“Pretty” Girls T-Shirt Sparks Outrage

jcpennyshirtA T-shirt for girls sold by JC Penney caused an online uproar this week for its message suggesting that pretty girls don’t do homework.

Sold in sizes 7 to 16, the shirt said, “I’m too pretty to do homework, so my brother has to do it for me.” The description of the shirt read: “Who has time for homework when there’s a new Justin Bieber album out? She’ll love this tee that’s just as cute and sassy as she is.”

But many bloggers and others saw the shirt as anything but cute, decrying what they viewed as an unhealthy message for young girls.

“I have three bright, funny nieces who are 7, 5 and 5 and I never want them to believe the message on this shirt is true,” Jessica Wakeman wrote on TheFrisky.com. “Its sale price ($9.99 down from the original $16.99) seems to indicate that people may be too smart to buy into such girl-undermining messaging,” Jen Doll wrote on The Village Voice blog. Jenna Sauers on Jezebel.com said that the tee “explicitly associates intelligence with being a boy, and looking pretty with being a girl.” An online petition demanding that JC Penney stop selling the shirt quickly gathered more than a thousand signatures.

JCPenney reacted within hours of the first complaints Wednesday, removing the shirt from its website, and issuing a statement. From The Village Voice:

J.C. Penney is committed to being America’s destination for great style and great value for the whole family. We agree that the “Too pretty” t-shirt does not deliver an appropriate message, and we have immediately discontinued its sale. Our merchandise is intended to appeal to a broad customer base, not to offend them. We would like to apologize to our customers and are taking action to ensure that we continue to uphold the integrity of our merchandise that they have come to expect.

Kate Coultas, spokeswoman for JC Penney, told The Voice:

“One of the reasons we’re so outraged is that this is not what we stand for. We’ve facilitated over $100 million [in donations] over the past 10 years to support after-school programs in local communities. That’s a key important message for us.”

What do you think of the T-shirt? Would you let your daughter wear it?

(image via: http://www.thefrisky.com)

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by Maggie

On September 2, 2011 at 10:06 am

Sadly, the shirt is a symptom, not a cause. The glittery, make-up ridden, fashion obsessed “tween” world is our own fault for the way we raise our kids. I’m so glad that so many people got together and forced JC Penny to remove this product from their store. Rock on, smart Mamas and Papas!

2. by Wendy Cox

On September 6, 2011 at 9:04 am

I think this is absolutely RIDICULOUS!!!! So THIS shirt sends the wrong message, but the shirt that says “will trade brother for pony” isnt? Give me a frigin break people!! Its a shirt!! If you dont like it, dont buy it!! I think its funny!! And I have no problem letting my daughter wear this shirt. Its meant to be funny!! This is whats wrong with the world today!! All you crazy people are taking the humor out of it, in a day that we need it!!! Get a life and go complain about something that actually deserves it!!!

3. by Angela

On September 6, 2011 at 9:05 am

Come on people, with everything going on in this world. People having no where to live and some not having food to feed their kids and all we have to worry about is what a shirt says. There is nothing wrong with the shirt, i have seen worse. Come on people where is everyones humor. The way this world is, I am thankful for any humor to get me through the day.

4. by The Happy Wife/Danielle

On September 6, 2011 at 9:10 am

I appreciate JCPenney stepping up and removing this product, but why was it for sale through them in the first place. Someone there approved this item for sale at some point. For them to turn around and say that THEY are “outraged” says they are not taking responsibility for the actions of their buyers.

5. by Nicole

On September 6, 2011 at 9:12 am

It’s just a shirt, Jesus. Get over it people!!

6. by Alyssa Neavitt

On September 6, 2011 at 9:13 am

No it doesn’t send the right message to little girls but it’s just as bad as another shirt I saw at a JCPenny store that said “Everyone is entitled to my opinion”. What about the toddler shirts at Spencer’s Gifts that say “if you think i’m a bitch you should meet my mommy” or “my daddy can kick your daddy’s ass”? Where is the big controversery about them? The fact is we love to dress our kids in clothes that are playfully rebellious and we shouldn’t pick and choose because none are worse than another. What about the kids book comming out that tells our little girls, that are already bombarded with sexually charged body image ads, that girls have to be skinny to have friends. We need to do everything in our power to boost our daughters self image! In this time of young children with bulimia, anarexia, on anti-depressants, and teen suicides on the rise….can we really afford not to.

7. by Angela H

On September 6, 2011 at 9:14 am

I will first say that I have all boys so I can’t speak from firsthand experience. But I, as a parent and a female, do not have a problem with this shirt. I can see where some would take an implied meaning of a lack of intelligence in pretty girls. But I also see it as a joke…just like blonde jokes. So, I would say, if a girl is strong enough to wear the shirt and KNOW it’s only a girly joke, what’s the harm?? But for those young girls with a low self-esteem, obviously you wouldn’t want to encourage the thought of pretty girls not being smart enough to do their own homework. Our attitudes and actions should speak louder than a $10 t-shirt anyday. It’s up to parents to help instill that boldness in our daughters to begin with.

8. by Jessika

On September 6, 2011 at 9:15 am

If your daughter stops doing homework because a shirt told her too, I think you have more things to worry about then what her clothes say. It’s a cute shirt that is ment to be funny, That is all. I agree with Wendy, If you don’t like it don’t buy it.. You choose what your children wear the stores do not. Personally I would let my daughter wear it.

9. by Angela

On September 6, 2011 at 9:24 am

I really think that at this point, this comes down to nothing but humor. My question is this: If you are teaching your children right, then what is wrong with the shirt? I also agree with Jessika, if your daughter stops doing her homework because of a shirt. Then I think that falls back on you as a parent.I have 3 daughters and I would let all of them wear it.

10. by Shauna

On September 6, 2011 at 9:24 am

I don’t see the big deal, it’s all in good fun. If people took those shirts seriously, kids would be in the dog house with their teachers.

11. by Julie

On September 6, 2011 at 9:28 am

Nope, I won’t let my daughter wear it. I get that it’s a joke, yes. There might have even been a time, before I actually had a daughter, that I would have found this cute and/or funny.
    But, I find any and all shirts in this genre (and that goes for boys shirts as well, for my son) to be in poor taste, honestly. My daughter is bright AND beautiful, and my son is not “trouble” or really in any way rebellious. Like my daughter, he is bright AND good-looking (of course, I’m their mom…I’m probably biased, lol).
    Shirts like this just send the wrong message.

12. by Candise Williams

On September 6, 2011 at 9:29 am

The only thing about a little girl that’s not pretty is acting dumb. We need to show our daughters a more positive image.

13. by Marine Wife

On September 6, 2011 at 9:38 am

I think it all comes down to is that one over dramatic mom, who probably dresses her kids in the same boring outfit every day, got her panties in a bunch over this! Then you all know how it goes. Once one person has an opinion… Everyone else feels like they have to follow because they can’t handle having their own opinion. Honestly… It’s just a shirt. Who cares?!?! If you’re this upset over a shirt, you might as well lock up your kids in their rooms. Because there are way worse things in this world!

14. by Anna M.

On September 6, 2011 at 9:45 am

This is simply an opportunity to teach our children what’s appropriate and what’s not, that everything that we see on a tee shirt is not fact, etc. The fact is is that we can’t control what’s “out there” and we can’t shield our children from everything but what we can do is teach our children right from wrong (as we see it, that is) from day one. And quite frankly the biggest tool for educating our children is leading by example. What are we teaching our children when we let writing on a tee shirt anger us? What might we teach them if we point out to them that it’s inappropriate and why we feel that way and then show them how we simply let it go? We show them that we don’t attach to what may otherwise be offensive; that even people in the clothing industry actually make some poor choices considering that they are human; that what other people say, do or think does not have to affect us. I think that would speak volumes. We’re not going to change the world by some crusade against everything that may be offensive but we can make a ripple by making changes within ourselves and passing along that inner growth and wisdom to our children.

15. by Cat

On September 6, 2011 at 9:47 am

I don’t have a problem with the shirt, in fact when I saw it O cracked up laughing and thought. That is to halarious and guess what, I bought it for my Goddaughter. It’s a shirt that is meant to be funny. People these days take things to seriously. C’mon, really if you don’t like it fine don’t buy it. Do you really need to fuss about it to the world? There will ALWAYS be things out there that you will not like. Get over it people it’s just a shirt.

16. by Bev Lewis

On September 6, 2011 at 9:52 am

I Knew this world was filled with people who were so uptight that they could possibly…as the old folks would say squeeze coal to make a diamond..But really this is going a little too far. It is just a shirt. Plain and simple. It is supposed to be funny. I bet that if you read this shirt to almost ANY little girl with a brother who has any self confidence at all she would at least giggle! As a parent YOU have the right to purchase clothes you would want your daughter to wear AND with that right you also have the power to NOT purchase anything you do not want her to wear. But to demand that this shirt be taken out of circulation at stores or taking it off the web site because YOU dont like the “message” it is sending is a little too much…Lighten up a little…Learn to laugh.

17. by Tara

On September 6, 2011 at 9:56 am

Completely agree with Anna M!!!! She states it perfect!

18. by Ashley

On September 6, 2011 at 9:56 am

I agree its just a shirt, ppl need to get over it. I have 3 daughters and 2 sons, all my girls would wear it and i would get one for my sons that says “im to handsome to do homework so my sister does it for me,” yes ppl it goes both ways, its how you raise your child, not what they see on tv or hear, some ppl just need to parent and not let media do it for them!!!

19. by Lazidaisical

On September 6, 2011 at 10:18 am

Haha. I want this shirt for myself. In college my brother did my Statistics homework when I was uncertain whether I’d pass and I wrote two of his final English essays when he was struggling. This is so stupid to get worked up over. Like other people have said, if this tee is going to influence your daughter to do more than just laugh, then you’ve got a bigger problem that you’re trying to distract yourself from.

20. by Dawn

On September 6, 2011 at 10:43 am

Beauty fades, dumb is forever. – Judge Judy

21. by sheena

On September 6, 2011 at 10:49 am

I did not realise we lived in such a broken society that the clothes our children wear determines how they act. For years now all I have seen is “princess” stuff in every store. So does that make our daughters “royalty”? If I put my son in a t-shirt that said “I can’t do my homework today I’m bizy eating warms” do you really think that’s what he will be doing? I didn’t realise that shirts with logos was what our children’s growth and development was depended on. I was raised on the thought that our parents were responsible for our growth and development. I think it was stupid to take the shirts off the racks. All those signatures were from a bunch of bizy body moms/dads that had nothing better to do but correct the worlds problems cuz they can’t correct their own. Get a life people and take care of YOUR OWN CHILDREN!!

22. by Erika

On September 6, 2011 at 11:20 am

I definitely see both sides here… I believe that it is just a shirt, but at the same time it sends a message. The problem is, kids do have a sense of humor, but they also take things more seriously than adults do. Their sense of irony isn’t developed like ours is. If they see their mom pick up this shirt in the store and laugh and think it is “so great I have to buy it”, they take notice of that and see the shirt as important in some way, and they could misinterpret the message to be more important than it actually is. It is all the subtle cues from adults that kids accumulate that contribute to low self esteem, or thinking that good looks are the most important thing about being a girl. This is part of the big picture, so we need to be mindful of what kind of example we set for our kids.

23. by Tammy

On September 6, 2011 at 11:39 am

I’m a teacher and a mother. I’m nowhere near uptight or lacking in a sense of humor, but clothes like these are WRONG! Like it or not, your child is a billboard in society. If this is what you allow them to wear, sure…maybe she is smart and well-grounded enough to not let this message affect them, but not all children will be immune like your “superchild”. Other girls will be affected. Parents need to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY and accept that clothing like this isn’t just a joke. Fashion is a statement and what children wear will and DOES affect their sense of self. I work in an elementary school…I know what they’re faced with outside of the walls of their home. Just buy something else and drop the issue.

24. by anna

On September 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm

While i am not specifically upset over this shirt i do feel that this sort of clothing plays into a larger problem of the over sexualization of girls and it is happening right from infancy. I remember trying to find a bathing suit for my infant daughter and all i could find were very skimpy bikinis that if i wore would be considered very racy.I find that shopping for my daughter is very difficult because i dont want to send her out giving the wrong message about who she is.

I often see clothing with sayings on the bum like juicy or cutie. Shirts that say “i only look sweet and innocent” these things perpetuate the message that these girls are far more sexual than they are or should be.

As a result i have resorted to making my daughter’s clothing. Even though i do that my daughter is still subject to being victimized. At 6 years old she was sexually assulted by 10 year old boy at her school. I see 14 year old girls in my community who are getting pregnant and doing drugs.

With role models like brittany spears and miley cyrus and clothing that has implied sexual meanings or downplay the mind for the sake of beauty it is no wonder these things happen.

I have a degree in sociology and have looked at these issues quite extensively. It is really quite frustrating that while feminism has done a lot of good for women it is also feminism that has created this problem for women.

It is difficult to be a woman right now or a child growing into a woman. We are taught by various sources that we are supossed to be good women and to be a good woman we are supossed to be good homemakers, good mothers, have a successful career look and act like vixens to please our men. Be supermodel thin with zero imperfections. Strive for a relationship with a man who has lots of money and trade up as necessary. There is no real accountability anymore relationships seem disposable marraige no longer is a sacred thing in fact so called starter marraiges are quite trendy. What sort of message is all of this sending to our youth? Obviously not a very good one.

I for one am tired of seeing thong underwear in childrens clothing stores for children as young as three years old. Today there were grade four students standing outside the school with cell phones, low rise jeans with thongs showing wearing halter tops and way more jewellery than necessary. Now i live in a pretty conservative modest income neighbourhood and this is what i am seeing. It is difficult for me as a parent to keep my own daughter a child while she should be one. Morals and good values are important and for now i can kind of regulate how my daughter dresses but peer pressure will eventually rear its ugly head and it will be a battle to get my daughter to comply with appropriate attire.

It is not enough to just not buy these things because while i might not other people do and then the pressure is on for my daughter to fit in with the other girls. So i am left feeling like i have two horrible options, I can either stand my ground and refuse to let my daughter dress in things that over emphasize sexuality and acting like a bimbo and have her not fit in or i can give in and allow her to dress in clothing that is inappropriate and watch as the social experiment leads our young girls into a dark path of confusion and premature sexuality.

I dont see a lot of positive options and of course not every girl is going to end up with a teen pregnancy and spiral out of control but the numbers are certainly rising.

If we look back historically say 100-150 years ago there was a big emphasis on responsability, faith and loyalty. People got married in their early teens started families worked hard and barring any sort of extreme circumstances stayed married for many years.

My own great grandparents were married very young raised six children and were pretty self reliant with their farm. I attended their 75th wedding anniversary party. It was wonderful to see that kind of love and commitment. Something that just does not happen often these days.

Part of this is our economy for example in my parents adolesence a modest income was around $25000/year and housing in my city was around $125000 for a modest home. Now a modest income is around $35000/year and a modest home is $800000.

I am living in a rental unit as i cannot afford to buy in at those prices even with a two income household it is not possible. My rental home is appraised at 1.2 million and is a very old house with many problems This is the price way pay now. It makes it difficult to “grow up” and have a healthy relationship. Many people of my generation still live with their parents often with families of their own. I myself have experienced that stage of life as well.

Be it the economy or the media or the fashion industry or a combination of all these things women are facing a difficult dilemma. We are expected to live up to unrealistic expectations which is causing depression and other mental illness statistics to rise. More women than ever before have some form of an eating disorder and young girls are sexually confused and often act out in rather inappropriate ways. From dressing provocatively to sexting or worse.

I think we need to raise awareness of these issues and the new feminist movement should focus on these problems plagueing women of society.

There is a really good video that looks at a lot of these issues it is avaailable free through a google search called “killing us softly” it is well worth watching.

I have to say i wont be buying this shirt for my daughter or anything like it. Kudos to the store for removing it.

I am all for freedom of expression and all that but please remember that every decision a parent makes incuding in clothing choices can really have an impact on not only their child but all the peers of that child as well

25. by missmac

On September 6, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I can see both sides of the argument but I say if you don’t agree with it don’t buy it. So, we are teaching our girls they are all beautiful in every size/color/etc. and they should embrace their individual beauty, but the moment a girl ‘owns’ it we jump on them for being overly obsessed with their appearance? We don’t want them to take looks seriously but we can’t handle a little joke? No wonder our girls are confused.

26. by laura

On September 6, 2011 at 4:25 pm

it’s just a shirt…

27. by l_optimiste

On September 6, 2011 at 5:53 pm

pfft! what a fuss about something so silly! it’s a kids T-SHIRT!! get a life people! kids wear silly slogans all the time, and rarely read them – this should not be taken so seriously. It’s a joke!!
    Life’s short – concentrate on things that really matter.

28. by Kayla

On September 8, 2011 at 5:52 pm

oh my gosh it is just a shirt .. people disappoint me

29. by Walter

On September 9, 2011 at 8:57 am

Lighten up people – Another non-story about something that got blown out of proportion. Just like JC Penny’s, I’m sure the shirt manufacturer was also not advocating a girl to force her brother to do her homework… It’s just a t-shirt people! To say this “sparked outrage” means there are some bizarre, reactionary people in the world… makes me want to put on even worse t-shirts than that!

30. by Johnny D

On September 9, 2011 at 9:29 am

I agree with Tammy. Yes it’s only a shirt, and for most of you adults and for many kids, it just has a funny message, but for many girls, it simply sends the wrong message. Kids are a lot more impressionable than adults. Parents, they take their lead from you. On some level this will simply reinforce the message that pretty is more important than smart. I guess that’s not all bad. The world needs waitresses and checkout people too. No advanced degree required.

31. by crissy

On September 12, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Oh come on! Seriously! Put your big girl panties on and get OVER IT! These people have nothing better to do than to criticize every little thing in life. Quit being so damn dramatic, ridiculous, and uptight, and worry about more important things then a measly kids shirt. I agree with every parent that said its how you raise your kids. If your so worried about the shirt don’t buy it end of story.

32. by Adalia

On September 12, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I guess I’m a horrible parent because I wanted to buy my son a onesie with cartoon sperm on it that said “daddy’s little squirt”? Geez, people, go buy a sense of humor…

33. by Heidi

On September 13, 2011 at 1:43 am

Yes, it is just a tee shirt, and yes, it is meant to be funny (though it is not) but how does that make it OK? If the words on your child’s shirt mean nothing then would you buy them a tee shirt that said: “I’m ugly,” or “I’m stupid,” or how about something “cute” like “Slut in training?” No? Why not? If your argument is that the child knows that the message is meaningless what could the harm be? The messages we send our children both explicitly and implicitly matter. They really do matter and they really do make a difference in how our children perceive themselves and the world that they inhabit.

34. by Matt

On September 13, 2011 at 7:06 am

You people are sticks in the mud. Seriously. It’s freaking a cute and funny t-shirt. What I think happened here is the underlying – and very true – message of this shirt struck a raw nerve with ordinary-looking (and insecure) people: There are perks to being especially good looking. Get over it. Don’t like the shirt? Don’t buy it. But your hang-ups don’t give you license to trample on other peoples’ points of view. Being able to wear raunchy/stupid/offensive t-shirts is one of the best things about growing up in America, you losers.

35. by Maggie

On September 13, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I’m sorry but I fail to see anything “cute” or “funny” about this t-shirt. It is yet another message to girls that boys are smarter or they can get away with whatever they want if they are attractive. Unfortunately, a lot of people let their children wear things and don’t think about the message it sends (e.g., “spoiled brat”). Do you really want your daughter to think she is “too pretty to do her homework?” or that, worse, a boy needs to do it for her? I feel sorry for children when I see them wearing shirts with these types of messages because to me it says their parents aren’t making good decisions.

36. by Mike Lee

On September 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Real simple, ugly people hate it, pretty people like it. The people complaining are the ones who are the bigots. Face it, there are just as many smart pretty women as there are smart ugly women. Where the rub comes in is a pretty dumb woman has resources the dumb ugly woman does not. Its a shirt for God’s sake, stop making about some cause. We are being told to elect the next President of the United States because he “Looks” Presidential. He “Looks” young. Its all about looks but we dont hear any of you saying to the media, it isnt right, do we? If we did Ron Paul would be a shoe in.

37. by nicole

On September 16, 2011 at 9:59 am

I once saw a girl’s shirt for sale that said “Future Porn Star” on it. I didn’t think it was funny, but perhaps it was ironic.

That said, I really want to buy my daughter the one that Sheena should immediately copywrite and put into production – “I can’t do my homewerk today, I’m bizy eating warms”

38. by Vince

On September 20, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Toxic tobacco smoke KILLS 65,000 INNOCENT Americans every year and these idiots are concerned about words on a T-shirt! Unbelievable!

BAN ALL SMOKING EVERYWHERE AND BAN THE ILLEGAL TOBACCO DRUG, NOW! PROSECUTE THE TOBACCO PUSHERS, TOO!

TOBACCO IS TERRORISM! THOSE WORDS SHOULD BE ON A T-SHIRT!

39. by nyc personal injury trial lawyer

On September 27, 2011 at 2:06 am

Oh my gosh goodness! a significant article dude. Thanks However I’m experiencing situation with ur rss . Have no idea why Struggling to sign up to it. Will there be anyone getting similar rss problem? Anybody who’s alert to kindly respond. Thnkx

40. by Miaren Crowsdaughter

On October 9, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Actually, the person who complained gets fun t-shirts with girl-positive messages here: Pigtail Pals

41. by David in Michigan

On October 12, 2011 at 8:53 am

The JC Penny spokes person was outraged? and that got quoted? Did someone hack their site and add the shirt? infiltrate their buying dept?

This is why we’re such a mess. When the wrong doer can turn around and excoriate the air behind them as though they are part of the offended rather than the offender and the media doesn’t make the article about that and MOCK the idiocy mercilessly. What a cluster duck.

42. by sue

On October 12, 2011 at 10:46 am

When I see pictures of myself from back in the 1970′s it amazes me how the teen clothing styles for girls today emphasize showing as much skin as possible. Whatever happened to teaching our kids to cover themselves and not having to show skin in order to have some self-esteem. Girls today are sent the message that they have to look skanky in order for them to be considered worthwhile. The boys aren’t held to such ridiculous standards. Women have come too far to be held to this standard. Let’s start teaching our girls that they can dress in a conservative way and be a worthwhile and confident person without sacrificing their standards.

43. by S Griffins

On October 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Some folks need to get a life!!! There’s a lot more important things to be concerned about than some stupid t shirt.

44. by CNILE

On October 15, 2011 at 8:24 pm

How about “Maybe I’ll let you sniff it”?
    or-
    “Girls with butts like mine don’t talk to boys with faces like yours!”
    or-”future bun in the oven”
    You get the idea.

This is WARFARE, people, and part of it is breeding rights. These little girls AREN’T SO LITTLE. Go to any mall, or grocery store. It looks like a junior red light district.
    News flash, mommy-if she’s 12, she’s probably better in the sack than you are.
    The brainwashing of this generation has resulted in a truly bizzare, surreal world, that I personally cannot deal with, I go into Wallyworld and the first thing I see coming through the door is literally Hannah Montana in a miniskirt up to her coochie.
    And this is what your little miss is being force-fed as the norm. She’s probably learned to upskirt/beavershot her way to those good grades you think she’s earning.
    If you don’t like this, sorry, but it’s reality, and the norm. Why do you think the push is on for taxpayer-funded abortions?
    Don’t kid yourself, she puts out.

45. by Chippy55

On October 19, 2011 at 2:48 pm

So don’t buy the shirt. If there’s a TV show or radio show you don’t agree with, turn the channel. If there’s a store you don’t like, don’t shop there. Me? I’d rather be rich than ugly.

46. by Awtfell

On October 20, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Average is definitely becoming normal.

Buy/eat/drive/read/say only that you need to…not what you greed to.

47. by mike

On October 26, 2011 at 12:37 pm

What did the Spokes women say? “We support many ater school programs” – Umm, Well, maybe if the kids actually did work in school and tearchers actually Taught in school, there would be no need for AFTER SCHOOL….

48. by Mike

On October 26, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Q Awtfell – Does your logo also mean to mind your own business? You are a typical Left wing moron. You tell OTHERS how they should feel when it comes to the shirts – its all that wasy for you as yo ublow it off….Then your Motto TELLS others what they should Eat, Drive and say….How bout this one…Mind your OWN business of what people eat do and say, and not Twist the business of the message of the Shirt….This is the classic “prduct” of the left….TELL OTHERS This is HOW the LEFT works,,,..Clown

49. by James H

On October 27, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Can’t wait for Target to put out their “MY MOM IS SO DUMB SHE DOESN’T UNDERSTAND SARCASM” shirt….
    Get a life people….

50. by ChuckFromAl

On October 27, 2011 at 2:05 pm

US advertisers and the Hollywood have known for years that sex sells. They use sex to sell everything and the result is that young girls have been taught that they should use their bodies to get what they want from boys and men. When it works for them and most of the time it does, these beliefs are reinforced. I am not a religious fanatic who thinks sex is dirty either.

51. by Scrange

On October 28, 2011 at 10:13 pm

LOVE it, where can I buy one of these?!

52. by GinaB

On November 3, 2011 at 7:35 am

There are those who say this is just a T-shirt and get over it; however, it still sends messages — depending on who reads it and how it is interpreted. There are those who such as myself who are offended by it and would never buy it for my daughter; there are those who see it as being harmless humor – no matter what its final interpretation is. Personally, I do think that it sends the wrong message. Girls (and women) can be smart and beautiful, and beauty still remains in the eyes of the beholder despite what our society imposes on us. Likewise, boys are sent equally disturbing messages regarding being masculine and not expressing any feminine qualities.

@Mike Lee: I don’t think your take that ugly people hate the shirt and pretty people like it holds water. I don’t consider myself ugly (I won a statewide pageant a number of years ago), but even I see the shirt as being offensive.

53. by G. Little

On November 4, 2011 at 9:53 am

The fact that J.C.Penney reacted after the objection to the message on the tee shirt reveals the motive they had in the first place. To do something using questionable judgement and have a predictable response reveals a lack of marketing savvy at best and an amoral approach to business at worst!

54. by Tom M

On November 4, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Surely, this is not newsworthy…its a shirt for for cryin’ out loud. What is the big deal? The shirt is not just for pretty girls…JCP also sells the same shirt for ugly girls, albeit for a dollar more: theirs comes complete with a brown paper bag.

Get tougher skin.

55. by Rage Baby

On November 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I bought one for my extremely unattractive niece whose only brother was murdered by drug dealers. She thinks it’s hilarious.

56. by roberta77099

On November 6, 2011 at 10:53 am

Likewise, the brother should have one that says “My sister is so pretty that boys pay me to be their friend”. The new equivalent of being pretty for a girl is to be entrepreneurial for a boy.

57. by RandyRobby

On November 6, 2011 at 5:36 pm

First of all, this is just one symptom of a lowest common denominator pop culture we Americans have bought into lock, stock, and barrel. The message being sent to young girls is that rudeness and sarcasm are desirable traits for them to cultivate, in order to be popular. This message is sent to them daily from television 24 hours a day. Unfortunately, girls believe what they see on TV, even though it is almost complete fantasy. JC Penney is just another corporate pimp; they don’t give a damn about the “message” girls are getting, despite their corporate P.R. Bull**** – they just want to get as much money from them as possible. Just goes to show you what department stores have become – whores and pimps (Mr. J.C. Penney, by the way, would be spinning in his grave if he could see what has happened to his company).

58. by nolibbs

On November 8, 2011 at 1:20 pm

blah, blah, blah, blah…
    Doesn’t everyone know by now that we live in a world full of m0r0ns? Unfortunately, most of them are parents. Children trying to raise children. Sad, so sad for those children who never have a chance because of “parents” who see their kids like pets or some other novelty and just don’t have the skill to be a parent. Children have dozens of friends – they don’t need any more. They need strong, skilled parents who will prepare them for life.

59. by Randy

On November 9, 2011 at 8:14 am

Seriously… Don’t like the shirt, don’t buy it. If you’re concerned about “messages” to your little darlings, don’t let them watch TV.

60. by SLW

On November 9, 2011 at 11:14 am

I agree with the people who say, “if you don’t like the shirt, don’t buy it”. Good lord, we need to stop banning everything. Let people make their own decisions. Banning a child’s t-shirt? I really think there are better, more constructive things to spend our time on.

61. by Lankdaddy

On November 9, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Another example of overbearing, unsatisfied, sit at home and complain moms. Who has the time to get outraged about this? There are so many more important things to complain about or be proactive about. The shirt is ugly. Who cares!

62. by PD Weber

On November 11, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Right. No matter that virtually every sitcom, drama, movie, and ad portrays men and boys as abusive, obtuse, stupid, bullying, clueless, weak, or wimpy…our poor little girls and women are outraged by every single little thing (there are very few examples) they perceive as offensive…meaning they really are the wimpy, weak ones. Oh, and never mind that more than 99% of deaths in the military and law enforcement are men…where are all the bad-ass, tough and “brassy” women. Oh, and never mind that females continue to hide behind affirmative action and other set-aside schemes to make them “appear” (“image” is everything for our oh-so-bad women) tougher, smarter, more motivated…take your pick) than the boys and men. The 40-year assault on boyhood and manhood has demonized and humiliated three generations of men, all while the country GLADLY hands rifles and weapons to our sons and expects them to continue defending a culture (esp. the “girls” culture) that does not value their efforts and, worse, paints them in contrived tones of negativity. Really, guys should especially ignore and NOT get involved with the white American women, who have hijacked affirmative action from blacks, and WHO – if it was well-known – tend to hire their OWN KIND…check out Hollywood or any white-female-run business. Self-absorbed, malignant narcissists…irresponsible, contrived “achievers”. And let’s not even get into the rip-off of men’s sports in colleges, women in the military who are socially-promoted, but never have to fact front-line combat. One day, if America falls, and historians pick over the ruins, the contrived elevation of women to money and status – but no responsibility for the HARD stuff – will be cited as part of the downfall. Bank on it.

63. by Weber

On November 11, 2011 at 2:04 pm

To GinaB: “Girls (and women) can be smart and beautiful, and beauty still remains in the eyes of the beholder despite what our society imposes on us. Likewise, boys are sent equally disturbing messages regarding being masculine and not expressing any feminine qualities”.
    Boy, are you clueless – the “disturbing messages” being sent to our sons are totally negative, emasculating, and patently false feminist propaganda about boys and men being weak, stupid, unmotivated,etc. Just check out TV sitcoms…even the crime shows NEVER show a weak, unassertive, clumsy, or unprofessional woman…nearly every man is shown to be patently flawed or worse. 40 years of male-bashing has emboldened feminists and Hollywood to make us look, frankly, like losers…oh, until you need a war won (who cares, the bodies are of men), a scientific or medical breakthrough, technical advancements, or bully put in his/her place. You are a hypocrite just saying the “disturbing” images for boys involve excessive manhood-building, as those images are EMASCULATING…anything BUT what you claim. But, then, one can tell you are one of those “comfortable” women who either don’t have to work or benefited from affirmative action for jobs and promotions. Bend over, grab yourself by the ears, and pull your head out of your posterior,”Gina”.

64. by Weber

On November 11, 2011 at 2:13 pm

To Alyssa Neavitt:
    “We need to do everything in our power to boost our daughters self image! In this time of young children with bulimia, anarexia, on anti-depressants, and teen suicides on the rise….can we really afford not to.” Say what? EVERYTHING IS being done to artificially boost the poor little dears’ self-esteem, while boys and men continue to do it the hard way, with personal effort DESPITE contrived PE-building everywhere in society constructed to disadvantage men and promote women…affirmative action, special legal/corporate/promotion set-asides, ripping off men’s sports with Title IX, and female social promotions in law enforcement and the military (imagine, any guy can be told to fill a foxhole at any time regardless of rank or position, but women given rank via social promotion can order some of the men around). What a joke – though, as we now all see, society and the economy are not just suffering due to White House incompetence, it is suffering by socially promoting inferior personnel due to color and gender. It’s all becoming apparent, even to the dimmest bulbs among us. Good luck on that bulimia, while we parents of boys worry about them dying in some far-off shithole.

65. by dalethorn

On November 11, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I love the shirt, just like I would *love* the pretty girl whose homework I’m doing. The rest of you are so tight-***ed I doubt you ever have any fun – watching Court TV all day and drinking cheap wine. Disgusting.

66. by Błonica

On November 14, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Hey There. I uncovered your blog using msn. This is a very well written write-up. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to see more of your handy information. Thanks for your write-up.

67. by steve

On November 16, 2011 at 6:08 am

you people dont have anything to whine about….do you??

68. by Rob

On November 17, 2011 at 7:56 am

Wouldn’t you just once like to see a company “spokesperson” come out and say “You have got to be kidding. If you don’t like us for stocking this shirt then shop somewhere else?” I know that company would earn my loyalty.

69. by THERUNNINGNURSE

On November 17, 2011 at 8:41 am

GET A SENSE OF HUMOR !!! My son is a straight A student and has a shirts that says “HOMEWORK is not in my vocabulary”. He’s 11 and KNOWS it is a joke.

All of you who are so bent out of shape over this need to get a life or look at what is going on in the world around you. SHEEESSHH !!!

70. by Marie

On November 17, 2011 at 10:40 am

Oh get a sense of humor already. Self esteem and pride are taught at home, not on T-shirts. it’s a joke, laugh a little.

71. by Marie

On November 17, 2011 at 10:47 am

@ THERUNNINGNURSE you could not have said it better. outraged…oh please, how dramatic. The “outraged” How can you be a good parent if you can’t laugh and be light hearted? These are the same kind of people that protested the cookie monster. Finger pointers. I feel sorry for the kids that are being raised by the “outraged” what a dictatorship they must live under with parents like that….SHHEEESH is right!

72. by Dave C.

On November 18, 2011 at 11:29 am

Funny? Not at ALL. It really is an example of just how sad and awful we as a society have chosen to treat our girls/women. We just don’t get it! This is very harmful. Then we wonder why men think that the only value a female has is her LOOKS!! You can’t have it both ways people. We also wonder why then females have no self esteem to stand up to men who abuse them. We are giving the men an excuse–that she is worthless. People need to VALUE women and girls. Get off this kick NOW!!

73. by Bubba Baxter

On November 20, 2011 at 8:07 am

Oh MY….
    Me thinks weve taken the new age of Politilcally correct to the next level. How many of you out there really think that kids take anything on a silly t shirt serioulsy. You folks need to get a life, get off the internet, quit playing wow and go outside with your kids or friends and have a day of sun and fun. You are rediculous for even thinking that a t shirt is going to impact someones (other than your own pathetic) lives in any way. Get a grip folks.. get out of the tents and get back to work

74. by Bubba Baxter

On November 20, 2011 at 8:10 am

Incidently I purposely mispelled words in my post to see how many of you pathetics would actually comment of scold me for spelling mistakes.. get a life guys, im serious, you really need to get off the internet and do something other than making judgements on others.

75. by dhmaadi

On November 20, 2011 at 8:26 am

OVER SENSITIVE SOCIETY WE HAVE THESE DAYS! GO COMPLAIN ABOUT SOMETHING WORTH IT I.E. TAXES, FUEL PRICES ETC. I DO NOT THINK COMPLAINING ABOUT A TSHIRT WILL SOLVE OUR EVERYDAY PROBLEMS.

76. by Dave C is a bozo

On November 21, 2011 at 8:26 am

Bubba and dhamaadi are absolutely right. What a loser society we have become. It’s unfortunate that there are so many people without a life who need to create fake ‘outrage’ over non-issues just to get a reaction. And JC Penney’s spokesperson seems cut from the same cloth. It’s a t-shirt, people. It’s cute, and while not really funny it is amusing. If you’re going to be ‘outraged’ over this, you morons, then stop calling your daughters/nieces/grandchildren ‘princess’. Lord knows how offensive THAT moniker is, and the harm it can do…..(good grief)….

77. by monica faith

On November 21, 2011 at 9:52 am

The shirt isn’t saying she’s pretty therefore she’s dumb …. it’s saying guys are going to do things for her for the rest of her life because she’s pretty … which (by the way) is a WORSE message to be teaching (because it’s NOT true that pretty equals dumb, but it is UNFORTUNATELY true that many girls are taught to manipulate and use their looks to get what they want instead of being taught that they can obtain what they want without being a user).

78. by Ann

On November 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Yeah, it’s just s shirt, but it’s in pretty poor taste. If it’s supposed to be a joke, I guess I just don’t find it to be a very funny one.

79. by Mary

On November 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm

For those of you saying you would let your daughter wear the shirt because “it’s just a shirt”— it’s good you have such a great sense of humor. It’ll help you cope when the rest of the world views your daughter as “just a brat.” And, worse, when she actually turns into one.

80. by Solly Atwell

On November 24, 2011 at 3:45 am

folks must have pretty good uneventful lives if all they have to worry about is a slogan on a T-shirt.

The countries on it’s knees, you should have more important things on your mind than a light hearted comment printed on cotton.
    don’t like it? then don’t buy it, but get off your high horses.

81. by Red Neck

On November 25, 2011 at 9:32 am

If your kid is influeneced in any way by this T-shirt other than to chuckle…you better change the way you raise your kids. If you don’t have kids and are outraged at this whimsical creeation…get a life!

82. by Grumpster

On December 5, 2011 at 8:01 am

If you don’t want to spread the message, don’t buy the shirt. Plain and simple idea, isn’t it? Sad fact is that the brother probably wouldn’t get it right either given the sad sack state of education today.

83. by college consulting

On December 8, 2011 at 8:08 am

Great Post. Please visit our website for college consulting , Freshman and Transfer College Admissions Consulting | San Francisco Bay Area

84. by college consulting

On December 8, 2011 at 8:09 am

Great Post. Please visit our website for Freshman and Transfer College Admissions Consulting | San Francisco Bay Area

http://www.c3admissionadvising.com .

85. by MrIndia

On December 9, 2011 at 10:19 am

I would let my 13 year old wear it. At that age she understand that this is just a funny cheeky message and she still has to do her homework and her chores.

I can understand the concern about how the message may impact younger girls but again i don’t think that is possible either unless there is a history of parents not doing their job and letting the girls grow up with a sense of entitlement and no responsibility.

86. by wheel

On December 9, 2011 at 12:48 pm

If you’re kids are too stupid to know that the shirt is a joke, then maybe the way you are raising them is the problem instead of the shirt itself. Maybe they should just make a shirt that says “SHIRT” on the front of it?

87. by Riderguy

On December 10, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I don’t care for the shirt and my daughter won’t be wearing it — BUT — so what!
    Does that somehow mean I should try to prevent Sears from marketing it? If enough people like it and buy it they made a good decision to make it. If no one (or very few) like it then it won’t sell and they will have made a bad decision.
    It’s all very simple folks.

88. by Rob

On December 12, 2011 at 10:40 am

just think – get your girls one of these shirts and she could grow up to be just like Lindsay Lohan!

Oops, my bad…

89. by personal statement

On December 13, 2011 at 4:41 am

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the good work.
    Expert Proofreading at Reasonable Prices

90. by Me

On December 14, 2011 at 8:12 am

Good thing I got my hands on several of these t-shirts for my daughters and nieces before the liberal thought police got JCP to ban them. What a bunch of up-tight sour pusses!

91. by just my 10 cents

On December 15, 2011 at 10:56 am

What happend to freedom of speech? Now, I think the shirt is tacky and I would not let my daughter wear it. However, everyone has to make their own choices and the only reason JC should stop selling anything is because people are not buying it, Not because they got yelled at.

92. by m.e.

On December 17, 2011 at 5:24 pm

personally I find it funny though I understand the contrersery (sorry, I can’t spell well). Women for years have been told to supress their intelligence. However, men haven’t been held down to the same standard. Which is sad itself, really.

I think girls should be ‘allowed’ to be as intelliegent as boys. No all girls have brothers to do their homework. (im kidding).

93. by Diagoras

On December 19, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Any parent who would let their daughter wear this shirt is the same type of parent who would abuse the English language by using too many exclamation points. I’m looking at you, Wendy Cox.

94. by Diagoras

On December 19, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Also, the spam message from Expert Proofreading at Reasonable Prices contains multiple errors. I love irony!

95. by crystal

On December 20, 2011 at 10:53 am

I bought my daughter a shirt that says, “Brother for Sale.” Would we sell her brother? No. Does she know this? Yes. I think people take things too far. The shirt is just a shirt and if you are teaching your child the proper morals and attitudes then it is what it is. Just a shirt. People have to find things to gripe about. Sheesh. If I don’t like certain clothing for my child. I have a simple answer. Do not buy it!

96. by alaina

On December 22, 2011 at 8:29 am

Everybody who thinks this shirt is offensive is dumb….. oh im sorry is that not politically corect oh well. My 4 year old daughter has this shirt and she doesnt think anything of it. Come on guys its an effing shirt i never post comments but after i saw this it outraged me. Do bloggers have nothing better to do than go to every department store and find a shirt that says something “offensive” really? maybe yall should do something else something important with yalls life !!!!! Now im gonna go back to my REAL job and do some REAL work yall should do the same

97. by Melissa... College Educated

On December 22, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Me personally, i would rather buy my daughter a shirt that says I can speak 3 languages…. Which is a fact and she’s only 14 months old. This is the difference between ppl growing up to make a difference and those who will accept to be average.

98. by Laurie Anderson

On December 24, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Take a freakin heart pill folks. There are bigger fish to fry.

99. by Jasonn

On December 26, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Y’all have no sense of humor. Folks are so busy being “outraged” these days that they’re missing a whole lot of living.

100. by NY Mom

On December 30, 2011 at 12:06 pm

God i hate feminists

101. by funny t shirts uk

On December 31, 2011 at 10:15 am

Definitely consider that that you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be at the web the easiest thing to understand of. I say to you, I certainly get irked whilst people consider worries that they just don’t realize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest as neatly as defined out the entire thing with no need side effect , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thank you

102. by Narniagirl

On January 1, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I think Jezebel.com needs to worry more about the abortions they promote that as a way to reduce the amount of girls on the planet! Our liberal girlfriends are so worried about the “image” a shirt phrase (that is supposed to be a joke) portrays of girls, but they are very, very willing to teach our young girls to be sexually active (which teaches our girls that their value is based on expressing their “sexual freedom”) but the minute these young girls are pregnant, they are more than happy to release them from it by killing their child (for a fee of course) What message are we giving our teen girls when wearing a “homework” t-shirt is a bigger concern that our child being sexually active and pregnant? Even more concerning is the damage we do to their view of motherhood when we tell them to be “sexually active” now and Kill the contents of their womb (ie the developing baby) and then we leave them with the pain of knowing the price they paid for being sexually active is killing the child inside of them…

Ladies and parents, let’s teach our kids CORRECT VALUES. Girls, you are more than intelligent, you are smart enough to say NO to sex, you are smart enough to know that sex has consequences and that abortion is wrong. Don’t listen to the liberal “Jezebel” women and their website. Wearing an “offensive” t-shirt is the least of your problems. Tell the liberal women of the NOW generation that you don’t have to be sexually active to have value. You CAN say “no to casual sex” and still be a beautiful, intelligent girl. Guys respect a girl who values herself enough to say no. And..do your own homework..after all, you are smarter than you think.

103. by Peter

On January 10, 2012 at 8:17 am

Excellent piece of artwork that shirt, very fine. Good humor too.

104. by marc

On January 28, 2012 at 7:59 am

all you folks who are upset with this t-shirt should actually be a little relieved – it could be worse! At least this message only hurts SOME of the young girls out there…the pretty ones. If they read this dangerous message, then they might start to think that they simply can’t do their homework anymore! Perish the thought!!!Luckily the ugly girls will read this and breathe a sigh of relief, knowing that they still have the ability to dig in and tackle those math problems. Thank God my daughter looks like me! (those of you who take this message seriously are the same ones who believe this shirt is actually an issue in today’s world…good luck)

105. by james b.

On February 1, 2012 at 7:22 am

Rubbish. Carry on girls.

106. by Patrica

On February 4, 2012 at 11:39 am

This is nothing! I wonder what type of sick pro lesbian phrases will be on blouses for little girls with Ellen as J.C. Penny’s new spokesperson.

107. by Jose Villanueva

On February 14, 2012 at 6:10 am

Some people have the tendency to forget that this is America where everybody is entitled to their opinions. This T shirt is just one of many thousands of T shirts with funny messages.If you don’t like it, then DON’T buy it…It’s as simple as that.I have 3 girls and they can wear any kind of T shirts.

108. by jinxed13

On February 14, 2012 at 9:20 am

For too many people in this country, “being outraged” is their primary state of being. I’m sick of those who are “outraged” by something demanding that their outrage be addressed by the removal from circulation of whatever is causing their outrage. Personally, I expect that whenever I leave my house, I may see, hear, or smell something that I don’t like. If I can’t deal with a world that doesn’t do everything my way, then I probably should stay in the house with my shades tightly closed on the windows, with no TV or radio on, and only allow those who don’t have any thoughts, actions, or speech that offends me into my narrow, boring, little life. If you’re offended by something, then it’s your responsibility and right to remove yourself from whatever it is that’s offending you. It shouldn’t be your right or responsibility to protect me and the rest of society from what offends you, and maybe the rest of us are offended by your constantly being offended and “outraged” and demanding that your thoughts and feelings of outrage take priority over our rights.

What is written on a t-shirt, on a sign, in a book or article, or graffitied on a wall is “in your face” so to speak and should be used to engage your kids in discussions about what the message is trying to tell them and why you agree or don’t agree with the message. The message that’s being sent in written words is obvious and the impact on children can be negated with explanation and discussion.

Where is the outrage over the much more subtle messages being sent to our children through movies, television, and the medias? Hollywood, which has been the darling of liberals for its liberal leanings, has gotten behind nearly every social movement — womens’ rights, gay rights, etc. They tout themselves as valuing people for their diversity. Since they so respect and value women, why is it that the young beautiful actresses are getting breast augmentations and other forms of cosmetic surgery in order to get parts in movies, TV, and other areas of the entertainment industry? Why is it that older actresses are getting frequent cosmetic surgeries in order to be valued, accepted, and employable in movies, TV, and other entertainment venues? When do you ever see a flat-chested woman in a sex scene or see her frontally or nude? No, we all get treated to full frontal nudity from a young woman with large, enhanced breasts, and a perfect surgically created body. When do we see older women or fat women in sex scenes or nude scenes? When do we see men in scenes calling for full frontal nudity on their part? Fat men, old men, unattractive men are employable as actors, the same is not true for women. The entertainment and media industries tout celebrities like Angelie Jolie and Brad Pitt for the number of children they have adopted and the number of kids Angelie has given birth to without adhering to that old fashioned concept of marriage. Our kids are watching the Kardashians “reality show” where they are treated to discussions and visuals of such educational topics as what thong panties to pack for a first-time sleepover with a new boyfriend, getting a photo shoot where one of the girls poses nude, or all of the Kardashian women having a group bikini wax. How about Kendra and her dilemma about whether she should pose for Playboy after having her baby, her wanting to have her implants replaced after having the baby (and before posing for Playboy) because her previously augmented breasts aren’t as perky as they were before pregnancy, and questioning whether she’ll have another baby because of what pregnancy permanently does to a woman’s body? There are far too many examples of how the medias and entertainment industry are influencing our kids’ concepts of beauty, value to society, sexual behavior, and how changes in appearance due to age or life event (such as pregnancy) isn’t attractive and should be cosmetically corrected in order to maintain self esteem and desirability. In “Playboy” and other men’s magazines, the women are not only cosmetically enhanced, but air brushed and photographed in studio lighting that makes their skin and bodies look perfect. When have you ever seen a woman with a blemish nude in a men’s magazine or a movie? Our boys are being programmed to be attracted to females with a certain body type and our girls are being programmed to want to have a certain body type even if they have to have surgery to attain it. Aren’t these messages more dangerous than the messages on t-shirts?

109. by justin

On February 14, 2012 at 11:05 am

They use to say, “How you dress says a lot about who you are”. I think most people still make first impression judgments about people based on how they dress (poor, wealthy, clean, dirty, white collar, blue collar, redneck, sophisticated, hip hop, smart, dumb, popular, not popular and many others). I would say that the mothers who do buy these t-shirts for their daughters place a high priority on their daughters looks without any thought for how it might affect the feelings of girls in their class at school that are not pretty. I have two beautiful granddaughters, and two good looking adult children. We have always taught them that real beauty is in your heart. Kids can be cruel. As a teacher I see it every day. I’m sure a mother with a young girl that is not one of the pretty people would not buy this shirt for her daughter. If she did the kids would make fun of her for wearing it. Freedom of speech and thought is a wonderful thing, but so is thoughtfulness. Maybe the people that don’t like the shirt are being thoughtful of others and maybe the people that don’t see anything wrong with the shirt should be more thoughtful of others. I see kids every day whose parents make sure they have the latest most expensive cloths and this is fine as long as they are teaching their children that their real value is what is in their heart. Freedom of speech and thought are a wonderful thing but so is thoughtfulness.

110. by Wow

On February 19, 2012 at 11:42 am

Does anyone really care about this? The parents with ugly kids maybe…

111. by Chicago Rob

On February 21, 2012 at 9:26 am

To the dumb broad who thought it was ‘halarious’ and bought the shirt for her goddaughter, apparently you didnt have to do your homework either.
    And in sizes up to 16?? Thats not pretty unless shes dating SHAMU!
    May as well just start marketing shirts that say ‘I’m a whore’ on them, I think THOSE would be hilarious!

112. by j d

On February 21, 2012 at 10:35 am

now would also be a good time to teach your kids about humor and being uptight.

really? Your kids’ fascination with the Kardashians is more of a danger than this shirt

113. by daniel

On February 22, 2012 at 10:42 am

all this over a shirt? ego smitten parents with too much time on their hands. obviously their kids aren’t serving in iraq. get a life.

114. by Tish

On February 28, 2012 at 9:58 am

I personally like the shirt. I feel that if you encourage your child then nothing else will matter. What about the shirts that say, “If you think I am hot, you should see my mom.” I disapprove of that on a toddler more than this shirt. I am also cracking up laughing at JCPenny for pulling the shirt. Worse case, no one buys it but I would have.

115. by Kim

On May 15, 2012 at 11:28 am

Get over it…Don’t like it? Don’t buy it! It seems people are too quick to make EVERYTHING an issue. It’s getting ridiculous.

116. by Vincent

On May 17, 2012 at 10:05 am

Generally speaking it’s always unattractive (fat, ugly, etc) that have a problem with this.

117. by lennie

On May 17, 2012 at 11:10 am

NEVER WOULD I ALLOW MY DAUGHTER TO WEAR THAT shirt..NEVER, she may be very pretty but she’s also smart.She would never think of wearing it..

AS DAWN

118. by Lennie

On May 17, 2012 at 11:14 am

NEITHER MY VERY PRETTY DAUGHTER NOR MY SELF WOULD EVEN THINK OF HER WEARING THAT SHIRT..
    As Dawn wrote, “Beaty fades,DUMB IS FOREVER”

Judge Judy

119. by Lennie W.

On May 17, 2012 at 11:16 am

KIM and VINCENT~~~~sound like they needed 3 or 4 each..

120. by Darlene

On May 18, 2012 at 9:46 am

Get a grip!!!!!! How about the one that says “Angry” with the birds? How about the “will trade brother for cupcake” shirt? When do we stop being activists about stupid and pointless things and start caring for our kids? When do we stop taking the time to run an online campaign and take the time to find out what they did in school, or to help them with homework? When, in short, do we stop pointing the finger at other people and start taking some personal responsibility and interest in our own lives?

People…I urge you to stop being boneheaded about dumb things and start raising your kids and getting involved with your family. A game of catch this weekend will do much more for your children then petitioning an online store.

121. by maty

On May 18, 2012 at 10:41 am

Really, This is a child’s shirt for pete sake! We were all in school in one point in our lives and obiviously everyone had homework… Grow up people! Stop bitching about a silly slogan on a childs shirt and start worrying about what’s important in life!

122. by Noah Vaile

On May 18, 2012 at 10:52 am

This T-shirt isn’t any worse than the propagandist public schools the “pretty girls” are mis-educated/propagandized in. It doesn’t matter how “smart” you are. If you’re poorly educated you’ll appear stupid.
    Why be humiliated by multi-cultural homework-propaganda assignments when you’re ‘pretty.’

123. by Bob N

On May 21, 2012 at 10:22 am

Lighten Up Francis

124. by jking

On May 21, 2012 at 11:24 am

Women have too much time on their hands to complain about stuff like this. Maybe they should just get back in the kitchen and make their husband/boyfriend/girlfriend/significant other, a sandwich… Give me a break

125. by Cthulhu

On May 27, 2012 at 2:48 pm

It’s sad that people’s lives are so meaningless that they feel it fulfilling to make a fuss over something written on a shirt.

126. by sharkb8

On August 7, 2012 at 1:05 am

Really people!! Get a sense of humor! The shirt doesn’t say ” I’m not smart enough to do my homework!” Just maybe being pretty is keeping me TOO BUSY to do homework!

127. by Brent

On August 7, 2012 at 1:48 am

Realllllyyy….? I think ugly people hate this shirt….real simple. Made me lol.

128. by Joe

On August 8, 2012 at 6:52 am

It is a tshirt for crying out loud!

129. by mary

On August 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm

its a cute shirt, I’d buy it for my daughter. I dont see what all the fuss was about. I agree with most of the comments on here particularly the ones saying only ugly people hate this shirt, ugly people hate everything lol. seriously though, this feminist garbage has to stop now we got our right to vote and work and such now lets give it a rest its getting westboro baptist scary now. dont like the shirt, dont buy it, simple. lets not start an online fem war over it.

130. by Dan

On August 10, 2012 at 4:25 am

You uptight prudes need to get a life. It’s a funny saying on a t-shirt. I hope people who are offended by this or think it will have a negative affect on young girls don’t have kids because you must be a piss-poor excuse for a parent. Really? As a parent you can’t overcome t-shirt comedy? You have raised your child to be so dense that they actually think it’s true? We have become a nation of pansy-ass coddlers.

131. by Personal Injury Attorney NYC

On August 18, 2012 at 3:21 am

Its such as you read my thoughts! You appear to grasp so much approximately this, such as you wrote the ebook in it or something. I believe that you just can do with a few p.c. to drive the message house a little bit, however other than that, this is excellent blog. An excellent read. I will definitely be back.

132. by noel jones

On August 23, 2012 at 8:04 am

We have become a nation of pathetic whiners. By this standard, shall we trash the babies bib that says, “daddy’s girl” also?

When oversensitivity is masked as courage, courage shall find no home in the puny hearts of such men.

133. by AMG

On August 24, 2012 at 3:05 am

Most people would probably not even known the shirt existed if not for the media attention. Does anyone even shop at JC Penny’s anymore? Ever since they unleashed their new sales plan that store is nit worth my time.
    As far as the shirt, it’s just a shirt. If a child believes the message than parents need to step up and do a better job raising their children!

134. by Tom Collins

On August 31, 2012 at 6:25 am

Perfect! The ideal shirt for the future stripper!