Where’s the Oddest Place You’ve Nursed?

I’m not necessarily a lactivist. It’s just that I have a newborn who demands to eat quite a bit. And if we’re out and about, I’m going to feed her. I’m nursing exclusively, so feeding her means attaching her to my boob. Having a newborn as well as a toddler also means that I don’t have the time, energy or self-consciousness to worry about whether or not that dude over there will be bothered by the sight of a baby eating as nature intended. I just don’t give a sh*t. Wait, does that make me a lactivist by default?

I kind of just like saying that word.

So it was Family Day at the hair salon last weekend. For the three of us, at least. I was in for a long overdue foil, and at the last second, my awesome stylist agreed to sneak the boys’ haircuts in while I was processing. (Christine happens to have a son about Roy’s age as well as a newborn daughter at home, so she’s 100% down with our crazy/volatile family situation at this moment.)

Initially, I’d envisioned this outing as a chance at a little me-time. But after the boys got involved, it was clear it’d be anything but. The big question was: What to do with Vera? The girl does not sit silently in her car seat, whether or not it’s locked into a moving vehicle. She usually does sit silently on me, but could she be counted on to perform (meaning not perform?) on command? Newborns. So darn unpredictable.

We decided not to chance it, but rather let her roll with the boys. I’d sneak in a quick nursing session during the dudecuts. Then she’d take off with the boys again.

But Vera is definitely a mommy’s girl. She screamed for nearly the entire hour I was gone. Once the three of them got to the salon, she nursed and then fell sound asleep in my arms. So after the boys were nicely sheared, we decided it was best for everyone’s sanity if she just remained snuggled in my arms.

Of course the sweet snuggling stopped abruptly once we went in for a rinse. So there I was, reclined in the wash station (right off the busy waiting area, by the way), my head in the sink, cape thrown aside, tanktop and nursing bra stretched down, adjusting that little newborn body against my tummy with one hand while blindly navigating her wailing mouth to my bare nipple with the other. Nothing to see over here, folks! Just feeding my screaming kid while getting my fancy beauty needs attended to! Move along!

Darned if I didn’t successfully nurse her in that awkward position, then proceed to have my first-ever haircut/babygazing session.

And so the day brought two milestones: Our first girls’ salon outing, and my oddest nursing experience yet.

Back To Love & Diapers
  1. by Liz

On March 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I love this! I also love that Christine is back…:) Vivian needs a haircut like nobody’s business. I think my strangest place to nurse was at Underwater World (or whatever it’s called now) at the MOA.

2. by Jessica

On March 29, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I don’t think I can top yours. But I nursed as discreetly as possible while sitting by the front window in Cafe Barbette. That’s my most public so far.

3. by anti Jen

On March 30, 2012 at 10:07 am

Ha! That is awesome. The “ah, screw it” factor really ratchets up after the second kid, doesn’t it? I love that you got to the salon under no uncertain terms. If mama ain’t happy, nobody’s happy.

4. by Corey Beth

On March 30, 2012 at 10:24 am

I’ve nursed in several odd places, but the most notable was the 6 week check-up at the OBGYN. My daughter Olivia insisted on nursing, and it was time for my exam…well, there I was, feet in the stirrups, daughter nursing happily away. My doctor actually commented “it’s amazing what you can do while nursing huh?”
    She’s also been nursed in restaurants, and at the kitchen table over family dinner.

5. by Sonya

On March 30, 2012 at 7:19 pm

The strangest place I’ve ever nursed is at a Wiggles concert. I was pretty well covered though.

6. by Kristina

On March 30, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Oddest place for us – inside a Christmas tree. We were waiting to see Santa and right before you go to sit on Santa’s lap you pass through the middle of a Christmas Tree. After the long wait on line, my 9 month old daughter was too cranky and hungry to sit on Santa’s lap without screaming. So at the last minute I sat down on the bench they had (for tired impatient children I assume) and nursed away. We had to let half the line behind us go ahead but the picture came out great with my rosy-cheeked and happy daughter and her first visit with Santa.

7. by nicole

On April 2, 2012 at 4:52 pm

The oddest place was in the floor if my church by the alter

8. by Virginia T.

On April 2, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Oddest place I ever nursed? We took a trip to Seattle for a friends wedding. While in town we decided to go to The Space Needle. It was the end of the night we were nearly the last people in line to go up. We had been in line for maybe 5 minutes and my then 6 month old daughter started getting hungry. So I nursed her while we waited in line, as we approached the elevator to go up they took a souvenir picture. She nursed for about 30minutes, nearly the entire time we were in line and while they took the family picture. What a great memento from our trip!

9. by Amy

On April 2, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Fenway park surrounded by 40,000 Red Sox fans! Right in my seat. I expected some comments but all anyone talked about was how cute the baby was! Great experience.

10. by Holly

On April 3, 2012 at 2:31 pm

At the side of a running trail, my four month old loved the running stroller, but was not going wait until the end of the 5k so I sat under a tree at the side of the trail as other runners passed.

11. by Leigh

On April 10, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Love this. I nursed anywhere I needed to, but I think the oddest was WHILE RUNNING (or at least very quickly striding) through the airport to make a flight connection. Thank goodness for ring slings…

12. by Becky

On April 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I am new to nursing with my 4 week old daughter. My 4 year old and I could never get it to work. But with my daughter, it’s still a work in progress. I found out that I have flat nipples, so that’s been a burden for me, as well as her. She keeps breaking the latch, so I have to help her find it again. My first real attempt at a public nursing came at an Olive Garden on Easter. I just got my appitizer, when my daughter decided she wanted hers. I tried to cover her with a nursing blanket, but she kept breaking the latch again. I got so stressed, that I had to go out to my car to let her eat. By the time I came back, dinner was served. Still not comfortable leaving the house. I need to get better at this.

13. by Merry

On April 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Loved your post! And love the photo that accompanied it. And “lactivist”! Never heard it before, but now I’m gonna be using that word! The strangest place that I’ve nursed my son thus far was in the Shoe Dept. at Target! Probably the strangest place because only old men where actually looking at shoes at the time! Breasts were created for feeding our children. Get over it people!!

14. by Karla

On April 10, 2012 at 1:45 pm

On a moving hayride at a local nature center. Not ideal, but I didn’t have a bottle with me and it had to be done, for the sake of my hungry baby and the sanity of all on board. I figured that if my fellow hay-riders had gone to such lengths to admire mammals in their natural habitat, then they could very well be accepting of me for a few moments. I was covered up, and am also a mammal. :)

15. by Stacey

On April 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I love this, good for you!! I nursed all four of my kids whenever, where ever they needed fed. And as each one comes alone you care less and less what anyone thinks (age may help with that also)!! Oddest, that I can think of was grocery shopping while pushing the cart or maybe the Coyote hockey game or elementary school spring concert or maybe the special olympics or my oldest school dance I helped chaparone, at work while helping customers (I was an office manager) – lol!! guess there are more than I thought. Oddest position was while my second was sitting in her car seat in a VW bug and I hung over her so she could nurse while Daddy drove (didn’t have time to pull over), I wasn’t comfy, but she ate and went to sleep, mission accomplished!

16. by Rebekah

On April 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Most PUBLIC place would be Target the day we were discharged from the hospital. He was 5 weeks early and i was not quite ready. Oddest place would have to be the swimming pool at my sisters birthday party. He was 3 weeks old and exclusively nursing. It was easy access however I had very little to cover up with, so I remained in the water with just my chest above the water line!

17. by Robin

On April 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I’ve also had to nurse while leaning over the carseat while my husband drove. Not fun and a little scary but it was necessary at the time.

18. by Misty

On April 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Took my newborn to the county fair and say down on a cement bench looking thing… My husband looked up at the sign and I’ll be damned if I wasn’t nursing in the cow milking station.

19. by Jennifer

On April 10, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I had to take the truck to get new tires, ’cause hubby had been called into work. Lil guy was, oh, Idk, about a month old. We were sitting in the waiting area, having difficulties (he’s my first) staying latched and covered. I finally gave up on the blanket and just let him eat. Apparently, the tire techs had a question for me, because I could hear like three of them arguing behind me on who was gonna come over and talk to me. Finally the one said, my wife’s pregnant and she’s planning on breastfeeding. I might as well get used to it. You still should have seen the look on his face and his red ears. Lol.

20. by Amber

On April 10, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Playing Putt Putt with a group of friends. It’s the best I’ve ever golfed!

21. by Christiane

On April 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm

am from Germany and I can’t believe that breastfeeding in public is still such an issue in the US. I nursed my daughter in all kinds of restaurants in Germany. most of the times without a cover. people should just get over it. it’s natural, it’s life!

22. by Moriah

On April 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Great articel! I’ve also nursed my daughter while getting a hair cut/color. Mom’s have to multi-task!! I’ve nursed on a train, plane, boat, taxi, submarine, while walking down the street, in countless stores/restaurants, and even on a hay ride through a working dairy farm…the irony of which is not lost on me!

23. by Kim

On April 10, 2012 at 3:30 pm

In the middle of a rack of clothing at a store. My son was a lot hungrier than I thought he would be and my shirt was not nursing approved whatsoever, and the dressing rooms were full, so I stepped between the clothes, whipped off my shirt, and went to town. The clothes were high enough and thick enough on the rack that no one could see anything.

Though, I’ve also nursed in a ball pit.

24. by molli

On April 10, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Just last week on the San Antonio River Walk. I didn’t have my cover with me, so I was trying to find a discreet place (not much luck, lol). The spot i chose just happened to be where the boats turned around and my husband, 3 year old daughter, brother, sil, and their 16 year old triplets were on one of the boats. I just smiled and waved :)

25. by Angel-lena

On April 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm

i cna’t really think of an odd place but the ladies at the fitting rooms in my local Walmart know us when they see us, lol. Something about Walmart seems to make her hungry…. However, the funniest situation where as a working mom I’ve had to pump was at a required all college meeting (I work at a community college) that was not on my campus so I couldn’t use my private office as usual. I had to ask the (all male) maintenance staff where I could find a private place to pump….and then explain exactly what I meant and that I didn’t have all day for them to get over it, LOL! Some of these stories are priceless, Neither of my two would/will nurse with something on their heads so I usually have a game plan before I head out just in case. I’ve nursed descretely in lots of places, but nothing really odd comes to mind.

26. by Shannon

On April 10, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I have 6 children and I have nursed all of them, 4 of them exclusively. I have nursed in so many places I can’t even remember them all. I have nursed at the beach. I have nursed at the car dealership while negotiating prices. I have nursed in restaurants, at church, in cars, at friends houses, at the park, in the airport, while on a walk, at the zoo, on the tram, at various stores, the hair salon, the doctor’s office, you name it, I’ve probably nursed there. The place that made me giggle the most was when we got a family sized blow up pool a couple summers ago. My baby was just a few months old and I was in the pool and she felt the need to nurse so I put the ringed innertube around my waist to support her and latched her on. We lazily floated around in the 3 ft pool and daddy took pictures to commemorate the moment.

27. by Beth

On April 11, 2012 at 1:11 am

I’ve nursed my kids while walking through IKEA and the state fair. I’ve nursed on the World’s longest gondola ride (at Silver Mountain resort in Idaho). I’ve nursed in a bar (with a flashing beer sign above my head) that masqueraded as a family restaurant for lunch.

The place that seems most odd for me is the shower. I’ve nursed both of my kids in the shower more than once. Sometimes I would be bathing them in the shower with me and they just decided to eat because it was easily available. Other times, I was taking a shower by myself and my husband brought me a hungry baby.