Starting Solids

At Vera’s four-month appointment, the doctor mentioned that a little rice cereal in her belly might help her start sleeping through the night again. I just couldn’t bear it. Roy started solids at 6 months old, and I assumed I’d wait that long with the chunky monkey, too.

And then I didn’t get a decent night’s sleep for another month and thought, What the hell? Let’s give it a shot.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have an eater:

Rice cereal went over well last weekend. She’s still deciding about banana, which we sampled this week. Avocado and sweet potato, purchased today, are next in line. It’s a new era.

Part of my hesitancy last time was that feeding a baby in a manner that did not involve simply attaching her to my boob sounded like so much work. Choosing the right foods, plus the right amounts, plus watching for allergies, plus using the correct BPA-free eating equipment, plus choosing a proper eating space, plus finding the time, plus cleaning up a new mess. And so on. The “eating thing” loomed, ready to topple what little hard-won confidence about kid-having we’d finally established those first few months.

Once we dove in, it was actually pretty fun. We made our own food. Roy and I would cruise the local farmers’ market for in-season possibilities, then drag the haul home, where Clint and I would cook and puree it, then freeze the leftovers in ice cube trays for future use. We’ll do the same for Vera.

Hopefully she’ll show her appreciation by sleeping through the damn night.

When did you introduce solids? Why?

Back To Love & Diapers
  1. by Kim

On July 14, 2012 at 8:16 pm

We didn`t CHOOSE to start solids with my son, at 3 months old he scooted up to his sisters abandoned chex cereal, and we hear `cough, cough CRUNCH.` the next day I went baby food shopping. If he was gonna eat chex with no teeth, we figured we should atleast get some fruit in there too!

2. by Berit Thorkelson

On July 16, 2012 at 9:37 am

Well, if that’s not a clear indication of readiness. Funny!

3. by Eve

On July 16, 2012 at 9:48 am

We gave Milo avocado at 4 months. That was about it. We went down the same path, we just pureed whatever we ate and let him try some. By 7 months he liked his solid food. He still loves his, “mama milk” (yes, still), but remains a good eater.

Did she give you a whole night yet?

4. by Berit Thorkelson

On July 16, 2012 at 9:52 am

Eve: You pureed whatever, really, or only whole foods? I ask because I was so strict about single ingredients, wait four days, etc. And no. She’s not given me a full night yet. Not even close.

5. by Eve

On July 16, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Neither of us have any allergies, so we were naively confident in feeding Milo. We tried to give him one food at time, but often, it ended up truly being whatever we were eating. Again, I’m married to an organic farmer/chef. He makes pretty wholesome/whole food dishes. Eric did slide peanut butter in there without telling me, oh, and i put my foot down about the honey. Milo could eat both by the spoonful.

What about trying some healthy fats? Smoosh up an avocado and add some olive oil. I can’t remember what age nut oils are okay. But if you are leery of the olive oil, maybe just avocado. They are good and fatty.

I’ll start saying prayers for a full night. I could use some prayers for interest in the potty.

6. by Amber

On July 19, 2012 at 9:21 am

I started feeding my son solids at 5 months old– he was starting to get teeth and was somewhat underweight, so I thought I’d give it a shot. This was my first, so I was super cautious at first, but eventually, I threw caution to the wind and added strawberries, much to the chagrin of at least one of my mom friends. At fourteen months, they’re still one of his favorite things to eat.

7. by Solomon Larotta

On August 21, 2012 at 8:39 pm

not true because no body would pay