Formaldehyde Identified as a Carcinogen

The U.S. government’s National Toxicology Program released a report on June 10 identifying formaldehyde, the laboratory preservative that is also used in products from shampoos to furniture, as a human carcinogen.

According to the Report on Carcinogens (RoC), “Prior editions of the RoC had listed formaldehyde as reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen, and following a rigorous scientific review, formaldehyde is now reassigned to the category known to be a human carcinogen.”

This news may be of concern to parents because of its common presence in home building materials from kitchen cabinets to nursery furniture that’s made with pressboard and particleboard (the resins used to hold these boards together commonly contain formaldehyde.).  In 2009, the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics released a report identifying traces of formaldehyde in a number of cosmetic products as well, including Johnson’s iconic baby shampoo.  There is some debate over this claim, and particularly over the levels of exposure a child would have from any given shampoo or soap product.

The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics lists cosmetic ingredients that are chemical markers for formaldehyde:

Avoid using products that list ingredients that may be contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, including sodium myreth sulfate, PEG compounds and chemicals that include the clauses “xynol,” “ceteareth” and “oleth.” Similarly, avoid products that contain formaldehye-releasing preservatives, including quaternium-15, DMDM hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea and diazolidinyl urea.

And parents who want to avoid exposure from furniture products, can start by following these recommendations from the RoC:

Use lower-emitting pressed wood products, such as those that are labeled CARB (California Air Resources Board) Phase 1 or Phase 2 compliant, or made with ULEF (ultra-low-emitting formaldehyde) or NAF (no-added formaldehyde) resins.

Increase ventilation, particularly after bringing new sources of formaldehyde into the home.  Open windows and use fans to bring in fresh air.

Use air conditioning and dehumidifiers to maintain moderate temperature and reduce humidity levels.

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by paula schuck

On June 13, 2011 at 9:10 am

Dear Lord, This is frightening stuff. But the problem I have with this article is I don’t understand what a PEG compound is or what it is used for and in. Any ideas?

Paula
    @inkscrblr

2. by Kari Lucero

On June 13, 2011 at 10:49 am

Formaldehyde is also a common ingredient in many vaccinations! Does anyone believe this will be addressed?

3. by kalendarz 2012

On October 31, 2012 at 1:24 am

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

4. by skin whitening

On November 1, 2012 at 4:59 am

The huge amount of high quality content on your incredible website has indeed made me realize the huge authority your site contains. Incredible posts and articles everywhere. Keep up the good work.

5. by Lemonade diet pills in stores

On November 2, 2012 at 11:46 am

I truly love this clean perpective you do on the issue. Truly was not expecting that when I began off studying. Your concepts were simple to understand that I wondered why I in no way looked at it before. Glad to find out that there’s a blogger out there that certainly understands what he’s discussing. Excellent.

6. by Shon Matusz

On November 9, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Hi. I believe there is something incorrect with your on page links. I hope you’ll be able to fix it!

7. by OFWGKTA

On November 19, 2012 at 8:30 pm

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

8. by Lauran Bobbs

On November 26, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I found your weblog web site on google and verify a couple of of your early posts. Continue to maintain up the superb operate. I just extra up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Looking for forward to studying extra from you later on!…

9. by go through

On December 4, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Its great as your other articles : D, thanks for posting . “Age is a function of mind over matter if you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.” by Leroy Robert Satchel Paige.

10. by healthy living

On December 17, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Respect to author , some great selective information . “When you cease to dream you cease to live.” by Malcolm Stevenson Forbes.

11. by Get the facts

On January 2, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I am John, how are you everybody? This paragraph posted at this web site is genuinely pleasant.

12. by STONEHARBORBAYHOUSE

On January 3, 2013 at 5:22 am

Appreciate it for all your efforts that you have put in this. very interesting info . “An exile’s life is no life.” by Leonidas of Tarentum.

13. by game blog

On January 13, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Rattling nice design and style and superb content , nothing else we require : D.

14. by plaid curtains

On January 18, 2013 at 9:15 am

What i don’t understood is in reality how you’re now not actually much more well-favored than you may be right now. You’re very intelligent. You already know therefore considerably in the case of this topic, produced me in my opinion imagine it from a lot of various angles. Its like women and men aren’t interested until it°¶s one thing to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs great. Always take care of it up!