Go Ahead: Read Gone Girl and Wild Right Now
I am at the beach this week with my family. I’m cartwheeling, sunbathing and reading at Fire Island in New York. Every year since 1997, I’ve made my pilgrimage out here. Cars aren’t allowed, swans are aplenty and walking barefoot is required on this tiny paradise place just two hours from my house.
This trip was particularly memorable for three reasons: My kids slept late, and I finally read Gone Girl and Wild.
I know you’ve heard a lot about these two books, but the hype is for real. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn will be number one on the New York Times bestseller list tomorrow for the second week in a row. This psychological thriller about love and marriage will make you forget you own a TV. Wild by Cheryl Strayed holds tight at number three after several weeks on top. It’s a memoir about a young woman who finds it prudent to walk thousands of miles in the mountains by herself.
Here are five reasons to read both books (Gone Girl first) right now.
1. However crazy you think you are, you will be assured of your sanity after meeting Gillian Flynn and Cheryl Strayed’s fictional and real characters.
2. The most difficult relationships in your life may suddenly seem more manageable.
3. You’ll be alive when you read these books. Hopefully, no one will be trying to kill you.
4. You’ll read lines like these:
“You’d just breeze in and be Fun Daddy. I’d do all the work to make them good people, and you’d undo it anyway, and they’ve love you and hate me.” –Gone Girl
“Fear, to a great extent, is born of a story we tell ourselves, and so I chose to tell myself a different story from the one women are told.” –Wild
5. You can friend both authors on Facebook afterward (they accepted me!) and find out more about what’s inside their insightful, genius minds.
Have you read either? Did you go crazy in the best kind of way?Add a Comment
Tags: bestseller, Cheryl Strayed, Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl, New York Times bestseller, Oprah, psychological thriller, Wild | Categories: Best Sellers, Fiction, Memoirs, Mom Must Read, Must Read, Popular Books