New Crib Safety Guidelines: What Parents Need to Know

Starting Tuesday, June 28, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) ban on drop-side cribs will take effect.  The cribs, which allow parents to lower one side of the crib for easier access, are responsible for 150 suffocation and strangulation deaths between 2007 to 2010.

The CPSC voted unanimously to overhaul the rules governing crib safety in July 2010, the first such move in nearly 30 years.

Manufacturers and retailers must make and sell only compliant beginning tomorrow, but rental cribs, such as are available in hotels, child care centers, and furniture rental companies, have until December of 2012 to comply with the new rules.

The new standards:

• Ban drop-side construction altogether, requiring instead that cribs have fixed sides.
  • Require that mattress supports are stronger.
  • Improve the strength of the crib slats.
  • Require that crib hardware be more durable and less likely to fail.
  • Make crib safety testing more rigorous.

“I am very pleased that the new mandatory crib standards will stop the manufacture and sale of dangerous traditional drop-side cribs and will vastly improve the structural integrity of cribs,” said CPSC chairman Inez M. Tenenbaum in a statement.

The CPSC has published a Q&A for parents (visit the drop-side crib info page and scroll down to the “Consumers” section) with information on what drop-side crib owners can do.  Some key points families should know:

• Families should not sell or donate a drop-side crib, even if it has been been fitted with immobilizing hardware.  Disassemble and discard the crib instead.
  • Parents can see if their particular drop-side crib has been recalled, and request a free hardware kit to immobilize the drop-side.
  • Some manufacturers may consider offering incentives or partial refunds for drop-side cribs, though they are not required by law to do so.
  • If you have a drop-side crib and are unable to purchase a new crib, check your crib’s hardware frequently, do not use the drop-side function, and check regularly to see if your crib has been recalled.

For more on crib safety, see:

And for more on product recalls that might affect your family, consult Parents.com’s Toy and Product Recall Finder.

(image via: http://babycribcom.com/)

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by Laura D

On June 28, 2011 at 10:19 am

So what happens now? Even w/ the drop sides on my daughters crib, being 4’11″ & and having an already unhealthy back, putting my daughter in her crib even awake is difficult & impossible to do w/ out waking her up should she be sleeping. While I understand why this is happening & agree w/ the decision, I am wondering what the companies will do to accomodate the height challenged part of the population. Perhaps making the legs themselves height adjustable as an alternative….I guess we’ll see.

2. by hilda

On June 28, 2011 at 10:28 am

This is great! Laura anything outweighs a child being hurt or worse suffocated to death. I’m sure a persons height isn’t that important. I am 5’6″ and still have trouble reaching down to put my baby to sleep (mattress is in lowest position)but I rather buy a step stool or figure it out another way opposed to putting my child in danger!

3. by Misty

On June 28, 2011 at 11:02 am

This is wonderful. I am very pleased this has been made a ban. I don’t know how many times over the past few years I have been hearing the warnings about this type of crib design.

Seriously, Laura?
    Regardless of anyone’s back problems or their height…the small inconvenience this may cause certain parents is certainly a small price to pay to aid in eliminating infant death. Figure out alternatives (step stool, back support) and be happy this has happened.

4. by Tina

On June 28, 2011 at 11:06 am

i have to say don’t totally agree with this new law. i have one son who is 16 now and one that is less than a year. for my 16 year old i had a drop side crib and never once did i have any problems with it. And i agree that hieght and health problems can be a big factor. I’m only 5’1 in hieght and am disabled because of my back so getting my youngest son out of a crib is hard enough as it is. If more parents would stand up take responsablity and pay more attention to thier kids maybe so many accadentil deaths wouldn’t happen.

5. by susan

On June 28, 2011 at 11:11 am

When I had my son in 2007 there were many reports on drop side cribs and problems so I looked around. There are many other options besides drop downs. They have the stationary sides where one side is lower than the other. I found my crib and love it and it has a drop gate. The whole side doesn’t drop down but part of it folds down. I’m glad something is finally being done about dropside cribs.

I agree with Hilda, get a step stool, its better for your child to be safe.

6. by dnha14

On June 28, 2011 at 11:12 am

Here come more emergency room visits for back problems, especially for grandparents babysitting the kids. The unintended consequences will be immense. I’m sure that the CPSC and OSHA have regulations on lifting in the workplace and the motion required to lift the baby and place it in the crib now probably does not comply with those standards. Does mom and dad have to wear one of those back support belts when putting baby to sleep? This is one more instance of government regulations gone amuck.

7. by Cameron

On June 28, 2011 at 11:13 am

Stepstools? Seriously? Some of y’all are ranting about the danger of the drop-side crib, but recommend I get on a stepstool with my baby?!? I’m 5’1 and there’s no way I can put her down in her crib without dropping her if I don’t use the drop-side. But there’s no way on earth I’d get on a stepstool holding her.

8. by Misty

On June 28, 2011 at 11:23 am

More emergency room visits for back problems? Spare me. I’m short and have back trouble. If someone’s back is genuinely this VOLATILE that using a step stool or some other solution to replacing a crib that 150 BABIES HAVE BEEN KILLED in over the course of 3 years is not a better trade off – They should not be handling that baby in the first place! Really.
    As Susan has said, there ARE other alternatives in cribs! Get one!

9. by ROSE

On June 28, 2011 at 11:37 am

fOR YOU PEOPLE WHO HAVE YOUNGE KIDS, THIS WHOLE DROP SIDE THING HAS BEEN BEING TALKED ABOUT FOR YEARS!! MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE KEEP YOUR LEGS SHUT AND NOT HAD A KID. BACK PROBLEM PEOPLE GOOD GOD GET OVER IT NOT A SINGLE PERSON CARES THAT YOUR POOR BACK HURTS GET A SMALL PACK AND PLAY THEN YOU WONT HAVE TO DEAL WITH STEP STOOLS OR (SAD TO SAY)DROPPING YOUR CHILD. FOR THE GRANDPARENTS IT IS THE PARENTS RESPONISIBLITY TO FIND A WAY FOR THE BABY TO SLEEP WHILE IN YOUR CARE THERE ARE BASSINETTS AND PACK AND PLAYS FOR A REASON. NOT EVERY BABY NEEDS A CRIB AT EVERY SINGLE PLACE THEY REST THERE EYES AT. USE YOUR HEAD AND COMMON SENCE PEOPLE BE GOOD RESPONSIBLE PARENTS AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR CHILDREN THE WAY THEY SHOULD BE FOLLOW MANUFACTURES INSTRUCTIONS AND NO PROBLEMS SHOUKD ARISE

10. by Kayla

On June 28, 2011 at 11:48 am

Well all us short mamas are going to have to put daddy on baby duty. My mother can not get on a stepstool and can not bend far enough to place a sleeping baby in a fixed side crib; I feel for all the grandparents this will alienate.
    I do feel that the mattress supports need to be improved, cardboard, seriously?!

11. by Angela

On June 28, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Let’s all just calm down a bit. I would like to point out to Hilda and Misty that the first commenter, Laura, DID say “I understand why this is happening & agree w/ the decision.” So, you know, maybe back off a bit? Is “Seriously, Laura?” really necessary? She’s commenting on how this change affects her as a shorter person. Her challenges are very real and, until you walk in her shoes, perhaps a little more support and helpful suggestions would be in order. I don’t think “Hey, I’m 5’6″ and it’s hard for me too!” really helps. Neither does Rose’s “MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE KEEP YOUR LEGS SHUT AND NOT HAD A KID. BACK PROBLEM PEOPLE GOOD GOD GET OVER IT NOT A SINGLE PERSON CARES THAT YOUR POOR BACK HURTS.” That’s awfully harsh, judgmental and mean, Rose. You’re going to regulate who gets to have kids based on the way cribs are manufactured? Let’s all support and encourage one another. Being a mom can be hard enough without other moms hating on you. Perhaps this commenting forum could be a place where we brainstorm solutions, not insult and belittle.

12. by Teresa

On June 28, 2011 at 12:08 pm

they should put a warning label on this crib “use at your own risk”, they should still sell this kind of crib to the people that want to use this style. If you don’t want to use this kind of crib because what can happen THEN DONT BUY IT! I love my drop down crib and everyone else I know that has it loves it too!

13. by Jamie

On June 28, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Wow! There is more whining here then in my HOUSE. And I have 4 kids under the age of 6. LOL.
    I am 4.10 So I got you ALL beat! haha. I too have trouble with getting the kids in and out of the crib but I do not use Step stools, Ladders, Stilts, or even High heels! I use something much better…
    MY HUSBAND!
    Common Ladies! This is GREAT. Now we have an excuse to sit and relax while the men do the work. :-)

14. by Sarah

On June 28, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Kids can get hurt from any kind of crib, they always find a reason to ban something!

15. by Kim

On June 28, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I have a drop side from a Canadian company. Never had recalls from them on drop sides. They had a few stationary cribs that were recalled. I love my drop side. It now is a toddler bed. But I never had issues, and I checked it often. Problem is, they’re being made very cheap over seas. People are not inspecting the ones they are looking to buy. It’s a shame that people had to suffer such a serious loss. But enough with the regulations. As a first time parent, I checked my crib daily. I also paid top dollar for this crib. That doesn’t always mean it’s a better crib. But from what I’ve seen out there, it’s 100% better quality than the drop sides that WERE recalled. It should be left to the parents to decide what they feel safe with.

16. by Sydni

On June 28, 2011 at 12:39 pm

For short people and those with back problems, there is always the Babee Tenda crib. It’s hugely expensive, but if convenience is more important to you it might be worth it. http://babeetenda.com/crib.htm

17. by Christine

On June 28, 2011 at 1:01 pm

BACK PROBLEMS!!! HELLO!! The safety of our precious children. I am 30 years old, I have a 7 month old and a 2 year old. I have had 3 back surgeries and my last surgery was a disc fusion which limits mobility to my spine, I have a stool to help get my kids in and out of the crib. How many times a day are we really bending down to put our babies in the cribs. I strain my back more getting my 7 month old out of her Jumberoo and pack n play… I would never jeopardize the safety of my children…

18. by Deanna

On June 28, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Just what we need. More rules.
    At some point isn’t it a parents responsibility to take care of their own children. If you are concerned about a crib that MILLIONS of children have survived over the course of 3 years, then DON’T put your child in it…but keep your nose out of my business if I CHOOSE to use it for my own children. For crying out loud, stay out of my life. Mind your own.

19. by Peggy

On June 28, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Ok well I do understand the safety of our children does come first I would like to know how many safety rules were broke with the death of these babies because with suffocation it normally requires some sort of blankets stuffed toys ect. in the crib with the babies so yes somehow the toys/blankets got caught in te drop down but I know I have read 100 times that you shouldn’t have extra bedding or stuffed toys in your child’s crib because of the risk of suffocation with that being said can we honestly blame all the deaths on the drop side? It is very misfortune to have so many child die from any cause and better manufacturing of any product to improve safety is a must but further investigation is also…if we remove everything that could possibly injury or heaven forbid death then what would be left….also why condone someone because if a health issue most people spread their legs BEFORE they have children so the comment about my javin them was well immature I have 4 kids my last pregnancy twins and my back was fine until recently and my twins are 2 so why be rude? The safety of the parents are important too our children need us so we have to becareful and watch our safety too how would it affect them if we got paralyzed or worse…There are pros and cons to any recall but I think there need to he more investigation before removing the product.

20. by Hannah

On June 28, 2011 at 2:04 pm

This just gives me yet another excuse to buy my 17 month old his Cars toddler bed he has been begging me for. Lol

21. by Kindra

On June 28, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I am so surprised at the amount of COMPLAINERS!! I wouldnt have even thought about my self or the inconvinience to ME!! Have you people seen the pictures depicting just how the drop sides malfunction and injure/kill the little babies? Its terrible, and even the most diligent parent could lose their child to the defective cribs. My goodness, for shame on you with “back problems” and oh no if you end up “in the er” ! BETTER YOU THAN THAT PRECIOUS BABY!

22. by Heather

On June 28, 2011 at 2:21 pm

For those with back problems and/or height problems I understand where you are coming from, and I do not blame you for not wanting to get rid of your drop side crib. Talking with my dad about this post we came up with a way to make these cribs more stable. By putting a block in the shape of a “T” or “Y” that is place under the corners of the drop side of something made out of wood or plastic that you can remove easily when you go to put in/take out your baby it will make the side more stable and unlikly that it can fall down on its own.

23. by Kindra

On June 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm

BTW ANGELA, you are absolutely right

24. by Sarah

On June 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Sadly some of these deaths can be attributed to not following manufacturer direction when assembling and using the crib. Those little instruction manuals are there to, surprise, surprise, BE READ. It frustrates me to no end that people make the choice not to follow directions and then call foul when there child (or even themselves in some cases) are injured due to their own negligence. It is important with anything that you use with you baby to check it regularly for wear and damage that may affect it’s use and safety.

25. by Misty

On June 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Amen…Hilda, Susan, Cameron, Jamie, Sydni, Hannah and Kindra and to the others that get this!

No one can stop the people that believe in their “tried and true” drop side cribs regardless of all the proof that these are unsafe. To those that have them and believe in them – no one is stopping you from continuing to use it. To any new or unsuspecting mothers, these cribs will not be available to purchase any longer, and I still feel this is a very good thing. Better to be safe than sorry, has always been my philosophy. My baby’s life is more important than any aches or pains than I will ever have. All that being said, I would more than pity those who’ve been warned of the dangers and the choice to turn a blind eye on problematic issues with this crib to appease their own comfort levels when it could have been prevented. Only you, as a parent, have to live and be happy with the decisions you make for your children’s safety.

26. by Susan

On June 28, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I’ve had five children and and a very bad back. I couldn’t have managed without a drop side crib. I think the manufacturers have gotten lazy and want to make more money. So they can make the cribs for cheaper and charge more. Of all the millions of children who have slept in drop side cribs the death rate is slow. I would like to know the other deaths they might be including in the statistics which make me really wonder about the accuracy of the claims.That’s fifty children a year. That’s still a very low statistic. I would still use whatever crib I wanted. This is about the money not our children. They want to force you to spend more money. Our babies are important to us. So this where they’re hitting now. Good luck to all you new mom’s.

27. by Misty

On June 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm

To those that will still use it – this article has pointed out that if your crib is on a “recall list”, you can obtain an Immobilizer Kit for free from the manufacturer. At least use this free service to ensure safety.

28. by Angela

On June 28, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Heather–thank you for posting something positive and helpful. Of course, everyone needs to use caution in deciding if a suggestion they hear online will really work, or if it will cause more harm. Do your research. In the case of what Heather suggested, I think it sounds like it could work. I have placed appropriately-sized boxes under the drop-side at my mom’s house before, just to be safe. I think it’s a similar idea. Use YOUR best judgement, though.

Misty, and the others who are condemning these mothers with back problems–have you walked in their shoes? Do you know what types of problems they deal with every day? Do you understand that they may not physically be able to lower their babies over the tall edge of a crib, as you can? I do not condone putting one’s baby in known danger. However, your negativity and insults are ineffective in communicating whatever it is you are trying to say. What are you accomplishing, other than fueling a heated and volatile argument? Let’s try to be positive, here. I think we can all assume that each mother loves and cares for her children, and does not want to cause any harm to them. Do you have any ideas for solutions for these mothers? Many of them benefited from the drop side. Are there other ways we can make this benefit possible, in a safe manner?

29. by Angela

On June 28, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Misty, I took so long in writing my comment that I did not see your comment about using the Immobilizer Kit. Thank you for reminding us of this, as I’m sure it will be helpful for the moms who cannot afford a new crib, but still want to be safe.

30. by Misty

On June 28, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Angela – I am not condemning any mothers with a back problem or any other health concerns. I still suffer issues with my back due to a gymnastics injury when I was a teenager-but this fact, doesn’t matter to any of you or frankly, to MYSELF when put up against the safety of my child. Say what you will, and I will say what I will. I’m not hostile in any way. You keep speaking of “walking in other shoes” – you haven’t walked in mine either and don’t have the slightest idea why I might feel so strongly.
    I will not sit here and listen to people defend using a crib with known safety issues, so much so that manufacturing one of this style is being banned. I’m sorry to those that have them – that is where the FREE immobilizer kit comes in. If you’re fixing them – that’s great. Now we know. If you’re using it without fixing it – that is what I have issue with. Whether it’s 150, 100 or 50 babies that died? What the hell is the difference? We can all admit it would take just ONE — that was near and dear to us to tear us apart. I’m making a decision for myself as a mother to my two children to adhere to safety precautions. All the rest can be responsible for theirs. I strongly believe in safety and doing all that I can (and hope others do the same) to ensure guidelines, assembly directions, installation directions, etc are followed closely and correctly. Goes for car seats or anything else…to each his own.

31. by Beckamax

On June 28, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Did anyone notice that drop side cribs have been used for years with no problems? The problems started when the crib manufacturers started using plastic latches and parts for the drop side. They wear out , crack and break causing the sudden drop in the side of the crib. Why not just go back to metal parts that work and stop making a big deal out of something that was created with trying to save a few bucks by the crib manufacturers. I think its a little extreme to disallow all drop side cribs. There are thousands and thousands of babies who slept in them with no problems. If they ban something for such few accidents(tragic accidents at that, not to make light), then why not ban cars..how many people and children die needlessly each year in car accidents? you don’t see the government banning cars do you?

32. by Brittany

On June 28, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I have a four-in-one convertible crib, that has the drop down feature, I looked on the website and it hasn’t been recalled, but should I still be worried about this?

33. by genia

On June 28, 2011 at 9:02 pm

my childs bed was my 14 yr olds and it is a drop side bed it turns into a toddler bed then to a ful size bed its a great bed and has all the peaces and they all work great i belive people should look over there beds not all drop side beds are bad it is real hard to put your child down in it while they are a sleep or even to change there dipers while they sleep the baby bed comps.need to stop and think bout everything they can and will help us mothers putting our little ones down and for there safty

34. by Better Sleep

On June 28, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Maybe human infants weren’t meant to be put in a cage in a room far away from their parents… I don’t think the issue is really whether the side of the cage conveniently drops down. Maybe the issue is that our culture is encouraging us to mistreat our infants in this way in the first place?

35. by anna

On June 28, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I bought a dorel Asia crib for my son in 2008, and it was recalled in January of 2010. I ordered the replacement hardware because I was planning to use it for my daughter who was born in December of 2011. These new safety requirements just started today, but made me nervous about the crib. I tried to call dorel Asia, and after being transfered to about a million people, I FINALLY spoke to someone who told me what I was wondering. He told me that the crib did not meet the new safety requirements even with the replacement hardware and there was nothing he could do since it wasn’t on recall. So I called Walmart and asked was there anything they could do, and the lady said no. So I was stuck with a crib that was no longer considered “safe” but no one seemed to care. I don’t get why its not recalled but no longer consider safe. And why no one could have done anything. So I guess that’s what I get for buying my crib from Walmart. Today I went to babies r us and purchased a new crib that did meet all the safety requirements, but I think it is unfair that people who have already purchased a crib must go and replace it and the manufacturer and retailer have to do NOTHING.

36. by Bob Harris

On June 28, 2011 at 10:44 pm

@dnha14

On June 28, 2011 at 11:12 am

Here come more emergency room visits for back problems…The unintended consequences will be immense…This is one more instance of government regulations gone amuck.
    *************************
    Good grief, dnha14, this is government “gone amuck”? How many more children have to die because of a dangerous design before you would accept the obvious (and overdue)case for a ban? Do you really think it is appropriate to accept hundreds of documented baby deaths to avoid possible back problems from bending over a crib? I guess you would prefer the 19th century view of liability and risk. The rest of us do not. Today’s society mandates that government take on a role in protecting public safety.

37. by Michelle

On June 28, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Seriously? You people making comments sound like a bunch of idiots. Your parents not teenagers, well maybe some of you are which would explain your complete lack to rationalize on a mature, safe, thinking level. What part of BABIES DIED do you all not understand???? How would you feel if it was your baby? Thats why there are companies and committees like this in place to find what is safe for our children. I’m 4’11 and have back problems. It’s hard to put my son in his crib at night. But, I make it happen, because that’s what parents do. So man up quit being so selfish thinking about yourself and do what’s best and safest for your kid or don’t friekin have one. Parenthood isn’t for self absorbed ignorant whiners.

38. by Alicia

On June 29, 2011 at 12:39 am

what if they just made the legs of the crib shorter? almost like how a pack and play is close to the ground but maybe not so much. I only used a drop side crib for my first 2 kids but my youngest one used a playpen or pack n play whatever you want to call it. it came with the bassinet attachment for when he was a new born and when he started to roll we took it out. my parents and grandparents are still young enough to bend and pick him up so it wasnt a problem. now he’s in a toddler bed. I’m sure they’ll come up with new designs for cribs but from my experience a pack n play is just easier…at least for me. its compact and could be moved wherever i needed it and it doesnt take forever to (dis)assemble when i had to move which i did alot. There’s no need for all the anger. we all understand and agree with the ban. I love my children dearly and I’m sure everyone here feels the same about theirs. safety is of the utmost importance but so is respect and understanding. Peace:)

39. by Alicia

On June 29, 2011 at 1:00 am

I realized that i didnt mention what my suggestion was refering to in my previous post. I’m also short, i wont be needing a new crib anytime soon but its just a suggestion, if they just shorten the legs of the crib so that both stationary sides and essentially the entire crib are lower than it is now.maybe making it a bit easier for us vertically challenged folks to reach into the crib.

40. by Jenny

On June 29, 2011 at 8:33 am

I am not giving up my drop side current crib, I believe is very useful the way it is and besides I’m the one who is responsible to watch my kid even when he’s sleeping to make sure he is safe. I’m having another baby and I’m still planning on use the same crib.
    I’s not that I don care, I really sorry to know about those fatalities but I have to rely also on myself not only on a perfect piece of furniture.
    besides I have backaches issues I can’t be lifting my 19 months old without droping that side of the crib.

41. by Faith

On June 29, 2011 at 11:10 am

I agree with Angela and appreciate her comments.

I think that people should understand that the ban is because children died from the drop-side cribs and should be taken seriously. You cannot base your opinion on your one experience with your one crib. Just because you didn’t have any problems with your crib, does not change the fact that many other babies have died in theirs. Whether it was from user error, plastic parts, or whatever, they are unsafe.

I think that a lot of the people on here that have back problems, however, understand that and appreciate that and want to change to a safer crib. However, they have a valid problem to deal with. They need a crib that is safe AND that they can use without having to go to the ER. They are now asking what do we do now? What crib can we buy that is both safe and that I can safely use.

I just looked at BRU and Targett, online to see what other options they have so that I can put a new crib on my baby registry. There is no information for parents like me who want to get a new crib, but who can absolutely not use the usual stationary sided crib with their baby.

If we made our huge drop-sided crib stationary with some kind of kit, I wouldn’t be able to use it. I know this because I literally injured myself doing this with our first baby. So it is not a hypothetical problem for me, it is a real problem. And if you have ever been immobilized because of excruciating pain that put you into physical therapy and treatment for weeks, and had to have your husband stay home from work to help with the baby because you could barely walk, then you would understand how important it is for you and for your whole family to have a crib that is BOTH safe for your baby and safe for you to use.

Having your husband put the baby in the crib only works if he is there. If you have a husband that works outside of the home, then you have to deal with this issue the whole day by yourself.

Also, getting up on a stepping stool while holding a baby is very dangerous. I have fallen off of them before without trying to balance a tiny baby over the side of a crib. The point is to do something that is safe for your child, not add more risks.

Let’s be helpful and try to come up with solutions for people who want to get a safe crib for their baby, and who at the same time need to be able to use the crib and not depend on someone else placing the baby in it.

42. by Liz

On June 29, 2011 at 11:41 am

I have a drop down crib with the cheap plastic parts and I notice the parts are starting to break. It does make me nervous and by the time I have another baby, I will be getting a new crib due to the safety issues of my current crib. They do make cribs out there that are lower to the ground. My best friend has one for her baby. It’s like having a play pen but it’s a crib.

43. by Faith

On June 29, 2011 at 11:50 am

BTW, I just contacted Babee Tenda, a company that makes cribs with sides that open like a gate, and one side is a drop-side. I thought that maybe this would be the answer for me. They said that, not only is the drop-side banned, but also the gate-side. They make their cribs with metal and wood (no cheap plastic parts from over seas). In 60 years of the company’s existence there has never been a recall or death associated with any of their products. Now they cannot sell their cribs. This I find disturbing, and where the law might go too far. They need to ban the unsafe cribs, but allow obviously safe ones to remain. Why couldn’t they allow them to make a crib without a drop-side, but with the gate-side? Couldn’t they come up with safer standards for drop-side or gate-sided cribs without completely banning them?

Regardless, I don’t feel comfortable with our older drop-sided crib, which I believe does have plastic in it. So, I will continue my search for something that works for me. Hopefully there will be something out there.

44. by Faith

On June 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm

More information I have found after researching online:
    The Consumer Product Safety Commission, (I believe they are responsible for the new rules), have a lot of detailed information regarding the new rules/laws.

I thought this question and answer were extremely helpful:

If I am unable to purchase a new crib, what can I do to keep my baby safe?
    If you continue to use your current crib, you are encouraged to:

a. Check CPSC’s crib recall list to make sure that your crib has not been recalled.
    b. Check the crib frequently to make sure all of the hardware is secured tightly and that there are no loose, missing, or broken parts.
    c. If your crib has a drop-side rail, stop using that drop-side function. If the crib has been recalled, request a free immobilizer from the manufacturer or retailer (particular immobilizer will vary depending on the crib).
    d. Another option is to use a portable play yard, so long as it is not a model that has been recalled previously.

45. by Amanda K. Burczyk

On June 29, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Wow… I understand many of you feel strongly but I read one comment that got it right… if your dropped down has METAL parts it’s most likely safe, if it has cheap plastic parts I wouldn’t use it. MILLIONS of kids in A LOT MORE than 3 years have survived with not even a close call. I don’t think the entire style of crib should be banned but they should regulate what materials and what type of hardware is used in creating these types of cribs. I guess to those of you that have a drop down crib and are afraid to keep it, as long as it has metal hardware, I’d gladly take it from you! I have a lot of health and mobility problems and it is NOT POSSIBLE for me to bend in such a way that I could put a baby (my son is now in a toddler bed) into a non drop side crib. It literally is not possible. It’s not that it hurts too much or whatever I just can’t do it. Bassinets only hold the child up to a certain weight, so they need to go in a crib eventually. Not too mention I can’t afford to buy some fancy crib with a gate instead of a drop down. I can barely afford life as it is, I have as I said a lot of health problems and I work as much as I possibly can but at only $10/hr it’s not enough with the high cost of living these days. I don’t have 100s or 1000s of dollars to spend on a crib! Now I am wishing I hadn’t given my son’s crib away in case I ever have another child. That one was all hard wood and metal and was VERY sturdy! I would lean in the side a lot to check on my son and it never budged. I truly put that crib to the test, believe me. I checked it regularly and never once had a problem. Everyone has their own opinion, but I think they should be given the freedom to choose for themselves!

46. by Sue

On June 30, 2011 at 6:18 am

Most of the child deaths and injuries were caused by the cribs being improperly put together. Even the video I saw shows a crib with the drop side installed UPSIDE DOWN. I have a drop side crib and need it as I too am short. I could not put my child in it without the drop side. I also would never use a step stool with my baby in my arms. This is a ridiculous law. Caregivers need to learn to read instructions and put things together properly.

47. by Daddy

On June 30, 2011 at 9:37 am

I was curious why the Gov’t decided to ban this style of crib. 150 deaths blamed on the crib. How many were avoidable (crib side slid out of track, causing the issue because somebody didn’t pay attention). 150 deaths (between 2007 and 2010) out of ~16 millions births. Does that sound ridiculous or what?
    Are we going to ban cars next. More people (and babies) die in them.
    I’ll think about it while I go outside and play with our yard darts.

48. by maria

On July 2, 2011 at 9:31 am

i’m not liking this at all. i have a disability that affects my arms that makes my arms a lot shorter and are bent to where i cant straighten them out. i have a 2 year old and the drop down crib made it so easy for me to pick up my baby. when the side rail was up i could not reach him. does this mean i shouldnt have kids because i do want another one in the near future.

49. by Patty

On July 3, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I am very surprised to hear what I am hearing. Your first and most important role as a parent is to keep your children safe. Nobody is ever going to be happy when something gets banned no matter what is it, there are alwasy those that will complain. But did you ever think about those parents that may have said the same thing and then they lost a child. The rest of us were lucky enough not to be one in that situation. I think that anything that can be done to protect a child is a wonderful thing. It seem a bit selfish to only worry about how this is going to affect you. If you had back problems before but you got pregnant, carried that child and gave birth, I don’t see how adapting to put you child in a crib is that big of a deal. Especially when the flip side could mean that you could lose your child and then be a basketcase for the rest of your life. I don’t think you would be as concerned about a little extra work getting them in that crib then

50. by rebecca Rulo

On July 5, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Im 4’10 and dont use a dropside Never had any issues Being short is not an excuse for risking my child harm

51. by Sarah

On July 15, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I think that the new law kinda sucks but it is good for people that can’t seem to put cribs together correctly. I have two dropside cribs and they are both great with no problems. It is sad that little babies died from such a flaw. If you install the dropside incorrectly then you will have a problem with the crib. I think most of the problems are user error.

52. by Stephanie

On July 28, 2011 at 7:30 pm

So, I have 4 kids with one on the way…With the first 3, I had 2 drop-side cribs, and never had any issues. I felt the hardware could have been sturdier, but I checked it often to make sure it was still safe. With my last child, I chose a different style, mostly because I really liked the way it looked. I don’t think there is a “wrong” style of crib. I think it is sad that 150 babies were killed because of some sort of crib malfunction, but like others have pointed out, in most cases, the babies were absolutely fine. In response to whoever said placing a baby in a crib was like putting an animal in a cage, I would like to know how many babies are accidentally suffocated every year by their own parents because they co-sleep??? I really have a difficult time believing cribs aren’t safer than that. I am all for a baby sleeping in a parents room,(for a short period of time)but I cannot be supportive of bed sharing. But, that’s just me. Really, parents need to make their OWN DECISIONS about THEIR CHILDREN. If you have a drop down crib and you love it, then use it. Nobody is going door to door making you replace it. If you feel it is completely necessary to replace your crib, then do it. The new guidlines are meant to keep our children safer, but in reality, only we as parents can look out for our children’s best interest. Just my opinion…

53. by liz

On September 9, 2011 at 10:44 am

I agree with Laura, I know everyone says “its better for your child” .. the mother needs her back.. and only being 5″1 I have a hard time getting kids into the crib even when they are awake. If the mothers back goes out what is she to do ? How will the child be taken care of ? How will the mother work to provide? Things like that ARE important. Children rely on their care takers so completely that if that care taker is injured or incapable of taking care of them they suffer. The company should think of ways to shorten to cribs at least make some kind of height adjustments that would be safe for children and assist parents. There is NOTHING wrong with pointing out the issues that this creates for parents, as parents and children are linked so intricately that a problem for one creates an issue for both. OF COURSE Laura thinks her children should be safe and is probably glad they thought of this but they also should have thought of what problems this might create for the parents.

54. by Błonica

On November 14, 2011 at 9:12 am

Fantastic read, I simply passed this onto a friend who had been doing some research on that. And he just purchased me lunch because I discovered it for him smile Therefore let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!

55. [...] Comforter Set Rose Tree SYMPHQCSBest Price Jenny 3-in-1 Convertible Crib in White : 123 Best PriceNew Crib Safety Guidelines: What Parents Need to KnowDelta Childrens Products Canton 4 in 1 Convertible Crib, BlackImportant Baby Crib Features You Need [...]

56. by Cb

On July 17, 2012 at 9:11 pm

What a bunch of mean people! I’m appalled. No one in my house is over 5’4″. Are we not to have children? Safety is a huge concern, I preach it every day at work – but having to roll an 11 month old off the end of your fingertips isn’t ideal either. They’re top heavy. My back is fine – I help lift 400 lb women having babies, but I can’t reach very well and other people have this problem as well. For those of you suggesting we shouldn’t have babies – examine your own lives. Anyone unable to afford college? Deal with it – you aren’t perfect either!!! What is your criteria for motherhood? Hope you don’t ever break a leg – someone may call child protection because you aren’t fit. Really! Disgusting. Co sleeping – are you kidding me. Is anyone familiar with AAP guidelines and statistics? I am. Judgements attitudes don’t save lives.

57. [...] New Crib Safety Guidelines: What Parents Need to Know [...]

58. by Monique

On September 21, 2012 at 2:22 am

Hi all,

I am not a mom yet but in the future I definitely want kids….I also have a dwarfism and I am under four feet in height. In case anyone is wondering, women with a dwarfism are capable of carrying to term and raising children, we just have to be creative with a few things…I’m appauled at some of the comments I’ve seen, basically if you’re short deal with it, use a stool, stop complaining? Wow, if it was that simple and nice lack of empathy! I will not be using a stool, and even a drop side wouldn’t have worked for me. There is a crib called Quick Change Crib where one of the sides opens up (not the side with the rails)…there are also sites on how to adapt a crib for parents with a disability or in wheelchairs (yes, disabled parents do exist). Sometimes you have to get creative, but creativity does not mean sacrificing safety…I think it’s important to realize as well that a lot of things made now are cheaply done vs. baby items made when our parents were infants…

59. [...] not be wider than about the width of a soda can and a new safety regulation – since 2011 – bans new cribs with [...]

60. by A Dad

On February 23, 2013 at 5:42 pm

It’s a pain for wife who is 5’6″,… the crib that I picked is just high enough that she needs to stand on her toes… using a stool means bending over further that can stress a back of a body that’s already fragile. And our son will get up unless he’s in deep sleep. Going to saw off a couple of inches to hopefully make life better.

61. by Molly

On April 23, 2013 at 1:31 pm

This is really upsetting, as my husband is in a wheelchair, and with out having a way to lower one of the panels, there is no way for him to get to the baby. This is UNFAIR, and completely awful. I understand the safety issues, but you still need to have something on the market, that is accessible for handicaped parents.

62. [...] if you’d like, about the fact that drop-side cribs were removed from the market. Thirty-two children reportedly died from them since [...]

63. [...] not be wider than about the width of a soda can and a new safety regulation – since 2011 – bans new cribs with [...]