Casey Anthony Found Not Guilty of Murdering 2-Year-Old Daughter Caylee

Casey AnthonyThe high-profile case in which a 25-year-old Florida mother was accused of murdering her 2-year-old daughter ended with an acquittal Tuesday, after 7 weeks of speculation and television coverage.

As Reuters reports:

A Florida jury on Tuesday found Casey Anthony not guilty of murder in the June 16, 2008 death of her 2-year-old daughter Caylee, in a case that riveted millions since Caylee was first reported missing that year.

She was found guilty of four counts of providing false information to a law enforcement officer.

The defense had argued that Caylee died in an accidental drowning.

The prosecution said she smothered her daughter and asked for a first degree murder verdict that could have brought the death penalty for the 25-year-old.

Jurors deliberated nearly 11 hours over two days.

The jury also found Anthony not guilty of aggravated child abuse or aggravated manslaughter of a child.

The Associated Press added:

After the verdict was read, Casey Anthony hugged her attorney Jose Baez and later mouthed the words “thank you” to him.

He added: “This case has brought on new challenges of all of us. Challenges in the criminal justice system, challenges in the media, and I think we should all take this as an opportunity to learn and to realize that you cannot convict someone until they’ve had their day in court.”

Prosecutors sat solemnly in their seats, looking stunned. Prosecutor Jeff Ashton shook his head slightly from side to side in apparent disbelief. Across the room, Anthony’s father wiped tears from his eyes. Without speaking to Casey, he and his wife left the courtroom escorted by police as the judge thanked the jury.

“While we’re happy for Casey, there are no winners in this case,” Baez said at a news conference afterward. “Caylee has passed on far, far too soon. And what my driving force has been for the last three years has been always to make sure that there has been justice for Caylee and Casey, because Casey did not murder Caylee. It’s that simple.”

(image via: http://www.reuters.com/)

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by Elizabeth

On July 5, 2011 at 3:31 pm

disgusting

2. by kimberly

On July 5, 2011 at 3:37 pm

This is terrible I can not believe they have convicted people on less evidence Blacks and Hispanics in particullar. This is just another showing of in justice and slaps in the face

3. by Annie

On July 5, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Disgustingly ridiculous.The members of the jury should be ashamed of themselves.Any mother who caould part for a month while their child was “missing” is guilty, of neglectif nothing else.WAKE UP AMERICA OUR JUDICIAL SYSTEM IS BROKEN and NEEDS TO BE FIXED !!!

4. by Dee Dee

On July 5, 2011 at 3:48 pm

This verdict is absolutely unbelievable! I have a 25 year old daughter, not only did we teach her to report anyone that touched her inappropreately, she was taught this in school as well. Casey can scream her father abused her all she wants and maybe he did abuse her and maybe he didn’t. But, she is a 25 year old woman that should know right from wrong. Why did she wait until her life is on the line to report it! I want to understand HOW you would NOT report a child missing for 31 days and HOW do you JUSTIFY the party life KNOWING your child is rotting in a shallow grave! This whole family should be on trial! My heart is so sad for this poor baby; Caylee! RIP sweet baby.

5. by jessica

On July 5, 2011 at 3:52 pm

That is sickening, she was found guilty of providing false information to police but if she didnt do anything why would she give false info ???? She is guilty and it is so sad that baby will never have the chance to grow to live all because her mom wanted to be a party girl…. Congratulations Casey you can go a party and I hope the face of your little girl and the memories of what you’ve done will haunt you forever you deserve to be fried….

6. by Ann

On July 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I am the mother of two beautiful children. I have an 8 year old girl and a 2 year old son. I cried when I heard what this mother did to her baby girl. You want to party and have fun then get your parents who clearly loved this little girl to watch her or take her permanently. The terror this child went thru…breaks my heart. As a mother I would jump in front of a bus to save my child. This is a sad day for justice for this little girl. I pray she is in peace now.

7. by jacquie baldwin

On July 5, 2011 at 4:05 pm

@ jessica i agree with every word you have said,her own lawyer admitted that she drowned…so who is responsible ??? and why hide the fact for 31 days??the jurors must be half wits for gods sakes!!! i cant wait to hear what they have to say…if they are not too ashamed to let anyone know who they are.

8. by desirae

On July 5, 2011 at 4:08 pm

i totally agree with with the previous responces. i remember sittin on the edge of my seat when they began to read the verdict and knowing that she was going to get some kind of consequence. i’m just taken a back and i’m becoming more disturbed with with our judicial system. so sadened…………….

9. by Nohemi

On July 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I am a 17 year old mother to a beautiful 3 month old baby girl! I gave up my young life of party and friends to love and care for my child! I could have easily gotten an abortion but decided not to because i learned that GOD is the only person who decides upon our lives! Thats something that obviously you didnt learn! You gave up your child to live and waste your life drinking and partying! Its a shame you never got to feel and expirience the love of a true mother towards a child! Your judgement in that court was not the last! We are still to be judged by God and be afraid because unlike that enforcement officer God will know when you’re lying! We will all be judged and we will all pay for what we have done and i just pray that God forgives us and has pitty among us!

10. by marilyn

On July 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm

once the jury goes home to there family and see all the other evidence they will relize the hugh mistake they made how can they look at themsrlves everyday. but now they will live with the biggest mistake of there lives and face justice from god above shame on them.poor caylee may she rest in peace

11. by Sharon

On July 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Casey Anthony showed more emotion when they were reading her “wrong” verdict than she did during the whole trial. What’s wrong with this picture? What a cold hearted human! What a travesty of justice.

Keep this rose Going for Caylee Marie Anthony ♥
    _____/)___/)______./¯”"”/’)
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\)¯¯\)¯¯¯’\_„„„,\)
    RIP BABY GIRL!!! If the State of Florida can’t bring Justice for her murder, the least we can do is keep this Rose going for her on facebook …

12. by Leslie

On July 5, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I keep hearing “why wouldn’t you report a missing child?” correct me if I am wrong, but didn’t Casey admit to Caylee drowning and disposing of body? that explains why she didn’t report it. What I want to know is what kind if mother treats her little girl’s dead body like that? What kind of mother would try to hide anything or lie? And what kind if mother parties and gets a “beautiful life” tattoo? Makes me sick! Shouldn’t she be held accountable for not reporting a death??? Is there something I am missing?

13. by jennifer

On July 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm

casey is guilty of 1st degree murder. i cant believe this jury found her not guilty. thats our system. baby killers, molesters, rapist get off with no consequences. dont understand it.

14. by Mczech

On July 5, 2011 at 7:51 pm

It looks like so long as your case is tried on TV u can get away with murder

15. by Michelle

On July 5, 2011 at 8:06 pm

This is just another sad story…it just doesn’t make sense that people can just do that to their children meanwhile there are hundreds of couples who are willing to sacrifice everything just to adopt. Poor baby girl…she didn’t deserve such a horrible death…may she enjoy the happiness and peace up in heaven versus this cruel world we live in.

16. by Chloe

On July 5, 2011 at 8:15 pm

She’s obviously disturbed. The best thing would be for her to end up in a mental institution for life, so she never hurts another child ever again. If she did it, she’s disturbed; if she didn’t, she’s disturbed because she ‘never reported her missing child’. either way, she’s crazy. i can’t stand 5 minutes not knowing where my 2yr old girl is, let alone a whole frickin month!! Who the heck juried this??

17. by vannessa

On July 6, 2011 at 10:52 am

i think this is wrong that she got off like that im sorry that’s not right at all that is pretty much saying hey i can smoother my child and get away with it cause im 25 and single and stupid….. what is the world yet the legal system coming to these days its like the texas case where the mother was alone and killed all 5 of her kids….. this mom got lucky but here is the thing i hope she realizes what she has done and she has to answer to the higher court system someday aka GOD.

18. by rissel

On July 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm

It is so stupid to think that not even child abuse she got !! Why?? she already admit that the girl was dead with her (her own lawyer said!!) No one was more interest than her to see that angel dead. it is soo sad see our system just crumble !! She kill that girl and everybody know it