Get in Shape with Housework: Try ‘The cLean Momma Workout’ by Carolyn Barnes
No time to exercise? No problem. Author Carolyn Barnes just wrote a book called The cLean Momma Workout. You may know her from her website or her popular DVDs. Below, Carolyn wrote a guest post for me with her tips on getting lean while you clean. Her book comes out on December 26–perfectly timed for those New Year’s resolutions.
Wouldn’t it be great if we all had a maid and fit into a size 2? Let’s face it, housework is a drag, and going to the gym? Blach. So why not combine the two and get a serious workout, while you clean your house? Learn how to burn up to 200 calories in just 20 minutes while doing your chores!
Crank up your favorite tunes and tone up while you cLean up with three of my favorite, calorie blasting, butt burning exercises that will get your heart rate pumping and your house spotless.
THE RAG DRAG
Cleaning your floors can be a drag, so use this move on any hard surface or floor that needs cleaning. Here’s what you do:
1. Get two damp rags, and place them under your feet, standing shoulder width apart.
2. Bend your knees slightly, keeping your tush tucked in and your abs engaged.
3. Make sure you are not hunched over and that your spine is straight.
4. Start with your right leg bringing it in and out 5 times while bending your left knee. (Make sure that your knee doesn’t extend beyond your toe.)
5. As you bring your right foot in and out, put pressure on your entire foot, as if you are wiping old jelly off the floor. (The resistance makes this a great work out).
6. Repeat this on the other side, 5 times as you clean another area of your floor.
*If you do the “Rag Drag” till your floors are clean, you will burn three times the amount of calories than
you would if you used a mop!
WAX ON, WAX OFF
Say goodbye to gooey countertops, and hello to fab abs and a tight tush! All you need is a rag, a cleaning spray and some elbow grease. Here’s what you do:
1. Stand in front of your counter-top or table with your feet shoulder width apart and bend your knees into a plié position. (Make sure your tush is tucked in, your abs engaged, and your spine stays straight. Note: the tighter you keep your abs, the better the workout).
2. Make sure to keep your hips square to the countertop or table that you are cleaning.
3. Take your rag and cleaner and make ten large circles with your right hand firmly pressing down onto your countertop. (Again, think of wiping away sticky jelly).
4. Repeat with the left hand doing another ten circles while pressing down firmly.
*Think about how often you wipe down your countertops. If you do this throughout your day and evening you’ll see your tummy and arms tone up fast!
The Vacuum Lunch
Firm up your thighs, tush and abs while you vacuum.
1. Place one hand on your vacuum and the other on your hip (for added burn, keep it straight out to the side.
2. Step forward with your right leg bending at the knee and lunging forward. Make sure that your knee doesn’t extend beyond the toe. Keep your spine tall and straight and your abs tight.
3. Hold this position or you can pulse up and down for a count of 10.
4. Repeat with the other foot forward for another count of 10.
5. Continue with counts of 10 as you vacuum around you. The key is to keep your hips from wiggling by keeping your abs tight!