Parents Avoiding E-Books for Young Children

Parents are putting down the tablets, smartphones, and other e-readers when it’s time to read to their kids, The New York Times is reporting.  The article reveals that even parents who are loyal device readers themselves turn to old-fashioned “dead-tree” books at storytime:

This is the case even with parents who themselves are die-hard downloaders of books onto Kindles, iPads, laptops and phones. They freely acknowledge their digital double standard, saying they want their children to be surrounded by print books, to experience turning physical pages as they learn about shapes, colors and animals.

Parents also say they like cuddling up with their child and a book, and fear that a shiny gadget might get all the attention. Also, if little Joey is going to spit up, a book may be easier to clean than a tablet computer.

“It’s intimacy, the intimacy of reading and touching the world. It’s the wonderment of her reaching for a page with me,” said Leslie Van Every, 41, a loyal Kindle user in San Francisco whose husband, Eric, reads on his iPhone. But for their 2 1/2-year-old daughter, Georgia, dead-tree books, stacked and strewn around the house, are the lone option.

“She reads only print books,” Ms. Van Every said, adding with a laugh that she works for a digital company, CBS Interactive. “Oh, the shame.”

Image: Parents reading to child, via Shutterstock.

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by Karen

On November 21, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I agree. I do everything on my phone, but try to keep the electronics away from my 2 1/2 year old. I want her to grow up with traditional books and “old-fashioned” toys.

2. by Josette at Halushki

On November 21, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I don’t think it’s a double standard. Electronic media isn’t something you can leave around the house for kids to pick up and interact with as they like. I mean, unless you have the bubble wrap version of an eReader.

3. by K. Vulture aka J. Croston

On November 24, 2011 at 6:21 am

This is a fascinating discussion. As a “wired” parent, how long can you keep your kids “unwired?” Can a “wired” household have “unwired” values?

4. by Scrapeboard Marketplace

On December 18, 2011 at 10:08 pm

keep up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to see a nice blog like this one these days..

5. by gateway chevrolet

On December 31, 2011 at 4:00 am

Wow! I’m truly enjoying the layout of your site. Are you using a customized template or is this freely available to all users? If you really don’t want to say the name of it out in the public, please contact me at: 335921Fiorella@gmail.com. I’d love to get my hands on this theme! Thanks a lot.

6. by משאית הובלות

On January 1, 2012 at 1:34 am

7. by הובלה עם מנוף

On January 20, 2012 at 12:47 am

Stackable boxes really are a must when moving house, regardless of self-drive van hire or removal company lorry. Sturdy green, recyclable boxes that can be reused repeatedly are the most useful choice for frequent house moves as well as for long-term storage – regardless of where the home move happens. There is nothing more frustrating than needing to reload many times, because the awkward way in which things are packed prevent a fully loaded van making one tour and one tour only.