Kids Who Attend Preschool Less Likely to Become Criminals

Kids at PreschoolA study published in the journal Science has found that kids who attend preschool are less likely to commit crimes or become addicted to drugs and alcohol as adults.  Preschool-educated kids are also likely to grow up to have higher education and income levels than non-preschool-attending peers.

The study, which was conducted in low-income neighborhoods in Chicago, followed 1,539 children, mostly African American, born in 1979-80.  Nine hundred of the families sent their 3-4-year-old kids to the Chicago’s federally-funded Child-Parent Center Education Program, and the rest attended full-day kindergarten but no preschool.

Time magazine reported on the study:

After tracking the children to age 28, researchers found that those who had attended preschool were 28% less likely to develop alcohol or other drug problems or to wind up in jail or prison in adulthood, compared with kids who did not go to preschool. What’s more, their odds of being arrested for a felony were cut by 22% and they were 24% more likely to attend a four-year college. Incomes in adulthood of those who attended preschool were also higher than those for the children who did not.

Researchers emphasized, however, that it’s the quality of the preschool, not its mere existence, that is likely responsible for these remarkable findings.

“Just funding preschool doesn’t mean it’s going to be effective,” Arthur Reynolds, director of the Chicago Longitudinal Study, told Time. “You have to follow the principles of quality,” including consistent lessons in listening, math and reading preparation, and other school readiness techniques.

(image via: http://www.whyboysfail.com)

Back To Parents News Now
  1. by Cole Spallina

On November 12, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Miley Cyrus has paid tribute to Jackass star Ryan Dunn, sadly killed in a car accident last week.

2. by Shin Maritato

On November 14, 2011 at 9:21 am

Britney Spears has inserted four all new schedules to her forthcoming Great britain tour. The pop star, who definitely will be bringing her Femme Fatale tour onto British shores around October

3. by Many Mcglauflin

On November 15, 2011 at 11:21 am

Lady Gaga would really like to be reincarnated as a ‘mean and tough variation to do with herself in a future life.

4. by Natalya Stier

On November 15, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Katy Perry is about to set a new record previously held by Michael Jackson. If she manages to secure number one spot in the US singles chart she will become the first artist to have five number one singles from one album. Katy Perry is probably about to set a complete brand new record formerly held by Michael Jackson.He Assuming she is able to to secure number one place in the Us singles chart she will definately come to be the first musician and performer to feature 5 number 1 singles provided by one album.

5. by Debt management

On December 5, 2011 at 2:05 am

It is the best moment to make some ideas for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this posting and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Maybe you could write next posts referring to this article. I desire to read more things about it! Debt management

6. by Cornelius Arnt

On December 22, 2011 at 2:36 am

I’ll gear this review to a couple of forms of people: existing Zune proprietors that are contemplating an upgrade, and men and women wanting to determine in between a Zune and an iPod. (You can find other players price thinking about to choose from, much like the Sony Walkman X, but I hope this offers you sufficient info to make an informed conclusion of your Zune vs players aside from the iPod line at the same time.)

7. by beats pro

On January 6, 2012 at 7:10 am

I used to be very happy to seek out this net-site.I needed to thanks to your time for this glorious read!! I positively enjoying each little little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you weblog post.

8. by Elliot Bolliger

On January 20, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Good day! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one? Thanks a lot!