dana

On December 30, 2011 at 10:31 am

I tried everything in my power to be able to breastfeed and couldn’t. Don’t u think that some moms don’t have a choice and hearing about this makes them think that there a horrible mother? That’s how i feel because i can’t breastfeed. So u should think about those mothers before u say something like that.

4. by Corona

On December 30, 2011 at 10:34 am

Great your one of those breast feeding nazi who bug women to breast feed!!! News lady not everyone can breast feed.. I had this lady bugging the hell out of me to breast feed till I Finally had her kicked out of my room!! You guys need to mind your own business and let us decide what we want to do with OUR own child!!! So stick to what your suppose to do and give out your little wic coupons and STOP BUGGING!!!!!

5. by Stephanie

On December 30, 2011 at 10:39 am

Gosh, Samantha. I have to say, your comment was extremely offensive. As a mother of 2 boys, our youngest being 3 months old, I tried with desperation and determination to breast feed my baby, nothing I did, changing my diet, medications for him, nothing worked so as to allow me to breast feed. I got very depressed over that fact because I felt as tho I had failed my baby. I hate having to have him on formula, that being said, we had no choice. We tried 8 different formulas, the very last one we tried finnnaaallllly worked. You may want to be a tad more sensitive about judging people, especially mothers, especially the mothers who don’t have a choice and feel like I did. I’m shocked to see such a comment from anyone, let alone someone who works with WIC. You’d think you would have more common sense, knowledge and empathy. I guess not.

6. by Twiggy

On December 30, 2011 at 10:43 am

Samantha keep it to yourself. Not all women are physically capable of breast feeding. I feel sorry for you, you seem so angry and miserable. I will pray for you! I wonder what WIC agency you work for because I would report you.

7. by Chelsea

On December 30, 2011 at 11:03 am

I breast fed my son for 13 months and I currently breastfeed my daughter but I don’t know how some people can give there child formula knowing the positives for your child I have friends who said they tried to breast feed but there child wouldn’t latch on but being there when they gave birth knowing they didn’t even try because they don’t want to take time out there day to feed there baby they would rather prop up a bottle cause they got better things to do.I’m not talking about moms that actually tried and couldn’t even if they only breast feed for a week the baby gets the colostrum and they have a better immune system what happened when there was no formula maybe they should limit how much formula they give out cause if people have t to pay for it maybe they would consider breastfeeding

8. by Michele

On December 30, 2011 at 11:16 am

Why the misleading title of this article?? The article you reference clearly states that one of the babies didn’t even consume Enfamil! Seems like a scare tactic on your part to get readers. Yes, people need to be informed, but just with facts!

9. by happy mommy

On December 30, 2011 at 11:41 am

I have 2 babies, both were premature, both were fed formula. I am so offended by all the mommies who breastfeed and automatically assume that anyone who doesn’t breastfeed their child is lazy or selfish. I’m sick of being made to feel as though I’m a terrible mother because of my (involuntary) choice to use formula. My babies are healthy and happy, and isn’t that what is most important? I didn’t miss out on bonding with my children. In fact, my 2 year old is practically glued to my hip, he knows his mama loves him. I never “prop their bottle”, they are snuggled and held just as much as they would be if they breastfed. Ladies, please get off your high horses, breastfeeding does not automatically make you a better mom. As for Samantha, you remind me of the lady from my WIC office who called mommies who formula feed selfish and blamed her obesity on her mother who fed her formula. Maybe she should just lay off the cheeseburgers? My mom fed me formula too, and guess what? I’m not obese! Ugh.

10. by Erica

On December 30, 2011 at 11:47 am

I agree with Samantha! I understand if you can’t produce, but if you’ve never even given bfing a try your just a lazy and vain mother.

I will ALWAYS choose what’s best for my child. Not what’s convenient. Hell I will donate my extra breastmilk to a child in nicu if you want to go that far.

11. by Cassondra

On December 30, 2011 at 11:58 am

I agree. I bfed the first month and got mastitis. If you can’t bfeed then you do what you need for your child. Get over yourselves. That’s why I can’t stand mothers who breastfeed, they are vain and self absorbed. CRAP happens and God bless mothers who even do for their children

12. by Tracy

On December 30, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Ugh, people like Samantha irritate the crap out of me. My first two children were formula fed…Partially due to my young age and being uninformed…partially due to how much attention and energy it took. I just had my third child at 29, and I decided her being my last child that I wanted to try and bfeed. It has been the most rewarding experience I’ve ever had, and would definitely recommend doing it if you CAN. Never would I throw this belief in someone’s face repeatedly. It takes a lot of physical and emotional attention, and honestly I almost gave up completely after trying for two days. I was so drained and was so upset. Its definitely not for everyone, be it they just don’t want to or physically cannot. I would NEVER judge anyone for what they want to do with THEIR child. That being said, one of these children didn’t even consume Enfamil, so why are they still linking the brand with the third illness? Seems like everyone’s just trying to point fingers at this point. Tragic as this story is, I think its completely way too early to jump the gun, especially since one test has already came back negative. But for safety’s sake, if you have to use forumla, I’d stick with the liquid version for now, as it can be heated up hot enough to kill the bacteria and is considered sterile, as to where the powder form is not. Just a thought.

13. by Tashii

On December 30, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I agree that bfeeding is best but things dnt always work out as u plan…. And for those who think u can force ppl to do ought to be ashamed. I listened to a bfeeding counselor thru wic and my newborn’s weight declined bc I was having difficulties producibg enough. Its like ppl are on a witchhunt. They were advising me improperly and wouldnt accept that I couldnt breastfeed. I say do the best to keep ur baby healthy. Mommy knows whats best!

14. by Bookworm

On December 30, 2011 at 12:38 pm

My niece’s mother died shortly after she was born, so breastfeeding is not a possibility. This militant, elitist, I’m obviously such a better mother than those other losers attitude that some women have is disgusting.

15. by Disapointed in people

On December 30, 2011 at 1:58 pm

it is sad how close minded people are. every one who doesn’t breast feed is a terrible mother and doesn’t have there child’s best interest in mind. some of these comments are quite one sided. i convinced a lot of my friends to breastfeed. i wanted to breast feed my daughter and she would not latch. she lost 10 ounces in one day while we were in the hospital because she was not latching. i pumped and tried to put her to breast every day for 6 weeks i had the lactation specialist from my doctors office help me and she still would not latch. at 6 weeks my milk supply stopped. so what should i have done let my daughter starve to death because i could not breast feed? obviously breast is best but don’t make it seem like its the only thing. and as for WIC, they provides Enfamil formula to moms in some states

16. by Cynthia

On December 30, 2011 at 2:28 pm

While i do agree that best is best and that a mother should make an effort at breast feeding unless there is a medical reason why they cant. Samantha you are being horrible. You have no idea what these women’s circumstances are and im very Pro Breast feeding. I was not able to breast feed my first son past one month. My milk just stopped coming. I still feel bad about it and he is 3. However i have been able to breast feed my daughter til the present and she is 14 months old.

17. by Natalie

On December 30, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Funny how women always come up with excuses on how they just “can’t” breastfeed, particularly in the U.S. If you go to almost any other country, women don’t see it as a choice they see it as what is meant for their children. It’s automatic. I’d like to see you go to a third world country and cry to those women about having so much stress and other children, or how much it just hurts. They’ll look at you like you’re crazy. If you can’t handle babies, then don’t have them. Plain and simple. Why have a child and then after six weeks give it to someone else to feed and raise all day. Kind of selfish in my opinion. For all the mothers that say they MUST work then yes you can pump. Get over it! They have pumps that go in your bra, come on! Do it on lunch breaks, 15min breaks, before and after work, night time whenever! We do have laws in this country that demand breaks you know, and privacy acts that support us. Woman up and feed your babies the nutrition they deserve. That was harsh using premature infants as an excuse as well. Your breasts still produce that milk, and there is even medicine to help it out. There is no way that those babies are able to accept powder form milk, but not breastmilk. But in reality it’s supply and demand, for those that aren’t trying, it won’t do it for you. Breastfeeding might be considered “hard” for some people but so is raising children altogether. If you can’t do the job right then don’t do it at all.

18. by Cynthia

On December 30, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Natalie,
    even in third world countries it does happen that some women just cant breast feed. Not nearly as much as US Doctors would have us believe but that’s largely because so many doctors are getting their literature from the manufacturers of formula. And i can tell you i tried everything to breast feed my son. I even tried to pump once the milk dried up to see if i could get it back. but it wasn’t coming i am fortunate enough to continue to successfully nurse my baby girl at 14 months. There are also a lot of doctors who tell women not to breast feed for one stupid reason or another and some people don’t know better then to listen. maybe instead of spewing venom you can start a campaign to help properly educate women on things they can do to help if their supply starts to go or if their child has milk allergies. that all they have to do is give up cows milk products and they can still nurse their baby.
    I am blessed enough that my husbands pay is enough for me to stay at home even though its very tight but some women who dont have that luxury also don’t have the luxury to risk getting fired from their job by starting trouble. regardless of whether or not we have laws that are supposed to stop it and the right to pump the fact is it happens women get fired for “not doing their job” but they are really getting fired because the boss doesn’t want to put up you. and for many women if it comes down to formula so they can provide all the other needs or risking loosing their job (especially in this economy) its easy to judge from your little space in the world because your not in their.

19. by fjksdalj;

On December 30, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Natalie-
    Until you’ve had a premature baby and can understand the EXTREME amount of obstacles there are in regards to feeding them, you need to shut your mouth. My son was born 2 months early and absoulutely COULD NOT latch. he didn’t have the strength to do it. In fact, for the first 2 weeks of his life he was fed by a tube that went down his nose into his tummy. I pumped constantly, to the point that I was pumping blood instead of milk. It was agony. It was worse than the pain I experienced delivering him. And even through all of that, he still needed to be suplemented with a special high calorie FORMULA because he would not gain weight. After being released from the NICU, I continued to pump and try latching him on whenever possible. After 6 weeks of stress on both mine and my sons part, I finally made the decision to switch him exclusively to the high calorie formula which our pediatrician kept us on until 4 mos of age. It was not because of lack of education on the wonders of breastfeeding that we couldn’t. During our time in the NICU, I got to meet with numerous lactation consultants and occupational therapists. Thank GOD not one of them ever spouted the same ignorant crap that you and Samantha have. My son will be 2 in just a couple weeks and he is still small, but he is happy and he is healthy. The decision I made was MINE to make, and I’m pretty sure when my baby is all grown up he’s not gonna hate me because I gave him a freaking bottle instead of a boob. Every situation is different. Every mother is different. Respect her ability to make the decisions that as a mother are hers to make. You are not a better mother than anyone else simply because you were able to breastfeed. I don’t understand where women get off feeling this way. Is it like some sort of inferiority complex? I don’t know. I just know I’m sick and tired of the whole debate. I’m sick of being attacked for the choices it is my God-given right to make. I’m sick of being embarassed every time I pull out a bottle in public to feed my baby. Breastfeeding mommies, you’re not the only ones. Every time I feed my baby in public, I’m almost scared I’m going to get mobbed by a crowd of angry pro-breast activists, which is absolutely absurd. So, going back to my original statements, until you’ve been in our shoes, shut your mouth, FRICK!

20. by Cynthia

On December 30, 2011 at 8:32 pm

let me start by saying I breastfed both of my girls my first til 9 months and my 2nd til 6months (now)…My first did not have nay problems my second just kept throwing it up. I tried changing my diet but it didnt work so I went to formula and just breastfed her twice a day. She is doing way better on formula…There are benefits in both breastfeeding&formula feeding it just all depends on 1. The mother& if she can breastfeed 2. If the baby likes it or body will take it.

21. by ds

On December 30, 2011 at 11:35 pm

So Samantha, I should have just left my twins starve to death and die then huh? Good thing I’m an idiot.

22. by LeeAnn

On December 31, 2011 at 12:37 am

I have 4 kids. I have to try and breastfeed them all. My first would not take it. She would scream and scream. I pumped for the first month. My second did great she breastfeed for 15 months. As a matter of fact she would only take breast no bottle. My third feed for a month. But then just didn’t want it. Now I have a two month old and he is doing great. I don’t think e have any right to judge how other moms choose to feed their babies. Sometimes its not there fault. I’m sorry for all you moms who have tried to breastfeed and can’t. It’s a wonderful experience. I feel so close to the baby. Breastfeeding is not for everybody and that’s ok. Not our place to.judge.

23. by Ash

On December 31, 2011 at 9:23 am

Hey Samantha, just so you know you are the one that sounds like an idiot. I breastfeed my first son for 14 months. When my second son came my milk didn’t let down for 3 weeks. Once I got my milk it was gone after 2 weeks. So for sime unknown reason (which had nothing to do with me being an idiot) I was unable to breastfeed my second son. Get off your high horse and make sure you land on your face on the way down. You should never cast judgement on others… Especially women you know nothing about!

24. by Ash

On December 31, 2011 at 9:28 am

Oh and Natalie, do you watch the news? Babies and children are starving in third world countries. A lot of moms can not breast feed there because they are malnourished and dehydrated. If a mom can not eat and can not stay hydrated she can not produce milk. You and Samantha should hang out together.

25. by Heather

On June 15, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I know this is an old thread but unfortunately, not everyone can breastfeed. My daughter was 3 weeks early and would not latch. When she did latch, she fell asleep and wouldnt suck. I pumped colostrum and fed it to her with a syringe. We continued trying to breastfeed because I was very against formula feeding.. finally after not latching for 7 or 8 hours we decided to use an SNS. It’s a tube that attaches to a bottle and goes down into the babies mouth while trying to latch. This got her to latch and suck for a few minutes but wasn’t successful. Once we got home I decided to use a breast shield which worked for the latching part but she would still fall asleep and not suck. So i pumped and pumped and pumped. She was born 6 lbs 8 oz and two days later was down to 5 lbs. She also became severely jaundiced and had to be hospitalized with billi levels of 20. While she was in the hospital with jaundice i developed a severe UTI and had to go on antibiotics. I did not feel comfortable bfing while taking them so I pumped and dumped and finally gave her formula. During this time, my supply became less and less and by 6 weeks was nonexistent. I cried that I could not breastfeed, it was a huge loss for me. I want to do everything best for her but I was not able. And to those who think everyone gets breaks, you’re wrong. I’m a server in a restaurant and we do NOT get breaks. Yes the law says we’re supposed to but it doesn’t happen. It would be impossible for me to wait on tables and have time to breastfeed at work.. considering I rarely have time to even use the restroom while at work. Not everyone is the same so stop being so judgemental. :)