Consumer Agency Warns Parents About Bumbo Seat Safety

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has issued a warning that Bumbo chairs, which are designed to help support young babies as they learn to sit upright, have been responsible for at least 45 serious head injuries, including skull fractures, when parents have placed the seats on elevated surfaces like chairs, countertops, or tabletops.

The new warning comes despite an October 2007 voluntary recall of the seats, which were subsequently re-released with notices printed on the products instructing parents to refrain from placing the seats on elevated surfaces.

The Bumbo website’s homepage currently features a prominent warning that reads, “Never use the Bumbo baby seat on any elevated surface. The seat is not designed to be totally restrictive. Use of the seat on any elevated surface may result in serious injury. Never leave your child unattended.”

But the CPSC and the product company, Bumbo International, says that too many parents are ignoring the warnings as well as good safety practices, at great risk to their children.  From a joint statement issued last week:

CPSC and Bumbo International are also aware of an additional 50 reports of infants falling or maneuvering out of Bumbo seats used on the floor and at unknown elevations. These incidents include two reports of skull fractures and one report of a concussion that occurred when babies fell out of Bumbo seats used on the floor. These injuries reportedly occurred when the infants struck their heads on hard flooring, or in one case, on a nearby toy.

The Bumbo seat is labeled and marketed to help infants sit in an upright position as soon as they can support their head. The product warnings state that the seat “may not prevent release of your baby in the event of vigorous movement.” Infants as young as 3 months can fall or escape from the seat by arching backward, leaning forward or sideways or rocking.

Bumbo seats are not currently under a new recall, though parents are urged to heed safety warnings, and not leave children unattended in the seats.

(Image via: http://bumbo.com/)

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by http://odszkodowanie.is-great.org

On September 24, 2012 at 1:31 pm

MTV Releases a Jersey Shore GTL Badge | Foursquare Atlanta I was optional this web locate by my cousin. I’m not definite whether this send is written by him as thumbs down one as well know such thorough on the subject of my problem. You’re amazing! Thanks! your article in relation to MTV Releases a Jersey Shore GTL Badge | Foursquare AtlantaBest Regards Agata

2. by Support Stocking

On October 2, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Doh! I was domain shopping at dd24.com and went to type in the domain name: http://www.parents.com/blogs/parents-news-now/2011/11/28/safety/consumer-agency-warns-parents-about-bumbo-seat-safety/ and guess who already owns it? You did! lol j/k. I was about to purchase this good domain name but noticed it had been taken so I figured I’d come check it out. Wonderful blog!

3. by watch gceleb

On October 3, 2012 at 9:52 am

My coder is trying to persuade me to move to Ruby on Rails from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he’s keeps bothering. I’ve been working with Blogs Organizer on various websites for about 7 months and i am concerned about switching to another program. I have heard excellent things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4. by Full Report

On October 6, 2012 at 3:41 am

Howdy, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any assistance is very much appreciated.

5. by Visit thre

On October 12, 2012 at 8:13 am

I am curious to find out what blog platform you’re working with? I’m having some minor security problems with my latest site and I would like to find something more secure. Do you have any recommendations?

6. by do not click

On October 13, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Hey there! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog. Is it tough to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m thinking about setting up my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Cheers

7. by do not click

On October 13, 2012 at 7:46 pm

You have noted very interesting details ! ps nice web site. “It is better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for what you are not.” by Andre Gide.

8. by TKD Ansbach

On October 26, 2012 at 1:29 am

Wow! This can be one particular of the most beneficial blogs We’ve ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Excellent. I’m also a specialist in this topic therefore I can understand your hard work.

9. by wankzilla

On October 26, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Hello, i really enjoy reading your blog. I like the way its layd out, and totally dig the design. Is there any way to subscribe to your site?

10. by professionelle website selbst erstellen

On October 30, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Its like you learn my thoughts! You seem to know a lot approximately this, such as you wrote the book in it or something. I believe that you could do with a few % to power the message house a little bit, however instead of that, this is magnificent blog. A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.

11. by Gangster

On November 4, 2012 at 7:54 am

thanks that was a decent entertaining information, tons of problems in the world these times, and almost all we Sheeps do – is wanting what the famous people do, for instance View Nude Celebrity Recordings, despite the fact that we rather must aim on whats moving on in the planet, it converts out to become a penitentiary world until we start fighthing for our legal rights back!

12. by crear pagina web en yahoo

On November 6, 2012 at 1:34 am

It’s onerous to find knowledgeable individuals on this subject, but you sound like you realize what you’re speaking about! Thanks

13. by Asa Guss

On November 12, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I intended to draft you that very little observation just to say thank you once again for those wonderful views you’ve contributed at this time. It was simply extremely generous of you to allow extensively all that a lot of folks would have sold as an ebook to generate some dough for themselves, certainly seeing that you might well have done it in case you decided. The tips additionally worked to become a fantastic way to be aware that some people have a similar passion just like my own to grasp good deal more around this condition. I’m sure there are thousands of more pleasurable situations up front for individuals who see your website.

14. by Alida Steeber

On November 28, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Yeah. I maintain on asking these antisemitic posters when it really is my transform in the caves of Bermuda to control the world money supply (someone’s lost the roster with my title on it), ’cause I’d love to fly the kids out and declare the hotel room for a organization expense (so no one knows I’m while in the caves, the thing is)but they under no circumstances seem to know. n nHenry Adams was rather undistinguished. Outside of Historical past Classes with the advanced Uni level, no a single I understand reads him today. Thus usually to Amalek.

15. by HEALTHYLIVINGGUIDE

On January 1, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Very interesting details you have observed , regards for putting up. “Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome.” by Arthur Ashe.