Conservative Moms Group Protests New Ben & Jerry’s Flavor

ht_schweddy_balls_ice_cream_flavor_ll_110908_wblogThe conservative mother’s organization One Million Moms is calling for a boycott of a new flavor of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream that the moms say has a vulgar and offensive name.

“Schweddy Balls” ice cream was launched in early September as a vanilla ice cream with fudge-covered rum and milk chocolate malt balls.  Its name comes from a popular Alec Baldwin “Saturday Night Live” sketch in which he plays a baker named Pete Schweddy.  As The Today Show reports, “The most famous line (and the one most often repeated by drunk frat boys) is his end note: ‘No one can resist my Schweddy Balls.’”

One Million Moms says the name is inappropriate for children and should be boycotted.  In a statement on its website, the organization said, “The vulgar new flavor has turned something as innocent as ice cream into something repulsive. Not exactly what you want a child asking for at the supermarket.”

The group had previously objected to “Hubby Hubby,” a version of Ben & Jerry’s Chubby Hubby ice cream that was released in 2009 to celebrate legalized gay marriage.

As for Schweddy Balls, “We’ve been hearing from many fans. It appeals to those who love our irreverent sense of humor,” Ben & Jerry’s spokesperson Sean Greenwood told Gannett News Service. “If you watch the skit, it’s a lot easier to get the joke,” he said.

(image via: http://abcnews.go.com)

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by michelle b VT

On September 21, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Come on ladies get a grip! Everything out there can not be child-proofed even icecream. I, as a mother of 4, see no problem. Adult jokes are good for you enjoy them.

2. by Jeff

On September 22, 2011 at 7:40 am

Wow, if this is the worst thing the “million moms” have to whine about, things can’t be too bad….

3. by conservative mom

On September 23, 2011 at 11:01 am

I consider myself very conservative, as do my friends and colleagues. If Ben & Jerry’s wants to name their ice-cream something you consider offensive, just don’t buy it. Who cares? Buy Breyers, or Hershey’s, or Friendly’s. It seems silly to waste energy protesting an ice cream flavor name when there are so many more important issues that need to be addressed.

4. by Jeb Hardison

On September 23, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Seriously?!? Let’s protest NBC and General Electric too, they allowed this “vulgarity”. By the way, if your kid is asking for Ben & Jerry’s flavors by name, you have a bigger problem on your hands (no pun intended).

5. by art wegweiser

On September 25, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Unreal! With a thousand things a parent of growing young children has to worry about, it is the name of an ice cream flavor?
    These Moms should pay a lot more attention to other things such as the disaster “Conservative” buddies have and are creating for the future of their kids. I guess these are the kinder, kircher und kücher moms.

6. by Holly

On September 28, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I laughed when I watched the SNL skit and I’d smile if I saw this ice cream flavor in the market – who are these people if their kids would ‘get’ the joke if they saw it?! Do they let them watch SNL? Even if my children noticed the name (and at ages 7 and 6 they can read) they would think it was something you would play with on the playground – those are the only kind of ‘balls’ we talk about at our house.

7. by crys

On October 1, 2011 at 7:34 am

It is rum flavored fudge not intended for kids anyway. I have 3 kids and find it funny. Are these the same people who made Karlma Surta go away. I love that flavor.

8. by Coco

On October 7, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Stop acting like such concerned parents I have daugter and she is well takeb care of instead of complaining about everything and using up all of your energy on something so stupid take that energey to help your child suceed and do better in life pount blank so many of you need to figure out your priorities and get them together

9. by Edward

On October 16, 2011 at 8:54 am

If they don’t like it don’t buy it. These people need to stop trying to force their idea of morality down everyone’s throat.

10. by Spade13

On October 16, 2011 at 10:14 am

I myself am a mother of 5, and the solution is simple: Dont feed your kids Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream! My kids might get a milkshake now and then if we are eaing out but as it stands, we dont even BUY icecream for our house. I dont feel that Ice cream is a NEED and if you are so worried about the name on the carton, maybe you shouldnt be buying it at all. The reality of it is, ben and jerrys “schweddy balls” is already on the shelf, so somewhere along the way, that name had to be approved by a couple hundred people before it made it that far. Youre not going o get anywhere boycotting the product, its already there and nobody is going to take it off the shelf just because a few “conservative moms” dont like the name. Chances are you and your children dont need it anyways.

11. by Beez

On October 16, 2011 at 10:16 am

So, I don’t get it – everyone should have the freedom to not buy it, but they don’t have the freedom to suggest that other like-minded people not buy it?

Here’s an idea: if you don’t like the idea of a boycott, don’t participate. There, wasn’t that simple?

12. by Tom

On October 16, 2011 at 11:27 am

We used to have a nation when these flavors would never even get close to a shelf anywhere in this nation. Now even many who claim to be conservative are accepting the world’s vulgarity. It’s saddening and disgusting.

13. by Sam Charade

On October 16, 2011 at 12:04 pm

This goes deeper than ice cream. These women want to see the total absence of balls everywhere. They hate men.

14. by hemorrhoids treatments

On December 12, 2011 at 2:42 am

I just like the helpful information you supply on your articles. I will bookmark your blog and test once more here frequently. I’m quite certain I will be informed many new stuff proper here! Good luck for the following!

15. by Retail Display Case

On December 16, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I feel this is among the most vital info for me. And i am satisfied reading your article. But want to commentary on few basic things, The site taste is ideal, the articles is in reality nice : D. Good task, cheers

16. by Joseph Pearson

On March 6, 2012 at 11:14 am

I’m “Allison” from One Million Moms. We’re actually a covert Islamic splinter group working to impose sharia law internationally … There’s a stoning for Danica Patrick scheduled next Tuesday at 5 if you can make it.

17. by Lena

On June 26, 2012 at 6:01 pm

wow! this is a real crises how could ben and jerrys do such a disgraceful thing! Let me guess these moms are snotty suburbanites who are bored sitting at home while their husbands are out working! really after a day at the salon what else is there to do ?
    Well lets see my day begins at 6 am get up get the kids together feed them dress the take my husband to work then drop the kids off at babysitter and school. come back clean up breakfast go to work pick up the kids pick up the husband go to the market buy dinner come home make dinner supervise the kids with homework etc, do the dishes bathe and get the kids ready for bed now its time to clean the house and if i am lucky i will be in bed by 11 pm ……But wait wasnt there something important on my mind all day? yep its the pesky Ben and Jerry’s new ice cream flavor /name…of all the things i worry about in my day this is by far the most important! Get Real bunch if retards!

18. by JLK

On June 26, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Absolutely genius move by Ben and Jerry’s. Not only do they get the publicity from naming their product something silly, but then they calculate the level of ‘offensiveness’ precisely, so that the fringe groups protest, and the rest of society lands firmly in the Ben and Jerry’s camp.

GENIUS!

19. by Austin

On June 26, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I got 99 problems but a b!tch ain’t one. And neither is the name of an ice cream flavor. How often do you stand there in the store with your kids and read out every ice cream flavor? My experience with kids; chocolate or vanilla and keep on moving.

20. [...] Conservative Moms Group Protests New Ben & Jerry’s Flavor (Parents.com) [...]

21. by rachel

On June 26, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I am so sick of this Million mom group. I dont think they even have a million members, god I hate people like this.

22. by sandys

On June 26, 2012 at 7:48 pm

After reading the article I’m going to buy some!

23. by Joe

On June 26, 2012 at 8:25 pm

These “moms” protest everything! One Million Moms is a hate group. They are bigots disguised as Christians.

24. by Teo

On June 28, 2012 at 4:24 am

Because these moms have all licked Schweddy Balls and regretted it!

25. by kalendarz

On October 30, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I enjoy you because of all your valuable labor on this web site. Kate delights in getting into investigation and it’s really easy to see why. We hear all relating to the dynamic medium you provide both interesting and useful guidelines on this blog and as well as welcome response from other ones on that point then my child is truly discovering a lot of things. Enjoy the remaining portion of the new year. Your conducting a tremendous job.

26. by ganhar Massa muscular rápido

On November 5, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Εxcеllent post howеver I was wondeгing if you could write a littе more on this subjeсt?
    I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Kudos!

27. by hairstyles 2013

On December 2, 2012 at 10:15 am

Keep up the great piece of work, I read few articles on this web site and I conceive that your website is rattling interesting and contains circles of superb information.

28. by piano lesson software

On December 3, 2012 at 8:54 am

Keep up the fantastic work, I read few blog posts on this web site and I believe that your blog is real interesting and contains bands of fantastic info.