Studies: Babies Prefer Picasso to Monet

Picasso's La Paysage de Juan les Pins

Picasso's Landscape of Juan-les-pin

A series of five experiments involving 9-month-olds in Switzerland revealed that the babies preferred the Spanish artist Pablo Picasso over the French impressionist Claude Monet.  As MSNBC reports:

In one of the experiments, 24 infants (14 girls, 10 boys), were shown either six paintings by Picasso or the same number by Monet, and researchers measured their “look time” at each image. They then introduced two paintings side by side, one from each artist, Picasso’s “Landscape of Juan-les-pin” and Monet’s “Poppy Field Near Giverny.”

Babies who had been viewing the Monets preferred the Picasso — it was something new and different to their eyes. But the infants who had been shown the Picassos also looked longer at the new Picasso.

Another one of the experiments, which were all published in the journal Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts, presented babies with black-and-white versions of Picasso’s and Monet’s paintings.  Again, the babies preferred Picasso’s work, surprising researchers who had theorized that the artist’s color palettes had influenced the preferences.

Researchers concluded that it’s the sharp contrasts of Picasso’s paintings, as compared to Monet’s softer, more fluid imagery, that stimulated the babies.  Parents might look for bright-contrast toys to keep their own babies interested in things for longer.

(image via: http://www.painting-palace.com)

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by Leonel Mamaril

On November 8, 2011 at 10:06 am

I like what you guys are up too. Such smart work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my web site :)

2. by pacquiao vs marquez live streaming

On November 10, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Spot on with this write-up, I really suppose this web site wants far more consideration. I’ll most likely be again to learn far more, thanks for that info.

3. by Maurita Undercoffler

On November 14, 2011 at 10:05 am

Beyonce is actually set to reach number 1 regarding this weekend’s album charts, bumping Lady Gaga out of the top position. The U . s . vocalist, who headlined at Glastonbury, is marketing and advertising her lp, 4, 3 times as quickly as chart challengers as documented in (blank) the Official Chart Update.

4. by Dusti Jansing

On November 18, 2011 at 3:53 am

The Justin Bieber juggernaut is without a doubt indicating no evidences of slowing down. Even though his very first album, My World 2.0 was launched just last season, the junior starlet is in fact as of now looking to his next album.

5. by Zenobia Stilwell

On December 29, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I precisely wanted to thank you very much yet again. I do not know the things I would’ve gone through without these tricks contributed by you regarding my field. It absolutely was an absolute frustrating setting in my opinion, nevertheless witnessing your expert mode you resolved it took me to jump with contentment. Extremely happy for this help and thus trust you really know what a powerful job you’re carrying out instructing the others using your websites. Probably you’ve never met any of us.

6. by nike heels new zealand

On January 6, 2012 at 7:51 am

You need to engage in a contest personally of the greatest sites on the internet. I’ll suggest it site!

7. by mbt zapatos precio

On January 7, 2012 at 11:46 am

Aw, this was a really nice post. In concept I wish to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and precise effort to make a very good article… however what can I say… I procrastinate alot and in no way seem to get one thing done.

8. by goedkope uggs

On January 9, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Can I simply say what a aid to seek out someone who really is aware of what theyre speaking about on the internet. You definitely know tips on how to carry a problem to gentle and make it important. More individuals must learn this and perceive this side of the story. I cant consider youre no more fashionable since you definitely have the gift.