Study: Working, Stay-at-Home Moms Equally Stressed

frazzled-momA new study by ForbesWoman and TheBump.com has found that mothers who work outside the home feel significantly stressed and overwhelmed…but so do women who stay at home with their children.  The Today show reported on the study, which surveyed 1,200 women:

From rushing to the train, slammed by deadlines to racing through the house, slathered in spit-up, moms can’t check out at 5 p.m. Stay-at-home and work-outside-the-home moms alike are still on the clock when hubby removes his tie and drops his briefcase at the door. According to the survey, 92% of working moms and 89% of stay-at-home moms feel overwhelmed by work, home and parenting duties. A full 84% of stay-at-home moms don’t get a break when their partner returns from work, and 50% say they never get a break from parenting. (But 96% say their partner manages to snag time-outs.)

Both groups (70% of working moms and 68% of stay-at-home moms) feel resentment due to the unbalanced responsibilities and a third of all moms say they feel their partner could step it up on the domestic front.

Almost 40 percent of both working and stay-at-home mothers said they felt like “married single moms,” even though they are raising their baby together with a partner, TheBump.com reported.

Do these findings surprise you?

(image via: http://thesinglecell.wordpress.com/)

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by Catherine

On July 12, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Sounds like the real issue is that too many women are choosing poor partners. This isn’t a parenting issue, but a relationship issue. Parenting is lots of work but if you have good support it can be lots of fun too. Women everywhere: be careful who you have kids with!

2. by Stacey

On July 12, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I would like to know where work-from-home moms fall on the stress spectrum.

3. by Lisa

On July 12, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I am a work from home mom and it is extremely stressful. A toddler is hard enough, but a toddler that wants to slap the keyboard or tries climb on top of the desk to get my attention is super hard. Its an art to be able to keep track of what you’re doing, accomplish necessary work, and pay attention to the kid. (without the TV babysitter). I feel somewhat less irritated knowing that so many other husbands need to step it us as mine does too. a lot. seriously.

4. by Maria Gonzalez-Prescod

On July 12, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Yes, totally agreed. When I was working and my child was in daycare. I use to cry and worry about him being taken care of the right way. I was overwhelmed coming home in the evening to have dinner and make sure he bathed and put to sleep, and squeeze enough alone time with him.

Now as a stay at home mom with 2 kids, its so hard to keep them entertained all day long and make sure the house is still cleaned and dinner is cooked when hubby gets home. I usually clean in the morning and the house is chaotic by the afternoon. Just going to playdates, playgrounds, and/or activities during the day is a full time job.

As a stay home mom sometimes I wish I was working, but dont trade in the time with my kids.

5. by Elizabeth

On July 13, 2011 at 9:15 am

I completely agree with Catherine. It’s definitely a relationship thing. My husband and I were just talking about this two nights ago. When dh gets home from work, I make sure to give him some down time. Then about a half an hour later, i tell dh I’m taking a break and go to another room, shut the door, and have some me time. And he makes sure to occupy dd. It may be different when there is more than one child to watch though.

6. by Holly

On July 13, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I’m a nanny for a single dad with four kids, guess you could say I just sort of fell into the job, it requires me to do all the same things as a mom would do sense she really is tin the picture. A 12 year old 8 year old and twin boys who are4 anddont get me wrong, I love the kids and my job… But sometimes it brings more stress then any of my previous jobs… I have a whole new respect for parents, especially stay at home moms, or dads.

7. by Beverley Smith

On July 16, 2011 at 8:10 am

THis is great research and useful to show where the real problems lie. It is not a question of getting women more pay or more careers outside the home since that does not reduce stress. It is about valuing the role at home, for however long a person does it and whoever does it. It is about getting government to recognize that taking care of children is not a hobby, not laziness, not self-indulgent, but actual work. It is about redefining work so we stop insulting the time with kids as outside the labor force, unproductive or ‘not working’. Once we redefine it, we can ensure tax plans value this work, that benefits go to it as to other work, that ‘working mother’ includes mothers at home and that nobody has to feel underfunded or under thanked. In Australia and Singapore there are birth bonuses and funds flow for every child. Money won’t solve all timing challenges but it does enable parents to get good field trips with the kids, enrol in some music and art classes for them, join museums and science centres, or fund more sitters and date nights. We can only get more balanced lives if we start with respect and funding for the work of caregiving.

8. [...] if (titleincell == 'yes') {document.getElementById('splittitletext').style.display = '';} } Study: Working, Stay-at-Home Moms Equally StressedStudy: Working, Stay-at-Home Moms Equally [...]

9. [...] Study: Working, Stay-at-Home Moms Equally Stressed (by Holly Lebowitz Rossi, Parents News Now, July 12, 2011) [...]

10. by Empower Network

On August 19, 2012 at 5:11 am

Easies Way To Make Money!

11. by Harris

On August 28, 2012 at 4:07 am

I haven’t seen this much “buzz” about a new product in Internet marketing for a
    while…!